Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shy posted:

It's just a poor excuse for bad pacing. You can have rest breaks without the game enforcing them through leveling gaps, which generally have to be compensated for with side quests or roulettes, not exactly resting. A rest break is when an NPC tells you the job is done and you can rest now, so you can shut down the game and resume the next day without busywork if you don't want to.
I see I have used a word without clarity! Let me clear this up.

By "rest break," I meant clear points in the game's story where you have completed a mission - indeed several times you are told by an NPC "now you can rest, good work" - or where you have arrived in a new area with the story not presenting you with a clear specific time pressure because Minfilia needs you to get her a Choco Taco or what-have-you. There may be a better term of art for this.

Funnily enough I imagine if you leveraged resting XP you would get the exact effect you describe, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It is annoying to have to grind in order to progress the story, but it’s hardly something unique to final fantasy 14, the mmo that’s also a jrpg

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Nessus posted:

I see I have used a word without clarity! Let me clear this up.

By "rest break," I meant clear points in the game's story where you have completed a mission - indeed several times you are told by an NPC "now you can rest, good work" - or where you have arrived in a new area with the story not presenting you with a clear specific time pressure because Minfilia needs you to get her a Choco Taco or what-have-you. There may be a better term of art for this.

Funnily enough I imagine if you leveraged resting XP you would get the exact effect you describe, however.

So what's your point? Level gaps are still an artificial deterrent that limits you in the choice of in-game activities.
And no, rested XP bonus is nice but not that impactful.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Back when ARR was new there were multiple gaps even with all the sidequest exp. I imagine those gaps were intentional to get people to do other activities at the time, IE FATE's and Leves and such in order to train players for how to level up alt classes without quest XP.

Nowadays the gap is more of a tiny crack compared to what it used to be thanks to the advent of Roulettes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, unless you actively avoid both roulettes (which poo poo exp at you) and side quests (which don't poo poo as much exp at you, but starting in Heavensward poo poo HQ gear upgrades at you for the slots MSQ doesn't cover), you should never once hit a point in the MSQ where it's "gently caress off and come back when your level is higher".

Okay, maybe if you only avoid side quests, do your roulettes, but poop sock so hard that you get through a poo poo load of MSQ each day, I could see that possibly being a temporary issue, albeit one easily resolved with the pile of untouched side quests.

Back in the day, yes, you particularly had to grind it out from about 46-50.

Vil fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 16, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fate trains :suicide:

Whether or not you should get to play through the MSQ without optional content is sort of a philosophical question, but at least there are a lot of ways to mitigate the level gaps in the MSQ these days like all the bonus-XP items, LLDR, challenge log and per-job guildhest bonus XP (and additional XP from PotD or PvP/frontlines but I think these places are pretty dead again).

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 16, 2018

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

To be honest I actually enjoy Fate Trains. Its nice community content. Even better when you have friends to do it with, too bad my friend is too buys playing PSO2 nowadays.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Fate trains :suicide:

unironically better than eureka :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

unironically better than eureka :v:

I agree.

And I actually liked occasionally running them to get alt jobs to 50 in N.Than. - or the lowbie variant, PummelParties(TM) to get to 15 on every combat class before leves and later PotD was a thing.

They're not so great if it's the only content you can do to get something (Atma etc.) or level up in the absence of roulettes/quests.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 16, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I was just speaking about a set of armor that scales with you up to max. My retainer is filled with poo poo and I keep forgetting to make a second.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I preferred running piss cave over and over for that gap because I prefer my suffering to be an active burn instead of a dull throb

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Knocked out the 60-70 smn/sch stories.

Summoner: Eh. The node is a neat concept for a bad guy and its plan to make an egi out of the WoL was a neat twist, but the rest of the story didn't impress me. Never cared much for Prin or the squad of goobers in their standard-issue skirts and bras.

Scholar: I found this one pretty charming. Lalafell being perverts who will gently caress anything with a pulse isn't news, and I found them actually kinda fun. Still, I think by this point the scholar story writers either need to cure the plague or find a different plot, because even if things inevitably get sidetracked I think "let's find a cure for the plague!" has been the ostensible goal of the 30-50, 50-60, and 60-70 scholar stories.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I accidentally queued for MSQ roulette last night. Luckily, my experience in Eureka had prepared me for a thrilling 9 minutes doing nothing : 1 minute playing the game ratio.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I accidentally got into end game gathering last night. Whoops.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Summoner: Eh. The node is a neat concept for a bad guy and its plan to make an egi out of the WoL was a neat twist, but the rest of the story didn't impress me. Never cared much for Prin or the squad of goobers in their standard-issue skirts and bras.

I thought this was one of the neater stories, personally. Agreed on the cure in the Scholar storyline, though.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Cythereal posted:

I don't remember what was the story about, I only remember I wanted Prin as a minion.

And until lvl 70 SCH quest (or sooner?), I thought Alko Zolka is female.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 16, 2018

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I changed my class to Arcanist (to unlock Summoner in the future), is it normal to just run towards monsters and hit them with a book?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dwesa posted:

I don't remember what was the story about, I only remember I wanted Prin as a minion.

Allagan Summoner decides to copy down his notes via handwriting and magic to keep the spirit of his teachings passed down. Eventually, tragedy causes him to embrace the cold hand of science and create what is basically the CPU from FFIV, which preserves his data (and Sephirot's) as an egi. Said CPU goes mad with power, interrupts Prin's training and places a seal on its Summon Bahamut skill that won't dissipate until the CPU dies, and tries to kill the Warrior of Light to make them its new egi, but is ultimately defeated.

OgretailFood posted:

Is it normal to just run towards monsters and hit them with a book?

No. :argh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
never not smack your enemies with your book

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OgretailFood posted:

I changed my class to Arcanist (to unlock Summoner in the future), is it normal to just run towards monsters and hit them with a book?

Bopping monsters with your book is never wrong. In fact, bring a monk so your book does more damage!

But for real, unless mechanics force you to stand away from the target (even if that just means a trash pack throwing out lots of close AoEs) being right next to it is just fine.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Book smacking is extra dps.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Why do they even slap Dhit on so much healer gear. They don't really need help hitting stuff for the most part.

there's actually 0 DHit naturally on healer gear past a certain level, all the stuff that exists with it used to have a Stat called accuracy that got depreciated and replaced

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Thundarr posted:

But for real, unless mechanics force you to stand away from the target (even if that just means a trash pack throwing out lots of close AoEs) being right next to it is just fine.
Yeah, I noticed that while I only have Ruin and the glowing bunny, most enemies gather near me so might as well smack them when they interrupt my casting :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OgretailFood posted:

Yeah, I noticed that while I only have Ruin and the glowing bunny, most enemies gather near me so might as well smack them when they interrupt my casting :v:

Astrologians are even sillier. You swipe at people with your tarot cards.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Astrologians are even sillier. You swipe at people with your tarot cards.

Paper cuts are no joke :ohdear:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OgretailFood posted:

Where do you think the term "book club" originated? :rimshot:

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I hit 51 yesterday and my MSQ is about 11 levels behind me, and that's just from doing a daily guildhest and the odd duty roulette. I actually stopped doing DR daily because I was getting so far ahead of the MSQ level. All I'm doing now for quests (mostly) is the MSQ so that it can catch up a bit.

Also, Samurai is pretty fun. :coal: But man would I love some glamour sets. I imagine there's far more of a selection as you progress through Heavensward and Stormblood.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
do caster autos actually amount to any added dps? i was under the impression you didn't auto while casting etc

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do caster autos actually amount to any added dps? i was under the impression you didn't auto while casting etc

For RDM you get an auto attack in every other GCD. It's a tiny amount of damage though.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

It used to be kiiiiinda worth it in 2.0, but not since then.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I think my i340 WHM hits for 120 or so.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The true damage you do is to the monsters pride, letting them know that they just got clobbered by a book nerd.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Back in 2.X, the stat weights for SMN actually ended up being a little wonky due to book DPS adding up over the full course of a fight, since they were the only caster that could chain-spam an instant spell (Ruin II) and still remain competitive.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

For RDM you get an auto attack in every other GCD. It's a tiny amount of damage though.

I can't even kill Level 50 enemies with my auto-attack. :argh:

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Real pros still book smack. That 0.05% increase in DPS adds up over a couple thousand fights :colbert:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Beefeater posted:

Also, Samurai is pretty fun. :coal: But man would I love some glamour sets. I imagine there's far more of a selection as you progress through Heavensward and Stormblood.

Yes and no. ARR is held back a bit by the largely reused assets up to 50, but there's plenty of glamours to be had at 50 since SAM shares armor with MNK.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

RDM's sword damage over time for a tougher mob like in Eureka can make up for that last sliver of HP that I was finding that meant I had to stop and cast one more dang spell to kill them. so it can but outside that it's really not worth it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the dps difference between being DH and Crit melded for healers is approximately the same as autoattacking/not autoattacking, and people seem to care a lot about optimal melding

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Beefeater posted:

I hit 51 yesterday and my MSQ is about 11 levels behind me, and that's just from doing a daily guildhest and the odd duty roulette. I actually stopped doing DR daily because I was getting so far ahead of the MSQ level. All I'm doing now for quests (mostly) is the MSQ so that it can catch up a bit.

You can start spending your Poetics on Ironworks gear which looks really nice, kind of a cyber-samurai look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Spuzzz posted:

You can start spending your Poetics on Ironworks gear which looks really nice, kind of a cyber-samurai look.

Ironworks is probably my least favorite tank set thus far.