Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I would like to set up my guitar pedals so that I can send audio from any channel in Ableton out through the effects (via my Scarlett 18i8), and then back into Ableton. I was looking this up online and had a couple questions. Looking at my Scarlett 18i8, I don't believe that It has a Line Out that I could use to send audio to external hardware. I think that I would need another device with Line Outs and an SPDIF connection to link to the 18i8. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great.

Assuming I get the issue above resolved, I also read that I would need a ReAmp in between the Balanced cable coming out of the interface and the unbalanced cable connected to the pedals. Is that true? If so, is there a ReAmp that will do the job but is inexpensive? Thanks a lot for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a volume pedal? Not really interested in frills, just want something well built that does its job.

This question feels stupid (how hard can it be to make the noisy noisy go up and down?), but I have no context and, as with everything else with gear, it's always much more complicated and deep than it seems on the surface.

Smaller the better

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

I would like to set up my guitar pedals so that I can send audio from any channel in Ableton out through the effects (via my Scarlett 18i8), and then back into Ableton. I was looking this up online and had a couple questions. Looking at my Scarlett 18i8, I don't believe that It has a Line Out that I could use to send audio to external hardware. I think that I would need another device with Line Outs and an SPDIF connection to link to the 18i8. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great.

Assuming I get the issue above resolved, I also read that I would need a ReAmp in between the Balanced cable coming out of the interface and the unbalanced cable connected to the pedals. Is that true? If so, is there a ReAmp that will do the job but is inexpensive? Thanks a lot for the help.

The monitor outputs from the Scarlett will work fine. Nearly any passive DI (active DI boxes generally won't work for this) will be able to be used to convert the signal from balanced line to unbalanced instrument level by being used backwards between your Scarlett and pedal board. So the signal chain would be Scarlett monitor out -> DI output -> DI input -> pedal board -> amp. You should be able to get a passive DI for ~$50 USD.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a volume pedal? Not really interested in frills, just want something well built that does its job.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dvp4-7-10137-09463-5.do

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

The monitor outputs from the Scarlett will work fine. Nearly any passive DI (active DI boxes generally won't work for this) will be able to be used to convert the signal from balanced line to unbalanced instrument level by being used backwards between your Scarlett and pedal board. So the signal chain would be Scarlett monitor out -> DI output -> DI input -> pedal board -> amp. You should be able to get a passive DI for ~$50 USD.

Hmm, maybe I wasn't clear because using the Monitor Outputs completely defeats the purpose of doing this. Here is an example. I have an audio track in Ableton for my snare and I want to be able to route the Snare to my outboard effects so I can fiddle with knobs and dial in a cool sound. I imagine the setup is similar to any outboard gear like an EQ or Compressor, but this is new territory for me so I could be mistaken.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

Hmm, maybe I wasn't clear because using the Monitor Outputs completely defeats the purpose of doing this. Here is an example. I have an audio track in Ableton for my snare and I want to be able to route the Snare to my outboard effects so I can fiddle with knobs and dial in a cool sound. I imagine the setup is similar to any outboard gear like an EQ or Compressor, but this is new territory for me so I could be mistaken.

I don't have one in front of me but you should be able to run the snare to one of the monitor sends and use the other pair for playback.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

I don't have one in front of me but you should be able to run the snare to one of the monitor sends and use the other pair for playback.

The Scarlett 18i8 only has one pair of monitor outputs which I have connected to my Left & Right monitors. The 18i20 has 4 pairs of Line Outputs (8 total), so I am kinda peeved the 18i8 doesn't come with at least one more pair.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrSargent posted:

The Scarlett 18i8 only has one pair of monitor outputs which I have connected to my Left & Right monitors. The 18i20 has 4 pairs of Line Outputs (8 total), so I am kinda peeved the 18i8 doesn't come with at least one more pair.

How about a mixer? That's what I'm doing with my 18i8. Feed the Monitor Outs to two of your inputs, and as long as you've got two sets of outs, you can send one set to your monitors.

At this point, I have trouble remembering what it was like to use that interface without a mixer... dark, dark times.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

After The War posted:

How about a mixer? That's what I'm doing with my 18i8. Feed the Monitor Outs to two of your inputs, and as long as you've got two sets of outs, you can send one set to your monitors.

At this point, I have trouble remembering what it was like to use that interface without a mixer... dark, dark times.

If I’m going to get a mixer, I might as well save and get an Octopre or something. I’m running out of ins on the 18i8 by itself so it’s probably worth it to get that for the additional Ins plus the Line Outs.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
It’s wedding season, which means I’m being called for gigs. Any recommendations on a cheap amp sim pedal with di of some sort, preferably xlr out? No amps are the norm nowadays for these sorts of gigs and I don’t want to reinvest in a line 6 device when I have a good pedal board already.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Captain Apollo posted:

Smaller the better

Good to know, thanks for the rec!

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

hanales posted:

It’s wedding season, which means I’m being called for gigs. Any recommendations on a cheap amp sim pedal with di of some sort, preferably xlr out? No amps are the norm nowadays for these sorts of gigs and I don’t want to reinvest in a line 6 device when I have a good pedal board already.

I'm a big fan of Two Notes stuff. Get you a Le Clean. It's absolutely designed for the exact use case you have (great pedal tone you really like, just need a preamp + cab sim + DI box). Despite the name, the B channel has a very very nice overdrive, and like all their pedals, you can fusion the two channels together for even more.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

aunt jemima posted:

I'm a big fan of Two Notes stuff. Get you a Le Clean. It's absolutely designed for the exact use case you have (great pedal tone you really like, just need a preamp + cab sim + DI box). Despite the name, the B channel has a very very nice overdrive, and like all their pedals, you can fusion the two channels together for even more.

Thanks I’ll check it out!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

This question feels stupid (how hard can it be to make the noisy noisy go up and down?), but I have no context and, as with everything else with gear, it's always much more complicated and deep than it seems on the surface.

Ernie Ball volume pedals have been fairly industry standard for a while now.
Boss also makes volume pedals people like, too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My Rhodes is effectively a "stage piano," so it has a basic passive volume and tone control and works electrically just like a guitar. I just want something that acts as the in-between from the Rhodes to my audio interface, with drive, stereo tremolo and a pair of line outs (plus, preferably a headphone out.) Any other effects like chorus, delay and reverb would be fine, as would some sorts of amp simulation, but not necessary. I could go for regular guitar effects but I just don't want to have to buy a stereo DI & eat up mic inputs.

I just received a Boss GT-001 and initial impressions are not good just based on the user interface. I was hoping I'd be able to set the favorite buttons as patches like [Clean] [Drive] [Chorus] [Delay] and then have the four command knobs functionality change based on what patch I'm in, so on the Clean one I'd be able to turn tremolo on, adjust depth and speed, and reverb. Drive I'd be able to adjust the distortion, etc. Unfortunately, the knob settings are global regardless of patch selection - you basically have to click in a couple of levels and scroll over to the effect you want to adjust. I'm going to play around making just one patch with all the effects I'd want then just scroll around but it seems like it's going to be clunky.

I'm probably going to bail on the GT-001 and go with a Pod HD. At least with that thing it seems like I can set the knobs for a more easily tweakable setup, plus it has SPDIF out which would save me even more channels.

The other option would be this guy, the Tech21 RotoChoir. Very simple but seems to do everything I need aside from having a headphone out.

Or, is there something out there that just takes stereo instrument in -> line & headphone out? I don't need a DI, just a simple preamp.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Input jack on my delay pedal seems dirty (crackly when the cable moves, happens with multiple cables, is a big pain). Do I spray contact cleaner in it directly, or do I spray it on a spare plug and rub that around in the socket?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Is $115 on a mint, used Wampler Ethereal a decent deal?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Professor Science posted:

Input jack on my delay pedal seems dirty (crackly when the cable moves, happens with multiple cables, is a big pain). Do I spray contact cleaner in it directly, or do I spray it on a spare plug and rub that around in the socket?

Go direct, and plug and unplug it a bunch of times. Also make sure you use contact cleaner without lubrication, that poo poo will turn it into a mess in no time.

betterinsodapop posted:

Looks like a very good deal.
https://reverb.com/p/wampler-ethereal-delay-2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

betterinsodapop posted:

That’s an incredible deal for my current favorite reverb pedal.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Alright, I pulled the trigger on that Ethereal. Thanks for the help, dudes.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My Rhodes is effectively a "stage piano," so it has a basic passive volume and tone control and works electrically just like a guitar. I just want something that acts as the in-between from the Rhodes to my audio interface, with drive, stereo tremolo and a pair of line outs (plus, preferably a headphone out.) Any other effects like chorus, delay and reverb would be fine, as would some sorts of amp simulation, but not necessary. I could go for regular guitar effects but I just don't want to have to buy a stereo DI & eat up mic inputs.

I just received a Boss GT-001 and initial impressions are not good just based on the user interface. I was hoping I'd be able to set the favorite buttons as patches like [Clean] [Drive] [Chorus] [Delay] and then have the four command knobs functionality change based on what patch I'm in, so on the Clean one I'd be able to turn tremolo on, adjust depth and speed, and reverb. Drive I'd be able to adjust the distortion, etc. Unfortunately, the knob settings are global regardless of patch selection - you basically have to click in a couple of levels and scroll over to the effect you want to adjust. I'm going to play around making just one patch with all the effects I'd want then just scroll around but it seems like it's going to be clunky.

I'm probably going to bail on the GT-001 and go with a Pod HD. At least with that thing it seems like I can set the knobs for a more easily tweakable setup, plus it has SPDIF out which would save me even more channels.

The other option would be this guy, the Tech21 RotoChoir. Very simple but seems to do everything I need aside from having a headphone out.

Or, is there something out there that just takes stereo instrument in -> line & headphone out? I don't need a DI, just a simple preamp.

What about something from Strymon? Flint, Lex or Mobius might do what you want, though I don't think any of them has a headphone out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If the Flint had line-level outputs that would have been a contender, with something like a Soul Food in front.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I want this all so bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4afwsL0Cdt8

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ha ha I feel like a crayon eating retard; my Talisman reverb has been harsh as poo poo and I couldn't really gel with it so I always had the mix down really low. It turns out there's a high-cut knob which I didn't use at all, which tapers that off so nicely. I've been spending all morning playing lush cleans and it's amazing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Build a new pedalboard at the weekend, I'm quite proud of it. Just some 3" x 3/8" planks chopped and screwed, with a teak stain and gloss varnish - I won't be taking it to gigs but it was 1/20th the price of the equivalent Pedaltrain board.

I'm replacing the fender cables with some that are more flexible. With help from Gringostar on the forum here I've also been looking into putting my Delay and/or Reverb infront of the amp - I'm never really playing super heavy stuff (early Slayer/Megadeth probably the most aggressive tones) and it seems to work.

Probably the weakest pedal of the bunch is the SD-1 - it doesn't hump like the TS and it doesn't sparkle like the Klon, it almost has a low-fi scrambled sound. At £35 I'm not going to resell it though, and may see what I can do to mod it in some new and exciting way.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
since you have a klon and a TS i would look into turning into a gated fuzz with the following mod wampler came up with a while ago

r6: 1.5k resistor
c3: 1uf cap
d4: 1n34a germanium diode
d5: remove, no jumper
d6: remove, no jumper

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Heel posted:

Build a new pedalboard at the weekend, I'm quite proud of it. Just some 3" x 3/8" planks chopped and screwed, with a teak stain and gloss varnish - I won't be taking it to gigs but it was 1/20th the price of the equivalent Pedaltrain board.

I'm replacing the fender cables with some that are more flexible. With help from Gringostar on the forum here I've also been looking into putting my Delay and/or Reverb infront of the amp - I'm never really playing super heavy stuff (early Slayer/Megadeth probably the most aggressive tones) and it seems to work.

Probably the weakest pedal of the bunch is the SD-1 - it doesn't hump like the TS and it doesn't sparkle like the Klon, it almost has a low-fi scrambled sound. At £35 I'm not going to resell it though, and may see what I can do to mod it in some new and exciting way.

The SD-1 comes alive when you mod it and it’s easy to do. I cannot stress enough what a difference it makes changing some capacitors and diodes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are there any 2018 pedals you guys are interested in? Inflict me with thy gas please.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are there any 2018 pedals you guys are interested in? Inflict me with thy gas please.

It’s not been a wild year for pedals to be honest.
Russian muff potentially. Wouldn’t mind the Chase Bliss Condor but an EQ isn’t super exciting and it’s pricey.

Old Blood Noise Endeavours announced the Haunt Alpha today which is their gated fuzz with some extra controls so I’ll probably pick that up one day.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
The only things that have looked interesting to me are the tc electronic cheep pedals and the russian/op amp muffs.

Maybe the walrus audio $200 delay/reverb pedals but that's it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

UncleBlazer posted:

It’s not been a wild year for pedals to be honest.
Russian muff potentially. Wouldn’t mind the Chase Bliss Condor but an EQ isn’t super exciting and it’s pricey.

Old Blood Noise Endeavours announced the Haunt Alpha today which is their gated fuzz with some extra controls so I’ll probably pick that up one day.

I dunno about those Chase Bliss pedals. To me it seems like they have too many controls and options, which makes it really difficult to dial in the sound you want. I bought a used mk. 1 Wombtone recently, and it doesn't sound nearly as good as my block logo Phase 90 for that classic swooshy phaser sound. The Wombtone obviously has way more options than the P90, but I can't see myself ever using them.

I'm still on the lookout for a good phaser with an expression pedal control. The Spaceman Explorer looks really nice, but it's also very expensive.

As for 2018 pedals, I still love my Earthquaker Westwood. Nice light overdrive, good EQ, plays well with every fuzz I've tried it with.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Really want that Empress Zoia.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I've got my fuzz and distortion pedals of choice down, but I can not for the life of me decide what kind of overdrive I should get. A lot of the ones I see people praise online (OCD, Prince of Tone, Timmy) aren't in stock at any local music stores so if I got one of those I wouldn't have the opportunity to actually hear it in person first. I did really like the sound of the PoT from what I saw in videos, but it's also the most expensive one I've seen. Does anyone have recommendations for something that's more likely to be in a store so I can try it out myself?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Danyull posted:

I've got my fuzz and distortion pedals of choice down, but I can not for the life of me decide what kind of overdrive I should get. A lot of the ones I see people praise online (OCD, Prince of Tone, Timmy) aren't in stock at any local music stores so if I got one of those I wouldn't have the opportunity to actually hear it in person first. I did really like the sound of the PoT from what I saw in videos, but it's also the most expensive one I've seen. Does anyone have recommendations for something that's more likely to be in a store so I can try it out myself?

I would look into some of the ehx overdrive offerings. I liked the soul food and the crayon. The crayon really helps my peavey classic’s sound. Plus they’re relatively cheap.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the marshall guvnor and bluesbreaker reissue pedals from about 20 years ago are really underrated and super cheap

and don't sound like you're playing through an am radio like most overdrives

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a good selection of EHX nearby, the Glove is basically like the OCD.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Danyull posted:

EHX Soul Food is my fave

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

If there's a decent used market around remember you can buy what you're interested in and try it out in whatever different settings you usually play in. If it's not what you want just sell it for what you paid (or more).

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Danyull posted:

I just finished cheapsizing my board, meaning I sold 4 mid-tier pedals, bought 6 cheap replacements and effects that I really wanted, and came out $150 ahead. If you're okay with cheap Chinese pedals, go for the Joyo Ultimate drive. It's a $30 new OCD clone with slight more bass. It shines in mid to high gain situations, but, personal preference, I don't really like it as a low gain overdrive.

If you're looking for a good all-arounder, have $99 to spend, and are okay listening to demos rather than trying them in the store, see if you can find a VFE Pale Horse. It's a Tubescreamer without the mid hump, and features your average tone, volume, and gain knobs, along with high and low cut knobs and, depending on the model, either a toggle switch or knob to choose between LED, asymmetrical, or MOSFET clipping. I like this one as a low gain, but it can go higher gain than the Ultimate Drive, which, incidentally, it pairs with extremely well when placed after the Pale Horse. The sheer amount of options means you'll most likely find a few settings you really like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danyull posted:

Tube Screamer is a pretty big standard and not without reason, I like the OCD a little more but it can't hurt to give that one a shot.