Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

it's wrong.

IMDB agrees though. And so does the Graham McVeigh listing on the number 3 rated Columbo murderer webring. Also when I kidnapped John Ratzenberger and made him answer a series of sinister riddles to escape my death maze, he said the same thing. (The death maze was for something unrelated, but I figured, you know, while he was around for questioning...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

thats the same age char was when he died....

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also jesus

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
People forget Amuro was actually a toddler in episode 1 of MSG.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shinjobi posted:

Origin is about his conception.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It's a little known fact that General Revil was only eight in his first appearance, and was six at the battle of A Baoa Qu.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yinlock posted:

tbf the riders are still gundams for the most part, they just have silly hats instead of v fins

That makes me wonder: what would a unit (or units) have to do to sufficiently differentiate so that it could be seen as a new line of suits? Is it just the fact the Red and White Riders have a "face"? Cause the Black Rider has a VR helmet and the Pale Rider has a visor; so it's not like that particular feature is consistent across the line, at the very least.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I kind of wish they would ignore F91, despite my kind of liking it in spite of its flaws. I don't care about it and crossbone staying canon, just go in whatever direction with the UC.

It's not like Sunrise pays it much mind as is, because beyond it existing as a "this is in the future of UC" they basically are ignoring it while continuing to work in and around early UC. They're going to build up to F91 eventually, but it wouldn't matter if nothing existed in the future of UC beyond Hathaway's Gundam at the moment; they'd still have made much the same work; there'd just be an open question on whether psycoframe shenanigans in Unicorn works led to anything or not. Crossbone Gundam isn't canon; not until it's animated at least. Which will possibly happen given Sunrise's current trajectory of animating side stories, but it's really only the one novel at the moment (Unicorn was made first as a novel specifically to pave the way for an animated series according to Fukui).

Midjack posted:

I feel like G-Savior is worth watching solely to see the voice actors in person.

I feel like it's worth watching just because it's a 2 hour long film. It's mostly kind of boring in and of itself, but it's an interesting tangent for the brand that I imagine it's worth the short runtime to see for anyone going through all of UC and/or Gundam.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a little known fact that General Revil was only eight in his first appearance, and was six at the battle of A Baoa Qu.

Revil (or anyone, really) starting out as one of the old fogies in Victory before Benjamin Button'ing his way through UC would be pretty neat; not gonna lie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gundam is entirely arbitrary depending on setting.

UC: Usually has a face.
AD: Celestial Being robots except when they're not.
CE: Uses a GUNDAM OS.
IBO: Had multiple Ahab Reactors.
Wing: Made from Gundanium
G: Participates in Gundam Fights
X: See UC.
Turn-A: Someone calls it a Gundam
G-Reco: G is for Gundam
You Parents: All robots are Gundam

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I meant UC specifically if that helps, since I'm just wondering if the Federation in UC could ever develop another line of high value suits that could be viewed separately from Gundams. The GM presents a similar issue, since even Jegans seem like a GM descendant despite not really being GMs in any meaningful way. The Hardygun and other Victory era units are far enough removed chronologically that I don't think anyone views them as GMs, but non-GM limited or mass production suits in early UC in use by the Federation often feel like GMs in practice; even if not name.

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I thought the signifier originally was that they used True GN Drives. Obviously that still doesn't hold since you get the Trinities showing up in Gundams with Tau drives, but them not really being Gundams kind of fits the theme of them being fakes in the first place. Other units with Tau drives use the name Gundam regardless, and eventually you get Setsuna using a variant of the 00 with no GN drive at all due to the shortage of them, but I always figured it was originally supposed to be predicated on the drives and then it just became the mark of Celestial Being's premier units (not you, GN Archer <:mad:>).

ImpAtom posted:

I doubt this is true, since like 00 after it, there are multiple units used later in the show that have the Gundam signifier in that case but aren't Gundams. The Mercuruis and Vayeate are high value prototypes built from Gundanium, while the Virgo and Virgo II grunt line are built from it too. There might be others I'm forgetting too.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, there are some units like the Devil Gundam, Rising Gundam they weren't meant to participate in the Gundam Fight; so I'd imagine it's more like UC, where it's about having the visual aesthetic rather of a Gundam.

ImpAtom posted:

Your Parents: All robots are Transformers

Fixed.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 5, 2022

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

tsob posted:

Really? I thought the signifier originally was that they used True GN Drives. Obviously that still doesn't hold since you get the Trinities showing up in Gundams with Tau drives, but them not really being Gundams kind of fits the theme of them being fakes in the first place. Other units with Tau drives use the name Gundam regardless, and eventually you get Setsuna using a variant of the 00 with no GN drive at all due to the shortage of them, but I always figured it was originally supposed to be predicated on the drives and then it just became the mark of Celestial Being's premier units (not you, GN Archer <:mad:>).
Reasoning backwards from which units get called "Gundams" and which don't, it seems to me that the key distinction for Celestial Being is whether or not a unit was initially designed to run with a true GN drive, with some leeway for direct successor units. Thus the 0 and 00 Gundams retain their designation even when their drives are replaced with particle reservoirs, and the Raphael is designated as a Gundam because it's a direct successor to the Virtue/Seravee line. Under this scheme the Thrones and Arche would be counted as false Gundams, as you suggest.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Like all names, it's all pretty arbitrary and just comes down to whether the designers (both inside and outside the show's universe) wanted to call it a Gundam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yo ho ho he took a bite of Gundam

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Like all names, it's all pretty arbitrary and just comes down to whether the designers (both inside and outside the show's universe) wanted to call it a Gundam.

It's a pretty hard and fast rule in the PD timeline.

72 machines are Gundams.

Everything else is not a Gundam.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Started my rewatch of 08th MS Team. How the gently caress is Terry Sanders supposed to be 29? Dude is only six years older than Shiro but looks like he’s supposed to be 40.
I think some of this phenomenon is because a lot more people smoked and drank heavily back in the day, and they also didn't have sunscreen or anything, so they aged harder. So if you're building your design language based on Western action films in the 1980s and 1990s... people are going to look like hard riding leather.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Yo ho ho he took a bite of Gundam

You mean took a bite of Human-Human Fruit Model: Gundam.

And then Setsuna was a Gundam Man

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CE gundams always annoyed me because why in the hell do the zaft grunt suits and the gundams they make look completely different? It's weird how all three factions gave their super powered suits similar design aesthetics like v-fins and whatnot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

CE gundams always annoyed me because why in the hell do the zaft grunt suits and the gundams they make look completely different? It's weird how all three factions gave their super powered suits similar design aesthetics like v-fins and whatnot.

The Freedom/Justice were intentionally designed to look like the Federation stolen suits as a 'we took your poo poo and made it better' gently caress you.

The Astrays have it because the original Gundams were a co product of the Federation and Orb so Orb just stole their poo poo.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 5, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

UC: Usually has a face.
CE: Uses a GUNDAM OS.
IBO: Had multiple Ahab Reactors.
X: See UC.
Turn-A: Someone calls it a Gundam
G-Reco: G is for Gundam
You Parents: All robots are Gundam

Worth mentioning that outside of the OS, Gundam as a name doesn't exist in CE, it's just the Strike and Freedom not Strike Gundam and Freedom Gundam for example, they only get appended with the Gundam name for real world merchandising reasons

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Worth mentioning that outside of the OS, Gundam as a name doesn't exist in CE, it's just the Strike and Freedom not Strike Gundam and Freedom Gundam for example, they only get appended with the Gundam name for real world merchandising reasons

Kira calls them Gundams and I think Lowe does too but both do that based on the OS, yeah

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what is the coolest a GM has ever been in a single scene across the franchise?

there's lots of cool zaku moments but i'm not certain i've ever seen a GM do much more than die

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does jegan count

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

there's lots of cool zaku moments but i'm not certain i've ever seen a GM do much more than die

Probably the Blue Destiny 1 or if you demand animated the GM Sniper K9 from Build Fighters

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Do you count variants? Just want to have the ground rules clear before I make a pick.

For a preliminary example, the Origin manga has the GM's debut with them just carving through the Zakus invading Jaburo. They actually got to be pretty badass for a bit.

For variants, the Kampfer Amazing versus GM Sniper K9 fight is one of the best in the franchise. The GM loses, but it makes it a hell of a fight first.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

probaly the uc 0081 ova

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also it depends on if you are counting NotGMs. Like Graham makes Flags look fuckin' awesome.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the tallgeese is the king of gms

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Psycho GM, obviously.

I guess the RX-79[G]-S from Thunderbolt is technically a GM wearing a Gundam head, and it has the Beam Lollipop.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but it doesnt do anything cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The gms from EP 1 of 0080 are the coolest obviously

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Shidens are the closest things to Not-GMs in the Post Disaster setting, and Tekkadan's pilots get fairly reliable performance out of them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the graze counts as a not gm more than the shinden. Despite the color scheme leaning Zaku. Zaku style is more refine and change the machine. Gm is more tack on more poo poo and call it a new unit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stairmaster posted:

but it doesnt do anything cool

It manages to stab a Gouf through the shield's eye hole and then slice it in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25XMr_Bxgk

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

the tallgeese is the king of gms

That's the Ideon.

The Tallgeese is no more a GM than the Gundam is. Arguably less, since the Leo is more of a Zaku.

Another entry for the list, though, is Io's fight at the end of Bandit Flower. MP model, not even a Gundam head, but Io makes it dance.

Of course, for non animated there's also the White Dingo unit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the graze counts as a not gm more than the shinden. Despite the color scheme leaning Zaku. Zaku style is more refine and change the machine. Gm is more tack on more poo poo and call it a new unit.

Naah. Zakus are pretty modular (you've got the Zaku Cannon, the Zaku Sniper, et cetera), and Grazes use pretty much the same serial number system as Zakus (in addition to giving their faction a decisive advantage as the first mass-produced modern mobile suits in the setting). The Shiden is very much a next-gen mass-produced general-purpose suit closely inspired by a Gundam (despite being significantly inferior) that provides revolutionary performance against the previously-dominant machines of the setting.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Being super strict Blue Destiny is probably the best GM produced. It would have been legit up through the start of Zeta, almost, I suspect given its newtype ghost powers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

a zaku is the original gm

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Do you count variants? Just want to have the ground rules clear before I make a pick.

variants count as long as the name contains GM. alt universes don't count unless it is also called a GM. for my interest i am specifically looking for animated examples

sniper GM in build fighters is a great example i had forgotten about

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Stark Jegan vs Kshatrya at the start of Unicorn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stark jegan could have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Should have. Author had his hand on the scales