Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatelull posted:

Ever late to the party and currently playing Assassin's Creed: Origins. Finally got around to meeting up with Aya in Alexandria and picked up my arm blade. Currently the thing dragging this game down for me is apparently there's not a way to knife people from below while hanging from a ledge? I was sneaking around and whistled for this guard to come hither as I hung from a balcony. I mashed Y for ever but the dude just saw me and killed my stealth.

Is this a Get Gud thing, or do I have to actually learn that skill?

I feel like I have definitely pulled guys off of ledges to their death. Maybe you had to jump up a level further to hang from the railing of the balcony before you could pull him off, versus hanging off the floor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Vic posted:

I'm really bummed out about roguelites being like this, because I've tried several now (boi, rogue legacy, gungeon, tower of guns, nuclear throne, necrodancer) and I get hosed immediatelly.

It's not that I'm bad at these kinda games, it's that they all require me to put the time in and learn their byzantine poo poo, while I get nothing out of it for the first 5 - 10 hours.

Necrodancer and Nuclear Throne definitely don't lean on byzantine poo poo, they're just genuinely hard (and actually very fair, too).

Practice and experience will make you visibly and consistently better and more successful.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Sep 4, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I only played 5 minutes of Binding of Isaac before forgetting about it and eventually deleting it. Apparently it's got a remake and 5 expansions. Is it really cracked up to be good? Since its brand of dead-baby humour seems really dated.

The game's aesthetic is fine, it's less dead baby humor and more just a game about a baby fighting the legions of hell with that abstraction coloring everything. The actual terrible attempts at humor are mostly in the form of terrible old memes, for every item that's actually an interesting reference to religion or a medical condition you get some poo poo like shooting lasers out of a shoop-da-woop face or bombs with trollfaces on them.

I bounced on the original BoI after five minutes but then last year I got Rebirth and wound up putting over 100 hours into it because it turns out it's a lot easier to be willing to put in the effort to learn the game's many systems when it puts forward basic effort like "being on a functional game engine" and "having actual controller support beyond a passive-aggressive sticky note telling you to Google joy2key".

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

RyokoTK posted:

Necrodancer and Nuclear Throne definitely don't lean on byzantine poo poo, they're just genuinely hard (and actually very fair, too).

Practice and experience will make you visibly and consistently better and more successful.

I should've prefaced my statement about being good at these kinda games with 'I'm not really good at these kind of games'

You're on point because I've spent most of my time on these two. Tower of Guns comes third. Oh and I love Risk of Rain too, but I've burned myself out due to repeating the first stages over and over.

I really like the concept of these but they need to throw me more bones.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Balance beam sections have never been a good addition to games and I don't know why the first God of War decided to have so many. A couple you can tap X to climb back on if you slip but other ones it's a round beam so you slip and die instantly. What's worse is I'm playing on Hard mode so after a few deaths the game is like "you can play on Easy mode poor baba" :whitewater:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Balance beam sections have never been a good addition to games and I don't know why the first God of War decided to have so many. A couple you can tap X to climb back on if you slip but other ones it's a round beam so you slip and die instantly. What's worse is I'm playing on Hard mode so after a few deaths the game is like "you can play on Easy mode poor baba" :whitewater:

Yeah, the only way that they're tolerable is if they're just for flavor and you can't fall off of them.

Still don't get why no one ever just crawls. Seems way easier to keep your balance like that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I only played 5 minutes of Binding of Isaac before forgetting about it and eventually deleting it. Apparently it's got a remake and 5 expansions. Is it really cracked up to be good? Since its brand of dead-baby humour seems really dated.

In short: Game bad lol, just buy Enter the Gungeon instead if you want a game thats similar in pace and gameplay.

in long: There's literally thousands of items that are barely separated by item pools, and i'd say a good half of those items are just items that Ed told Nicalis (Nicalis is already a huge red flag) to put in because he legitimately loves the ideas of useless items existing just to be there. Lets contrast this with another game of its kind, Enter the Gungeon. This game separates its items into different pools - chests that you get a feel for "how good is the item you'll get", wood chests are generally crap (although they can have some real good poo poo like Casey or the Drill), blue chests have alright weapons or upgrades like the hegemony rifle or the cog of battle, green chests have generally favorable items like the Big Boy (a reusable item that calls down a nuke at your cursor), or the bee hive, its a much better way of telling what you could get, and rather than Isaac's way of using a key to open the loving treasure room door, gungeon instead puts a lock on the chest itself, not the loving room containing it.

More on isaac, bosses have an insanely bloated health pool, and on top of that, a DPS cap. Bosses in Gungeon have varying health (and there is some form of a dps cap, but i've literally never noticed it), some bosses like the bullet king (floor 1 boss) or the beholster (floor 2 boss) might take a few minutes to plink down, but you still feel like your weapons are doing damage. One of the Isaac bosses introduced in afterbirth, the Rag Man, has so much health for a floor 1 boss, that if you don't have any damage upgrades for your tears, you might as well restart if he's the boss you're up against, as restarting a run and getting to the boss takes less time than fighting him unupgraded.

Enter the Gungeon's references are basically either based on action movies, puns like "mahoguny", or guns from other games like the BFG or the Serious Sam cannon, while Isaac..uh..remember rage face memes? remember the Angry Faic? thats basically the quality of reference you'll find in isaac. and yes a lot of dead baby jokes. I can go on and on and on about all the bad design decisions in Binding of Isaac and how the game gets more bloated and worse in every general way, or I can just say "Game bad lol"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

EmmyOk posted:

I remember Shenmue II having two balance beam sections on top of each other. So if you failed the QTEs and fell down the second one, you had to do both of them over again. It is at that moment I learned which button combination would bring me back to the menu, so I could quickly load my save game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's also on a fixed camera so you can't even rotate the camera above or behind you so part way through it shoots off to the side :saddowns:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think I've worked out why Illusion of Gaia doesn't feel good like Soul Blazer and Terranigma do (currently at Mu, decided to try it again)-

Soul Blazer has very mazelike level design, but it works well due to the high speed everything goes at - you move fast, everything (you included), dies fast, it's a fast game, and regularly the maze gives you shortcuts or warps to make navigation much easier.

Terranigma is a standard RPG in gameplay so has more standard rooms that can be navigated easily and feel more like real places than levels.

Illusion of Gaia however, keeps the mazelike rooms of it's predecessor, but has no shortcuts or warps, being very linear. Given the system where you need to kill all the enemies in a room to get a stat boost it makes sense, the mazelike properties of the rooms make sure that you not only go to every part of the room you are in looking for stuff, but that enemies are effectively fenced in to small areas, so their AI can't wander off into a corner and make the player have to seek them out. However it makes navigation a total chore because you are much slower, and constantly need to stop sprinting to change direction so the momentum when moving is destroyed.

It's a standard action game about positioning and managing somewhat slow movement of you and the enemy, and it's trying to copy the level design of an arcadey RPG and it just doesn't work. It's like Dark Souls trying to use MGR:R's level design.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So now that Monster Hunter: World has come to the PC, I finally got some hours in. Overall it's pretty great, but there are some weird decisions that kinda feel out of place in a franchise that's this old and mature:

- Small monsters need to gently caress off and stay hosed off. They're fine as a diversion or source of minor materials, but there's no reason for them to aggro on their own. I'd be stopping to loot some bonepile only to find a conga line of small monsters had followed me halfway across the map for a chance at suicide by hunter.

- That move where a large monster roars and you are unavoidably stunned is dumb. In a 1v1 situation it's just a waste of time, but if it's a case of a third monster jumping in, it boils down to unavoidable and possibly severe damage.

- Similarly, more than a few monsters seem to have a move with minimal wind-up that doesn't really count as an attack, but will unavoidably knock you down if you're airborne at that time.

- The mechanic where you may semi-randomly get stunned when gitting hit with a bunch of damage at once. That attack that normally hits for ~70% of your health? Well, it also stunned you and is now effectively a one hit kill because you can't avoid the followup attack.

- Last but certainly not least, this is one of the most obtuse games I've ever played in terms of documentation and tutorialising. Most of the time all you get is a tiny blurb that tells you that a mechanic exists, but nothing about how it actually works and how you can manipulate it. I ended up hitting up the wiki just to find out how my drat weapon works.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Gungeon is also miles away from a perfect roguelite but it definitely executes the Isaac formula with a lot more finesse, especially with the most recent update.

Roguelikes and -lites all have randomness as part of the formula and sometimes poo poo don’t go your way; a mark of a good roguelike is how fun the game is when it deals you a hand of pure garbage, or at least if it tries to normalize the bottom end of the luck spectrum. Necrodancer and Nuclear Throne don’t really have outright bad runs, and part of what makes Slay the Spire fun is figuring out how to build a wincon out of a mound of discordant garbage. In Isaac, if you’re at Depths without any DPS items (which is absolutely not that unlikely now that the item pool is bloated with irrelevant crap), you’re looking at a miserably tedious and unfun trudgery that will likely lose anyway.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

roars can be dealt with by blocking (if you have a weapon type with a block), dodging, or having the earplugs skill in your armor

stun isn't semi-random, it's like a fighting game where if you take multiple hits in a short enough time frame you'll get stunned; there's also a stun resistance skill that'll shorten your stun time and eventually make you totally immune to it once you have 3 ranks of it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Mann posted:

I bounced on the original BoI after five minutes but then last year I got Rebirth and wound up putting over 100 hours into it because it turns out it's a lot easier to be willing to put in the effort to learn the game's many systems when it puts forward basic effort like "being on a functional game engine" and "having actual controller support beyond a passive-aggressive sticky note telling you to Google joy2key".

To be fair it wasn't intended as passive aggressive. Flash literally cant support controllers unless you trick it with joy2key.

You can argue he shouldn't have put it on flash to begin with, and you'd be right though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Perestroika posted:

- That move where a large monster roars and you are unavoidably stunned is dumb. In a 1v1 situation it's just a waste of time, but if it's a case of a third monster jumping in, it boils down to unavoidable and possibly severe damage.

It's not unavoidable.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I can't get past Fort Joy in Divinity: Original Sin 2 because the way you select your party's classes is done in such a way that the player has to already understand what each class does. Like, three of my party members are clearly magical (Conjurer, Battlemage, Wizard), but I chose Shadowblade for my fourth because I thought it sounded like it might also be magically aligned, but now that character is useless because she has to pretty much cut through physical armour single-handedly before she can do much of anything. She's dead weight. I tried getting a mod that adds a respec mirror at the beginning, but the respec mirror doesn't allow you to use presets and I don't know what half of the skills do or what works or what skills the presets use. It's extremely frustrating.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
The thing I dont like about Gungeon is the fact that enemy HP ramps up deeper you go. I dont understand why regular mook enemy has to have twice HP couple of floors down. Its not like game lacks enemy variety.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Herr Bazooka posted:

The thing I dont like about Gungeon is the fact that enemy HP ramps up deeper you go. I dont understand why regular mook enemy has to have twice HP couple of floors down. Its not like game lacks enemy variety.

That is almost certainly the worst design decision in Gungeon and is basically indefensible imo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

But man do the terrible-rear end bosses kill the fun fast.

I gave up on the game after being killed over and over by the final boss. Everything else is 100% a cakewalk but then I get to him and I'm doing fine until he kills me in a single combo. I did manage to beat him once by placing two crossbow traps and hopping around a bunch but that's dumb and sucky.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

I really like the game but people aren't kidding when they say it suffers from a bloat of lovely redundant items that make the game worse. I'll make it to mom's heart with 0 damage boosting items and think "Why am I even doing this." Start-scumming being such a game changer is a sign of lovely roguelite design imo.

I've given Gungeon a few honest tries but I just don't like the way the gameplay feels. Too execution intense where Isaac is simpler I guess. Also I always get boring guns.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Sep 5, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I could write an essay on what's wrong with gungeon but I'd still recommend it in a heartbeat over isaac. Both games are terrible experiences when you get bad luck, but at least gungeon actually has a fun and charming presentation while you're plinking away at a sponge with your terrible starter weapon because ammo never dropped.

The soundtrack is literally the only part of isaac's presentation I enjoyed, except they lost danny B when they made the non-flash version so it doesn't even have that going for it anymore

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Illusion of Gaia is easily my favorite of the quasi trilogy, but it definitely has some bad mechanics. Mu is by far the worst level and it ends with an even worse boss. For me, the story more than makes up for it because of just how strange and melancholy it can be. Definitely felt different from a lot of SNES games at the time.

Most of the other levels are better after Mu.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I just finished Mu. it sucked. a lot.

glad be onto other things but the use of real world locations keep throwing me for a loop.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A couple of days ago I was moaning about Dark Souls 2 being too easy. Someone told me to check out the DLC as it's more of a challenge and they were totally right.

Spent most of the day bashing my head against Elana the Squalid Queen until finally beating her (my hands were shaking and sweaty when she went down), then had an genuinely epic fight against a killer poison dragon. The DLC rules.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vic posted:

I'm really bummed out about roguelites being like this, because I've tried several now (boi, rogue legacy, gungeon, tower of guns, nuclear throne, necrodancer) and I get hosed immediatelly.

It's not that I'm bad at these kinda games, it's that they all require me to put the time in and learn their byzantine poo poo, while I get nothing out of it for the first 5 - 10 hours.

I just don't have the patience or time to do that, and these games would be best described as casual in everything but the difficulty.

Dark Souls games are very rewarding because there's the world and everything you want to explore, so you have a reason to push on. A standard roguelite has some new sprites in level 2 - 1.

humbug!

Most roguelites are just garbage anyway. They copy poo poo from roguelikes and basically almost never understand why roguelikes had those features in them or how they benefitted the games.

Like all permadeath does in most of them is serve to make the game more tedious because there's not really enough variety or complexity to warrant constant replays, so they'll try to add some kind of persistent layer (ie Rogue Legacy or Darkest Dungeon) which inevitably just turns into a massive grind in order to brute force your way through the game.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

EmmyOk posted:

I played through the majority of the game on the hardest setting, and then i fell so many drat times on a balance beam section near the end that I accidentally accepted the dumb "change to easy" prompt and didnt realize it until after I completely annihilated the final boss on the first try and realized the fight seemed way too easy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

Necrodancer and Nuclear Throne are fantastic and worth putting time into. Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy aren't. Gungeon has gotten better with recent patches, some people like it and some don't. I know nothing about Tower of Guns.

But the first two are very much worth the effort.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i thought tower of guns was defintely not good. defintely also recommend nuclear throne and necrodancer.

risk of rain was also very much my jam but it is not without its issues

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Risk of Rain could have been good if it didn't have health sponge enemies and MMO-style cooldown abilities for some reason.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

I think doing too many alien mods just makes turrets turn on you. Normal human abilities like bullet time and expanded inventory should be fine though.

There's a few smaller changes like that, and I think it has an effect on the ending too. But nothing super major. You get plenty of warning about the turret thing. They go from being super friendly to being glitchy and confused, to addressing you as an enemy and opening fire.

Necrothatcher posted:

A couple of days ago I was moaning about Dark Souls 2 being too easy. Someone told me to check out the DLC as it's more of a challenge and they were totally right.

Spent most of the day bashing my head against Elana the Squalid Queen until finally beating her (my hands were shaking and sweaty when she went down), then had an genuinely epic fight against a killer poison dragon. The DLC rules.

I'm honestly not sure which DLC is my favorite overall because they all have really good points, and a few bad points. But I think the first one is probably the most solid experience and my favorite level design of the three. Cool sunken city owns, even if it is another Dark Souls poison hell cave.

Also, RE: roguelite chat; I like 20XX. It's Megaman X but with roguelite elements.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

JebanyPedal posted:

Most roguelites are just garbage anyway. They copy poo poo from roguelikes and basically almost never understand why roguelikes had those features in them or how they benefitted the games.

Like all permadeath does in most of them is serve to make the game more tedious because there's not really enough variety or complexity to warrant constant replays, so they'll try to add some kind of persistent layer (ie Rogue Legacy or Darkest Dungeon) which inevitably just turns into a massive grind in order to brute force your way through the game.

This is true of older roguelites, like Isaac, to be sure. A lot of roguelites of that era very clearly have no respect for the player’s time.

I don’t agree that permadeath is inherently a way to cover for a lack of content or anything like that; most of the big-name games in the genre are essentially redressed arcade games like Robotron, except you can’t put more quarters in. They’re still as addictive and fun, or the good ones are anyway.

Persistent unlocks and meta progression, done right, are a way to sort of compel the player to keep trying win or lose. Done poorly and you get bad games like Rogue Legacy. But there are great and very skillful roguelites coming out these days like Synthetik and Slay the Spire, where permadeath is a compulsion to play well, but the games are geared to ensure the player has the tools they need, rather then just being a trussed up slot machine with 700 lines like Isaac.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lack of content isn't the issue, it's the lack of possibilities. Most roguelites just won't have something like consuming a rotting goblin corpse and dying making GBS threads yourself to death in the corner of a dungeon after having crawled around starving for an hour.

Just play something like Caves of Qud (one of the most insanely detailed and varied games I've ever played) and see how the whole Iron Man permadeath aspect of the game forces you to accept what may come, and in doing so, allows you to live through crazy things and have your character and playthrouth permanently affected by them. The more "simulated world" aspect of traditional roguelikes is a huge boon.

I just don't feel like roguelites really capture that dying in and of itself should be kind of fun in these games. There's a difference between just getting killed because the game is hard and getting killed after scrabbling to deal with one disastrous situation after another in a way that's far more natural than what roguelites offer.

This is just personal taste mostly and they really just aren't my kind of games compared to the games that inspired them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Most of that stuff can’t really pan out in a genre where you’re usually winning in 30-60 minutes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just did the fight with the Vampires in Illusion of Gaia. Preferred it immensely to the first boss, who I died to a bunch of times simply because the game gives you no room to move to dodge the sheer amount of poo poo flying your way. The vampires at least often ended up on the same tile and both taking hits at once. They died fairly quickly.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Just did the fight with the Vampires in Illusion of Gaia. Preferred it immensely to the first boss, who I died to a bunch of times simply because the game gives you no room to move to dodge the sheer amount of poo poo flying your way. The vampires at least often ended up on the same tile and both taking hits at once. They died fairly quickly.

I don't know what kind of bizarro universe you live in. They're generally considered the hardest boss in the game, and a huge bounce point for people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So far the very first boss gave me the most trouble, and initially soured me on the whole game. The only reason I kept going after the second, much less annoying boss, was that the game managed to make me laugh with the airplane scene, which won me over. Everything else was so serious in a way that was getting old. I generally like Melancholy plots, but in this games case the gameplay being kind of annoying compared to the other games was dragging my mood down as well.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Kruller posted:

It used to be a shitload of hunger replenishment as well as a tremendous power source. Considering how many you can harvest and how fast it grows, it was pretty unbalanced.
It wasn't unbalanced at all, especially given how much space the fruit took up compared to, say, edible fish and the fact that they spoiled almost immediately after being gathered. They were really good for refilling your food and water upon returning to base, and that's about it.

So of course they nerfed them to the point that they're actively worse food/water-wise than just grabbing a random fish out of the ocean and cramming it in your mouth, and if you eat more than a couple at once it hurts you. And then left the other plants alone, because having to sacrifice a couple of them by knifing them for seeds to replant was acceptably tedious to justify it, I guess..

U.T. Raptor has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Sep 5, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You dont even have to do THAT much for potatoes, you can just replant a potato outright and come back to six or so potatoes later

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hell yeah, Bioenchanted, I also found the vampires to be insanely easy. easiest part of Mu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

JebanyPedal posted:

Just play something like Caves of Qud (one of the most insanely detailed and varied games I've ever played) and see how the whole Iron Man permadeath aspect of the game forces you to accept what may come, and in doing so, allows you to live through crazy things and have your character and playthrouth permanently affected by them. The more "simulated world" aspect of traditional roguelikes is a huge boon.

Caves of Qud has three problems that I was actually going to post about in this thread today because I've been on a massive binge:

1) Glowpads have far too much health, what the gently caress you stupid plant die already
2) The early game is really rough, even starting in Joppa - it's definitely easy to wander into a snapjaw pack or chitinous puma or some random legendary
3) It is too good. Like, drat, it has both reignited my love of roguelikes but also basically ruined the majority of the genre for me. If anyone has any recommendations for roguelikes even half as deep, let me know.

e: 4) sometimes the UI overlay accepts + and - to scroll and sometimes you need to click and drag the mouse, depending on the window