Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lone Goat posted:

I have a personal aversion to listening to Russo words, can someone gimme the jist of this?

Russo does 20 minutes on how cool and smart he is. Diverts briefly to how Jim Cornette is a violent meanie. The best part is when Russo "apologizes" for McMahon and Carter liking him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Cornette's promo challenging Russo is the best wrestling promo that's been cut this year. It's old school, crude, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, and probably any other non-pc stuff you can come up with but it's still great.

Him throwing the mic down at the end and the barely audible 'gently caress' afterwards is perfect.

Lone Goat posted:

I have a personal aversion to listening to Russo words, can someone gimme the jist of this?

Listening to it now, it starts with the line "I come to you in all sincerity..." which, if you can also imagine Russo's accent, may be the Russo-est thing ever and the amount of epic bullshit I expect to come after this is going to be unparalleled.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet they could sell out a good-sized theater Wrestlemania Weekend for a Russo vs. Cornette one-on-one interview

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

some guy on the bus posted:

In reply to that, Cornette says he's going to find Russo's address and give him something. Something he deserves and won't see coming.

His podcast ends with "You deserve this and you're going to get exactly what you deserve. They say it's better to give than to receive Vince, and in this case that couldn't be more true. I promise, I promise, I promise you that I can't wait to give it to you. I can't wait to see the look on your face when you get it."

Should we call the police?

Thank god they're finally going to gently caress and get it over with

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If Corny and Russo killed each other it would be a fitting end.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I really wish Bruce Prichard would stop making GBS threads on Meltzer so much (he isn't the only one, there have plenty of wrestling things I listen to that poo poo on him too, Prichard is just the latest that has annoyed me). He throws these constant insults like "This so called wrestling reporter just pulls things out of his rear end and makes things up." He also constantly shits on him with "That is 100% false" then goes on to tell the "truth" in which 80% of what Meltzer said was accurate.

Do these people realise the loving industry they work in? It's a goddam live action soap opera. You should be grateful that you have "reporters" of any kind and how do expect him to be 100% accurate when the companies have complete narrative control over their product and they are going to try and keep every behind the scenes detail out of the public spotlight and block these reporters every step of the way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

whiteyfats posted:

I wish somebody would interview Bryan's extremely Mexican father about the burdens of raising possibly the whitest man in Seattle.

Bryan and Vinny aren't siblings.

Looten Plunder posted:

I really wish Bruce Prichard would stop making GBS threads on Meltzer so much (he isn't the only one, there have plenty of wrestling things I listen to that poo poo on him too, Prichard is just the latest that has annoyed me). He throws these constant insults like "This so called wrestling reporter just pulls things out of his rear end and makes things up." He also constantly shits on him with "That is 100% false" then goes on to tell the "truth" in which 80% of what Meltzer said was accurate.

Do these people realise the loving industry they work in? It's a goddam live action soap opera. You should be grateful that you have "reporters" of any kind and how do expect him to be 100% accurate when the companies have complete narrative control over their product and they are going to try and keep every behind the scenes detail out of the public spotlight and block these reporters every step of the way.

People in "the business" are the biggest marks of them all.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Looten Plunder posted:

I guess I just really don't get why people get so mad at Meltzer. Like, he's a good writer, an excellent wrestling historian, and generally pretty entertaining to listen to when he talks.

To me, he's a slightly more acerbic Bill Apter, and I'll be god damned if I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about apter.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Wasn't making GBS threads on Meltzer what got Prichard's podcast noticed in the first place? Probably just sticking to what gets him hits.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Just how loving baked is Riddle during this interview?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I guess I just really don't get why people get so mad at Meltzer. Like, he's a good writer, an excellent wrestling historian, and generally pretty entertaining to listen to when he talks.

To me, he's a slightly more acerbic Bill Apter, and I'll be god damned if I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about apter.

I don't understand it either, and I generally don't agree (completely) with his star ratings, but that's the worst I can say. He's by far the best in the field and it's not even close, IMO. Prichard has a cultist's devotion to Vince McMahon and that drives his compulsive need to fail at discrediting Meltzer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's a work.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

here comes the spunk posted:

Just how loving baked is Riddle during this interview?

Baked enough to not beat his kids

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jason Sextro posted:

I don't understand it either, and I generally don't agree (completely) with his star ratings, but that's the worst I can say. He's by far the best in the field and it's not even close, IMO. Prichard has a cultist's devotion to Vince McMahon and that drives his compulsive need to fail at discrediting Meltzer.

So we're finally unmasking rovert for who he really is, then

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

The only reason you or anyone is talking about Bruce Prichard in 2017, and the reason why he's an onscreen character for TNA in same, is because of him throwing shade on Dirty Dave on his podcast. Bruce should be sending royalties to Dave.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

The only reason you or anyone is talking about Bruce Prichard in 2017, and the reason why he's an onscreen character for TNA in same, is because of him throwing shade on Dirty Dave on his podcast. Bruce should be sending royalties to Dave.

Or at least a percentage of that sweet, sweet Anthem money

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've always just viewed it as such:
- People "in the business" like to believe or like to project the idea that the wrestling business is extremely complicated and that us dumb marks would never understand it without also being "in the business" first.
- Wrestling isn't that complicated, and what about it is complicated is just the insane, nonsensical unwritten rule carny bullshit that most people would immediately disregard as being stupid and archaic.
- Dave is a pretty common sense no bullshit guy who cuts through all the carny poo poo and just talks about wrestling in a common sense, logical way.
- This is :siren: exposing the business :siren:.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I didn't/don't actually know who Bruce Prichard is and just started listening to a few episodes of his podcast because he was interviewed by the Cheap Heat guys.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Platypus Farm posted:

Bill Apter worked in kayfabe all the time, I thought. Certainly all the magazines I bought from him all treated it as real.

Some wrestlers are very opposed to any peeks behind the curtain. Some aren't.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I haven't listed to Wade Keller recently but he was incredibly hung up on wrestlers breaking kayfabe on twitter for a while. I think he (and credulous WWE investors) might be the only person who thinks social media affects the business.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I haven't listed to Wade Keller recently but he was incredibly hung up on wrestlers breaking kayfabe on twitter for a while. I think he (and credulous WWE investors) might be the only person who thinks social media affects the business.

I would like consistency in my social media. Like if WWE twitter is going 'Rollins is going to WRECK Triple H' at WM' and rollins is tweetnig about how he's going to do that, then Triple H teaching blind kids to walk on his social media is kind of ruining that channel of interaction with fans.

I've no idea if anyone is consistently in character or not though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best out of character interview was the one where Undertaker was telling the story of him basically telling HBK he was going to have a long night if he didn't go out there and drop the title to Austin at WM14.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Jason Sextro posted:

Or at least a percentage of that sweet, sweet Anthem money

So does he just, like, cut the IOU in half and send it to Dave?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Vaguido posted:

So does he just, like, cut the IOU in half and send it to Dave?

Yeah or a separate IOU for a small percentage of the original Anthem one

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hi did someone here say Meltzer is a good writer?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

Hi did someone here say Meltzer is a good writer?

Good reporting has nothing to do with whether or not you need an editor so...I doubt it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No less an authority than Frank Deford has called Dave an excellent reporter, and he would know.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

Good reporting has nothing to do with whether or not you need an editor so...I doubt it?

Platypus Farm posted:

he's a good writer

!!

I'm mostly kidding. I'm a subscriber and love the newsletter but I wouldn't say it's typically well written.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
As morbid as it is, the obituaries are his best work. His Muhammad Ali obituary last year and Nick Bockwinkel's last appearance at cauliflower alley were both great.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's funny for a stooge like Prichard to say Dave just pulls things out of his rear end, because if everyone else knows Dave has sources like Flair/Heyman/Rock and Bruce doesn't well that's sad as gently caress

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

he's right

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

!!

I'm mostly kidding. I'm a subscriber and love the newsletter but I wouldn't say it's typically well written.

:negative: I'll never recover from this.

WO Newsletter is great, the only thing I could say about Dave is that he could probably use an editor but I'm not sure if that's feasible. The funniest thing about Bruce Pritchard was him saying Dave's coverage of Montreal was subpar when he was on Cornette's podcast.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The best thing about Meltzer IMO is that--yeah, he's absolutely got biases and a certain way that he sees the business and the way he thinks it should work, but he's very open about his manner of thinking, how he came to think that way, and usually provides evidence to support his case. His logic chains are sometimes ramble but are pretty coherent taken as a whole. What this does is allow for cogent counter-arguments, because he's providing an actual argument.

You can compare him in this way to someone like Dan Carlin, who in his Common Sense podcast comes from a lot of different places politically, but is very transparent about the way he thinks so that it's easy to understand how his position was developed.

And Meltzer is fairly consistent in his reasoning as well. I can watch any match in the last thirty years and have a relatively decent idea of how he would rate it, within a half-star. Someone like Cornett or whoever isn't consistent with reactions because they're trying to take advantage of the times/trends/moods even though they insist their mindset was set in stone long ago.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Holy poo poo, Granny on the new B&V is amazing. She is having the time of her drat life.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I disagree strongly with the notion that Dave is good at explaining his reasoning when reviewing a match or even putting into words what worked and what didn', and often times his explanations are really bizarre

I do agree that he's generally consistent, however. I'm rarely surprised by his opinions

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dave's match reviews are useful given the context of him watching insane amounts of wrestling but I generally agree that he's poor at explaining why he liked or didn't liked a match, and bizarrely inconsistent when it comes to explaining how much things like "what promotion was the match in" or "how hot was the crowd" affect things.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Completely disagree. His reasoning is always logical. Need examples to back up your arguments please.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dave's writing itself is often hard to understand, but I think the underlying logic is pretty consistent and simple

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jason Sextro posted:

If he is a good reporter where were the scoops in this week's issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

rovert posted:

If he is a good reporter where were the scoops in this week's issue?

holy poo poo you really are Bruce Prichard

• Locked thread