Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, and I think that contributes to the worldbuilding just as much as a unified building world. And G-Reco has that too.

Like for example the Rekten is exactly what it needs to be. It is a simple and colorful suit, very plainly not a meaningful threat in any way, shape or form because it's not supposed to be. It's effectively a big toy for a childlike people. Then the Reksnow is the first attempt to weaponize it and it is clearly just bits of armor and a gun stapled onto the existing frame in a way that makes it look both dangerous and silly because it's supposed to be. It'd be like trying to weaponize an AIBO.

Now to compare it to something else, the Jahannam is an absolute masterpiece of a design. It's a combo of GM and Zaku aesthetics and it looks far more dangerous at first blush than a Rekten while also telling you at a glance that this is a later UC unit from the time the Zaku and GM effectively have stopped having meaningful differences. And that also makes it clear it is a mook unit, just one from a long-future date. Without seeing the in-between units you know at a single glance what this machine is. Likewise look at the Trinity and you know it is of the Quebely line, the Armorzagen is clearly a Zeonic knockoff MA/MS hybrid, I don't even need to explain the Z'goky. The design sense of G-Reco is so good that you know instantly that all of these units are evolutions from existing units.

And then you get the weird one-offs which fit absolutely within the concept of "here is a grabbag of stuff from Gundam shows that don't exist" because of course they do. Here is the random fuckin' Episode of the Week stuff that we never got to see and instead we get the full weird horror of what amounts to a later-stage Zakarello only in the hands of metaphorical and literal children.

G-Reco manages to make an absolutely absurd number of cool looking new suits that all none the less tell a unified story of gradual revivals of ancient suits or hodgepodge of new and old technology. It depends somewhat on Gundam knowledge for the full effect but that is unavoidable because it is still in the UC setting.

It's also worth remembering that G-Reco is a lot of visual storytelling, with once-off lines or background details actually explaining plot points, and the mecha design is a full-on part of that.

Also, all the nations/factions have their own little pieces of visual storytelling, like the Amerians' ball cockpits (which become smaller and flatter in their more advanced and modern designs) and the Capital Army's fondness for leg-mounted weaponry (so they can make use of all of their limbs in aerial combat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, all the nations/factions have their own little pieces of visual storytelling, like the Amerians' ball cockpits (which become smaller and flatter in their more advanced and modern designs) and the Capital Army's fondness for leg-mounted weaponry (so they can make use of all of their limbs in aerial combat).

Yeah, or how the Towasanga mecha have clear Zanscare inspirations and a mask theming. The Elmore is a Jahannam head beneath a mask and the Neodu is a Gundam head beneath a mask.

Which is a fantastic bit of visual storytelling. Here's some unknown Gundam-style unit which effectively is being covered up by something more Zanscarian. It's some other unit giving a Towasanga makeover that leaves it totally unrecognizable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another neat thing is that you can tell a faction's technology level by the kind of beam weaponry it uses. The Amerians clearly seem to be quite new to the concept - they still use a few physical melee weapons (like the Grimoire's knife), and everything else - the Space Jahannam's axe, the Hecate's chainsaw-glaive, and the ubiquitous beam whips - is a physical weapon edged or wrapped in a mega-particle field. The Capital Army, meanwhile, has 'proper' beam sabers as standard issue, and can mount more and better-performing beam guns on their suits. They're basically at a Zeta Gundam tech level. Towasanga is about the same, but a little more refined, with some examples of incredibly advanced Venusian tech like the Gaitrash's beam curtain and the G-Self's photon armour. Then there's the Venus Globe, and more specifically the G-IT Labs, whose Minovsky tech is extravagantly batshit insanity all day every day.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I actually missed some of that shorthand, and having it pointed out makes me appreciate G-Reco's designs more than I did. Seeing more of a connected design language helps make the Mobile Suits feel like more than just individual neat mechs.

It's not enough to make me think of it as the top tier, let alone putting it miles above any other series, but it does elevate them as part of an interesting-but-messy series.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just watched that first Thunderbolt movie, since Gundaminfo put it up a few days back. It ruled. Super cool and really got that 'horrors of war' thing down well. The tech seems a bit more advanced than what was actually available during the one-year war, but maybe the beams were that powerful and I'm just forgetting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just watched that first Thunderbolt movie, since Gundaminfo put it up a few days back. It ruled. Super cool and really got that 'horrors of war' thing down well. The tech seems a bit more advanced than what was actually available during the one-year war, but maybe the beams were that powerful and I'm just forgetting.

Apsalus could punch through a mountain, so beam power isn't a big issue. Everything else gets a bit messier.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chiasaur11 posted:

Apsalus could punch through a mountain, so beam power isn't a big issue. Everything else gets a bit messier.

look, nobody else could've wired three dom reactors together like that okay

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with 5 or so linked dom reactors you could replace the sun.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the information provided to us by the setting tells us that dirt and rock and related materials are somehow especially vulnerable to charged megaparticles in a way they are not vulnerable to conventional kinetic or explosive payloads.

Bandai put the 0083 movie up too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFKInoqrgZw

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 28, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Thunderbolt has pretty explicitly come out and said it's an AU UC story because the author has no interest trying to keep it consistent with later UC entries, but honestly the power of the beams is about accurate to what they could be like even if Thunderbolt was trying to keep it consistent. As Chiasaur said, the iffy stuff is literally everything else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The original Mobile Suit Gundam had plenty of large and powerful beam weapons, and the Big Guns (yes, that is their official name) that the Living Dead use are literally just stripped-down battleship guns looted from the surrounding wreckage and mounted on tripods. Nothing remotely outlandish about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah the UC had very powerful beam weapons even early on, they were just huge and power hungry.

The Gundam was a big deal because it offered a battleship-strength beam in handheld form. (Though the beam was smaller)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think one of the key differences is that Thunderbolt animates it's huge fuckoff beam weapons like SEED does, in a very fancy way, as giant angry firehoses of CG noise with a strong core and lots of surrounding mini streams, it's very out of place with how beam weapons look in 0079 or 08th MS or 0083 and such.

Also the sheer perponderance of beam usage in December Sky (yeah sure have dual beams why not) feels very SEED-like.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 1, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The United States posted:

I think one of the key differences is that Thunderbolt animates it's huge fuckoff beam weapons like SEED does, in a very fancy way, as giant angry firehoses of CG noise with a strong core and lots of surrounding mini streams, it's very out of place with how beam weapons look in 0079 or 08th MS or 0083 and such.

Also the sheer perponderance of beam usage in Twilight (yeah sure have dual beams why not) feels very SEED-like.

There are plenty of UC beams that look like that in side material. Beams are not remotely exclusively SEED territory and the early UC is *littered* with implausible powerful and prolific bean weapons.

It depends largely on the animation style more than anything

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Omnicrom posted:

Thunderbolt has pretty explicitly come out and said it's an AU UC story because the author has no interest trying to keep it consistent with later UC entries, but honestly the power of the beams is about accurate to what they could be like even if Thunderbolt was trying to keep it consistent. As Chiasaur said, the iffy stuff is literally everything else.

Honestly even then it wouldn't be that hard to reconcile with regular UC with a bit of creative usage of handwaving and retcons

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With how powerful beam weapons got in UC and with their push for miniaturized technology it's a wonder that their warships are still vulnerable to suit attacks. You'd think they could at least mount an I-Field generator on them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ImpAtom posted:

There are plenty of UC beams that look like that in side material. Beams are not remotely exclusively SEED territory and the early UC is *littered* with implausible powerful and prolific bean weapons.

It depends largely on the animation style more than anything
Yeah a lot of it is animation style and some of it is the design and look of that DS Gundam but it all adds up

Here's the mounted beam sniper too:

Arc Hammer posted:

With how powerful beam weapons got in UC and with their push for miniaturized technology it's a wonder that their warships are still vulnerable to suit attacks. You'd think they could at least mount an I-Field generator on them.
Don't we see battleships launch some sort of projectile that provides an I-Field defense screen a good distance from the ship when conducting ship to ship combat at some point in UC Gundam? In which case it seems that the problem is the battleships were only designed with ship to ship combat with a single axis in mind and mobile suits are able to get in close and attack from within the defensive screen or from angles it doesn't cover.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 1, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
UC battleships never really regained dominance after the one year war since mobile suit carrier fleets became the standard for big warships.

Gundam shows run on the idea that mobile suits are the accepted form of warfare with technological advancements focused on improving said method of warfare. A bigger suit, a smaller suit, a stronger suit, a technology designed to combat psychics piloting the suit. But warfare itself remains much the same across Gundam shows in how mobile suits are applied on the battlefield. They're a hybrid between jet, tank, artillery and infantryman given their loadouts.

On occasion you'll see shows challenge the use of mobile suits by presenting a potential paradigm shift. The Mobile Dolls of Wing or the Mobile Armors of IBO showing a move towards automated drone warfare. I'd be really interested to watch a show that focuses on the ways people fight completely counter to mobile suit combat. Rather than "we need suits to fight suits" it's "we don't have suits, how to we fight back?" leading to an exploration of how you might go about changing the nature of warfare away from mobile suit dominance.

Modern day armies have had to learn harsh lessons about the shortcomings of their method of battle in the age of asymmetrical warfare. A show where a Gundam is the equivalent of a predator drone and grunt suits are Abrams tanks fighting an occupation war against desperate people with manpads and jeeps could be really compelling.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The best part of thunderbolt is the soundtrack

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The United States posted:

Don't we see battleships launch some sort of projectile that provides an I-Field defense screen a good distance from the ship when conducting ship to ship combat at some point in UC Gundam? In which case it seems that the problem is the battleships were only designed with ship to ship combat on a single axis in mind and mobile suits are able to get in close and attack from within the defensive screen or from angles it doesn't cover.
I believe we see them deploy a sort of anti beam gas at some point, but my memory is failing at when. Other than that we finally see them adopting Beam Shields onto ships during the Zanscare era.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tsob posted:

They drew the line at Monsha though. That said, Jerid was one of the first people to pilot a Gundam.

I believe at this point there were canonically over 100 Gundams before the Mk2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figure i-fields don't scale up to that size very well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i figure i-fields don't scale up to that size very well.

But the Big Zam

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even a very large zam is smaller than a battleship.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Looking at the wiki it's height is a third the length of a salamis. Even if the i field is at maximum defensive radius then you could just put three on the ship.

Or just put one in a position where it could cover the bridge

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The General Revil deploys some sort of anti-beam countermeasure to buy some time in Unicorn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are anti-beam chaff fields in the UC but they seem to only be relevant in ship to ship/long distance warfare. CE has something similar with the Archangel's Anti-Beam Depth Charges which spread a cloud of beam-weakening particles.

The issue is that it only really protects the carrier from long range sniping and anything that gets close enough will gently caress you up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Arc Hammer posted:

Rather than "we need suits to fight suits" it's "we don't have suits, how to we fight back?" leading to an exploration of how you might go about changing the nature of warfare away from mobile suit dominance.

It's by no means a big part of 00, but I do like seeing them show that a reasonably effective way of defeating mobile suits is just a human-held RPG. Which, aside from just being a way they show the existence of child soldiers in that setting, does make sense; mobile suits clearly aren't good at hitting small targets and have some large structural weak points, one guy with a rocket launcher can basically put one out of action if he lands his shot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

deploying a battleship scale I-field is all well and good until people start shooting you with nuclear bazookas and anti-ship rifles loaded with HEAT shells, neither of which is going to be stopped by an I-Field.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The best part of thunderbolt is the soundtrack

Which is a huge compliment to said soundtrack considering how good the rest of Thunderbolt is.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 1, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jerid was inarguably a better pilot than monsha

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jerid managed to survive kamille for a long time. he's fundamentally worthless in every other regard, but the dude could pilot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jerid managed to survive kamille for a long time. he's fundamentally worthless in every other regard, but the dude could pilot.

He managed to survive a run-in with Amuro.

Jerid's a full on cockroach of a pilot.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My Gundam marathon continues. I've now watched War in the Pocket.

Really great intro, excellent action scene there. Kampfer was cool for all five minutes it was in the show. Bernard is a real bro. Christina is a real bro. Really strong last episode, great finish.

But Al sucks a lot and so the middle really drags. It also felt pretty dated, these days the action scenes would absolutely have been done from a low to the ground, looking up at the suits angle to make it seem bigger and scarier. I did like that Al's war trauma was 'just' losing a cool older brother figure and having his neighbor friend move away. Gundam often tends to go way too hard on the horrors of war.

Honestly wishing I would have watched this before watching Hathaway and Thunderbolt, I think my opinion would be much higher since those both get into the weeds of war bad as well.

Next up, I'll be tuning into 0083.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

Looking at the wiki it's height is a third the length of a salamis. Even if the i field is at maximum defensive radius then you could just put three on the ship.

Or just put one in a position where it could cover the bridge

This might protect the ship from counterbattery fire but it will do nothing against a determined mobile suit attack; even if the mobile suits don't have kinetics to use(which is extremely unlikely, since up through at least CCA most suits had secondary grenades etc), they can pretty much just carve you like a pumpkin if your own defensive screen fails.

I-Fields themselves are usually depicted as being dangerously huge power hogs that also have finnicky overheating and maintenance issues, to boot, which is why the only things that have them even all the way into Victory are one-off wunderwaffen mobile armors and very occasionally as an add-on part to a high end mobile suit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Al rules actually

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This is now the worst take in the thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Al is an annoying little poo poo but I can't help but like him since the whole point of the story is how he was forced to grow up in a downright horrific situation. He goes from ignorant of the cost of war to being the only person among his friends who truly grasps just how awful it feels to lose someone and have your whole world torn apart. I feel for the kid.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

0080 would be way better without Al, written around Bernie and Chris' passengers in the night narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would be much worse because one of its most effective points was this small child being the only one aware of the true horror of the situation while people around him treated it as just a neat game.

Chris turning Bernie into hamburger isn't as effective if nobody knows and having her know Bernie is in there drastically changes things.