Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acu
Oct 13, 2014
I don't know why FF14 couldn't have just made it so the skills animations/effects line up with the cast bar finishing. Instead you end up with really lovely things like Exdeath using Thunder, you run away from him, you're significantly out of range of where it looks like the skill is hitting and still get hit. All because Exdeath decides to have a smoke break between the cast bar finishing and the skill actually showing it's going off. It just looks really stupid, even if it is your fault for not moving out far enough in time before the cast bar finishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Chucat posted:

Does everyone just go into loving ultra siege mentality when this game gets called out in any sort of way and they turn into a wholly unpleasant person or something?

ntan1 posted:

Don't feel bad! Remember that all people in the world have some latent psychological baggage!

It would appear so.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

acu posted:

I don't know why FF14 couldn't have just made it so the skills animations/effects line up with the cast bar finishing. Instead you end up with really lovely things like Exdeath using Thunder, you run away from him, you're significantly out of range of where it looks like the skill is hitting and still get hit. All because Exdeath decides to have a smoke break between the cast bar finishing and the skill actually showing it's going off. It just looks really stupid, even if it is your fault for not moving out far enough in time before the cast bar finishes.

Uh sorry you're actually a...*begins casting unfurl comically large scroll* Idiot noob who is bad at the game and has extreme levels of brain damage...*comically large scroll unfurls* ...also you smell bad , you know nothing about videogames, and primordial life looks at your tiny brain and manages to feel pity.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i cant believe the posting quality is so good now that belzac and fister are gone

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also if you're risk-averse good chat spam filters are kinda hard to program, without resorting to some pretty hefty and expensive (in real-time) neural net/deep-learning type solutions

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

HenryEx posted:

If you want more examples on the bad idea of trusting the client's data, leveling your crafters to max level wasn't the only thing this exploit could do.

I said that you wouldn't get the item resulting from a packet-manipulated craft, but that's not quite true. (...)

Don't trust your client on anything, if you can help it. If you say he gets hit, he gets hit, not the other way around.

Oh lord this packet thing reminds me of something else they had to deal with that. Once upon a time a bunch of people spent all of their money on grossly overpriced potions, monster bits, low level gather stuff etc (IE 1 million gil for normal potions.)
Why? Because they weren't the ones actually buying them. Some bots/people had figured out a way to 'spoof' the buyer's side of the marketboard and effectively steal people's gil by sending packets to the server that effectively said 'hey, I JoeSchmoe Potahtoe am buying this potion listed for 1 million gil by retainer IminYourWalletz.'

They squashed and banned people for that right quick.

orcane posted:

I want to say welcome to SA/Discussion/Games, but this game is special, yes.

People roasted me for not taking Goad on SAM to use on the tank despite the logical arguments of: Usually being the only melee & TP based DPS in the dungeon, always running out of TP first even after using Invigorate when AoEing, and the statement of 'when I did goad the tanks, they would keep pulling while I still had no TP and stuff would take longer to kill than if I didn't and force them to wait a few seconds for our TP to regen.'

Everyone has hills they are willing to die on and everyone else has pikes willing to poke people on those hills :shrug:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that is a bad hill, but sometimes it's not about me, you know?

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

acu posted:

it would have been cool if ffxiv could have just solved netcode forever, yeah

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

acu posted:

I don't know why FF14 couldn't have just made it so the skills animations/effects line up with the cast bar finishing.

Animation tweening conflicting with latency, basically. To make the animation/effects fluid enough for them to come out at the same time as the cast bar finishing, you'd need the transition animation to line up with the end of the casting period reasonably well. This works for certain animations without much of a transition (like the Thaumaturge casting animations for NPCs), but if you want to make an animation of, say, a monster leaping into the air and crashing down, it's difficult, if not impossible, to line up the two well due to latency. Having them tied to the telegraph markers/cast bars provides consistency in gameplay, if not necessarily in aesthetics, and I'll take the former over the latter every time.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

acu posted:

you do realize, again, this would change nothing, right? pretend the animations don't even exist (they generally don't, as far as hit detection works). whether or not the animation goes off when the cast bar says it should has nothing to do with the game thinking you were or were not hit by something. like, everyone for some reason is caught up by their character getting hit by animations and whatever and it means literally nothing. if you're doing exdeath you should not be confused as to how poo poo you learn in ifrit normal works. it's, at worst, visually incongruous. it's a huge non-issue unless you're fundamentally bothered by watching visual effects happen to your bikini catgirl that aren't doing damage.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I am able to suspend my disbelief for being barely outside of an aoe and getting hit by it because I get told "It depends on the cast bar so you want to get out a bit earlier". I am not able to suspend my disbelief when spells seem to go off multiple seconds after the cast bar fills up, I could be on another continent to the aoe and still get hit because of "the cast bar". I'm not mad because I can't dodge it or I get hit or whatever the hell, I just don't like how it is looks because the end result just looks really, really stupid.

Also like I said before, the fact this became some two page ultra bad faith argument is just mindboggling.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 26, 2018

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Reiterpallasch posted:

that is a bad hill, but sometimes it's not about me, you know?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
BTW:

One of the most fun games to play when you're bored and doing Ultimate Bahamut is the Chariot game.

During Nael, call out people who are dead to Chariot before they die on voice chat. Eventually, you get good enough that you can call your own death too!

acu
Oct 13, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you do realize, again, this would change nothing, right? pretend the animations don't even exist (they generally don't, as far as hit detection works). whether or not the animation goes off when the cast bar says it should has nothing to do with the game thinking you were or were not hit by something. like, everyone for some reason is caught up by their character getting hit by animations and whatever and it means literally nothing. if you're doing exdeath you should not be confused as to how poo poo you learn in ifrit normal works. it's, at worst, visually incongruous. it's a huge non-issue unless you're fundamentally bothered by watching visual effects happen to your bikini catgirl that aren't doing damage.

quote:

It just looks really stupid, even if it is your fault for not moving out far enough in time before the cast bar finishes.

All I said was it just looks stupid with specific skills like Exdeath's thunder that are quite delayed between the cast bar finishing and the sparkly effects happening. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Chucat posted:

I'm not mad because I can't dodge it or I get hit or whatever the hell, I just don't like how it is looks because the end result just looks really, really stupid.

Another reason to dislike Eureka: because of all the people and particle effects and whatnot going on, NM's can do attacks that kill you and you die and a good 10-12 seconds later the AoE marker and attack goes out on your screen.
I hated the scorpion's multi-temblor up until it stopped killing me instantly because it was a crapshoot I'd be able to dodge it at all.

Also most of the NM's slide and skid about the place and it's like I was back in Everquest all over again.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 26, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

acu posted:

All I said was it just looks stupid with specific skills like Exdeath's thunder that are quite delayed between the cast bar finishing and the sparkly effects happening. :v:

Sure. No debate here. You either sacrifice overall aesthetic presentation (the length/gesture of animations/effects) or you sacrifice exactness of timing. I'm more fine with the latter than the former, because the game's aesthetic presentation is one of its major draws for me, and the telegraph/cast bar system is consistent enough gameplay-wise for me to not be tripped up by delayed animations/effects.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Reiterpallasch posted:

also if you're risk-averse good chat spam filters are kinda hard to program, without resorting to some pretty hefty and expensive (in real-time) neural net/deep-learning type solutions

a good chat spam filter doesn't need any programming at all - just give the players the ability to set custom string filters and anyone with half a brain will be able to block the vast majority of gil spam without affecting any actual chat messages.

Guildwork allowed regular expression filters, I don't understand that poo poo so I just used a bunch of simple strings that would never appear in a legitimate message (spam site names, partial spam site names, 10000KGIL, chéapést, on,my, .C0M, 6/mil, etc). those got rid of nearly all of the spam, and the ones that did get through always had some unique substring that I could add to get another spam-free month or two.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
well, to begin with, allowing players to execute arbitrary regular expressions on the server allows players to crash the server, at will, at any time, which seems like a bad idea to me

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like yeah you could implement workarounds for that sort of thing, but this is a perfect example of a simple "why don't they just do this" kind of solution non-programmers propose that turns out to be a nightmare in real life, which is the basic equivalent of letting me design a fighter jet because i've played a lot of flight simes

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also regular expressions are confusing and horrible and people will absolutely shoot themselves in the foot constantly and filter out useful things

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
wait why dont you design fighter jets you already know enough about them that you'd probably succeed at lockheed or whomever the AF contracts to these days.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Reiterpallasch posted:

well, to begin with, allowing players to execute arbitrary regular expressions on the server allows players to crash the server, at will, at any time, which seems like a bad idea to me
why would that need to be on the server? Guildwork was entirely client-side, and the worst thing you could do was make a broken regex that blocks everything

I did that when I was trying to be fancy with wildcards, but it didn't take long to notice that I wasn't seeing any chat at all so I just deleted that filter and replaced it with a bunch of non-regex strings. the spammers used the same messages for months at a time and always included their website, weird broken english, or some unicode poo poo that actual players would only ever use for ascii art.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

keep regexs as far away from my catgirl simulator as possible this shouldn’t even have to be said

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Please do not use Third Party Tools, they are in clear violation of the EULA.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Please don't subject normal people to regex

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
are you supposed to preempt Phlegethon's bongo AoE, or have I finally run into a mechanic that's unreactable at high latency

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pupuru posted:

are you supposed to preempt Phlegethon's bongo AoE, or have I finally run into a mechanic that's unreactable at high latency

Ancient Flare is cast according to his health bar. Usually when you see the Iron Claws spawn (well, the second set of them after the first AF) you should think about retreating to the pads or at least being ready for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ancient Flare? He always uses that at set HP values. If you're melee, start running in advance when he gets near 50% and 25% HP.

Griz
May 21, 2001

with current gearing, ancient flare is usually like 20 seconds after the claw spawn but even if you're standing in the center of the arena there's enough time to reach the pad if you start moving as soon as you see the castbar.

it's a lot more obvious if the tank keeps him slightly off-center, then you just run to pads as soon as he starts moving to the middle.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am new to NIN, am I correct in assuming I can't Trick Attack bosses? As soon as the tank engages I get knocked out of hiding.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Leofish posted:

I am new to NIN, am I correct in assuming I can't Trick Attack bosses? As soon as the tank engages I get knocked out of hiding.

You have to use the mudra Suiton to use Trick during combat. You unlock it at level 45 iirc.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

WrightOfWay posted:

You have to use the mudra Suiton to use Trick during combat. You unlock it at level 45 iirc.

Ah, okay. I just hit 40 so that would explain it. I was wondering if I'd get a kind of "hide in plain sight" move at some point, but when I looked over the job guide it wasn't immediately obvious. Suiton just says "Grants Suiton" and I didn't know what that meant.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They're going to actually go out of their way to not explain mudras to you.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Leofish posted:

I am new to NIN, am I correct in assuming I can't Trick Attack bosses?

Only when they spin in the half second delay between pressing trick attack and the debuff applying which causes the whole thing to miss. You either blame yourself or god, and that is very on brand.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

WrightOfWay posted:

I've levelled NIN to 70 and this is the first time I'm hearing about this. They really need to update the tooltip for trick attack so it says "Can only be executed while under the effect of Hide or Suiton." otherwise the ability seems useless.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
True North + Trick Attack works, right?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

pupuru posted:

I think it's actually really tight for melee. Really fun with DRG but RIP Sam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It does.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes, but you can't rely on it because True North has a hell of a cooldown. One that you become painfully aware of in fights where the boss likes to slightly twitch or turn arbitrarily for some mechanics.

TheHeadSage posted:

I've levelled NIN to 70 and this is the first time I'm hearing about this. They really need to update the tooltip for trick attack so it says "Can only be executed while under the effect of Hide or Suiton." otherwise the ability seems useless.

Did you never cast Suiton and read what the buff says?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

There are a decent amount of ninjas that don't use huton so this doesn't surprise me