Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Moving up one point on the 538 aggregate is hardly skyrocketing. And I'd say it owes more to Trump just being out of the spotlight for the last couple week.

Yeah, Trump has an ongoing regression to the mean factor where his polls always go up slightly whenever he manages to not poo poo the bed for a couple days in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Hellblazer187 posted:

I know we get a lot of international folks in here, so maybe one of y'all know enough about this.

So, I think I might qualify for German citizenship under the restoration laws. The long and short of it is that if you used to be German, and then it was the Nazis who made it so you weren't anymore, you get to be German again any time you want it. And, this also applies to descendants. My grandfather was a holocaust survivor born in Germany, and based on the documents I've seen so far it looks like I qualify, although I haven't got everything yet.

So, assuming I do qualify, is there any way to buy into the German healthcare system while living abroad? It'd be nice to have an emergency thing just in case of like, cancer or something insanely serious. For routine care I guess I'll be on my own but I'm basically healthy right now.

Welp, I just started off a conversation with 'Hey ma, we got nazis in the family right??' so thank you for that, at least

We don't, our ancestors apparently left before the Holocaust. What a tough break :sigh:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Trump has an ongoing regression to the mean factor where his polls always go up slightly whenever he manages to not poo poo the bed for a couple days in a row.

That baseball shooting also helped drown out some of the Russian talk for a bit.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hellblazer187 posted:

I know we get a lot of international folks in here, so maybe one of y'all know enough about this.

So, I think I might qualify for German citizenship under the restoration laws. The long and short of it is that if you used to be German, and then it was the Nazis who made it so you weren't anymore, you get to be German again any time you want it. And, this also applies to descendants. My grandfather was a holocaust survivor born in Germany, and based on the documents I've seen so far it looks like I qualify, although I haven't got everything yet.

So, assuming I do qualify, is there any way to buy into the German healthcare system while living abroad? It'd be nice to have an emergency thing just in case of like, cancer or something insanely serious. For routine care I guess I'll be on my own but I'm basically healthy right now.

Get your citizenship first and then hash out the details of statutory health insurance later. Generally Germany uses an employer based system of universal coverage where everyone pays into various sickness funds, with separate programs for the poor and unemployed/elderly.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

please god let whatever this is be in the next two hours, I'm out of weed and I need to feel good

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/878262080201031680

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Now we know what will happen. Heller switches parties, Left Democrats attempt to primary him, are unsuccessful due to the Democratic party backing Heller as reward for him switching, he loses to the Republican.

Heller switching parties would be a massive development. Doubt it'll happen, though.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

It's like he's unlocked some kind of cheat code that makes health continually go up, but is still playing badly enough to be losing anyway.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Which doesn't happen very often.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Heller switching parties might literally kill McMagic.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

Welp, I just started off a conversation with 'Hey ma, we got nazis in the family right??' so thank you for that, at least

We don't, our ancestors apparently left before the Holocaust. What a tough break :sigh:

Might still qualify, actually. The big law that got this going was the Nazi "11th Decree" in 1941 which said any German Jew living outside of Germany lost their citizenship. This included any who had left, and also those they sent off to camps in Poland. Then after the war they passed the law that said you could get it back if that's why you lost it. There's more to it than that, and for some reason it's easier if it comes from your dad's side than your moms. I'm still working on it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Now we know what will happen. Heller switches parties, Left Democrats attempt to primary him, are unsuccessful due to the Democratic party backing Heller as reward for him switching, he loses to the Republican.

He'd have to bring Sandoval with since they're attached,, hand to colon.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hope is a lie :(

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Senators_who_switched_parties

Quite the list.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Speaking of which,

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/878319585648230400

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/878320964815147013

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mulva posted:

We already pick up poo poo up there that is just over the counter and cheaper. Like people on the border go up for insulin and testing strips evidently because it's cheaper than the poo poo they can get here.

So what stops this from becoming a black market where individuals buy stuff and resell it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I could technically get Italian citizenship (and therefore EU citizenship) through my dad, but I'd have to present my birth certificate for that, and it's got the wrong gender marker on it and Wisconsin doesn't seem to change gender markers on birth certificates :shepicide:

I mean I could try anyway and explain it to the people working there, but I doubt it'd work out very well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Up for grabs"? What is this, an auction?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obviously I'm not serious, just referencing Arlen Specter/Sestak Toomey.

Though I misremembered, I thought Specter beat Sestak.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

twice burned ice posted:

I would guess it's an expression of frustration about stagnant wage growth. Productivity is up, the economy is producing well, but workers aren't feeling that in their wallets. (Wage growth numbers have been unimpressive for the past several BLS reports, despite unemployment continuing to trend downward.

Since 2007, the vast majority of pay gains have not gone to the working class; conservatives and democrats alike are feeling that, but conservative media redirects that ire towards 'job-killing regulations' (aka the thing preventing corporations from raking in even more profits that they won't share with their workers).

Also, this was too good )read: frustrating) to pass up. A comment from the video linked above:

"Whether this guy makes 15 bucks an hour or not, nobody working a fry machine is worth 15 bucks an hour. If there was gonna ever be a fast food employee that was worth 15 bucks an hour though it would be Chick-fil-A as they have NEVER screwed up my order ever, and they are polite to boot. I think McDonalds employees should be paid less then minimum wage until they can fill an order correctly. For those that are screaming livable wage.....fast food isn't meant to be a career unless you are going into management! Nobody retires from the fry machine after 40 years! Can American get real please? I'm sick and tired of this mammy pammby generation that thinks everything should come fast and or easy. You know why your parents have it better then you kids? Because they spent their whole lives working for it! You are meant to be poor to start life! If you are 45 and running the fry machine....well looks like you got started later in life probably because of poor choices earlier....no shortcuts."

There is a serious problem. Raising minimum wage will push large corporations to embrace automation faster than before.
It works - and it's going to create a massive unemployment problem within the next 10 years. I would not surprised if within the next 20 years 50% or more of the entire population is left unemployed at this rate.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pollyanna posted:

I could technically get Italian citizenship (and therefore EU citizenship) through my dad, but I'd have to present my birth certificate for that, and it's got the wrong gender marker on it and Wisconsin doesn't seem to change gender markers on birth certificates :shepicide:

I mean I could try anyway and explain it to the people working there, but I doubt it'd work out very well.

Last time I checked the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, so it would be a pretty big clusterfuck to get that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

So what stops this from becoming a black market where individuals buy stuff and resell it?

customs and the fact that most people that could fund that sort of venture are probably rich enough to be a Martin Shkreli and just do the reverse to an existing company.

If you could get around the fact that this scheme would be shut down in shipping you probably could make a killing with what would be a genuinely Disruptive Innovation (the kind that isn't just a way for rich people to say "we're using phones to avoid regulation")

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

code:
Senator		State		Date			Congress	Old party	New party
Strom Thurmond	South Carolina	September 16, 1964	88th		Democratic	Republican
Let me guess when the Southern Strategy started.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, the EU thing is why I'm pretty interested in German citizenship. My wife is German also, so I could get citizenship if we lived there for 3 years, but I don't want to do that. And I could get a spousal visa for any EU country, but it's a big hassle. I'd rather just be like "see this REISPASS? Let me hang out as long as I want, Ireland!"

Is the gender marker wrong because you transitioned or because they just made a big dumb clerical error? Obviously that's personal so feel free to just not answer if that's too person to ask online.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 23, 2017

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lmfao so this Senate bill is as good as dead then.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Javes posted:

Why not just turn the cameras on? Whats the worst they can do? The WH has already essentially blacklisted CNN anyway.

What's the point? They obviously stopped the cameras so they can just claim anything was said and they can't be contradicted but, in the first place, they were already doing that WITH video so, honestly, what the point?
"The Whitehouse said this"
"No we didn't"
*releases video of the Whitehouse saying this*
"No we didn't"
Trump supporter/FOX News: "Fake News lying again."

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Confounding Factor posted:

Nah. Press sec is a clueless waste of space

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Reminder that Wittes is a friend of Comey's and did his "tick tick tick" thing when the last few bombshells dropped, so he's not full of poo poo.

My guess would be more details from WaPo about the CIA intercept of Putin personally ordering his goons to help defeat Clinton and get Trump as POTUS.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Last time I checked the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, so it would be a pretty big clusterfuck to get that.

Yeah, I used to have Guatemalan citizenship as a kid, but it runs out after like 14 or 15 or so.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Making a bomb with a randomized fuse seems like a terrible idea.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
The WH acting like they can get Manchin's vote reads to me like McConnell doesn't have the votes right now. Or Spicer could just be talking out of his rear end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sometimes Wittes tick tick ticks have been for relatively minor things, I'd say about 50/50 we're major bombshells though which is a good hit rate

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Haha, what was up with this guy:

edit: :lol:

quote:

In January 1999, at Kingswood Regional High School in Wolfeboro, Smith announced that he was a candidate for the Republican nomination for President of the United States (at the time the front-runner was Texas Governor George W. Bush). In July, after failing to gain any ground in the presidential race and before any primaries or caucuses had taken place, Smith announced he was leaving the Republican Party and would seek the nomination of the Taxpayers' Party. One month later, Smith left the Taxpayers Party after claiming that ideologues within the party resisted his candidacy due to his Roman Catholicism and announced as an Independent. He withdrew completely from the race in October and endorsed Bush.

In the meantime, Republican Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island had died and thus the chairmanship of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works had re-opened. Smith recanted his repudiation of the Republican party, claiming it had been "a mistake" and claiming that since he had never officially changed his voting registration that he had never left the party. Smith was then elected as Chafee's successor to the chairmanship.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 23, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Confounding Factor posted:

No, unfortunately.

They can still buy off enough people, but there could be much lengthier behind the scenes negotiations than McConnell was hoping for.

Current received wisdom is it will take at least 8 'nos' o none of the defectors feel too much pressure.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Could you claim to be transgender? You might be able to claim asylum as well for that reason.

Besides, they're Italians. Just sneer and flip your hair as they sexually harass you and they'll wave you through.

::rides by in a Vespa:: Ciaaaaooooo!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the right loves free ammunition

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/caught-on-tape-dem-official-says-hes-glad-scalise-got-shot.html

quote:

A Nebraska Democratic Party official was removed from his post on Thursday after an audio recording surfaced of him saying he's “glad” House Majority Whip Steve Scalise got shot last week.

Phil Montag, now-former co-chair of the state party’s technology committee, was recorded saying he wishes Scalise, R-La., were “dead.”

“His whole job is to get people, convince Republicans to [expletive] kick people off [expletive] health care. I’m glad he got shot,” Montag said in the audio recording. “I wish he was [expletive] dead.”

The audio was posted on YouTube. Nebraska Democratic Chairwoman Jane Kleeb confirmed to FOX 42 that the voice on the audio recording was, in fact, Montag’s.

“We obviously condemn any kind of violence whether it’s comments on Facebook or comments in a meeting,” Kleeb said. “Our country is better than the political rhetoric that is out there from both the far right and the far left.”

Montag, in an interview with the Omaha World-Herald, said his words were taken out of context and he was "horrified" by the shooting.

“I did not call for the congressman’s death,” Montag reportedly said.

Kleeb removed Montag from his post just one week after Nebraska Democratic Black Caucus Chairwoman Chelsey Gentry-Tipton was asked to resign over a Facebook post about Scalise and the attack on Republicans. She did not.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Up for grabs"? What is this, an auction?

Yep, and the current government is willing to sell your life.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

"oh no, a guy who was on the technology committee in bumfuck nowhere said what a bunch of us were thinking!"

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

drat dude, you're not supposed to say it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

drat, I guess he shouldn't have been posting so much in this thread.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I hope more people get shot over healthcare but it's with vaccines and medicine because our health care is so good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If that was a GOP politician saying that about a Democrat, he would be praised and perhaps even promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PhazonLink posted:

Generally knowledge it exists. Like why the gently caress would someone think to look for a black market dealer of Canadian diabetes testing strips when they could just drive to Canada and buy a shitton of them? Like fun drugs, there are natural ways that stuff propagates at parties and clubs and whatnot. You see someone light up, you ask who their guy is. You aren't exactly going to see someone test at a nightclub and go "Man where you get them tight generic testing strips?". Nor is it the sort of thing that really has it's own subculture. Hard to make a cool t-shirt about how you want food and rent, and also to pay for the life giving medicine that keeps your 8 year old alive. Most you'll get is little support communities that might quietly tell each other how to save some money by crossing the border.

• Locked thread