Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MarquiseMindfang posted:

you can get tomes from level 1, you don't need to be 20 for it to replace EX roulette, only if you want a relic

You get no tomes or other loot from fates that are above your level. Only exp. Up until level 10-12 or so, that is 90% of the fates being cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If we're referring to designs, Lamatshu is just Calofisteri with a squid on her head.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

EponymousMrYar posted:

Uh, technically there are only 2 new bosses in Eureka, one being Pazuzu which is mostly a Diabolos clone with more abilities and Lamashtu, which no one ever does anymore. Lamashtu is ALREADY old content.

I would also rather take 2 & a half hours a week compared to a single 3 hour stint in Eureka. I don't have a second monitor and usually when I play a game I like to actually play the game.

If roulettes are bad, Eureka is worse.

If you're only counting, like, models, maybe.

If you're counting mechanics, there's never anything new in Eureka or EX dungeons.

I'm just counting "haven't been fighting for 3 months already".

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

and for my time i'll take 20 different bosses over 9, 3 (or 6) of which will already be 3 months old at any given time.

Yeah, all those amazing and interesting boss fights in eureka. Polyphemus is so unique!

I love that it's entirely possible to cook dinner while playing eureka. Congrats to SE for turning their MMO into an idle phone game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Neither Pazuzu nor Lamashtu are even new models. They at least have fresh skins (though you barely even see Lamashtu between all the particle effects and her cave being so drat dark).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

troofs posted:

Yeah, all those amazing and interesting boss fights in eureka. Polyphemus is so unique!

I love that it's entirely possible to cook dinner while playing eureka. Congrats to SE for turning their MMO into an idle phone game.

As opposed to... actually, you know what I can't even name a single current EX roulette boss. They are that completely forgettable. There's the wind snake that does... nothing... and the other thing that does... um... well it probably puts red markers on the floor.

It's all picking your flavour of boredom. I happen to like the other one.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't believe the 1500 dps blm in all my dungeons that 'doesn't care enough to remember mechanics' posts here.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lotta people here not understanding that "I kind of enjoy thing" does not inherently mean "thing is good and well designed".

I mean gently caress, I'm at expert at this, I willingly played and enjoyed Star Trek Online. But there's no way in hell I'll say it's good or couldn't be significantly better designed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

As opposed to... actually, you know what I can't even name a single current EX roulette boss. They are that completely forgettable. There's the wind snake that does... nothing... and the other thing that does... um... well it probably puts red markers on the floor.

Genbu, Ultimate Warrior, Ultimate Beast. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Genbu, Ultimate Warrior, Ultimate Beast. :colbert:

Stupid-easy Rock Cyclops, Kamaitachi (which I know how to spell because it's a Geomancer's ability from FFT) Genbu, Knockoff Obelisk of Nod, Ultimate Warrior, Ultima Weapon. :colbert: :colbert:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 25, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just had a hard crash during the Nidhogg fight in The Aery.

I boot back up pretty quickly and am greeted by the victory fanfare over this:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Without even trying:

Big rear end in a top hat cyclops who occasionally chases someone around
Wind Ferret
Genbu
Tomestone of Death
Utlimate Warrior who uses the three statue's abilities
Ultima Weapon from FF6

The only one I'd say is really hard to remember is the the first and that's because there are a dime a dozen identical to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Stupid-easy Rock Cyclops, Kamaitachi (which I know how to spell because it's a Geomancer's ability from FFT) Genbu, Knockoff Obelisk of Nod, Ultimate Warrior, Ultima Weapon. :colbert: :colbert:

Two of those aren't names!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Without even trying:

Wind Ferret
Genbu
Tomestone of Death
Ultima Weapon from FF6

The only one I'd say is really hard to remember is the the first and that's because there are a dime a dozen identical to it.

Yeah, aside from chasing the healer for a moment, he’s just another Coincounter.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Without even trying:

Wind Ferret
Genbu
Tomestone of Death
Ultima Weapon from FF6

That cyclops is a big Lava Oni with melting lava rock mask and it owns. I really don't get what HomestuckName is trying to get at.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That cyclops is a big Lava Oni with melting lava rock mask and it owns. I really don't get what HomestuckName is trying to get at.

Even with that, no one off the top of our heads remembers what it's name actually is.
(It's Otake-maru by the way, I looked it up :ssh:)

Kamaitachi would similarly be less interesting except he can very easily kill people with his mechanics while the only time I have ever seen anyone die on Otake-maru was someone disconnecting as they were targeted for being chased and people who pick up some vuln stack's and forget that 111-tonz slash Actually Does Enough Damage To Be A Threat.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

So if we’re not meant to do expert roulette, and we’re not meant to do Eureka, what are we meant to play?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

oh no blimp issue posted:

So if we’re not meant to do expert roulette, and we’re not meant to do Eureka, what are we meant to play?

You're only allowed to collect mendacity from savage raids.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Battletech, looks like. :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Battletech, looks like. :v:

astragalos was bad, too

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Warframe, MonHun, Dad of Boy.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Me, doing this from work.

ARF Hard:
Tomestone monolith who has formation turrets, also drops gravity and line poo poo.
The big guy who does the Warring Triad moves, knockback and a line aoe while an advertising pitch goes off in the background.
Beast man, with the power to confuse me with his non-telegraphed aoe, a flare star that's not actually a flare move and the byakko 8 way aoe.

Hell's Lid:
Lava dude who does some spins, drops his weapons and vomits lava.
Wind snake who bisects the arena, drops portals, adds and tornadoes and does some cool dashing poo poo.
Hexagon man, the greatest boss of the expansion.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Also Truga was right about everything, I'm just too lazy to quote all their posts and say "Same."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I love hexagon man

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:chloe:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Chucat posted:

Beast man, with the power to confuse me with his non-telegraphed aoe, a flare star that's not actually a flare move and the byakko 8 way aoe.

It is telegraphed: you're supposed to run in or out depending on whether he's on two legs or four. The problem is that I can never remember which is which.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

jalapeno_dude posted:

It is telegraphed: you're supposed to run in or out depending on whether he's on two legs or four. The problem is that I can never remember which is which.

lmao I hate this game.

I'm glad the joke I made about how you have to run left if Sephirot scratches his balls and right if he scratches his rear end has now come true.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Still a more entertaining grind than Eureka, fite me.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Ultima Beast is just a lovely version of that lion thing at the end of Skalla.

Only thing that could make Hexagon man better if his wave thing cued up surfer rock and had turtles on it.

Both dungeons suck in general aside from Hexagon man and I've had more fun watching Fafnir kill 100 people with a tail slap than doing either dungeon.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Warframe is a good corridor shooter with a couple hundred different weapons, and while plains update isn't incredible, it's a nice change of pace when you want to slow things down a bit. The new game mode they just released is great fun too.

I think the only content that doesn't really work well for them is archwing, and it's still not straight up bad, just clunky until you get used to the controls, and doesn't play to the game's strengths as a corridor shooter with its large open spaces, so they never added much content to it because it's not popular.

FF14, on the other hand, is on diadem 3.1 already, and they still haven't got the message. It's absolutely wonderful that they decided it drops decent amounts of tomes now, too. With so many people sitting afk in there getting tomes for fates, the numbers on their popularity graph must look real good, so I look forward to seeing even more diadem in 5.x

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

I know, I know netflix on a second monitor. That does sound rad, actually, paying a subscription for content that requires a subscription to netflix to enjoy. :bravo: to the team that made it happen!

I'm also watching netflix while i'm doing roulettes, so please explain the difference to me

(I also don't have a second monitor, i do both on one)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You're either watching boring poo poo you can get away with not really watching, or you're playing very very badly.

Probably both.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

TheShadowAvatar posted:

I am a proponent of letting everyone have their opinion about video games and express it, even if I disagree. But if you lump Cyan's Theme into that 'bland fantasy game BGM remixes' you are very incorrect.

Truga probably means the Omega themes which include, in no particular order:

- Some parts of Dancing Mad that you get sick of listening to after a couple of hours.
- Exdeath's theme which was pretty neat.
- The FF6 boss theme that just sounds like the one they used in the Ultros fight.
- The worst song in the entire game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

You're either watching boring poo poo you can get away with not really watching, or you're playing very very badly.

Probably both.

Yeah but that's beside the point you were making before.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mymla posted:

I've been giggling for like a minute at the idea that Eureka would increase player retention.

The only thing in this game that's retaining me is the fact my house will blow up if I leave.

6.x - In order to increase player retention and loyalty, if you remain unsubscribed from the game for more than 4 months your character will be deleted.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is it at all surprising that people remember the names of Eureka's bosses more than dungeon bosses because they're a common reference point for where to go next?

If XIV did non-linear dungeons then sure, people would remember them a bit better (no they won't, with only three bosses the routing between bosses isn't complicated) but by design few of them are going to stick out. If the boss has a particular character or story significance outside the dungeon you'd probably remember them. In terms of mechanics they can have a few signature mechanics but there's a limit of how hard they can get before they're more difficult than intended.

I'm not too excited about dungeons these days but I loving love lethal lava land. Just the sheer absurdity of jumping down into a sea of lava that's been Red Sea'd and fighting your way out of it is a spectacle I enjoy every time. Rest of the dungeon not so much.

But dungeons let me play BLM in a way that feels like it matters. 24-man raids run into the same issue with any content with too many players where you don't really feel the impact of your contribution except when you're doing mechanics to not wipe the raid, and the nature of those mechanics rarely mean the job you're playing had any impact on it. 8-man raids are fun but as current content they're always just long enough to be a drag. Dungeons are perfect for this with a mix of trash to blow up and bosses that you'll just scoot a little to the left or a little to the right to avoid markers.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The free game time that I got when I bought the game is about to lapse so I need to set up my sub. Is there a goon RAF system anywhere?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HenryEx posted:

Yeah but that's beside the point you were making before.

No, that exactly the point, you're paying for a subscription game to watch netflix. It is very nice of you that you do it in eureka now, so you don't inconvenience other players in anymore by your ARR level dps, at least.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
So what kind of content do you all actually want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Relax Or DIE posted:

So what kind of content do you all actually want?

Frontlines: BATTLE ROYALE