Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's one thing to express these things semi-privately as a "civilian" on a forum like this. It's not too smart to be a official in the opposition party saying them. It just strengthens the 'Scalise is a martyr and we're perscuted' angle.

I have no love or sympathy for Scalise at all, but Dem officials need to play better politics than this (and this is not an invitation for another pages-long derail about how much the Democrats suck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

drat dude, you're not supposed to say it.

Seems to be working for the right...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

enraged_camel posted:

If that was a GOP politician saying that about a Democrat, he would be praised and perhaps even promoted.

Well we had a guy joking about people killing a president canidate and now he is president.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Last time I checked the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, so it would be a pretty big clusterfuck to get that.

Huh? I've got two citizenships including US. Why does it matter whether the USA recognises it or not?

As for Italian guy,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Italy

Wikipedia says that it's legal in Italy to change the gender on your birth certificate.

But getting a citizenship only helps if you plan to live there. Countries with socialized medicine take a very dim view of people jetting in with cancer and immediately wanting treatment.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

skeleton warrior posted:

Could you claim to be transgender? You might be able to claim asylum as well for that reason.

Besides, they're Italians. Just sneer and flip your hair as they sexually harass you and they'll wave you through.

::rides by in a Vespa:: Ciaaaaooooo!

Basically yeah, it's just that I don't want them to go by my birth certificate instead of literally everything else. I'd have to fight a bit.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Huh? I've got two citizenships including US. Why does it matter whether the USA recognises it or not?

As for Italian guy,

Wikipedia says that it's legal in Italy to change the gender on your birth certificate.

But getting a citizenship only helps if you plan to live there. Countries with socialized medicine take a very dim view of people jetting in with cancer and immediately wanting treatment.

Yeah, it's kind of an idle thought at this point. I don't know any Italian. My idea would be to use it to get EU citizenship then go to Spain or Ireland or something.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

We've heard this a thousand times out of the mouths of Republican officials about Obama/Reid/Pelosi, wake me up when we even remotely approach that number.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

As for Italian guy,

Maybe it depends on the country. Anecdotally I know of immigrants who had to surrender their citizenship because they couldn't be dual, but maybe Italy is different.

The issue is if you would have to surrender your US citizenship to get an Italian one.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, it's kind of an idle thought at this point. I don't know any Italian. My idea would be to use it to get EU citizenship then go to Spain or Ireland or something.

You'd probably have to live there for a bit. Might be an adventure if you are young, employable, and without any commitments back home.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

No Butt Stuff posted:

"oh no, a guy who was on the technology committee in bumfuck nowhere said what a bunch of us were thinking!"

Meanwhile a guy who said Hillary should be shot was at the bill signing today.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Last time I checked the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, so it would be a pretty big clusterfuck to get that.

The US does not formally recognize dual citizenship, BUT it also has not taken any stance against it, either locally or politically. So you're fine.

Dual citizenship can make certain things more complicated however. Income taxation for expats is an example.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm already living abroad, just not any place where I have a legal right to be. I wanted to return to the US before Trump came on board but now I don't know what to do. Ireland or Spain sound great (My Spanish is poo poo but it's there a little bit) except Spain has like 15% unemployment.

I really just wish Clinton had won so I could come home.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

enraged_camel posted:

If that was a GOP politician saying that about a Democrat, he would be praised and perhaps even promoted.

Al Baldasaro, who said that Clinton "should be put in the firing line and shot for treason" was at Trump's bill signing today.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

Dual citizenship can make certain things more complicated however. Income taxation for expats is an example.

Yep. You are taxed in the USA as well as the country you are living in. (Above a certain limit)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Maybe it depends on the country. Anecdotally I know of immigrants who had to surrender their citizenship because they couldn't be dual, but maybe Italy is different.

The issue is if you would have to surrender your US citizenship to get an Italian one.

I think it goes the other way around, that if you're already and American you can become a citizen of another country that allows dual citizenship but in order to become an American citizen you have to give up any other citizenship statuses. Source: I had a friend in high school who had dual Italian/American citizenship.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

Al Baldasaro, who said that Clinton "should be put in the firing line and shot for treason" was at Trump's bill signing today.

Oh yeah? Trump, a man who said the second amendment people can take care of Clinton, was also at the bill signing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/878262080201031680

Heller switching parties would be a massive development. Doubt it'll happen, though.

OTOH it would be cool to have another Mormon Democrat here. Maybe 2 is enough to start a trend!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

There is a serious problem. Raising minimum wage will push large corporations to embrace automation faster than before.
It works - and it's going to create a massive unemployment problem within the next 10 years. I would not surprised if within the next 20 years 50% or more of the entire population is left unemployed at this rate.

If it's 50%, at least something would be done about it. The worst case would be closer to 20%, where it might persist for decades.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What was peak unemployment during the Great Depression?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can't automate "Patreon for making videos about Nintendo games" checkmate.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

business hammocks posted:

I think it goes the other way around, that if you're already and American you can become a citizen of another country that allows dual citizenship but in order to become an American citizen you have to give up any other citizenship statuses. Source: I had a friend in high school who had dual Italian/American citizenship.

Nope. I became a US citizen recently and was not asked to give up my original citizenship. I think your information is seriously out of date.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PerniciousKnid posted:

If it's 50%, at least something would be done about it. The worst case would be closer to 20%, where it might persist for decades.

Nah, machine learning will bring it to 50% if not more.

The future is heavily fortified megacities for the rich with gulfs of badland between.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was peak unemployment during the Great Depression?

Literally pasted your post into google and it says 25%

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Literally pasted your post into google and it says 25%

Oh yeah? Well I literally pasted YOUR post into Google and it said "Google couldn't verify this account belongs to you. HELP! - Google ..."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Trey Gowdy is officially not even going to pretend to do his job.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/878301301079134209
If you were to travel back fifty years in the past and tell someone like Dr. King that the FBI might be the last chance at redeeming the American promise.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

If you were to travel back fifty years in the past and tell someone like Dr. King that the FBI might be the last chance at redeeming the American promise.

The FBI and the CIA!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is nice

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/877972190213292032

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

business hammocks posted:

This is not true, people can request that the part in the citizenship oath where they officially renounce foreign ties be omitted. Also Canada amended their nationality laws in 2009 so a bunch of people retroactively became Canadian, for example, Dwayne Johnson.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 23, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sometimes Wittes tick tick ticks have been for relatively minor things, I'd say about 50/50 we're major bombshells though which is a good hit rate

He seemed to be indicating that this was a big one, also.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

He seemed to be indicating that this was a big one, also.

Yeah, here's hoping that this is at least as good as the initial story about the Comey memos

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

I have to say I really admire the restraint of people like this who actually do get a chance to confront their elected officials. I wouldn't even be close to that calm and collected if I were in her shoes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DaveWoo posted:

Heller switching parties would be a massive development. Doubt it'll happen, though.

Not really. He's a dead man walking in 2018, and one extra Senate vote doesn't do poo poo between now and then. It'd be somewhat of a moral victory but change nothing and put Democrats in an odd situation with that seat in 2018. Any other Senator (besides Flake) switches though, that's seismic because it puts the Senate in play in 2018.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Looking forward to the future when you need a four year degree in Memorabilia Unboxing

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

jesus christ

it is so loving inconceivable to me that all of you americans are actually having to fight for something that i take utterly for granted. this is so goddamn sad.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dual citizenship depends on the laws of both countries. Almost all countries allow dual citizenship if you are born with both or entitled to both at birth. Most countries also allow dual citizenship if you obtain your citizenship through marriage or another close familial relation. There are situations where you have to give up one citizenship to obtain another, or where one country may consider you to have given up their citizenship if you go after getting another one. That was the first thing I asked at the German embassy when I was researching this. They would allow me German citizenship without forcing me to give up US citizenship. The US makes you give up your citizenship if you "appear to have abandoned" it but just getting another citizenship doesn't do that. Generally if you have inheritable citizenship in the US and a Euro country, you'll likely be able to keep both (but check the individual factors in your case!).

As for the taxes thing, I am a CPA. I don't do it anymore but I used to work specifically in expat taxation, so I'm pretty good at knowing how to do that. It's not thaaat hard unless you get caught up in investing in certain vehicles overseas. That can quickly get very byzantine.

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Without the individual mandate I think Republicans have successfully created a bill that will destroy the healthcare industry. It also eliminates the employer mandate. So uh, this bill is totally hosed

if republicans pass this bill. the insurance industry will collapse. people will die. but....

they will have set the table for the govt to step in and rescue republicans and democrats with single payer. this potentially linked with massive wave where dems take control of the govt.

like the forest fire that burns the forest but allows for new growth. i would prefer a more peaceful transition to single payer but republicans have made that impossible. and theyre determined to drive the bus off the cliff no matter how much we try to save them

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

This bill is an accelerationist's wet dream, basically.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Capito is a potential No vote right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Capito is a potential No vote right?

Yes, since West Virginia is an expansion state and heavily hit by the opioid crisis (cutting medicaid would devastate treatment programs).

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Sorry to drum up this tweet posted 15 pages ago. I was hoping this may have been the first thing others thought of when they read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This bill is an accelerationist's wet dream, basically.

I despise the idea of accelerationism as a deliberate strategy. However, if the bad guys are winning no matter what I do, I might as well try to comfort myself with the idea the end result might work out.

• Locked thread