Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

priznat posted:

Yeah almost all of those have options to remove the plug adapter and go hard wired, it’s super easy (I have a ChargePoint that comes with the plug which I removed to hardwire)

They have lever connectors it’s easier than connecting up speakers in the olden days (albeit more potentially dangerous if you forget to turn off the breaker don’t do that)

Great stuff, reading through the reviews on the Costco ones, lots of failures being reported. The Chargepoint with a specific hardwired option on Amazon is currently drawing my eye, but still looking. Thanks all for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TraderStav posted:

Great stuff, reading through the reviews on the Costco ones, lots of failures being reported. The Chargepoint with a specific hardwired option on Amazon is currently drawing my eye, but still looking. Thanks all for the input.

I will say the wifi on my ChargePoint crapped out but got it swapped on the 3 year warranty after a maybe 40 minute phone call of troubleshooting. Swapped it over easily took all of 15 minutes and boom, wifi back again. It wasn’t a necessary thing to charge but my utility is bringing in peak time opt-in so I will want to set when to turn on the charger (my car doesn’t have the smarts it just takes the charge).

E: took a pic of the guts to keep the wires straight on replugging

priznat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 24, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

priznat posted:

I will say the wifi on my ChargePoint crapped out but got it swapped on the 3 year warranty after a maybe 40 minute phone call of troubleshooting. Swapped it over easily took all of 15 minutes and boom, wifi back again. It wasn’t a necessary thing to charge but my utility is bringing in peak time opt-in so I will want to set when to turn on the charger (my car doesn’t have the smarts it just takes the charge).

Looks super straight forward of an install.

My volt has charging schedules built into that. Do other EVs not so it's necessary to incorporate into the charger? Or just centralizing that control in a single spot?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I can never remember how fast my EVSE is and have to look it up, it's 40A.

It was a totally gently caress it, whatever, put the max in I can that is outdoor plug rated that I can use an extension cord for, but it is such insane overkill.

I did fine on 120v for 5 years, unless you have some extremely specific use-case you are probably fine on L2 whatever, it's seriously at a point, I did it because I could, what is an extra $200 to future proof this?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I learned a bunch of electrical stuff in school and when growing up did some janky repairs as a teen without anyone knowing, one which I shocked myself to a 230v line. And basic electrical stuff like plugs or connections is easy.

edit: but if you never worked with electricity and you're not sure if your breaker is actually off don't!

Celexi fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 24, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Looks super straight forward of an install.

My volt has charging schedules built into that. Do other EVs not so it's necessary to incorporate into the charger? Or just centralizing that control in a single spot?

Yah I think it is both. My PHEV doesn’t have any on car control just plug in and it goes. Nice thing with ChargePoint and probably other smart ones is it will also get your electricity rates and tell you how much it is costing, amount you charged, distance estimate based on your car.. it’s pretty neat although most isn’t that required.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Wayne Knight posted:

I have the juicebox, and it works fine. A lot of people have issues with its connectivity, but I solve that problem by never using the app, ever.

Transport Evolved did a lengthy video of the issue. It is quite sad when such a seemingly great product worsens so much. It would be a waste to only use such a limited amount of the capability, and I would be hesitant to support a manufacturer with such stupid ideas.

Don't Buy These Charging Stations! (Or How One Cool Product Became a Nightmare To Use!)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

priznat posted:

I really love the physical design of the chargepoint. The way the cable clips in on a swivel, the lights, great cable, its just really nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I really love the physical design of the chargepoint. The way the cable clips in on a swivel, the lights, great cable, its just really nice.

Yeah the swivel is nice and metal, feels very solid. Very happy with mine after that one hiccup with wifi dying, good warranty too!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

TraderStav posted:

Grizzle-E is another good one to look at, really simple, solid unit if you don't want fancy connectivity stuff, it can be set for 40A (as can pretty much any EVSE).

Installing a plug should be no harder/more expensive than installing a new hardwire unit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

What is going on with that piece of red insulation sticking out the ground wire connection on the house side?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

priznat posted:

Yeah almost all of those have options to remove the plug adapter and go hard wired, it’s super easy (I have a ChargePoint that comes with the plug which I removed to hardwire)

They have lever connectors it’s easier than connecting up speakers in the olden days (albeit more potentially dangerous if you forget to turn off the breaker don’t do that)

I think most EVSEs sold now have options to hardwire, because since the April 2020 update, electrical code requires that any fixed EVSE be hardwired. ("Fixed" meaning that it requires a tool, even if its just a screwdriver, to remove.) You can only use a socket if the EVSE is "fastened-in-place" (can be removed without a tool) or "portable" (designed to be taken from charging location to charging location).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Elviscat posted:

What is going on with that piece of red insulation sticking out the ground wire connection on the house side?

That's a crimped on wire end so plugging into the lever terminal is nice and easy. I had gotten an electrician to install it because it was required for the rebate from the power company, and to get the permit sorted and be the expert in that etc

biznatchio posted:

I think most EVSEs sold now have options to hardwire, because since the April 2020 update, electrical code requires that any fixed EVSE be hardwired. ("Fixed" meaning that it requires a tool, even if its just a screwdriver, to remove.) You can only use a socket if the EVSE is "fastened-in-place" (can be removed without a tool) or "portable" (designed to be taken from charging location to charging location).

Interesting, the Chargepoint can be hung on a couple screws but requires a lower one to stabilize it so I wonder if they're reworking the design to allow the plug. I had always just planned on hardwiring, in my garage the 200A panel is right there.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Nitrox posted:

What a nice car, congrats. How's the cargo space? Can the third row disappear into the floor?

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

With the third row up, the trunk is a bit small. Still enough for everyday use like groceries.

With the third row down, there's large amount of cargo space.

With the third and second rows down, there's a colossal amount of cargo space (my skis fit easily).

It also has a roof rack and I have a cargo box. This will hurt my mileage of course, but with the roof box this thing has just a silly amount of cargo space. My wife and I anticipate being able to drive ourselves, our kid, our dog, and all the stuff all three of us need for skiing, to Lake Tahoe in one vehicle. Oh, and with all that in the vehicle we still think we'll have room for one passenger -- we anticipate fitting all of that in the vehicle with the third row folded down and the cargo box on top.

That specific trip (which we do regularly) is why we wanted a large car.

The third row does not fold into the floor.

Trip report: Drove my 70lb large breed dog to doggie daycare in the EV9 today. He fit comfortably in the trunk with the third row up. There was enough room for him to sit, stand, lay down, and turn around. It wasn't overly spacious, I'd say it was similar to the amount of space he'd have in a kennel (with a higher ceiling).

The real trick was watching that big fella jump all the way into the car! The best boy <3

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Trip report: Drove my 70lb large breed dog to doggie daycare in the EV9 today. He fit comfortably in the trunk with the third row up. There was enough room for him to sit, stand, lay down, and turn around. It wasn't overly spacious, I'd say it was similar to the amount of space he'd have in a kennel (with a higher ceiling).

The real trick was watching that big fella jump all the way into the car! The best boy <3

All these words and no pictures of the pupper?

For shame.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Charger failed

For an inexpensive, durable, no-frills EVSE, my GRIZZL-E has been completely reliable with no issues for 3+ years. They're rated for pretty extreme conditions too, in case the cold contributed to the failure you experienced.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Walrusmaster posted:

For an inexpensive, durable, no-frills EVSE, my GRIZZL-E has been completely reliable with no issues for 3+ years. They're rated for pretty extreme conditions too, in case the cold contributed to the failure you experienced.

I have the GRIZZL-E Smart 2.0 (July 2023 manufacture), and seconding as a good EVSE. Ours is outside in the elements and has been working well during the winter.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Walrusmaster posted:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have the GRIZZL-E Smart 2.0 (July 2023 manufacture), and seconding as a good EVSE. Ours is outside in the elements and has been working well during the winter.

I just ordered this one as well, will make the final decision and return the other. It's very attractive to me to not have charging function at all compromised due to app/connectivity issues. Perhaps not a problem with the Chargepoint, but definitely some others.

Not sure if the Chargepoint has $200 of premium over the other one for my use case. Really appreciate the suggestions!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ive had a Grizzl-e for 2 years, no complaints.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I know it's kind of dunking on the poors but was driving my BMW i4 yesterday and some guy with a Jetta hatchback with custom rims, racing logos and god awful loud exhaust mod was riding up on everyone's bumper and doing whatever it is that makes the exhaust noise pop when the gears shift needlessly. Eventually we all got onto a freeway and an opening was there while this guy was riding up on someone in the right lane and I just blasted by with that silent electric torque and left him in the dust. Could see him scrambling to get up to me but I was already from 40-80mph in like 2 seconds and he never caught up before my exit. Feels good man.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You were justifiably distracted at the time and didn’t notice, but there was a vagrant nearby giving you a thumbs up

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tiny Timbs posted:

You were justifiably distracted at the time and didn’t notice, but there was a vagrant nearby giving you a thumbs up

Only the vagrant could stand up to clap, everyone else was in their car

That said yeah one of the real joys of the rav4 prime is out-accellerating someone's sportsmobile in a toyota dad car

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if they'll ever release the Grizzl-e Smart add-on board for older units. There is a spot on mine to put it on. I'm guessing they tried to future proof but had to change the spec anyway.

Also my experience with their warranty was basically if it was delivered to you working, it's not defective, effectively making the warranty coverage term irrelevant once it's installed and working.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Is there any thread fave third party 240v/level 2 SAE J1772 EVSE? There are a few on amazon for pretty cheap. are these a bad idea?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Check your power company rebates. I had a choice between four companies and picked ChargePoint because they had a simple design and what seems like reliable app integration.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I know it's kind of dunking on the poors but was driving my BMW i4 yesterday and some guy with a Jetta hatchback with custom rims, racing logos and god awful loud exhaust mod was riding up on everyone's bumper and doing whatever it is that makes the exhaust noise pop when the gears shift needlessly. Eventually we all got onto a freeway and an opening was there while this guy was riding up on someone in the right lane and I just blasted by with that silent electric torque and left him in the dust. Could see him scrambling to get up to me but I was already from 40-80mph in like 2 seconds and he never caught up before my exit. Feels good man.

I borrowed my dad’s Model 3 for a few days recently and I was shocked by how many pickup truck dudes just insisted on trying to race me on the highway

Like I’ll occasionally get weird attention from Chevy guys and boy racers in the FiST but this was noticeably on another level

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Were they trying to race you, or were they trying to get away from the shitbox muskmobile?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Speleothing posted:

Were they trying to race you, or were they trying to get away from the shitbox muskmobile?

legitimately a good question

(god I wish there was a car that could get him to trade that thing in)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Speleothing posted:

lol

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any significant difference between 2023 and 2024 Ioniq 5’s?
Dealerships here are offering massive rebates on the 2023, Limited trim levels basically the same as the base model 2024’s. Seems like a great deal but didn’t know if there’s much different. I couldn’t find many updates on my Google search.
Seems like a great car and exactly what I’m looking for (other than the Hyundai dealership experience I guess).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lmao

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Picked up my ID.4 Pro S Plus (horrible name), Baby Blue with two tone cream/navy interior and it is really really nice.

The seat massagers were a very nice surprise.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Picked up my ID.4 Pro S Plus (horrible name), Baby Blue with two tone cream/navy interior and it is really really nice.

The seat massagers were a very nice surprise.

Countdown starts.. now! (For pics)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Will post more when I get them, was late after I finally got out of there. Just love all the little accents and touches. When you unlock the car it shines a bit ID4 logo with a circle around on it on the pavement that looks like it's etched. The full dash green light to show it's charging. Just classy.

Interior shot doesn't do it justice. the contrasts of the two tone are very striking. Will try to get better ones (or look online for the Cosmic color option)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Stock images, not mine.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Nice get! We basically had two options for our lease because of the deal the dealership was running: black with gray interior, or white with the two tone interior

We opted for the former because we were worried that the lighter interior would get dingy (we have an 8 year old)

I really like the look of the tourmaline blue body but they only had one on the lot so it was of course way more expensive

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's very pretty

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I do like the grille and rear lights on the id4s, very swank.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Lighted grilles and projected logos nooooo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Dr.Donkeypunch posted:

Is there any significant difference between 2023 and 2024 Ioniq 5’s?
Dealerships here are offering massive rebates on the 2023, Limited trim levels basically the same as the base model 2024’s. Seems like a great deal but didn’t know if there’s much different. I couldn’t find many updates on my Google search.
Seems like a great car and exactly what I’m looking for (other than the Hyundai dealership experience I guess).

Not sure about Limited, but this guy goes over the SEL changes (and subsequently made me go for a 2023): https://youtu.be/-igpvK_Fc4c?si=vXr2XiISgGUCEIpK

The Hyundai dealership experience was not great.