Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Its hosed up that there's Eureka

I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

eureka would honestly be substantially better if it had diadem style fates in addition to the NM trains and maybe had some dailies like 'kill 20 x mobs' or 'kill 20 mobs with your magia board set to x element' that rewarded a chunk of xp and some gacha crystals.

diadem 2.0 was not awful, but it did suffer from having to queue in as a party and the rng rewards (which is honestly something I wish they would bring back)

Agreed, hopefully things like this are in for Pagos.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I don't mind Eureka, it's not for me. But I wish SE simply expanded the FFXIV team so that we could have Eureka AND go back to having 3 Dungeons per patch.

Griz
May 21, 2001

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is really the crux of the issue: how well-received are dungeons, like actually? generally, yeah, they have cool environments and good music, but who is actually just queueing up for new dungeons just for the sake of doing the new dungeons? the gear is near-universally poo poo, the encounters get old after four runs, so what exactly do people even want them for? how many people are queueing into skalla just for the sake of it?

the dungeons that let you do really big pulls are good as healer/tank, like the last part of Gubal hard or the snakes and pepsiman/hands after the second boss of Hells Lid.

the bosses are all really easy, the gear is only useful for GC seals and glamours, and half the fun comes from parsing to see if I can beat the dps as healer, but it's 90 tomes for 15-20 minutes with no extra bullshit like instance-hopping or sitting around waiting for something to spawn and hoping you can get there before it dies.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Dungeons may be easy but you can still engage and be really good at them and noticeably affect the speed of the run and therefore feel like you did a good job. Eureka is like, how the gently caress can you even be good at it?

Running a dungeon feels like I’m playing a video game, eureka just feels like waiting.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 15, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Dungeons may be easy but you can still engage and be really good at them and noticeably affect the speed of the run and therefore feel like you did a good job. Eureka is like, how the gently caress can you even be good at it?

Running a dungeon feels like I’m playing a video game, eureka just feels like waiting.

This is the way I feel TBH.

Dungeons are not hard. They're probably never going to be hard. (Though I'd enjoy Savage dungeons but I don't know how viable that is.) But the difference between a good and bad run is palpable once you get past ARR.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bring back amdapor bees

RME
Feb 20, 2012

im glad that even if its only for like 3 months, ultima weapon will drop the ultima weapon for each class

RME
Feb 20, 2012

and its basically just as useless!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

IDK about being good at Eureka, but you can totally be bad at it. Before you're leveled, sneaking around the map without getting hosed up is definitely a skill, and after you level up, taxiing low level players can be also. NMs and some mobs do have mechanics, there's such a mass of people that you're never gonna wipe but not dying is a skill. There's also the social skill of trying to conduct the train and there are for sure Good Conductors and Bad Conductors.

Unless you're one of those people that just AFK there then idk, you're not really playing it at that point so what does it matter.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

The problem with Eureka is that everyone levelling will spend some massive amount of time vastly underleveled for the fates that the NM zerg will drive them to, so that fights are basically ineffectively hitting for double digit damage and then dying immediately to something they can barely see and don't understand. The end result is that levelling in Eureka is dragging their corpses from blue circle to blue circle until bars fill up, and alt-tabbing to youtube to watch videos of cats in the meantime.

This is a problem caused by an effect which has been causing problems in games for decades and will cause problems straight into the infinite future - your player base of millions is much better at optimizing progressing then your dev team is, and after like a week only the most optimized path is used. So instead of sticking to NMs near your elemental level and grinding regular mobs in the meantime you're pulled into Danger Noodle Death gently caress Hell Land all the time and end up breaking the content as opposed to engaging with it. Granted, the dev team is not doing themselves any favours by how terminally boring every other option for progression but the one currently in play across all Eureka instances is, but even if grinding mobs was somehow super fun people would still be doing the Blue Circle Cycle if that was faster.

If you're actually an appropriate level for a NM fight then suddenly instant kills aren't necessarily instant and you get a decent return on actually doing your damage rotations and have to engage with the content then they're actually kind of fun. They're not raid fights, but each one has 1-3 unique mechanics that force you to pay attention to positioning or what the mob is casting or whatever. But that was pretty rare unless you were burning hard at the start of Eureka's launch and now people tend to overpower any NM fight that's below Fafnir.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Meiteron posted:

The problem with Eureka is that everyone levelling will spend some massive amount of time vastly underleveled for the fates that the NM zerg will drive them to, so that fights are basically ineffectively hitting for double digit damage and then dying immediately to something they can barely see and don't understand. The end result is that levelling in Eureka is dragging their corpses from blue circle to blue circle until bars fill up, and alt-tabbing to youtube to watch videos of cats in the meantime.

This is a problem caused by an effect which has been causing problems in games for decades and will cause problems straight into the infinite future - your player base of millions is much better at optimizing progressing then your dev team is, and after like a week only the most optimized path is used. So instead of sticking to NMs near your elemental level and grinding regular mobs in the meantime you're pulled into Danger Noodle Death gently caress Hell Land all the time and end up breaking the content as opposed to engaging with it. Granted, the dev team is not doing themselves any favours by how terminally boring every other option for progression but the one currently in play across all Eureka instances is, but even if grinding mobs was somehow super fun people would still be doing the Blue Circle Cycle if that was faster.

If you're actually an appropriate level for a NM fight then suddenly instant kills aren't necessarily instant and you get a decent return on actually doing your damage rotations and have to engage with the content then they're actually kind of fun. They're not raid fights, but each one has 1-3 unique mechanics that force you to pay attention to positioning or what the mob is casting or whatever. But that was pretty rare unless you were burning hard at the start of Eureka's launch and now people tend to overpower any NM fight that's below Fafnir.

On top of this is you can't manage to get into a party with a few higher level people you can't even get Silver on a lot of the NM fates until you're near at-level. Add on top of this the fact that you do not get rewards for NM fates until you're within a certain window of levels to it means if you're new and leveling with the NM, which is the least mind destroying way to do it, for the majority of your time grinding you're getting nothing but EXP. I have no idea why they didn't just scale the amount of crystals you get to level but you just kind of have to grind for nothing before you're even allowed to start grinding for your Relic gear. It's a bad system. And it's only going to get worse as time goes on and the people who know what they're doing get better/level up more/don't need to do older stuff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Midnightghoul posted:

If you are running the NM train like a correct person, you can almost be weekly capped in a little more than 3 hours

I was running the NM train, but being level 7-9 I get fuckall for rewards outside exp I can't use anywhere except in eureka. :shrug:
Also, 3 hours is literally a month's worth of exdr, and for the first 15 or so hours the rewards are trash. I dunno I'd just rather do things that are fun. Doing giant pulls in dungeons and clearing in 15 minutes is fun. Waiting 15 minutes for a NM to spawn and doing absolutely nothing because you're doing 30 damage against most things the train will tag is not.

I'll still try to get to level 20 by the time eureka participation vanes, because considering the idiotic decisions recently, I'm sure the next tier will be locked behind this one and have poo poo I want/need in it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

bring back amdapor bees

This but unironically.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you think spamming aoes in dungeons is 'fun' you're an idiot. it's not like eureka is much better but i would honestly rather be able to watch a youtube video than have to spam overpower for sixteen straight gcds because everyone sucks rear end at the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you think spamming aoes in dungeons is 'fun' you're an idiot. it's not like eureka is much better but i would honestly rather be able to watch a youtube video than have to spam overpower for sixteen straight gcds because everyone sucks rear end at the game.
What in the game itself do you find fun?

I've been kind of on a decline because my FC is sluggardly lately but I primarily do this to hang out with my established friends in a wacky video game. I also have enjoyed making some friends in the game. I did encounter one friendly person when I tried Eureka but in the end all their efforts to help me get started were in vain because they were very high level.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you think spamming aoes in dungeons is 'fun' you're an idiot.

if you don't think spamming aoes is fun you're a literal hitler, hth

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I also like to not play this game while I play this game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Truga posted:

Seriously. SMDH if you don't crack a smile when you hit 30k dps for one brief glorious moment.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Leofish posted:

This poo poo's giving me Marvel Heroes flashbacks. Anyways, barely getting near the end of 2.1 content and having a grand time on Coeurl.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Leofish posted:

that's not what i said. i said if we're pretending eureka is just standing around idling, i would rather do that than spam one button for a minute and a half before running off to spam the same button again for a minute and a half, ad infinitem.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
aoe was fun before i started playing RDM

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I've been a little burnt out after playing for almost a year on this game and been considering it already, but Eureka was what finally gave me the motivation to cancel my sub for this game.

I tried it out a week after release and oh my god who thought gigantic walls of HP to whittle away at with barely an AI for thousands of exp, or waiting into already decreased (as of when I played) grind parties was fun? Who thought locking away progress until a certain level was fun? Everything else has already been said already.

The only thing I would say it's above, out of everything I've tried out, is probably Verminion.
Edit: Also ARR Relic Books. I blocked out the hideousness of that from my mind. Waiting for specific FATEs, traveling "Around Eorzia in 80 hours" only to wiki that enemy you can't find the location of in this area anyway, and the tedium of solo-spamming arr dungeons is a special hell etched into my heart.

I'll resub at least when two more patches drop so I can get more to do overall regardless, but it's sad is that this ate up so much dev time that really could've been used elsewhere.

The worst part is that this awful, awful neo-Diadam is where the Isle of Val plot ended up.

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 15, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

imo rework eureka around raised deaths also incurring penalties. being in a massive train with a billion rez bots is way too lenient for what's supposed to be a harsh wasteland. elemental exp should be gained much faster but also at constant risk of being lost so the grind is elevated by a risk/reward high.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

imo rework eureka around raised deaths also incurring penalties. being in a massive train with a billion rez bots is way too lenient for what's supposed to be a harsh wasteland. elemental exp should be gained much faster but also at constant risk of being lost so the grind is elevated by a risk/reward high.

Increase EXP gains by like 20 times and maybe this is fine.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
rework eureka out of existence and replace it with the dating sim they promised us on April fool's a few years back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rastan Beeza posted:

The only thing I would say it's above, out of everything I've tried out, is probably Verminion.

Oh, right, that still exists, doesn't it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truga posted:

Meanwhile: I hate Eureka!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Shere posted:

rework eureka out of existence and replace it with the dating sim they promised us on April fool's a few years back.

Didn't YoshiP promise a VR catgirl harem at some point? If they're wanting to squeeze as much money as they can out of people, well... market that to Balmung.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wish I could remove the word "objectively" from this thread's vocabulary

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

I wish I could remove the word "objectively" from this thread's vocabulary
Would you say it would be, objectively, an improvement?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

On top of this is you can't manage to get into a party with a few higher level people you can't even get Silver on a lot of the NM fates until you're near at-level. Add on top of this the fact that you do not get rewards for NM fates until you're within a certain window of levels to it means if you're new and leveling with the NM, which is the least mind destroying way to do it, for the majority of your time grinding you're getting nothing but EXP. I have no idea why they didn't just scale the amount of crystals you get to level but you just kind of have to grind for nothing before you're even allowed to start grinding for your Relic gear. It's a bad system. And it's only going to get worse as time goes on and the people who know what they're doing get better/level up more/don't need to do older stuff.

What annoys me is that the window is loving tiny. 1 level below or above your current level, and noone seems to be doing fates under level 5 now and on top of that the trains will vastly favor the higher level ones. So at lower levels not only do you get one shot by everything, you also get barely any rewards for the first 10 levels! Possibly more!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Don't forget the fun of having to trek across the entire zone to even catch up with the trains doing the high level fates, because you can't even use the aethyrites until you're 9 for some god forsaken reason.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I would really be interested in tackling some of the Eureka bosses in an 8 man setting. Some of them seem like they might be interesting if there was any effort required. Serket is a pretty fun dance assuming the AoE markers don't just give up after so many people appear on screen. Pale Rider is basically Odin, but he moves around a lot which I find challenging as a melee. Pazuzu has like a total add phase and everything. I normally just ignore them and keep slapping him, because nothing I do in Eureka ever has a semblance of mattering, but it looks like it could be neat.

I think that's the reason I'm ultimately disappointed in Eureka. It's the reason I don't like Palace of the Dead until like Floor 150 or something ridiculous like that. I do not enjoy content where I can't observe my contribution. I'm nowhere near the best dps in my raid group, but I know that I am helping to beat the boss in some way. Dungeons go by quicker when I try and hit all my buttons. Etcetera. In Eureka, I can just stand there and it doesn't matter. I can engage and get OHKO'd by a Wraith within seconds and it doesn't matter. In some of the clusterfucks like Polyphemus or Simurgh, I'll just lay there for a while after the raise has hit me (or several raises depending on how many RDMs are nearby). Why bother?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

I would really be interested in tackling some of the Eureka bosses in an 8 man setting. Some of them seem like they might be interesting if there was any effort required. Serket is a pretty fun dance assuming the AoE markers don't just give up after so many people appear on screen. Pale Rider is basically Odin, but he moves around a lot which I find challenging as a melee. Pazuzu has like a total add phase and everything. I normally just ignore them and keep slapping him, because nothing I do in Eureka ever has a semblance of mattering, but it looks like it could be neat.

I think that's the reason I'm ultimately disappointed in Eureka. It's the reason I don't like Palace of the Dead until like Floor 150 or something ridiculous like that. I do not enjoy content where I can't observe my contribution. I'm nowhere near the best dps in my raid group, but I know that I am helping to beat the boss in some way. Dungeons go by quicker when I try and hit all my buttons. Etcetera. In Eureka, I can just stand there and it doesn't matter. I can engage and get OHKO'd by a Wraith within seconds and it doesn't matter. In some of the clusterfucks like Polyphemus or Simurgh, I'll just lay there for a while after the raise has hit me (or several raises depending on how many RDMs are nearby). Why bother?
:same:
Fate trains made Eureka more accessible, but they also made any potentially interesting boss mechanics pointless. It's like going through Tam-Tara unsynced, but it takes hours instead of 4 minutes.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Decided to finally break down and resub. Called SE to reset my security token and turns out they're not open on weekends. Guess my fix will have to wait.

Last I checked I still had to beat the raid where the big dragon attacks the town. is there much content after that before I hit storm blood?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Decided to finally break down and resub. Called SE to reset my security token and turns out they're not open on weekends. Guess my fix will have to wait.

Last I checked I still had to beat the raid where the big dragon attacks the town. is there much content after that before I hit storm blood?

depends if you mean Steps of Faith (in which case you are at level 50, finishing up ARR, and about to start Heavensward) or Final Steps of Faith (in which case you are level 60 and about halfway through Heavensward).

or some other thing with a big fuckin dragon attacking a city that I've forgotten

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ride The Gravitron posted:

You're talking about Final Steps of Faith, right? That's a Trial, not a Raid.

But it's pretty much falling action from there until Stormblood, barring one final dungeon and a few solo duties.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Meanwhile: I hate Eureka!

Yes. There is no satisfaction to most of the combat you do in eureka. Almost all the bosses sub level 15 have barely any mechanics and for the majority of your time levelling up to 20, you won't be dealing meaningful damage to anything you are fighting. Plus there will be no shortage of times where you just keel over dead because the AE didn't show up. Which is a pretty good throwback to the poo poo tier games of yesteryear where that was par for the course I suppose.

Also, I play samurai so I have a fun AE rotation. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Hi! I got this game a couple weeks ago and I'm a level 32 archer, a couple quests away from becoming a bard. Game is really fun even if I have no idea what I'm doing. Just doing the main story quest and beating the obligatory dungeons with randoms. Um yea, that's it, I guess.