Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It also seemed strange that Fuches didn't look for Sally or react to her calling out for John until I realized that everyone in that room is going to be completely deaf for the next five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

It also seemed strange that Fuches didn't look for Sally or react to her calling out for John until I realized that everyone in that room is going to be completely deaf for the next five minutes.

Yeah, also his priority at that point was just making sure the kid (the reason Fuches changed his mind about killing Barry in the first place) was safe and out of harm's way

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Watching the very first episode of the show, and people who were upset about the Walmart no waiting period gun in the finale must not remember the gun in the FedEx box with no packaging

I'm beginning to think this isn't a realistic show

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/PhasmophobicBoi/status/1660837056615002115?t=iSlWtD-cWpUPm21XMKaIXQ&s=19

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

Watching the very first episode of the show, and people who were upset about the Walmart no waiting period gun in the finale must not remember the gun in the FedEx box with no packaging

I'm beginning to think this isn't a realistic show

death wish 3 RUINED

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lmao i forgot how goofy this was doing a show and tell of the gun that you are going to use to eviscerate the youngins with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZiB1u4czFw

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

so did succession succ or not

It maaaaaybe has my fav series finale ever?

Ishamael posted:

Do you have a link to that?

This is a good version of it. Still like the original version better but it made me laugh

https://twitter.com/SP4CECOP/status/1663256983208591369/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1663256983208591369&currentTweetUser=SP4CECOP

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lifg posted:

I’ve been wracking my brain on this one. It’s not Pieta, but it feels familiar.

Looks a bit like this

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DaveKap posted:

That's completely unrelated to death beach in my mind.

"Barry and Fuches both made a face at each other in this scene, therefore blatant and brilliant parallel"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rewatched the finale, and on reflection I think the time skip was a good idea... Or at least the passage of time was. Especially with Hank's attempt to bury what he did to Cristobal, that's something where I think the passage of time really lets those feelings fester. We need to feel like Hank has spent years trying to block out what he did and reaping the rewards for it, and I don't think it would have felt as effective if he had just killed him like yesterday.

I think the mistake was honestly not doing another full season, and having the time skip happen between S4 and S5. Doing it mid-season in a show as short as this meant everything felt super rushed and haphazard.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 31, 2023

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018

Holy gently caress

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure Barry only killed one person this season. The assassasin in the ceiling during the prison break.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I feel like the ending should've had a Rorschach's Journal in the Watchmen type of twist hidden up its sleeve. I could enjoy Barry's hero ending more if there was a powder keg somewhere that threatened it.

Gene deserved better. Sally's ending felt too Barry-defined.

I feel like Mr. Moss was underutilized. After Barry's prison break, he had a reaction shot of seeing Sally rushing into her apartment. It felt like he'd have more to do. Since his introduction, he felt a real world character that stepped up and put his two hands around the throat of the zany Barry universe and threatened it into make some sense. Even his leaving Barry alone because of a money rumor felt uncharacteristic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ProperCoochie posted:

Gene deserved better.

Gene is the sad clown. He always deserves better but is doomed to lose it all to his own buffoonery.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Gene brought it on himself. All he had to do was stay away, but he just couldnt leave it alone. I'm sure preserving Janice's memory was the lie he told himself, but it was always about his ego. He absolutely needed to be apart of a movie about Barry. I'm sure he thought he could get hired on as an advisor and needle his way into getting some kind of part, possibly as a real life cameo and it would help his career. I imagine he doesnt mind being in prison much. Probably running some acting class inside.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 31, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s believed to be a cop killer and a manipulator of a martyred war hero, he is not teaching acting classes in prison.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Some more thoughts, reflecting on my viewing: Hank got a fittingly poignant ending, and I loved how it was far more ceremonial in its feel than Barry's. Also, maybe I said this already, but despite them bastardizing the story to the point of it being a lie, I feel like Mask Collector was maybe the best version for John to see. Like, the version the movie told seems less likely to scar John. I do hope he somehow hears the truth once he's a grown person, provided he continues to maintain what seems to me like some stability and all. Deserves to know once he can really handle it I think.

ruddiger posted:

He’s believed to be a cop killer and a manipulator of a martyred war hero, he is not teaching acting classes in prison.

I get exactly where you're coming from, but given the rules of the universe it's set in, it seems like a perfectly fine "what happened to..." speculation I think. But yeah, personally I suspect he probably he protests his innocence and appeals every chance he gets but winds up dying in prison, possibly in solitary. :shrug:

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 31, 2023

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

Gene brought it on himself. All he had to do was stay away, but he just couldnt leave it alone. I'm sure preserving Janice's memory was the lie he told himself, but it was always about his ego. He absolutely needed to be apart of a movie about Barry. I'm sure he thought he could get hired on as an advisor and needle his way into getting some kind of part, possibly as a real life cameo and it would help his career. I imagine he doesnt mind being in prison much. Probably running some acting class inside.

Yea. Gene has spent his entire life self-sabotaging. He's teaching acting classes because he destroyed his career by being a petty and horrible person. He ruined that dinner party woman's life by going Harvey Weinstein on her. When he's up at the cabin and he's incapable of preparing any food, he asks his estranged son to get him salad (not even like, canned food to survive). Then he shoots his son and runs away. He clearly never went back to check if his son was okay. Everything is in service of his ego. He probably didn't even come back to stop the movie, but get a gig on it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Some more thoughts, reflecting on my viewing: Hank got a fittingly poignant ending, and I loved how it was far more ceremonial in its feel than Barry's. Also, maybe I said this already, but despite them bastardizing the story to the point of it being a lie, I feel like Mask Collector was maybe the best version for John to see. Like, the version the movie told seems less likely to scar John. I do hope he somehow hears the truth once he's a grown person, provided he continues to maintain what seems to me like some stability and all. Deserves to know once he can really handle it I think.

Yeah the Mask Collector was meant to be a fake out at first, with John giving the impression he's sneaking off to see a movie without his mom knowing and his friends telling him he doesn't need to watch it. You're meant to expect a movie that shows the true Barry, but instead we get the hero story and John seeing his dad in an idolized light

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't like the finale at all. I feel like first episodes -> time skip -> last episode -> fake movie were each a step down in terms of how they worked.

All the conclusion was basically squeezed into less than 15 minutes, without any of it being particularly satisfying. Ok, probably it was intentional to not give bad people any cred? :shrug:.

Then Gene shoots Barry, thereby loving himself over and redeeming Barry in the public's eye. Pretty good tragic conclusion at least, right? Then the last half of the episode is the fake movie to really make sure you got it. The movie itself is fun but imo seriously detracts from the episode itself.

Oh well, it's not like it ruins the whole show, it's still one of my favorites.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Still feels like a big stretch having everything being pinned on Gene and the martyred version of barry holding any water among the public. Wouldnt Albert have something to say about this?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Albert had Barry at gunpoint and chose to walk away. He still credits him for "saving" him. Likely he's content enough to let his "savior" be remembered as a hero/martyr.

His complete absence from S4 is a little weird but ultimately he didn't have much of an arc and just drove the plot forward.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for me, this video is the actual Barry series finale

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I loved how the finale gave all these actors a chance to stare at the camera and just act in uncut scenes. One of my favorite scenes from the whole show is Sally’s monologue in 2x7, which just her working through a tumble of confusing emotions. In the finale Noho Hank gets his tumble of emotions, and Fuches gets an intense bout of unexpected honesty, and Gene gets to stare at us and tell us it’s finally over without ever saying a word. I love all that.

I didn’t like the made for TV movie because it felt a bit soft and a bit too easy for a show that tried to kill cliches left and right, but watching future Oscar winner Jaeden Martel watch the movie made it worth it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't like the final season much at all. I think it was always a stronger comedy than a drama, but the two working in unison was a great formula, and they went so far in the drama direction for the final season that a lot of the comedy just ended up feeling out of place. Joyless and bleak in a way that no longer makes the show seem very unique and closer to every other prestige drama in feel - I would've been fine with it ending after season 3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Falukorv posted:

Still feels like a big stretch having everything being pinned on Gene and the martyred version of barry holding any water among the public. Wouldnt Albert have something to say about this?

With the narrative Moss cooked up, maybe not. Look back at what happened with Albert and Barry. Albert gets hit and Barry goes nuts trying to protect Albert. Then look at what Fuches told Albert. Fuches took what happened to Barry and harnessed it to turn him into a hitman. Then we have Moss' narrative that Gene did what Fuches did to Barry and got him to kill Janice.

Albert sees the good in Barry and sees that Barry is easily manipulated, or he has been lead to believe that at least. With Barry dead, killed by the guy who supposedly controlled him, Albert is free to believe that Barry was the good guy he wanted him to be. Barry can't hurt anyone else, so there's no need to muddy up the narrative that Barry was a hero.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
For the first three seasons, it felt like Hader knew where he was going and wanted to go. Season four was an aimless mess that changed the whole tone of the show and made me retroactively regret recommending it. Thank goodness the Succession finale softened the blow.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

With the narrative Moss cooked up, maybe not. Look back at what happened with Albert and Barry. Albert gets hit and Barry goes nuts trying to protect Albert. Then look at what Fuches told Albert. Fuches took what happened to Barry and harnessed it to turn him into a hitman. Then we have Moss' narrative that Gene did what Fuches did to Barry and got him to kill Janice.

Albert sees the good in Barry and sees that Barry is easily manipulated, or he has been lead to believe that at least. With Barry dead, killed by the guy who supposedly controlled him, Albert is free to believe that Barry was the good guy he wanted him to be. Barry can't hurt anyone else, so there's no need to muddy up the narrative that Barry was a hero.

Barry still shot his marine buddy and then jogged in the fundraiser runs his widow put on for him. And Albert knows that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Just wanted to pop in in case Bill Hader reads TV IV and say great poo poo dude. Awesome show and you nailed the ending. Sorry some of these other guys aren't feeling it. Wlel seeya

Thanks bro, it means a lot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Robobot posted:

Barry still shot his marine buddy and then jogged in the fundraiser runs his widow put on for him. And Albert knows that.

And maybe he can think that Fuches made him do that. There are all kinds of ways for Albert to write off what Barry did if he really wants to.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Falukorv posted:

A good majority of the public believes guys like Chris Kyle did nothing wrong, and our last president literally pardoned war criminal Eddie Gallagher under the same assumption.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

escape artist posted:

For the first three seasons, it felt like Hader knew where he was going and wanted to go. Season four was an aimless mess that changed the whole tone of the show and made me retroactively regret recommending it. Thank goodness the Succession finale softened the blow.

I think he knew very clearly and definitely where he wanted to go in s4, he just didn't want to take longer than 8 episodes to get there

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Robobot posted:

People can do weird poo poo in the name of grieving. We don't even need to get into potentials/hypotheticals with that one, Hank at the literal same time had a statue built honoring the love of his life he had killed, to get around having to deal with the fact he had him killed. Albert can totally believe Barry was doing his own weird poo poo coping with the loss he was responsible for

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

I think he knew very clearly and definitely where he wanted to go in s4, he just didn't want to take longer than 8 episodes to get there

Season 3/4 were more or less written together during covid. I believe in some recent interview that 3/4 should really be seen as one long season.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

Season 3/4 were more or less written together during covid. I believe in some recent interview that 3/4 should really be seen as one long season.

Maybe that's why I'm a lot fonder of season 4 than a lot of people seem to be. We put off watching season 3 for a long time while we caught up on other stuff, and only finished 3 a few weeks before 4 started

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the one season four episode that i thought was really operating at the high level that season three was for its entirety was episode 3, which has both really good moments of drama (Barry's phone call to Hank from prison, Sally trying to be an acting teacher and just mimicking Gene's abuse) and great moments of comedy (the attempted prison hit is one of the funniest moments in the show ever, plus the Del Toro cameo, Tom crashing the car, Gene and Tom ransacking Lon's apartment)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The answer is 100% absolutely yes. Wow.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

AlternateAccount posted:

The answer is 100% absolutely yes. Wow.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I liked the ending. Did they offer any explanation as to why sally wouldn’t have told police the truth about gene? Seems kinda hosed to just leave em in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm not sure what she knows for sure or how she could prove it