Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrBims posted:

Of course those three are lagging behind, they're the ones who are going to survive whatever happens next.

That is exactly what I thought. Unlike most people, though, my first thought after it was "oh no Feferi". Please don't double-die, Feferi.

Seoinin posted:

That would be really loving stupid for a variety of reasons including making large parts of the past Act completely irrelevant. psyche they all die again, the end no moral. storytelling *jazz hands*.

Actually, in a way, the perfect capstone to Vriska's arc and lack of character growth or change would be her to (double-)die, having failed utterly and accomplished nothing (besides serving as an example of what not to do to whoever isn't destroyed), really.

Blackheart posted:

This also had somehow ruined Vriska forever and completely eliminated her ~character growth~ (insert Fat Vriska joke here). But well, that's what I get when I read discussions about this comic anywhere outside this thread.

I've said this in here before, but my viewpoint on it is that that's the point; Vriska didn't grow or change. She acknowledged that she was doing bad things, then she kept doing them and enjoying them. She felt a little worse than normal later (see her grinning as she kills Tavros, then moping at John about how she's not a bad person and it's totally his fault she murdered him afterward), but she's basically never actually done anything to show she's become a better person. Hence why I think the universe smacking her down one last time for doing horrible things for her own benefit is actually a decent end to her story.

As long as Feferi isn't collateral damage, at least.

JT Jag posted:

I think the only way this story can really end with a happy ending is with the complete destruction of paradox space while reality itself remains intact. Paradox space is the true antagonist of this story: Any true act of free will inevitable ends in complete oblivion, not just for you but for your entire reality. If the destruction of paradox space and all of its rules is Aradia's endgame and that's what she means by wanting to see what happens when the whole place breaks apart, then she really is the only one with her eyes on the prize.

Not much to say here myself, but I like this theory. Thought Aradia in these updates was interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can I just add it's strangely refreshing to see John be made uncomfortable by something and questioning people's motives? I think it might be character growth on John's part that he's actually digging a little here instead of just accepting things as they're presented to him.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Oh hey! the only three characters who aren't ghosts are keeping their distance from the rest of the group. This can't possibly mean that something bad is about to happen, no siree!. :v:

Aradia is creepy in the most adorable way possible. :3:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm like... 90% onboard with Aradia's philosophy. She's in a corrupt-but-useful system and she's not actively saving it or dooming it. She's letting someone else make the decision, and sticking around to see what happens next.

Dolash posted:

Can I just add it's strangely refreshing to see John be made uncomfortable by something and questioning people's motives? I think it might be character growth on John's part that he's actually digging a little here instead of just accepting things as they're presented to him.

All the dumbassery was funnelled into Jake. There was none left for John.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

Oh yeah, that's definitely nice. John ceasing his passivity (somewhat, he still hasn't off and told Vriska and Aranea that they're lunatics or outright left, though he can't do the latter until he wakes up anyway) is him actually growing as a character and getting ready to start doing things. Exactly what he needs for the final act.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Bobulus posted:

I'm like... 90% onboard with Aradia's philosophy. She's in a corrupt-but-useful system and she's not actively saving it or dooming it. She's letting someone else make the decision, and sticking around to see what happens next.
Aradia's disposition is pretty Buddhist at this point (kindness, pacifism, non-duality, embracing nothingness, attempting to transcend the illusion of reality, etc.) I wonder if that's an intentional decision by Hussie, given the whole Asian things the Aries trolls are paired with.

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The afterlife as we've seen it is has always felt a little sinister to me. The dark gods only created it because Feferi asked them to, and it seems only to exist for session players from universes A, B, or U (which is odd because we know that there are ghosts that don't work that way). In a sense it denies to Sburb players whatever afterlife they would normally have been entitled to, or it might be considered a part of the cruel and mysterious Sburb cycle. For life to end in an eternity of stasis is like Lord English's unconditional immortality: unnatural.

How good can it be if it means John can never in life or in death be reunited with his father?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I really like the original dreambubble afterlife we were presented with, where ghosts just timelessly live out their memories over and over and generally don't realize they're dead unless someone living comes/dreams in to shake them out of it. There's something kind of beautiful and sad about it. The comic got away from it though, with the Beforus trolls all knowing they've been dead in a dreambubble for ages and having post-death relationships and everything.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I really like the original dreambubble afterlife we were presented with, where ghosts just timelessly live out their memories over and over and generally don't realize they're dead unless someone living comes/dreams in to shake them out of it. There's something kind of beautiful and sad about it. The comic got away from it though, with the Beforus trolls all knowing they've been dead in a dreambubble for ages and having post-death relationships and everything.
It wouldn't be the first time Hussie changed something on us in the comic after presenting it. I think the turning point in how dream bubbles were presented happened once Vriska died and immediately knew she was dead, then going to the doomed John and snapping him out of it. My guess is that he never really thought dream bubble mechanics would turn out to play such a huge role in the comic, as it was originally a sort of downplayed thing. It was there sure, but never really explored until Aradia began going through them. Then Act 6 happened and practically all the updates related to the characters outside of B2 took place in those same bubbles.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Anyone know what the trick is behind Power Fantasy sounding ridiculously awesome on headphones?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Well, John sure is learning that trolls are crazy murderous lunatics who only seem charming but are not to be trusted!

I hope this doesn't ruin things for Karkat later. :ohdear:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, John sure is learning that trolls are crazy murderous lunatics who only seem charming but are not to be trusted!

I hope this doesn't ruin things for Karkat later. :ohdear:

My ships! :(

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

My revolution of the proletariat! :(

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Aradia is the most adorable true neutral. :3:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Action Shakespeare posted:

Aradia is the most adorable true neutral. :3:

Yeah, at this point I'm almost regretting switching avatars.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
After like half an hour of wearing my Vriska shirt, I already feel more confident (and assholish). This is fuckin' awesome.

Bless you, Vriska. Bliska.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Congratulations John, you're finally understanding what's going on for once.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I figure it's a domino effect. Things started out that way, but once you get one guy to wake up it starts cascading through the nontime/nonspace of the furthest ring as people start walking in on others memories

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Or Aradia has just gone around waking up groups of people

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Vriska and Meenah are the only people we've seen in dreambubbles immediately after dying, am I correct about that? (not counting people who had already been in the dreambubbles once before, like Nepeta and Feferi)

It could actually be that only beta timeline characters are unaware of their deaths when in dreambubbles unless awakened by outside forces, too--it was the Dave that got slashed by Jack Noir and the John who was killed by Typheus who weren't initially aware of where they were.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

nerdbot posted:

Vriska and Meenah are the only people we've seen in dreambubbles immediately after dying, am I correct about that? (not counting people who had already been in the dreambubbles once before, like Nepeta and Feferi)

I can't remember any off the top of my head, except for Hussie himself.

EDIT: I just realized Expedition contains a remix of English (and Explore, but I knew that already). :psyboom: It's just barely recognizable, unless you start specifically listening for it. Or maybe I'm just bad at this.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 23, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: I just realized Expedition contains a remix of English (and Explore, but I knew that already). :psyboom: It's just barely recognizable, unless you start specifically listening for it. Or maybe I'm just bad at this.

I recognized it right away (hey is this a happy version of lord english's theme?), but then again it's also mentioned in the song description:

Expedition posted:

"Expedition by Mark Hadley, featuring melodies from "English" by Toby "Radiation" Fox and "Explore" by George Buzinkai "

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I recognized it right away (hey is this a happy version of lord english's theme?), but then again it's also mentioned in the song description:

I'm apparently just blind/illiterate/a complete moron, then. :downs:

(Either that or I just plain forgot, I guess.)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Color Printer posted:

I'm apparently just blind/illiterate/a complete moron, then. :downs:

(Either that or I just plain forgot, I guess.)

Don't feel bad, there's so much Homestuck music at this point that even when I recognize an existing melody worked into another piece, I don't remember its name half the time.

For example I still wouldn't know which piece is Penumbral Phantasm (despite everybody else seeming to because it crops up everywhere) without having realized that FantasyP is basically Penumbral Phantasm: Happy Version.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I sure hope you guys hit the replay button on this flash.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So comic-Hussie was trying to bring Vriska back to life. This can only go a few ways.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wasn't there somebody who theorized that a gold ring about that size could be stretched to a length of one yard, or flattened to a square yard, or something?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
That has to be the most meta "HUSSSSSSSSIE!" ever.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So, did John bring that ring with him? Now would be a great time to bring that out.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Isn't John currently in possession of that ring?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Factory Factory posted:

Isn't John currently in possession of that ring?

Yeah, but he's not wearing it right now. It was sitting on the couch when he started dreaming

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I sure hope you guys hit the replay button on this flash.

I was really hoping the audio controls would do the same thing, since it didn't seem to have any sound as far as I could tell.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

John may have the ring but I think he'd be too responsible to go around using it willy-nilly without knowing more first.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All the ghosts start fighting over the Ring of Life, creating chaos that Lord English can exploit. John is going to find somebody dead and use the ring on them. But whom?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ah, so this is how Nepeta finally comes back.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bongo Bill posted:

All the ghosts start fighting over the Ring of Life, creating chaos that Lord English can exploit. John is going to find somebody dead and use the ring on them. But whom?

He should use the ring on Sollux, finally putting to rest the 'alive/dead/half-alive/half-ghost' bullshit.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Aaaaaaaaaaand there's our seven dragonballs.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

If only there was a dead character, possibly connected to the main villain of the comic, who might be able to turn the tables if they came back to life.

Can't think of anyone, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Assuming the ring is a one-time use item (no way Hussie would let everyone resurrect in an orderly fashion), he essentially gave Vriska a 1-up.

Alternately, perhaps Caliborn gets his hand on the ring, and that explains why defeating him isn't enough to "win"?

edit: Yeah, Calliope will probably get it, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, here we go, we've finally got the unambiguous no-strings-attached-(yet) get-out-of-being-dead card. More than likely, since it's a ring, it'll only get used once (would kind of kill the drama if they all passed it around in a big circle, coming back to life). I'm going to guess the ring of void will get mistaken for it at least once, probably after going through a big fuss to get their hands on it.

It'll probably go to some version of Calliope.

Edit: In order to really emphasize how Feferi and Nepeta have outlived what little usefulness they ever had, they will never speak real words again between now and their inevitable double-deaths.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 24, 2013