Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Don't have those here. The meter maids have a hand-held computer that they use your license plate to verify if you're still good.

Finger Prince, how are you liking the AX-9? I was thinking about getting one of those and running it without the peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys do when you park in pay-and-display lots? Like, my receipt is literally going to blow away unless I... tape it to my windscreen?

In Toronto I've seen parking tickets secured to motorcycle windshields by clothespins. If the cops can secure a parking ticket without it blowing away, they probably expect you can do the same with a receipt.

Of course, that means someone can just walk by and steal your receipt for themselves, but that's your problem I guess.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moral_Hazard posted:

Don't have those here. The meter maids have a hand-held computer that they use your license plate to verify if you're still good.

Finger Prince, how are you liking the AX-9? I was thinking about getting one of those and running it without the peak.

I loving love it. It's the best helmet I've owned. I never knew how good having a brim was, especially since I forgot to pack my sunglasses! My old helmet had a flip down sun visor inside, but I prefer the brim tbh. The field of view through the visor is tremendous, it comes with a pinlock visor for the cold/rain. Ventilation is good and it has an air filter in the mouth vent. It has the little pads for sticking intercom speakers with that new type Velcro on the back integrated into the ear pockets which worked awesome.
The brim/peak is unobtrusive in most wind conditions, and you only really feel it if you tilt your head waaay up, or far to the side, or in a very strong crosswind (that's blowing the whole bike around and you have to lean into anyway, and even then it's not much). It's a quiet helmet too. In non-gusty conditions, it's decently quiet to wear without earplugs up to around 90kph. Even 100+ was doable for about an hour before it got annoying. Below 80 you don't really need earplugs at all.
It fits like other AGV helmets, so if that shape works with your head, you can't go wrong with it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

There's a biker stop cafe place with some tight curves just after, lots of them. My buddy had a bit of trouble with one, thank goodness for intercoms... I let him lead and set the pace after helping get his bike out of the ditch. He was fine, kept it upright and stopped, the soft shoulder just swallowed his tires. He did alright getting back on and continuing after that, I was worried he'd totally be parking it every corner, but he still remembered how to turn and kept up a steady, if leisurely pace. He said he just was a bit psyched out by blind corners after that.
Thanks for the route tips! I was trying to work out a southerly route that went by Crowsnest, but the museum was a fixed destination and it would have been a bit of a slog fitting it in going south. I'll definitely plan that section for next time I'm out that way.

I know the feeling; I'm just now getting back to basics of push-to-turn after the last time I dumped the SV coming off that stoplight. Stupid lizard-brain :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I usually tuck it under the grab strap on my seat with about half an inch sticking out. The wind won't get it there. It's easy to steal, but it turns out that a ton of people believe that all motorcyclists are lunatic gang members or at least have a pistol under their jacket at all times and as a result are actually pretty reticent to mess with a bike.

the pro move of course is to just back in between two cars in the free street parking and not worry about it in the first place

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys do when you park in pay-and-display lots? Like, my receipt is literally going to blow away unless I... tape it to my windscreen?

Depends on your municipality, here in Austin motorcycles and scooters can park for free in metered spaces.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I loving love it. It's the best helmet I've owned. I never knew how good having a brim was, especially since I forgot to pack my sunglasses! My old helmet had a flip down sun visor inside, but I prefer the brim tbh. The field of view through the visor is tremendous, it comes with a pinlock visor for the cold/rain. Ventilation is good and it has an air filter in the mouth vent. It has the little pads for sticking intercom speakers with that new type Velcro on the back integrated into the ear pockets which worked awesome.
The brim/peak is unobtrusive in most wind conditions, and you only really feel it if you tilt your head waaay up, or far to the side, or in a very strong crosswind (that's blowing the whole bike around and you have to lean into anyway, and even then it's not much). It's a quiet helmet too. In non-gusty conditions, it's decently quiet to wear without earplugs up to around 90kph. Even 100+ was doable for about an hour before it got annoying. Below 80 you don't really need earplugs at all.
It fits like other AGV helmets, so if that shape works with your head, you can't go wrong with it.

:thanks: :unsmith:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

And back to Enfield we go, possibly for the last time?

My little 30 mile ride up the mountains the other day was 100% fine, including doing a bunch of stuff that I'd expect to provoke a stall. Today I rode down into town, about 15 miles, again, no problem. Decide to take a backwoods way home, get about 3 miles up a 50mph road where I've been experimenting with going 60/65, since some of my earlier issues seemed to be provoked by speed -- poof, total loss of power in 4th gear going ~50. Would not fire back up readily. After a few minutes, fired up "wobbily" and I sort of limped it back towards home; when it stalled again trying to shift from 3rd to 4th I pulled into the driveway of a very suspicious lady who did not open her door but shouted at me that it was fine to leave the bike there until I could come back for it. Then I got to gently caress up my wife's entire plan for the day, since we only have one car and I need to lean on her upper body strength to load this thing.

So, it's trailered again, and I have a message to the dealer that's basically "lol" with an inquiry about how bad a bath I'll have to take if I just want to walk away from this bike right now. I will be curious to see what they say or offer to do for me; the owner so far has been very helpful and I can tell he's both surprised and annoyed that I'm dealing with this, but ffs if I had just bought a $4k SV400, I'd almost certainly just be riding it and not worrying much about it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

I admire your tenacity.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a really amazing looking bike. I love looking at it. What a pile of garbage though. Even the Chinese bikes are better and more reliable than that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You have some patience. After the 2nd time it cocked up, I'd have binned it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Maybe you could swap a dr650 motor in there

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

That's a really amazing looking bike. I love looking at it. What a pile of garbage though. Even the Chinese bikes are better and more reliable than that.

They very much aren't.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I'm really sorry man. You couldn't have predicted this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Thank you for reinforcing my decision to not get a bullet 500 as my main

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Thank you for reinforcing my decision to not get a bullet 500 as my main

current headaches aside, as a QA engineer I feel like I'm doing my duty

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

I have a little over 1000 miles on my 99 honda shadow VT750. So far I'm loving riding, I've been riding it the 25 miles to work every day it's not supposed to be raining. I have gotten caught in the rain once and it wasn't too bad. I've been looking at other bikes and I really like the look of the 2018+ Honda CB1000R but I can't afford it right now (and it has more power than I have skill) so that gives me a couple years to save up, prices to drop on used models, and my skills to sharpen in the meantime.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I have a little over 1000 miles on my 99 honda shadow VT750. So far I'm loving riding, I've been riding it the 25 miles to work every day it's not supposed to be raining. I have gotten caught in the rain once and it wasn't too bad. I've been looking at other bikes and I really like the look of the 2018+ Honda CB1000R but I can't afford it right now (and it has more power than I have skill) so that gives me a couple years to save up, prices to drop on used models, and my skills to sharpen in the meantime.

Rain ain't that bad, you just need the right kind of gear. I used to ride every day, but have needed the car for work drat near every day for months on end now (also the bike needs fork seals and a head bearing) but now it just gets used as a parts hauler when I'm doing serious work on one of the cars.

You sound like a new rider, so let me just say the difference between a 750 Shadow and a 1kR is what you can imagine and then another few orders of magnitude.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 12, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like, p61 vs f15 levels of difference.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

You have some patience. After the 2nd time it cocked up, I'd have binned it.

oh, it's gotta get back to the dealer, one way or another. My read of the NYS lemon law is that it already applies because it's already been in the shop more than 30 calendar days. I am trying to be civil and somewhat patient, though, because I really just want a refund, and not another Hima (which is their discretion under the law). I sort of imagine that most places are going to be happy to sever ties with a customer that doesn't want to be a customer anymore under these circumstances, but I bought the ticket so I've just got to go along for the ride. I'm also not real clear what "refund" means in the context of the $500 trade-in they gave me for my junked bike, but my guess is they're supposed to refund me the whole price off the ticket. In any case, I can't do anything until I talk to the owner there, and while I am going to keep calling, I'm also trying to not ring the phone off the hook because I know they're usually very busy and I doubt if I'm specifically being ducked (this has been less than 18 hours since my first call to them, though I did send a text to the owner this morning making it real clear I have serious safety concerns and just want to be done with the bike at this point).

We're already seeing nights in the 40s here, so I think this ends my season, in any case, and I probably won't get another bike until spring. At which point I will either get a new Ducati of some kind because of a corporate discount on it, or, probably, some kind of completely reasonable used japanese bike in the $5-6K range.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 12, 2019

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Wait, your employer gives a discount on Ducati? How awesome is that?

Also, sorry to hear about the Hima, Tim.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Moral_Hazard posted:

Wait, your employer gives a discount on Ducati? How awesome is that?

It's pretty cool, and also somewhat weird and unexpected, a random artifact of a business relationship that has zero to do with anything I work on.

quote:

Also, sorry to hear about the Hima, Tim.

Me too, but, I did feel like I was spinning the wheel on this. I spoke to the owner told me he's sold 12 of these this year and this is the only one he's had problems like this with so far -- but was very understanding of my viewpoint of "I don't feel safe on this and after yesterday I can't imagine ever feeling safe putting my wife on the back of a Himalayan". It didn't really sink in with me until late last night that under a somewhat different set of circumstances that kind of failure could have easily been fatal.

We actually have a relatively large Ducati dealership locally, I might have to test drive a desert sled. If I get a brand-new, expensive bike I'm definitely looking at waiting longer, but, after yesterday I'm figuring I'm done for this year anyway, and maybe I can talk myself into selling off dumb property I don't need over the winter. That dealership also maintains a pretty large used inventory including plenty of DRs. My experiences with them were good other than that they hate touching old Enfields, but didn't give me too much poo poo about it. Even though I worked in a (car) dealer long enough to know how much I hate the basic business model, I might gravitate towards looking at their stock and comparing it to what's on FB locally, just because I trust their guys to look at a bike for issues more than I trust myself.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Had some dude storm past me at the gas station today, trying to look all tough with the motorcycle gear. Grabbed my coffee, walked back outside to catch a glimp of him leaving on the bike. Stalls it at the stop sign, then just flat falls over going 0mph. Omegalul.

Unrelated, I have been loving my new ninja 650. Been pulled over 3 times in a week which must be a record for me. That feeling when you go to flee from a hit and run but then realize you knocked off the peg swiping a car so your only place to put your foot is the brake. "Sorry officer, I didn't think it was safe to stop".

The temp plate flew off in the rain cause some dude on a Harley decided to wheelie past me on the highway, I figured hey free tolls. Of course the day before the actual plate comes in some pig ends up behind me. "What do you mean it's gone?!"

The last was for doing 40 in the 35, absolute loving danger to society. Still no tickets from all this.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What the gently caress even is that post

Buy a GoPro

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apple2o posted:

Had some dude storm past me at the gas station today, trying to look all tough with the motorcycle gear. Grabbed my coffee, walked back outside to catch a glimp of him leaving on the bike. Stalls it at the stop sign, then just flat falls over going 0mph. Omegalul.

Unrelated, I have been loving my new ninja 650. Been pulled over 3 times in a week which must be a record for me. That feeling when you go to flee from a hit and run but then realize you knocked off the peg swiping a car so your only place to put your foot is the brake. "Sorry officer, I didn't think it was safe to stop".

The temp plate flew off in the rain cause some dude on a Harley decided to wheelie past me on the highway, I figured hey free tolls. Of course the day before the actual plate comes in some pig ends up behind me. "What do you mean it's gone?!"

The last was for doing 40 in the 35, absolute loving danger to society. Still no tickets from all this.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Buy a GoPro

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Apple2o posted:

I was going to say "Source Your Quotes" but two snarky replies on one page seemed excessive. However, I see I've already been sourced for my opinion :argh:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 12, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Apple2o posted:

I'm curious about your thoughts on depression and suicide.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's this, more lovely Enfield cha-

:yikes:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm curious about your thoughts on depression and suicide.

Decent album but as usual, nowhere near their old stuff.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I really believe you’re outrunning police on a 650

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Razzled posted:

I really believe you’re outrunning police on a 650

Just out lanesplit them. Except if it's a CHP on a bike because those dudes can ride.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

650 is more than 636, so it's faster than a ZX6R

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That reminds me of the guy I met who actually had some kind of brain damage, but cut up Ducatis into choppers and insisted a bike under a liter couldn't have more than 100hp. Then I met another guy who insisted on telling me about the non-outlaw biker club he belonged to who's main rule was you had to have an American bike with at least 1000cc, because anything smaller wouldn't have the torque to keep up with how fast they all ride. I don't know if Harley even makes a bike with an engine smaller than a liter? And I always figured they'd go by cu-in?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

That reminds me of the guy I met who actually had some kind of brain damage, but cut up Ducatis into choppers and insisted a bike under a liter couldn't have more than 100hp. Then I met another guy who insisted on telling me about the non-outlaw biker club he belonged to who's main rule was you had to have an American bike with at least 1000cc, because anything smaller wouldn't have the torque to keep up with how fast they all ride. I don't know if Harley even makes a bike with an engine smaller than a liter? And I always figured they'd go by cu-in?

Street 750 and Sportsters.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 13, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

And it's even in cc, I learned something new today. I was going to say it's not bad looking at first, but then I saw the rake + the front end

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wanna ride with those dudes on my wife's 390 and crush em'

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Wanna ride with those dudes on my wife's 390 and crush em'

Just be careful your license plate doesn’t fly off

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tim Raines IRL posted:

We're already seeing nights in the 40s here, so I think this ends my season, in any case, and I probably won't get another bike until spring. At which point I will either get a new Ducati of some kind because of a corporate discount on it, or, probably, some kind of completely reasonable used japanese bike in the $5-6K range.

Waitwaitwait, hold up, I can get on board with you buying a stupid, broken objet d'arte, Heaven knows I've made some emotion driven motorcycle purchasing decisions in my day, but ending your season in mid September? Barely a week into the absolute two months of the absolute best riding in the United States outside of California, where you can cruise for hours and hours on miles of gorgeous twisty highway between the Adirondacks and Green Mountains, dodging leaf peepers the whole way, while your rear tire kicks up red and gold fall leaves in your wake? Where you can wear a nice unperforated leather jacket and be perfectly comfortable? Stop for a hot cup of cider in some town in Vermont looking over beautiful red and gold rolling mountains?

Just buy a DR for 2 grand, and if you don't like it sell it in 6 months for what you paid for it.

If you're going to ride like a stupid loving squid, at least get a proper squid bike of the four cylinder 600, 675, or preferably, leader cc variety, instead of a dowdy dad bike with a boring, lazy p-twin and sporty pretensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Elviscat posted:

where you can cruise for hours and hours on miles of gorgeous twisty highway between the Adirondacks and Green Mountains, dodging leaf peepers the whole way, while your rear tire kicks up red and gold fall leaves in your wake? Where you can wear a nice unperforated leather jacket and be perfectly comfortable? Stop for a hot cup of cider in some town in Vermont looking over beautiful red and gold rolling mountains?

nah, you're right. I have cords of wood to split and poo poo, too, but I should be riding... and I will... on another Enfield, lol.

Update: sketchy bikes, great customer service from this shop

What I am going to do: The owner of the shop is going to swap this bike for a brand new identical one. He's also volunteered to drive and meet me half way so that it's only a 2.5hr deal for me, and not a whole day.

My other options:
(softball) - accept a buyout offer from the dealership which likely values my trade-in at $0 (which may not be too far from the truth), also take a $500 hit and be out the $300 registration fee. They presumably put the bike back into their inventory, get Enfield to send them a new one, and the person who made the commission is keeping it.

(hardball) - Under NYS lemon law, this bike has already been in the shop for more than 30 calendar days for a safety issue. As such, the dealer may already owe me a full refund including all fees - but this comes down to whether or not the dealership can convince the DMV that the 30 calendar day delay was "reasonable" for any reason. I have no idea how that would play out, but I do know that the idea of getting into a legal battle with a bike shop is not something I'm interested in. Basically, I'd probably just eat the loss before I'd do that, because the stress of dealing with it just to try to ensure I'm completely whole and the morality of the whole thing is correct, is just not fuckin' worth $800 to me.

Other relevant information that led into this decision:
This is the path of least resistance and gets me back onto a (hopefully lol) running motorcycle as quickly as possible (next week).

When the bike works, it is fun to ride and basically exactly what I want right now.

The dealer has sold a number of these in the past 2 years, and says he really thinks that I have gotten very unlucky, because he hasn't seen any significant mechanical issues on anything else they've sold, aside from bikes that were dropped at speed or involved in collisions.

As a career QA engineer with a tendency towards masochism that dates back to middle school, I don't want to get off this ride yet.

Finally, apparently Enfield corporate is real anxious to get their hands on this thing and rip it into tiny pieces, because while they had seen some issues like this on the earlier Indian model years, they feel that it shouldn't be happening on US bikes (duh).

Expect some more pictures soon, this time I asked for a white one.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 13, 2019