Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

boba fetacheese posted:

Uhhh first faeries deserves a 1 drop.

Unless they unban Recruiter get the gently caress in line behind Goblin's two drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Filtering is still good even if you aren't allowed to have good cantrips in Modern, it still adds value with Snapcaster (who is an honorary Spirit / Faerie), and in the case of UW Spirits you have nothing else to do on turn 1 other than Mausoleum Wanderer. It's undoubtedly the worst card in the deck but the next best option is Topplegeist in a deck that doesn't even have four card types.

Bant is the better version of the deck but I'm not spending $250 on Hierarchs and it's not really the same without them.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 16, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I have a hard time seeing why you play Serum Visions unless you are playing a deck like Grixis Shadow. But then again I don't cast blue spells like ever so the entire concept of that color is beyond my ken.

You play it because it allows you to keep hands you would not otherwise be able to keep.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShaneB posted:

The "tier 1" section of MTG Salvation's Modern subforum has 14 decks now. The People's Format.

I mean, there's 2 death's shadow decks, i dont thi k dredge is tier 1 since the GGT re-ban, and UR Storm sure as poo poo aint tier 1, but that's still double digits of tier 1 decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ok so now why are we playing Snapcaster in spirits? Are we secretly playing UW control? I think I had like 6 spells when I was playing straight UW.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unless they unban Recruiter get the gently caress in line behind Goblin's two drop

Uh, Piledriver? War Marshal to a lesser extent? Warren Weirding, technically?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Were you playing with or without Vials (also on the list of expensive cards I don't own)? I'd imagine the Vial build would end up with something like that distribution, but without you end up with something more analogous to Faeries.

There are definitely not enough Modern-worthy spirits to fill out that many cards if you are hardcasting all of them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I started with Vials but they were terrible so I added like, 2 Ojutai's Command and a Kira and something else I don't remember.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mehall posted:

I mean, there's 2 death's shadow decks, i dont thi k dredge is tier 1 since the GGT re-ban, and UR Storm sure as poo poo aint tier 1, but that's still double digits of tier 1 decks.

Storm is tier 1 now. A buddy has been testing it against me and drat it feels busted. Beyond anecdotes, the MTG 5-0 results back it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My noncreature spells:

4 x Serum Visions (I hate this card but I have no other good one-drops. Maybe I could cut it down to three)
4 x Path to Exile
4 x Remand
2 x Cryptic
1 x Spell Pierce (flex slot: I've found it very good at going on top of the stack after a Spell Queller to counter a bolt or whatever trying to get their card back)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ShaneB posted:

Storm is tier 1 now. A buddy has been testing it against me and drat it feels busted. Beyond anecdotes, the MTG 5-0 results back it.

I haven't been playing heavily for quite a while, but I've had UR storm built for years. What changed to push it back to T1?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

leper khan posted:

I haven't been playing heavily for quite a while, but I've had UR storm built for years. What changed to push it back to T1?

The blue legend. The deck does have a lot of silver bullets against it though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

leper khan posted:

Baral, and I'd wager the current metagame, which is very very slightly slower now.

Sickening posted:

The blue legend. The deck does have a lot of silver bullets against it though.

My buddy and I are playing at a LGS and I'm putting in a singleton Eidolon of Rhetoric in my board to tutor up with Traverse in case we get paired up.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Filtering is still good even if you aren't allowed to have good cantrips in Modern, it still adds value with Snapcaster (who is an honorary Spirit / Faerie), and in the case of UW Spirits you have nothing else to do on turn 1 other than Mausoleum Wanderer. It's undoubtedly the worst card in the deck but the next best option is Topplegeist in a deck that doesn't even have four card types.

Bant is the better version of the deck but I'm not spending $250 on Hierarchs and it's not really the same without them.

If you're playing u/w definitely play with vials and Thalia's.

Also loving lol at noble prices. I picked up a play set of judge foils for $50 each years ago and I have no regrets.

But seriously drop the money for the mana dorks or don't play the deck. T2 Geist is no joke.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Mezzanon posted:

But seriously drop the money for the mana dorks or don't play the deck. T2 Geist is no joke.

It wasn't a joke in standard, and it's not a joke in modern.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Count Bleck posted:

I just want one good merfolk from Ixalan and I'm fine.

Harbinger of the Tides almost never feels good to play anymore.

I don't know about that, "tbr my shadow", "ok, flash in harbinger?" Always feels decent.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

Also loving lol at noble prices. I picked up a play set of judge foils for $50 each years ago and I have no regrets.

I'm glad I picked up my hierarchy at 25 a pop.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

That's why Chandra 6 is so well positioned.

Maybe intro deck walkers weren't so weak if you're singing the praises of Pyrogenius.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Maybe intro deck walkers weren't so weak if you're singing the praises of Pyrogenius.

OGW Chandra, unless that was a joke.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Voyager I posted:

My noncreature spells:

4 x Serum Visions (I hate this card but I have no other good one-drops. Maybe I could cut it down to three)
4 x Path to Exile
4 x Remand
2 x Cryptic
1 x Spell Pierce (flex slot: I've found it very good at going on top of the stack after a Spell Queller to counter a bolt or whatever trying to get their card back)

What is the last Bant Spirits deck to put up a result in modern? Can't find one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

I don't know about that, "tbr my shadow", "ok, flash in harbinger?" Always feels decent.

I haven't actually played against Death's Shadow so I guess I don't know that feeling.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

OGW Chandra, unless that was a joke.

there's three 6-cmc Chandras, two of which are standard legal.

My brother called Garruk, Primal Hunter "Big Garruk" even though there are two more Garruk planeswalker cards with higher CMCs.

Next large set, we will have over one hundred different planeswalker cards, and if we get lazy with nicknames we will enter a dark age.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

"Real Baby Jace"
"Baby Jace"
"Big Daddy Jace"
"Anime Jace"
"The Bad One"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mezzanon posted:

I mean you can make the timing work with Birds, but losing the exalted trigger matters a lot, especially when part of the game plan is attacking with a 2/2 in a deck that doesn't otherwise contest the ground. Geist is unplayable if you aren't doing something to help it get through.

It can't be as bad as trying to play something like Infect with birds, but I'm still not keen to try it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Looking forward to The Really Bad PW Deck Jace in Hour.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What does a good UR Storm list look like? I haven't updated my deck and it still has Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain and Seething Song in it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

What does a good UR Storm list look like? I haven't updated my deck and it still has Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain and Seething Song in it.

Just look at all these lists here. I think they are pretty standard at this point: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-storm-32901#paper

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, Marvel probably isn't bannable but its one of the most outrageously un-fun cards in a long time, which says a lot given we have 4 banned cards in Standard right now.

Hitting any two of card, mana and speed advantage is pretty ridiculous, but Marvel provides all three at a stupidly low cost because WOTC's developers weren't smart enough to notice all of the energy producers they were making around Marvel were simply too good. In a world where 6 energy gives you a repreatable spin of the Marvel, a 3 mana 3/2 with draw a card and 3E is just so far beyond what it should be. The problem isn't even energy itself though, it's Marvel. Everything else that uses Energy is tuned around the real-life play conditions and how much energy you can get, e.g. Harnessed Lightning. It's just that Aetherworks Marvel is priced far too aggressively without any meaningful restrictions, presumably because they're either too dumb to notice how overpowered it is to get a spin of the Marvel or because energy was at one point harder to get.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 16, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

What is the last Bant Spirits deck to put up a result in modern? Can't find one.

Caleb won an open a few months ago.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Caleb won an open a few months ago.

If you can believe it, it's been SEVEN MONTHS since that happened. Time is crazy. :(

Here's that list: http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108812

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

There's also the whole "Marvel is a Legendary Artifact, so if you have an extra copy, that's more Energy you can spend."

Marvel as a card in general is just awful, and it made story important cards (that they love to gush about) too strong, to the point one had to be banned.

That should've been the red flag.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So if Marvel gets banned, what's the next card we bitch about?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Emrakul made emrakul needs to be banned, tbh

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Star Man posted:

Is Fatal Push $10 yet?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Star Man posted:

Let's go back to Gideon of the Trials, that's a classic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

They aren't going to ban Marvel simply because the optics of banning more cards is too bad. They'll just argue that Ulamog is rotating.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What's weird about Aetherworks Marvel is that triggering it costs 6 energy. Every other card with a "big effect" costs 8 energy.

These big effects are things like...

Create a 6/6 token. (8 energy)
Deal 6 damage to target player (8 energy and an unsick creature)
Take an extra turn (8 energy, 6 Mana, unrepeatable)
Untap all creatures and make another attack (8 energy)
Return all other creatures to hand (8 energy, sorcery speed, on a 7CC body)

6 energy effects are
Draw 3 cards (2 Mana, unrepeatable)
Spin the loving marvel wheel (4 Mana, repeatable, no summoning sickness, can be triggered at instant speed)

Marvel should've either been 8 energy, 6 Mana, entered the battlefield tapped, or been a tap effect on a creature.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Count Bleck posted:

"Real Baby Jace"
"Baby Jace"
"Big Daddy Jace"
"Anime Jace"
"The Bad One"

I actually tilted the gently caress out at an fnm when I cast slaughter games naming Anime Jace against a friend and he was like "wait which one"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I'm running out Death's Shadow Jund for the first time tonight with absolutely zero playing. Any "strictly don't do this" type stuff I should know? I've read articles about the deck, how to use the various cantrips and whatnot, so I feel like I have those in my mind even though I'm sure I'll leave a lot of percentage points on the table.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

So I'm running out Death's Shadow Jund for the first time tonight with absolutely zero playing. Any "strictly don't do this" type stuff I should know? I've read articles about the deck, how to use the various cantrips and whatnot, so I feel like I have those in my mind even though I'm sure I'll leave a lot of percentage points on the table.

It's a very hard deck to play. You just need to get alot of reps with it though since there are a lot of tricky interactions you have to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I actually tilted the gently caress out at an fnm when I cast slaughter games naming Anime Jace against a friend and he was like "wait which one"
I for one can't name the planeswalker from a particular duel deck off the cuff. :colbert:

Edit: Oh it's just Beleren.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 16, 2017