Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiowaChief
Jul 12, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wasn't that outpost Archered from somewhere?

Yea, Matt Damooooooonnnnnn in "The Martian"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snazzy Frocks posted:

do the noodle machines that are so prominent in the game do anything?
They don't even exist on the server.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

They do not-syncronise their position between different players. Does that count?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Ghostlight posted:

They don't even exist on the server.

It was truly beyond pathetic when all those paid shill streamers were doing their minigame of moving the noodle machine because SC has no other gameplay, and then quickly realizing that the noodle machine is completely client side and other players can't see you do anything with it.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Snazzy Frocks posted:

sure they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpViaR_nVdo

*checks "ever expanding galaxy" and "discover ancient artifacts" goals off list*

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hav posted:

Development started Two Weeks ago;

I'm not super familiar with Gantt charts, but why aren't the rows labeled? "Item 2.0: Power Supply / Pipes" is on the same row as "Continuous Serialized Variables," does that mean that the same team is responsible for both tasks?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

I'm not super familiar with Gantt charts, but why aren't the rows labeled? "Item 2.0: Power Supply / Pipes" is on the same row as "Continuous Serialized Variables," does that mean that the same team is responsible for both tasks?

It means they shoved a bunch of tasks into boxes and then ran it all through one of the disk defragging programs Chris used when he was last in the gaming business.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

It's a graphic that they advertised and then worked late one evening to put together solely to show the backers to get more money. It's not indicative of real work.

...much like the ships they sell.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The more I look at the chart, the more :psyduck: it gets. They have systems that affect each other in a huge way - even if they had a magical ability to deliver on each task with no delays, there's no room to iterate. I can't believe anybody is convinced that this is a real schedule.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Meridian posted:

I think we got a bingo on this page alone.

ben fat

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Mirificus IRL, don't ask how I got this pic

MODS????

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

all teams reflect the will of Chris, and Chris is responsible for all task Approval and De-approval. the ever-refactoring Schedule is the living word of Chris

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tippis posted:

It means they shoved a bunch of tasks into boxes and then ran it all through one of the disk defragging programs Chris used when he was last in the gaming business.

Star Citizen: 3.0 Production Schedule = tasks shoved into boxes then defragged

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/854101690974208001

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Forget that they've crammed more into a single patch than they've managed to produce in 4 or 5 or 6 years of development all told

All it takes is one blocker or a slowed pipeline and they won't be able to refactor the code to make it all work

.... crap I think I'm infected

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Propagandist posted:

It's a graphic that they advertised and then worked late one evening to put together solely to show the backers to get more money. It's not indicative of real work.

...much like the ships they sell.

It's pretty obvious that any patch named 3.0 will come with rampant uproarious applause from backers that will somehow prove us wrong, so it's really all good from CIGs perspective.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

One of the tasks is "Jobification of Network Writes." When I do a google search of that phrase, the top result is a computer-generated Harry Potter fanfic.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

One of the tasks is "Jobification of Network Writes." When I do a google search of that phrase, the top result is a computer-generated Harry Potter fanfic.

Network writes is a job , so the task is to job...ify that task to someone

$20 Ben gets the job of writing the networks

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If I just search for "jobification," the top result is something on Urban Dictionary.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_(computing)

It sounds like they currently have a situation where network writes happen all willy-nilly whenever some arbitrary piece of code triggers it, and they want to change it so that those pieces of code instead create a “job” (that is, a semi-structured set of instructions, possibly adhering to some kind of schema or standard format) that can be handed off to a separate scheduler to be processed in a more sensible and controlled order.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 18, 2017

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Hav posted:

Development started Two Weeks ago;

I was actually looking at the mess this time and I noticed down near the bottom in the weapons area "SOTA Crossbow" planned at a little over three months. How could it possibly take that long? Especially when there are goals such as "Surface Outposts" that are only supposed to take two months? Heck "Breaching" is a month and a half. Even "Cargo 2.0" is supposed to take a little over two months.

I get that this is a giant mass of DREAMS and "placate the whales" stuck together with elementary school paste, but I can't see how could make sense even in dream land/CIG.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TrustmeImLegit posted:

The website says Answer the Call 2017.

Its pretty clear with that schedule that ain't happening either. But it won't be changed til next February.

You will be answering the call.* Stupid salty asshat goonie. That doesn't mean "playing the game." It's not an explicit promise of anything, plus it's incumbent on you to pick up the phone. StarPhones available in the Voyager Direct store, with plans starting at just $59.99 a month.

* "call" may refer to a message about further delays to the release of 1/8th (one-eighth) of the promised features of what was previously referred to as the 3.0 patch. Restrictions apply.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love that moma comes back all aggressive and salty after a schedule is put out. like this should be the chance to refute us once and for all. instead, it's another messy litany of catastrophes waiting to happen.

as usual, cig fucks over everybody that goes to bat for them, while convincing absolutely none of the detractors that things are going well. don't take out their betrayals on us, moma, just get a refund and join the dark side

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I haven't looked at the sub-hourly data but this looks like very natural transaction activity. Must be those payment processors at work. And no, the peak does not line up with normal peak funding hours.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
GeraltMasterWitcher

Witcher avatar

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like we got some hot action across all factions.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

One of the first things I gather from my limited experience in software development, especially for CIG's game, is that in Agile development, you design the UI first so that you know what to program for.

What in the actual gently caress. This may be the dumbest thing you've said in a hilariously long line of dumb things.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

'not everything is worth replying to, old man' He replies

Some people are here just to "own Derek" because when they win, Star Citizen is good.

You should have made a video while Derek was banned. Just imagine how awesome it was! They even did a whole schedule! It's practically released!!!

Now he's back, and Star Citizen isn't as good now. You missed the chance to play it in all its glory. :(

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

The Titanic posted:

Some people are here just to "own Derek" because when they win, Star Citizen is good.

You should have made a video while Derek was banned. Just imagine how awesome it was! They even did a whole schedule! It's practically released!!!

Now he's back, and Star Citizen isn't as good now. You missed the chance to play it in all its glory. :(

Ahh, but without Derek posting MoMA has no one he deems worthy of replying too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

kingcom posted:

What in the actual gently caress. This may be the dumbest thing you've said in a hilariously long line of dumb things.

He's an ardent SC backer and defender.
It is therefore imperative that he must have absolutely no insight into — and preferably a completely backwards idea of — and and all topics related to software development.

From this perspective, what he said makes all the sense in the world.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

Real Gantt charts don't look like this. It is hilarious that this is what they passed off as a 'real schedule' and then that people ate it up.

A game with the scope of Star Citizen would probably have hundreds and hundreds of features all given their own row, organized probably by team and then maybe by sub-team or individual depending on team size. Some studios give them cute names (CoreTech - Team Blue, etc). The entire thing looks literally unbelievably amatuer for a studio with a 9-figure budget.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 18, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Real Gantt charts don't look like this. It is hilarious that this is what they passed off as a 'real schedule' and then that people ate it up.

I mean, what is a schedule when you think about it.

A calendar is a type of schedule after all, so all those boxed-in dates must be a schedule of sorts, and they really boxed them in good, so therefore it must be a real schedule. Surely.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Exinos posted:

Sorry mods, but I gotta dox MOMA.

He's clearly Chris Roberts.

Proof:
Bad at estimating release dates.
Thinks UI is a priority at this point.
Talks about game, does not play it.
Obsessed with Derek Smart.
Does not understand game development.

Patently false because I'm not sure if I've ever seen MoMA write about how motion capture is going to save the game in every post.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

kingcom posted:

Well you see, that's what they do in Visual Basic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Well you see, that's what they do in Visual Basic.

Some truths have really stood the test of time, even in such an ever-changing field as computer languages:

Edsger W.Dijkstra posted:

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

How does it take one month create a standard drop-in UI element that changes a number in a file?
Alternatively, how does it take one month to make the game read a rendering setting that it should be reading automatically?
Alternatively alternatively, how does it take one month to make a game use a setting in its renderer that the renderer should already be using?

Even if they have to do all three, HOW THE gently caress DOES IT TAKE  O N E   M O N T H  to make a FoV slider in a Cryengine game?!

I'm all calm now.

First you need to draw the slider in a Photoshop.

Then you need an artist to make it in 3D for real. This is about a 2.5 week process.

Now there another 3 weeks added in because the artist will label it "Honesty" or something and nobody will remember it until people point it out on SA or Reddit.

Now we're behind schedule, and there's no slider, and now there's a pr disaster and CR is calling for heads.

The original artist isn't going to take credit. It just happened by witchery! Oh and uh, Derek Smart too!

Now we're looking at 5.5 weeks in, the artists aren't taking credit, the original coder is too scared to touch it now, the team lead is pissed because he had to go in and erase it and write in "Agis" and by now somebody pointed out that he misspelled it.

So now we're 7 weeks in, there's no slider, the wrong artist was fired, the programmer is now working on a Dune Sandworm, and the team lead is burning all history in their repo so it looks like he spelled it right months ago and the next guy edited it wrong.

And there you have it. CIG development and progress. Enjoy your fov slider you feature locust!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

One of the first things I gather from my limited experience in software development, especially for CIG's game, is that in Agile development, you design the UI first so that you know what to program for.

Tippis posted:

He's an ardent SC backer and defender.
It is therefore imperative that he must have absolutely no insight into — and preferably a completely backwards idea of — and and all topics related to software development.

From this perspective, what he said makes all the sense in the world.

No but loving real talk about what the hell goes into designing something. The newest expansion for EU IV came out, a confirmed Good Game. In it they introduce a new mechanic called the 'Age' System where if you're managing to achieve specific goals during a time period the 'Age' is set in then you get points towards some nice bonuses right. See below:

For this to work you obviously need some kind of UI interface in order to actually allow the user to interact with it obviously.

Based on what MOMA just loving said. The Paradox Dev schedule looked like this:

1. Design the loving window and text field with no loving idea whats supposed to go in there and why. Just loving throw poo poo on the screen who cares
2. Come up with a game mechanic that will go in that window and make use of the dumb circles that DDRJake (anything wrong is probably his fault idk) put up on the sides for some reason.
3. Plan how that system is something that can impact the player and how they can make use of it in an interesting and dynamic way given the likelyhood for repetition, and rapidly different circumstances to achive this goal
4. Implement mechanics.
5. Test redesign/repeat

What MOMA just loving said, was that the UI guy just loving throws some poo poo on the screen and the Game Designers need to guess and make best use out of the poo poo the UI person just stuck up there.

The game design meetings are just them pointing at a UI and going
'He put a bunch of squares there ? Why, what do they mean? Should we have something players click on there, like its a bunch of options?
Oh OH maybe its showing you what you're unlocking?
No DAMNIT, the Squares down the right of the page are the ones where it shows what you're unlocking!
No no listen, what if unlocking the things on the right gives you points to unlock the things on the top right? Its like a goal and if you finish the goal you pick which bonus you want.

Goddamnit this pisses me off. Game Design and Development is loving hard and for someone to just piss on all the work and effort real loving teams go through to develop a piece of software, let alone the nightmare of a project that is a video game is infuriating. gently caress you MOMA you loving ignorant hack, gently caress you for deeming all the work actual developers put into their projects. gently caress you for the teams who have to solve complex problems and real legitimate challenges but thanks to their good planning and design philosophy and most importantly their game bible and technical design documents (THEY MADE FIRST) they have a way to solve them.

God loving damnit are you so utterly ignorant of anything to do with software development.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Chart Citizen

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tippis posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_(computing)

It sounds like they currently have a situation where network writes happen all willy-nilly whenever some arbitrary piece of code triggers it, and they want to change it so that those pieces of code instead create a “job” (that is, a semi-structured set of instructions, possibly adhering to some kind of schema or standard format) that can be handed off to a separate scheduler to be processed in a more sensible and controlled order.

This is probably related to why the frames per second is dependent on the network. There's probably tons of network writes that use blocking calls. I bet they were just shoved in to random parts of code to make a thing work immediately, with no thought or planning.

The FOV slider is probably slated for over a month because they massacred the camera system, and Chris is demanding it do something everyone else would know is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Is it just me, or does anyone else think they did the ship design and then someone said "poo poo, we forgot to give it armaments" "Ah well, just tack a gun up here and the spergs will be happy".