Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Kamille has to suck because he is constantly up against people who are even worse than he is, and if he was cool then you wouldn’t quite get just how badly Jerid sucks. Kamille also grows quite a bit just in time to get owned, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, even CCA Amuro, who's the most well adjusted version of him, would just go "Yeah, I don't dance. Ask Chan about it some time.", ending in Chan laughing like an idiot as she describes a really awkward date.

Thinking of other protagonists...

Kamille would just get into a fistfight
Judau would be enthusiastic, but terrible
Domon would obviously do great, once Rain managed to get him on the floor
Heero would be terrible, but incredibly confidant
Garrod would be even worse and even more confidant
Kira's perfect coordinator genes would let him be technically proficient, but there'd be no real soul.
Shin would start out well, but spiral
Setsuna wouldn't even know where to start
Flit would basically Amuro it
Asemu would be basically on the "I had to for class once, so I know what to do kinda" level
Kio would ruin everything
And Mikazuki would probably do better than expected if Atra asked him to, assuming he could still walk when this happened.

Mechanically perfect but soulless is probably an accurate description of Heero's dancing, not Kira's. He's a perfect athlete and acrobat who's not actually super invested in being that. Kira, meanwhile, would probably let his natural talents be sabotaged by his complete lack of self-confidence and eat dirt spectacularly.

Setsuna's from Not-Afghanistan, so there's actually a pretty good chance that his parents taught him how to dance before Stuff Happened. He might be up for teaching Marina's orphans if she asks nicely.

Reiji and Aila (and/or Ricardo and Mihoshi) would probably have people fleeing the dance floor for safety while Sei and China sit on the sidelines and make Gunpla on the buffet table.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Quatre would bring along the entire Maganac corps as his own personal dance troupe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, pretty much every Gundam Meister is likely to have their own reasons for being an excellent dancer, with the possible exception of Michael Trinity. Lyle would be proud that it's one of the few things he's definitely better than Neil at.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darth Walrus posted:

Reiji and Aila (and/or Ricardo and Mihoshi) would probably have people fleeing the dance floor for safety while Sei and China sit on the sidelines and make Gunpla on the buffet table.

Reiji and Aila would be very aggressively and competitively dancing at each other, which I would honestly love to see. And there's a nonzero chance that Reiji actually could dance if he wasn't in an aggressive dance-off given he is literally royalty. And I think Ricardo probably would dance well, it fits his sort of vibe. Mihoshi also probably has to know how to dance for her actual job. Nils probably can as well. As for what Sei is doing, that depends on whether Mao is also on hand because if he was around the two of them would be vociferously arguing which Gundam can dance the best and whether or not that one Evolve short with the God Gundam is Canon or not. And Meijin would show up and do some kind of folk dance to match the guitars in his theme and totally steal the show

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
drat i can’t believe it’s been 20 years since i bought those awful vcd fansubs of turn a on ebay

Darth Walrus posted:

Setsuna's from Not-Afghanistan, so there's actually a pretty good chance that his parents taught him how to dance before Stuff Happened. He might be up for teaching Marina's orphans if she asks nicely.
do not speak bacha nazi setsuna into existence

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 25, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'm very high and drunk. What am I looking at, here? IBO prequel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rZe7zXgeU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Promo for the mobile game

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It's like IBO...but whimsical.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Mobile Suit Gundam: Light-Hearted Orphans

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

jackhunter64 posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Light-Hearted Orphans

Iron Blooded Orphans 2: Light Hearted Orphans

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
:siren: Bosozoku MS gang :siren:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

It reminds me of how one of the smaller changes I really liked in the Origin was changing the final swordfight from a close match to Char kicking Amuro's rear end up and down the station.

Amuro's a shut in geek turned soldier. He's great as a pilot and mechanic, and he'd have some time at the range because he's been caught out of his Mobile Suit, but he'd have no reason to learn to fence. Him being bad at it makes sense.

Amuro defeating Char in a swordfight at the climax of the original show makes perfect sense in context because it's specifically presented as Char going "I'm betting that even a Newtype has to be trained in a skill like this to fight using swords" and then being wrong, because Amuro, as a Newtype, can read what Char is going to do and react in time to defeat him despite the fact he has no training as a fencer. Char underestimated and misunderstood Newtypes since they came up, as well as using Lalah for his own vengeance rather than to try and further society or anything, so him losing to a Newtype because he can't understand them despite being a Newtype himself is thematically appropriate. Not only that, but it also foreshadows Amuro a few minutes later not only reading what's happening, but actually showing some precognition so he can guide the crew of the White Base out of the exploding Axis to save their lives.

It's great as a climax to a stand alone show, or at least to a show where Amuro is only the protagonist the once; it's no longer really a good idea when he comes back into the narrative again a few years later in both Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack, where he has to be presented as having to struggle in various ways. So those things were basically forgotten; something he could only do the once when he was in a particularly zen mood as the climax of a desperate struggle when he felt more enlightened, more confident etc.

The Origin just throws it out altogether, even though it's not doing the follow up in Zeta and Char's Counterattack that requires it be ejected in the first place and while I've never read The Origin, I feel like, at least on paper, it seems like a worse idea because it undercuts Amuro's character arc. Then again, execution matters as much as concept, so maybe it's better in the actual work. I'll probably read it to find out at some point.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I hate that Greco is in this and not Zeta, kamille deserves commeoration more than Bellri

Kamille isn't in because Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam aired in 1985, so 2019 wasn't a significant anniversary for it the way it was for the original Mobile Suit Gundam (aired 1979; 40 year anniversary in 2019), Gundam: G no Reconguista (aired in 2014; 5 year anniversary in 2019) and Turn A Gundam (aired in 1999; 20th anniversary in 2019). It'd be the 34th anniversary of Zeta in 2019; which isn't a thing anyone cares about.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 25, 2022

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tsob posted:

Kamille isn't in because Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam aired in 1985, so 2019 wasn't a significant anniversary for it the way it was for the original Mobile Suit Gundam (aired 1979; 40 year anniversary in 2019), Gundam: G no Reconguista (aired in 2014; 5 year anniversary in 2019) and Turn A Gundam (aired in 1999; 20th anniversary in 2019). It'd be the 34th anniversary of Zeta in 2019; which isn't a thing anyone cares about.

:sigh: :rolleyes:

Come on man I'm not that dumb a poster, I get it, i just dont like Greco.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

:sigh: :rolleyes:

Come on man I'm not that dumb a poster, I get it, i just dont like Greco.

So you made a statement you knew was dumb just to have an excuse to complain about something you dislike being displayed in any fashion?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The G Reco films were actually kind of enjoyable and made me a lot less spiteful of the series. It's a decent middle of the pack show in movie form if they can keep it up with the last two.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

tsob posted:

Amuro defeating Char in a swordfight at the climax of the original show makes perfect sense in context because it's specifically presented as a metaphor for sex

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i appreciated tsob giving him the benefit of the doubt and providing a simple explanation

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I can't believe we forgot the important part of judging the dancing ability/willingness of 00 Gundam characters:

Saji is good at dancing, but by the time he finishes somehow he's been witness to an atrocity of war or human cruelty that scars him for life. Again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, Ali dances a brilliant number that somehow convinces the judges to take up arms and start hunting down the other contestants as he judges their kills.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Finished 0083 and what really stands out is how the last episode really ups the ante in baffling decisions. What really gets to me is how quickly they brush over kou's imprisonment. I don't even think they actually say what he was charged with? I know of course from this thread constantly relitigating it but my dad who was watching it with me was a little confused. Does the compilation film flesh this sequence out at all

Also monsha and Keith sort of just became background characters in the back half. I don't really like them but it feels strange.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
They said it was because he stole the Dendrobium and accomplished basically nothing while also severely damaging it. Realistically he was distracting Gato which means Gato wasn’t taking out even more feddies so I think Kou was reasonably effective, especially if you consider their respective skill level and experience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

They said it was because he stole the Dendrobium and accomplished basically nothing while also severely damaging it. Realistically he was distracting Gato which means Gato wasn’t taking out even more feddies so I think Kou was reasonably effective, especially if you consider their respective skill level and experience.

I mean, Amuro got tossed in the brig for stealing the Gundam even when he was good with it. Kou getting in trouble for stealing a prototype without Amuro level results is pretty reasonable, especially compared to everything else about 0083.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It wasn't even just that Kou jacked the GP-03, the entire Albion mutinied. They were ordered to stand down, but defied orders and went rogue to try to stop Stardust.

It's honestly surprising that the ones who didn't join the Titans were let go to be given dead end assignments instead of quietly disappeared into a blacksite.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Are you Team Ball Boy or Team Zaku Boy?

https://twitter.com/gundam_uce/status/1507613811012157440?s=20&t=i2hqu0CQD563_KdvcfBp9w

UC Engage isn't a Build or Breaker game where you can make whatever, all the suits that appear in it are canon. Ball Boy and Zaku Boy are real.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That Zeon analogue of the Ball is a million times more aesthetically appealing than the Oggo, at the very least.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ImpAtom posted:

So you made a statement you knew was dumb just to have an excuse to complain about something you dislike being displayed in any fashion?

I made a post about how I don't think Greco deserves the same consideration or acclaim and recognition as msg or turn a. If you think that's dumb that's your opinion. It might have been a poor post, but y'all wanted to assume I can't understand dates when the dates really had nothing to do with my take, just the context in which it was raised. I referenced kamille as my third major person of tomino importance because I think he's a more important character he made than bellri. That's it, but I get why y'all took it that way.

Clearly that's not what was taken from my post it's fine, but yeah I don't think it was a "dumb" post like that matters if it was.

ninjewtsu posted:

i appreciated tsob giving him the benefit of the doubt and providing a simple explanation

Tsob is a very knowledgeable poster but I don't find always their answers considerate they often read as condescending to me. Which is fine we can all post what we want, but no I don't always appreciate the style. I'm glad you did.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 26, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

lmao

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kanos posted:

It wasn't even just that Kou jacked the GP-03, the entire Albion mutinied. They were ordered to stand down, but defied orders and went rogue to try to stop Stardust.

It's honestly surprising that the ones who didn't join the Titans were let go to be given dead end assignments instead of quietly disappeared into a blacksite.

It's hilarious because Bask definitely gave them a way out by essentially saying "well gently caress, you're here now. Go help out the Cima Fleet, they've been working with us for awhile" only for the Albion to be like "piss off" and attack them anyway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Meh. I know I shouldn't judge something by it's OP but this one was a pretty boring standard "here's your list of characters with a generic background song" intro. Doesn't really get me hyped up like Raise your Flag.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Meh. I know I shouldn't judge something by it's OP but this one was a pretty boring standard "here's your list of characters with a generic background song" intro. Doesn't really get me hyped up like Raise your Flag.

It's a cell phone game. An OP that got you super hyped would be dishonest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I made a post about how I don't think Greco deserves the same consideration or acclaim and recognition as msg or turn a. If you think that's dumb that's your opinion. It might have been a poor post, but y'all wanted to assume I can't understand dates when the dates really had nothing to do with my take, just the context in which it was raised. I referenced kamille as my third major person of tomino importance because I think he's a more important character he made than bellri. That's it, but I get why y'all took it that way.

Clearly that's not what was taken from my post it's fine, but yeah I don't think it was a "dumb" post like that matters if it was.

Tsob is a very knowledgeable poster but I don't find always their answers considerate they often read as condescending to me. Which is fine we can all post what we want, but no I don't always appreciate the style. I'm glad you did.

Kamille was not having an anniversary. You are complaining that a series got recognized on its anniversary instead of an unrelated series that was not celebrating its anniversary.

So yes you are literally complaining that Bellri appeared and calling it undeserved acclaim because he appeared at all despite it making sense in context.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the incredible undeserved recognition of someone posting "these are the gundams I like. here's a picture I drew of them" on twitter

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

the incredible undeserved recognition of someone posting "these are the gundams I like. here's a picture I drew of them" on twitter

They should have drawn the Gundams I like instead.

The lack of the Nether Gundam is going to be discussed at the Hague.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My favorites are the Reborns and the Gabthely, if I was mad every time someone didn't draw them I'd be Hulk level mad constantly

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Reborns is such a buckwild idea

By tucking in my head and reversing my joints, I am now a Guncannon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Runa posted:

The Reborns is such a buckwild idea

By tucking in my head and reversing my joints, I am now a Guncannon

You seen it's predecessor That's also a Guntank

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/CB-0000G/C/T_Reborns_Gundam_Origin

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite part of the Reborns gundam is that they mounted the drive units on the elbows.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Its shoulderguns are beam rifles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think that the main flaw of all Gundam fanart is that we aren't drawing the weird sideline suits from Turn-A constantly.

Every time someone draws a mobile suit, they should be required to sufficiently answer the question 'why am I not drawing a Wodom'.