Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Madcosby posted:

The completionist package purchases are 100% money launders. If i had to guess and guess right, my bet is ships sold on the grey market over dozens of accounts. Due to paypal and such it takes time to confirm the money as fully delivered, so whenever the grey market accounts accumulate 15000 in verifyable off transaction cash, they purchase a completionist package to move the money "legally" into their own accounts

This is highly illegal and hard to trace from the outside. Go anc record all paypal accounts selling ships and put the pieces together. Just bid, get a payal email and record where the money gets sent

Havent read the thread in many pagea, so no clue if yall already figured this all out

It seems like one large purchase of 15k would be more suspicious than multiple smaller transactions but would be easier and cheaper if you only had to maintain a few smurf accounts to buy up completionist packages to turn that dirty money in to pledge dollars. I could see it happening though. One main account buys up completionist packages at a discount, chops up the account into smaller bits and sells the ships at a loss (every ship is going for under market value because who wants to buy a ship that can't be refunded at full price?) to dirty accounts making small under the radar transactions. The main account scoops up dirty money with some plausible deniability, losing some cash in the process, and buys up a new completionist package when the account hits 15k in sales. Another 15k in the till for CIG.

This is theoretically possible but its seems like it's courting disaster if the SEC or FBI catch on. It doesn't seem worth it if you're only pulling in maybe an extra 100k per month. If this is happening, I doubt it's happening with the knowledge of upper level people.

A better guess would be CIG taking 15k out of the till and buying ship packages themselves and counting it as revenue by marking the newly purchased ships as inventory and property of CIG. At least this way they don't run afoul of any government agencies because they are under no obligation to disclose what they do with pledge money and if the pledge counter is legitimate. But then I would wonder why 15k completionist packages? It is suspicious enough that we caught on so why not smaller purchases throughout the day?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Saying publicly and to their backers' faces "we will definitely do this by x or within y" is not a promise, because there's no "we promise" anywhere in that sentence. This is important, and a fact. In my opinion.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

I swear, these guys.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The other option is that the fund tracker is total bullshit. If thats the case, the guiness people may also be interested in your crusade to protect whatever integrity they have (i havent cared about guiness records since age 6 but whatevs) if yall can force chris to admit the tracker is bogus, or prove theyre illegally moving money, you can do something worthwhile with your time rather than fight for things to hate on

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

This is a normal, standard business practice.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Star Citizen: Not technically a promise.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

D1E posted:

Well the whole "rolling layoffs" thing is something that would actually have public visibility, so either something is finally happening or Derek is just crying wolf again.

If we don't hear about rolling CIG layoffs in Two Weeks I think we all know what should happen.

I would totally accept a garbage bag full of backer funds to not update my linked in profile and not post about how I was unceremoniously let go. A few hundred k in hush money is a drop in the bucket compared to what would happen if backers caught a whiff of impending layoffs. That is the canary in the mine shaft that will signal the end of pledging and a bank run for refunds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

All of your faux concern for me is not endearing in the least. I don't need to frequent a gay comedy forum on my weekend off, especially one that is a holiday weekend.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Big difference between ignoring and doing work while casually observing.

edit: not everything is worth replying to, old man.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek:

Read this response. I've been playing along too much. If you can't understand that they're goading you and then making fun of you, then there is no hope.
Man, you got owned so hard you're already halfway through the five stages of grief.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

How the PU is currently being sold.

quote:

More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for unlimited gameplay.

STAR CITIZEN ACHIEVES AN UNPRECEDENTED LEVEL OF REALISM

In Star Citizen, you control your destiny as you inhabit a world more immersive than ever before.

Play the character you’ve always dreamed of being and build YOUR place in the galaxy.

A FULL-FEATURED PHYSICS SIMULATION MEANS THAT COMBAT CAN BE AS COMPLEX AS THE PILOT’S INVOLVED DESIRE.

Star Citizen features a fully realized death mechanic, giving exceptional weight to your choices.

WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU PLAY Our aim is to show you the game we’re building, not to stun you with pre-rendered cutscenes, you’re forgiven if the two seem like one and the same.

Real Physics - Star Citizen’s ships don’t just look good, they fly in accordance with a detailed Newtonian physics engine.

We’re giving players ownership of the Star Citizen world now so they’ll be invested in the game world when the persistent universe launches.

Star Citizen offers an ever-expanding galaxy that players will navigate and build.

A fully-featured FPS mode lets you disembark and take the fight to the enemy… or to explore distant worlds, or navigate city streets in search of the perfect upgrade

Star Citizen will launch with one hundred star systems, each with multiple landing points to explore.

Star Citizen features dynamic mission generation that will spawn naturally based on what is happening around you in the galaxy.

Star Citizen’s economy isn’t just buying and selling. It will react to everything from natural disasters to alien invasions, and in turn prompt the game to generate even more appropriate missions.

YOUR OPINION MATTERS

YOU CAN PLAY TODAY
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Madcosby posted:

The other option is that the fund tracker is total bullshit. If thats the case, the guiness people may also be interested in your crusade to protect whatever integrity they have (i havent cared about guiness records since age 6 but whatevs) if yall can force chris to admit the tracker is bogus, or prove theyre illegally moving money, you can do something worthwhile with your time rather than fight for things to hate on

I mostly like to laugh at idiots, I'll be sad when the journey's all over

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Here is the deal... In leu of a 401k or other benefits, employees become vested after 1 year and are entitled to a completionist package, which they are free to sell off piecemeal on the grey market. What you see in the funding tracker are employees cashing in their $15,000 gift certificates, followed by an uptick in activity on sc_trades

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 17, 2017

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

AbstractNapper posted:

Saying publicly and to their backers' faces "we will definitely do this by x or within y" is not a promise, because there's no "we promise" anywhere in that sentence. This is important, and a fact. In my opinion.

Ugh, don't. It's one of the more ridiculous bits of mental gymnastics the shitizens perform so as to not acknowledge that CIG has repeatedly treated them like poo poo.

Companies don't make promises because promises are emotional commitments not contractual commitments. Saying 'CIG did nothing wrong because they didn't promise anything' is the flip side of saying to your wife 'No, I didn't let you down because we didn't draw up a contract that I would do X'.

Everyone understands that in either scenario you said you were going to do something, you committed to that course of action and need a drat good excuse and explanation if you're later going to go back on what you said.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I think we got a bingo on this page alone.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AbstractNapper posted:

I told my mom I'd meet her for lunch. I don't show up. Well I didn't say I PROMISE did I? Checkmate, mom

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

I bet you care a lot more about Guinness records than you let on.

It's okay to feel.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I swear, these guys.

Technically it's not a promise in the pinkie-swear sense, but more the in sense of 'I'll call you'. Any terms and conditions you may have seen are merely your friend protecting themselves legally.

"Star Citizen features a fully realized death mechanic, giving exceptional weight to your choices."

How? loving how does it?

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 17, 2017

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Which milestones denote when it went from the "baby PU" to the "mini PU" and finally to just being the "PU"? It seems like a lot of progress has been made.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I haven't paid attention to this for a month or two, has anything funny or interesting happened recently?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

That just proves they're closer to a gold release than you thought. Checkmate goonLord.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

D1E posted:

Well the whole "rolling layoffs" thing is something that would actually have public visibility, so either something is finally happening or Derek is just crying wolf again.

If we don't hear about rolling CIG layoffs in Two Weeks I think we all know what should happen.

We should all continue laffing as CIG stumbles along?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/853942133685878785

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Glumslinger posted:

So I haven't paid attention to this for a month or two, has anything funny or interesting happened recently?

The game is playable as promised*

*. Nothing was ever really promised.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 17, 2017

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The Glumslinger posted:

They released a tentative schedule to plan out work for things that they hope to begin production on for a thing that was supposed to come out last December. The backers are ecstatic about it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Development started Two Weeks ago;

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Mirificus. Not that I'm telling you to stop, but just wanted to point out. In the last 100+ posts you've made in this thread, only one sentence is your own words.

I find this amusing, that's all.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

D1E posted:

The Great Derek Doxx Toxx of 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm trying to find one of those features that is actually in the game at the moment.

• The supposed realism isn't actually described, so it's impossible to say whether it's unprecedented or not, or even if it's there at all.
• There is no destiny to build since there's no actual storyline or progression or even any real persistence.
• There is no character building, much less any way to create a place in the galaxy.
• The physics-simulation doesn't seem to feature physics, and combat complexity is close to zero due to point-and-click mouse controls.
• it has no death mechanic beyond respawning; there is no weight to your deaths.
• It has plenty of pre-rendered cutscenes, none of which represent what you can actually play in the game. The difference between the two is significant.
• Its physics are broken, and definitely not Newtonian — Newtonian physics rely on stuff having mass and inertia, and the game doesn't really simulate those to any extent.
• There is noting in the SC world that players can take ownership of.
• The galaxy isn't a galaxy. It hasn't expanded beyond its few space stations in ages.
• The FPS mode doesn't let you take the fight anywhere — it's just a fixed arena with no purpose. There are no distant worlds, cities, or upgrades to find and/or explore.
• If it ever launches, 100 star systems with “multiple landing points” makes it not quite twice as large as Freelancer.
• There is no galaxy simulation or world dynamics, and no mission generation.
• The game has no economy.
• Your opinion only matters if it's in line with what CIG wants, otherwise it's deleted.
• If you play today, none of the points on that list is even remotely accurate.

I love lists.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Mirificus. Not that I'm telling you to stop, but just wanted to point out. In the last 100+ posts you've made in this thread, only one sentence is your own words.

Mirificus IRL, don't ask how I got this pic

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star Citizen: Loss of conceptual integrity

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

We must be informed every time one of 3 weirdos talks about Derek's family or genitals, otherwise...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Tippis posted:

I'm trying to find one of those features that is actually in the game at the moment.

• The supposed realism isn't actually described, so it's impossible to say whether it's unprecedented or not, or even if it's there at all.
• There is no destiny to build since there's no actual storyline or progression or even any real persistence.
• There is no character building, much less any way to create a place in the galaxy.
• The physics-simulation doesn't seem to feature physics, and combat complexity is close to zero due to point-and-click mouse controls.
• it has no death mechanic beyond respawning; there is no weight to your deaths.
• It has plenty of pre-rendered cutscenes, none of which represent what you can actually play in the game. The difference between the two is significant.
• Its physics are broken, and definitely not Newtonian — Newtonian physics rely on stuff having mass and inertia, and the game doesn't really simulate those to any extent.
• There is noting in the SC world that players can take ownership of.
• The galaxy isn't a galaxy. It hasn't expanded beyond its few space stations in ages.
• The FPS mode doesn't let you take the fight anywhere — it's just a fixed arena with no purpose. There are no distant worlds, cities, or upgrades to find and/or explore.
• If it ever launches, 100 star systems with “multiple landing points” makes it not quite twice as large as Freelancer.
• There is no galaxy simulation or world dynamics, and no mission generation.
• The game has no economy.
• Your opinion only matters if it's in line with what CIG wants, otherwise it's deleted.
• If you play today, none of the points on that list is even remotely accurate.

I love lists.

You can own t shirts. Therefore you are just spreading FUD and you whole list is invalid because of it.

Checkmate goonie.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hav posted:

Development started Two Weeks ago;

Holy poo poo the full diagram, I'd not seen it yet.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if they give monthly updates on their progress. I love watching coloured bars growing in size.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
do the noodle machines that are so prominent in the game do anything?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

what does your heart tell you

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Much like their namesake, they sit in big lump and do nothing but dispense noise.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/854086117448065024

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek:

Read this response. I've been playing along too much. If you can't understand that they're goading you and then making fun of you, then there is no hope.
No one likes a grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wasn't that outpost Archered from somewhere?