Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Just everything about this fight irritates me. I mean we see Ippo getting bested at everything and the coach is like KEEP MOVING FORWARD. It's like he almost doesn't give a poo poo about Ippo. Takamura's fights are much more entertaining. Hell goddamn Itagaki's smug rear end fighting was more entertaining and I hate him.

I mean the fact that Ippo was like GOTTA bring out everything just screamed bad. Like what the opposite a boxer should do.

It's a shame, I mean this series has it's bright moments like Wolf becoming a champ. But Ippo? His fights just are boring rear end rising spirit bullshit.

Ippo's fights are a metaphor for the author's struggle to continue writing fights for Ippo and making him an interesting and likeable character. It's all very meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BigLeafyTree posted:

Ippo's fights are a metaphor for the author's struggle to continue writing fights for Ippo and making him an interesting and likeable character. It's all very meta.

I don't think he's struggling with it very much at all. I think this is exactly what he wants to do and, while it's a major bummer, we as readers have to move on.

To be fair to myself, aside from the anime I don't think I've read a page since woli and have been playing the ippo metagame of watching all yall mope.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DamnGlitch posted:

To be fair to myself, aside from the anime I don't think I've read a page since woli and have been playing the ippo metagame of watching all yall mope.

Oh, I thought I was the only one doing this, guess not :v:

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Just got done reading the post-ww2 arc. I mean its a good piece of story telling and all but i cant help but get the feeling that Morikawas been hanging out at the Yasukuni shrine.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

New chapter is out! It's on now!!!:D

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Eustace posted:

Just got done reading the post-ww2 arc. I mean its a good piece of story telling and all but i cant help but get the feeling that Morikawas been hanging out at the Yasukuni shrine.

I'm not even American and that arc made me go holy *poo poo* this dude's got a supremacy hang-up.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

New chapter is out! It's on now!!!:D

I assume you are talking about the raws for 1062? If anyone's interested, it just looks like the Metzli dude trying to recover during a 10 count. And then the chapter ends. I can't read Japanese though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

I don't think he's struggling with it very much at all. I think this is exactly what he wants to do and, while it's a major bummer, we as readers have to move on.

It's sort of sad, but since the woli fight, I've enjoyed nearly every fight that ippo wasn't involved in.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nilbop posted:

I'm not even American and that arc made me go holy *poo poo* this dude's got a supremacy hang-up.

I assume you are talking about the raws for 1062? If anyone's interested, it just looks like the Metzli dude trying to recover during a 10 count. And then the chapter ends. I can't read Japanese though.

Ah, I guess this chapter's been out longer than I thought.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Monaghan posted:

It's sort of sad, but since the woli fight, I've enjoyed nearly every fight that ippo wasn't involved in.

Well, after the woli fight, a.k.a. "the worst fight in forever" everything seems better.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Two new chapters up on mangastream.

In these two chapters, Gonzales stands up! The excitement! Can it be contained?!?

Oh and also This means my boxing is clearly effective at the world stage!

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
How the gently caress is this manga still going? I don't mean that from the perspective of how hasn't he ended it yet but rather how has it not been shitcanned? How are these ten page chapters where nothing happens deemed acceptable by anyone?

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Inertia, it seems like. At this point I'm just hoping for an Ashita no Joe ending.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Simoom posted:

How the gently caress is this manga still going? I don't mean that from the perspective of how hasn't he ended it yet but rather how has it not been shitcanned? How are these ten page chapters where nothing happens deemed acceptable by anyone?

The depressing thing is that it seems like it would be easy to make this good. There are so many things that could happen in this fight that would make it more interesting. Trying to insist that Ippo's style is fine and he doesn't need to improve/change is incredibly dumb.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ytlaya posted:

The depressing thing is that it seems like it would be easy to make this good. There are so many things that could happen in this fight that would make it more interesting. Trying to insist that Ippo's style is fine and he doesn't need to improve/change is incredibly dumb.

i liked back when it seemed like for every fight, ippo was being trained to deal with something the opponent was especially good at, and then added that to his repetoir of abilities making him better and better... that's just gone out the window for "dont die until the other guy does"

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.

Simoom posted:

Cancel a long running series with a dedicated fan base? Yeah, that's not how the manga industry operates. These publishers live and die by these series, they don't care how lovely the quality is because people will always read it when it's an established franchise. Once a franchise builds clout the publisher will milk it until the creator doesn't want to write it anymore.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1064 and Chapter 1065 are out.

Yeah, don't go back to the style that was kicking your opponents rear end, stick with this one that's getting you hit. Obviously the half-dead guy will be able to overcome the old way when he couldn't in his best condition.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does Morikawa even draw this poo poo anymore? How can the story be so poo poo when that's probably the only thing he has to do or some preliminary sketches maybe.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I hate both of these coaches. My God, they are terrible people.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Nilbop posted:

I hate both of these coaches. My God, they are terrible people.

And they are terrible coaches. One of them hasn't taught his fighter poo poo and just throws him at the meat grinder until the grinder gets tired and the other is rejecting sound strategy because he knows Ippo is the protagonist and has to win.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It seriously the worst logic I've ever come across. I won't tell him to calm down because if he gets hit he will go down. So I will let him continue to use the style that got him hit, and knocked down. RIGHT.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
By now I'm pretty sure that Martinez is number one because he has to have the single coach in the world who is not a bloodthirsty imbecile. Seriously, wtf is going on with this poo poo?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Strategy has no place in boxing you fool! Why back in the good old days days they called it the sweet lack of science!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
I'm still rooting for Gonzales. At least he wants to defeat the number 1, instead of attempting not to suck. Can we just do a late switch and make him the protagonist for the following 10 years of this manga?

Captain Narwhal
Dec 4, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

back in the good old days days they called it the sweet lack of science!

Gotta say this made me laugh more than it should've but it's such a good way of describing ippo's boxing

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Again:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, but Morikawa would make Homer win. But first Tatum (why the gently caress do I still remember that name? I haven't watched the Simpsons in a decade) would hit himself for six rounds, because that's his style, you see.

Luckily, Homer was saved by Moe, who recognized that he was in danger, unlike some other coaches that should be left unnamed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Raws are out: Ippo and Gonzalez go back to inboxing, but unlike the beginning of the fight since Gonzalez is hurting he is now getting hit during the exchanges. Ippo gets him dead on with an uppercut and sends him reeling into the ropes, where he nearly blacks out and from the context of the panel probably has that Scratch J "oh right I wanna fight Martinez again" inner-monologue. Kamogawa keeps flashing back to the monkey-kid fight and I think when his trainer warns him about a "disaster" or something. Ippo rushes the dazed Gonzalez, who snaps to just and time to charge back. Last panel is Kamogawa reaching out in a panic like he's trying to warn Ippo or something.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Raws are out: Ippo and Gonzalez go back to inboxing, but unlike the beginning of the fight since Gonzalez is hurting he is now getting hit during the exchanges. Ippo gets him dead on with an uppercut and sends him reeling into the ropes, where he nearly blacks out and from the context of the panel probably has that Scratch J "oh right I wanna fight Martinez again" inner-monologue. Kamogawa keeps flashing back to the monkey-kid fight and I think when his trainer warns him about a "disaster" or something. Ippo rushes the dazed Gonzalez, who snaps to just and time to charge back. Last panel is Kamogawa reaching out in a panic like he's trying to warn Ippo or something.

Ippo! He's trying to punch you! Let him do it, and punch him back!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I legit wonder if Morikawa will make Ippo lose just because he can't come up with a good reason to keep him from challenging Martinez.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

But there is a good reason for him not to challenge Martinez, he sucks at boxing.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Somewhere along the line Shonen spirit and guts got replaced with suicidal recklessness. I really hope they do something storywise with this, like Ippo getting some serious long lasting damage because of his style, because this is ridiculous.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
It's awesome that Ippo keeps reminding himself of his training, but aside from being more durable and better at punching than he was at first he has no tactics. He didn't do any training specifically for Gonzalez, did he? Like figure out his patterns or come up with a plan of attack?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Apparently he always snaps and goes mad in fights but they watched no tapes at all so they didn't know. :suicide:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KittenofDoom posted:

It's awesome that Ippo keeps reminding himself of his training, but aside from being more durable and better at punching than he was at first he has no tactics. He didn't do any training specifically for Gonzalez, did he? Like figure out his patterns or come up with a plan of attack?
He trained to get inside while dodging his really fast straights.

It sorta worked when Morikawa remembered that Ippo actually trained for it, but then he forgot and Ippo started getting sandbagged trying to get close.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Wild Horses posted:

Apparently he always snaps and goes mad in fights but they watched no tapes at all so they didn't know. :suicide:

Research is dishonorable

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yes I believe the coach got him ready for this fight by playing wiggly stick, which I remember because Ippo reacted to getting smacked with the wiggly stick as if he were getting hit by a truck, unless I am misremembering.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I was reading this article today http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-the-z-boys-of-boxing and it struck me how "ippo-esque" real boxing can be.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
So, I'm guessing that I can't post a link to the latest RAWs, but Chapter 1069 just got released. The fight with Alf (which originally began in 2013) has finally concluded. Where will Mori go from here? Your guess is as good as mine.

I won't spoil anything, or say anything else, but I'm very curious to hear about your reactions regarding the outcome. EDIT: Apparently even this attempt at a neutral comment is a "spoiler."

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 26, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jedah posted:

So, I'm guessing that I can't post a link to the latest RAWs, but Chapter 1069 just got released. The fight with Alf (which originally began in 2013) has finally concluded. Where will Mori go from here? Your guess is as good as mine.

I won't spoil anything, or say anything else, but I'm very curious to hear about your reactions regarding the outcome.

I haven't read the RAW but, "I'm very curious to hear about your reactions regarding the outcome" is about as big a spoiler as you can write.. Not that I care, but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

trucutru posted:

I haven't read the RAW but, "I'm very curious to hear about your reactions regarding the outcome" is about as big a spoiler as you can write.. Not that I care, but come on.

Yep, and this kind of nonsense is exactly why I don't post here anymore. I hate to break it to you, but that is not a spoiler. I'm not gonna sit here and argue about it, either. If you really feel that way, you better edit your post and add spoiler tags, because I just did.