Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The V10 TDI Phaetons are legal for import into canada now, and the 04s which are the legal ones currently are around $5k-$10k.

It seems like the best worst idea there is.

e: looking at the other engines, it seems V6s are worth more than V8s are worth more than V10 TDIs are worth more than W12s.

I'm guessing fuel economy might play a role.

e: yeah, woof

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

WTF $21K? You could buy one of those 5 years ago for less than that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They've gone full circle from "stupid" to "rare and collectable"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

The V10 TDI Phaetons are legal for import into canada now, and the 04s which are the legal ones currently are around $5k-$10k.

It seems like the best worst idea there is.

e: looking at the other engines, it seems V6s are worth more than V8s are worth more than V10 TDIs are worth more than W12s.

I'm guessing fuel economy might play a role.

e: yeah, woof

Maintenance probably plays a big part in value. I think the first step on most procedures on the W12 is "remove engine".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't say it was Automotive Sanity, did I?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
At every point from inspiration to design to production, anyone that said "stop" was probably removed from the project.

I've always loved that car. But would never want to own one.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KillHour posted:

I didn't say it was Automotive Sanity, did I?

The only reason I know they were significantly less expensive before is because I was looking into one. Who doesn't want a VW-badged Bentley for cheap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Took a few minutes to work out WTF I was looking at then wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow poo poo it aint dumb if it works.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I can't really tell what it's supporting. Is that an exhaust or a big gently caress-off sway bar or something else?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Exhaust.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That's what I originally figured and started doubting myself, thanks.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The Prong Song posted:

The only reason I know they were significantly less expensive before is because I was looking into one. Who doesn't want a VW-badged Bentley for cheap?

I want a VW-badged Veyron. With a Golf face

e: I guess this will have to do:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 24, 2019

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

"Mullet" as in hairdo, right?

quote:

This is a very rare car and I believe only around 1000 were made worldwide, it is regarded as one of the first ever Datsun dual cabs made. This is a very early Datsun and seldom seen, they built them well 56 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1962-Datsun-U320-1200-Ute/173681115641?hash=item28703381f9:g:iSwAAOSw5wJcC0k~

And this I posted in another thread

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaLNuFunQIE

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-11/

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 24, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Here is the whole manual in .pdf form if you'd like it, freshly scanned today:

Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon L300 User Manual

Soon I'll actually have the van but for now original manuals only!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KakerMix posted:

Here is the whole manual in .pdf form if you'd like it, freshly scanned today:

Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon L300 User Manual

Soon I'll actually have the van but for now original manuals only!

ive wanted a delica really loving bad for a long long time and this is only making it worse

:negative:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 24, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Japanese manuals like that are great, I remember the Tamiya RC car ones having similarly adorable illustrations :3:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Does it come with a loving flare?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
if there was a thread specifically for these i would read every post

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

dude it comes with fuckin karaoke

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shai-Hulud posted:

It's a requirement. Or at least was

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Can you imagine trusting every American in this day and age with a flare strapped somewhere to their car

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm from germany and i don't think i've never even seen a flare. Lit or unlit. They're just not a thing over here.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I think it was in Japan. I vaugely recall Moog saying something about it when they went to pick up the Fairlady. He may have also tasted it, iirc.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

coincidentally awesome van stuff just popped up on IG:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thief posted:

gently caress

yes

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shai-Hulud posted:

All the cars I import come with flares, yes. As was said, it is a requirement or at least was.
Always one bright red flare.

Thief posted:

if there was a thread specifically for these i would read every post

Like I said in the import thread we're going to scan all the ones we have, seems like it would be a useful thing to do for people now and in the future, always have an archive of manuals. We have the one for the Rugger and the Bongo with similarly cute and goofy characters. We've got a LandCruiser Prado one and a Suzuki Jimny one too but those aren't as fun. Still useful to have.

Thief posted:

:krad:

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

Thief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokKGXBPE5A

poo poo's so scary it freaks out a pro driver. Can't say I blame him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9RK53t1u9w

Not translated but there's a build log as well, kinda nuts what they went through to shoehorn that engine in there.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I've never actually read the owners manual for my Rocky, I wonder if I can find it, or at least it's cutesy like a pinku bento box. The service manual is super dry and booooooring.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

shy boy from chess club posted:

I think it was in Japan. I vaugely recall Moog saying something about it when they went to pick up the Fairlady. He may have also tasted it, iirc.

Yeah instead of a warning triangle you use the flare, makes sense as in the dark it will give people more of a headsup that someones broken down. My car has the holder but the flares never make the trip over here, I should just find a nice pen torch that will fit the holder haha.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

The 93 MX-3 I had came with a flare, and I'm in America. Either that or the previous owner shoved one under the spare tire for shits and giggles.

e; it was an old rear end flare when i lit it about 20 years ago. it took forever to light and barely burned.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 25, 2019

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

NurSpec posted:

poo poo's so scary it freaks out a pro driver.

holyshit is that the same guy that made the waterspray contraption for his PVC drift kei car?

i'm surprise that thing didn't flip over :ohdear:

ty for the linking this, i didn't realize option was such an active channel

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

Thief posted:

ty for the linking this, i didn't realize option was such an active channel
Yeah, it's pretty neat, they're even uploading old stuff that was only on their VHS and DVD issues back in the day.

Plus, you get to see sick stuff like this dude's C2 Vette, I'm sure it qualifies for the thread :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C03Ou1YpxQ

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Same setup as a LEGO engine. :sigh:

I was never as disillusioned in my life as I was when I found out the two banks in a V-engine weren't symmetrical because the bores didn't line up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FBS posted:

Same setup as a LEGO engine. :sigh:

I was never as disillusioned in my life as I was when I found out the two banks in a V-engine weren't symmetrical because the bores didn't line up.

Some of the 90 degree ones are pretty close. If it makes you feel better, Bentley's W12 has bores that line up perfectly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are there no V8s that use forked conrods like a Harley-Davidson so that the cylinders can be perfectly aligned with one another?

Even if there aren't any mass-produced engines with that configuration, I'd be surprised if no one has ever done it with actual motorcycle parts just to say they had. A cruiser with a custom 7.2L "Harley-Davidson" V8 made from four v-twins would probably sell instantly for six figures.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Are there no V8s that use forked conrods like a Harley-Davidson so that the cylinders can be perfectly aligned with one another?

Even if there aren't any mass-produced engines with that configuration, I'd be surprised if no one has ever done it with actual motorcycle parts just to say they had. A cruiser with a custom 7.2L "Harley-Davidson" V8 made from four v-twins would probably sell instantly for six figures.

It would actually be a 7.5L if made from modern V-Twin Harley parts or a 7.7 from the high end models. It would sound glorious, make gobs of torque and HP but then eat itself apart after about 5k miles.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

It would actually be a 7.5L if made from modern V-Twin Harley parts or a 7.7 from the high end models. It would sound glorious, make gobs of torque and HP but then eat itself apart after about 5k miles.

If it's the 120cu" ones, 7.8 liters, Four Hunnert Horsepower. The most American of engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure Rolls has done it.