Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

According to the guy who came up with the Kido Butai formation, though, he was inspired much earlier than that - remember that the Indian Ocean Raid was the first major carrier-lead battle after a few paltry efforts during WW1, and it stunned the world when Kido Butai smashed the British fleet.

Pearl Harbor was years later, after the power and capability of the massive carrier strike was already well established.

Yeah the Indian Ocean Raid of 1942 really inspired the Pearl Harbor Raid of 1941

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...For some reason I could have sworn the Indian Ocean raid was in 1940.

My bad.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Was trying to think for a moment what, exactly, the Japanese were raiding in the Indian Ocean before they'd declared war on anyone but China.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

The Soviet Union isn't threatening either France or Britain in peacetime (assuming no Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact).
According to Kotkin, France believes they are--meanwhile, compounding the problem, Soviet foreign policy until far far too late believed that Great Britain would ally with the Nazis--and in fact already secretly had done so.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

My bad.

Really big enthusiast of WW2 history, I see...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

What is it with archeologists and their presumption that the skeleton used to be a man?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Really big enthusiast of WW2 history, I see...

no need to be a dick, friend

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

According to Kotkin, France believes they are--meanwhile, compounding the problem, Soviet foreign policy until far far too late believed that Great Britain would ally with the Nazis--and in fact already secretly had done so.

France threatened militarily? Like, how, I'd love to hear deets, I'm curious how that would work.

Given the British upper classes of the time, something something Mitford something something Edward VIII something something Zinoviev letter, I'm not sure I blame the Soviets for being suspicious. Especially given they themselves allied with Nazi Germany when the Nazis were explicitly anti-Communist.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no need to be a dick, friend

I'm sorry, its just my wehraboo tendencies or whatever. By design, my reply was meant to be rude.

Have a photo of a Japanese experimental glider, the Kokusai Ku-7

Which used a ramp at the rear to load up to 32 troops, freight, or even a light tank.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nenonen posted:

What is it with archeologists and their presumption that the skeleton used to be a man?

It's pretty easy to tell a male skeleton from a female skeleton. The pelvis is pretty different. It's the kind of thing that anyone with a professional familiarity with human bones would have, and even if they didn't it's as easy as emailing a few pictures to pretty much any doctor in the world.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

France threatened militarily? Like, how, I'd love to hear deets, I'm curious how that would work.
Not militarily: France believed that they were about to undergo a Communist revolution at any time, especially once the war in Spain broke out. The French foreign minister saw this war as a Morton's Fork:
"“If defeated,” the French foreign minister would note privately, France “would be Nazified. If victorious, it must, owing to the destruction of German power, submit, with the rest of Europe, to the overwhelming weight of the Slavic world, armed with the Communist flamethrower.”"

quote:

Given the British upper classes of the time, something something Mitford something something Edward VIII something something Zinoviev letter, I'm not sure I blame the Soviets for being suspicious. Especially given they themselves allied with Nazi Germany when the Nazis were explicitly anti-Communist.
They had absolutely no idea about that, that's British inside baseball they were not privy to. They thought that Great Britain was secretly pulling the strings in Germany, Italy, and Japan.

"But Stalin took talk of Poland trying to maintain neutrality vis-à-vis both its giant neighbors as disinformation, and behind Poland—indeed, behind every Soviet foe—he saw Britain. Stalin could not or would not grasp that “imperialist” Britain had the same enemies as the USSR: Nazi Germany in Europe and militaristic Japan in Asia. British-Soviet relations were poor. The British embassy official Sir William Strang had reported from Moscow that Pravda was calling the Nazi ideologue Rosenberg “a lackey of British imperialism.” Officials in London were also incredulous at Soviet assertions that the British were “the real force behind German and Japanese fascism,” as the Comintern’s Dmytro Manuilsky had put it at the 17th Party Congress. The son of an Orthodox priest from Ukraine, he had charged, in typical contradictions-of-capitalism fashion, that Britain was instigating these two powers against the Soviet Union to avoid a new intra-imperialist war over colonies. Even the tsarist-era military men Alexander Svechin and Boris Shaposhnikov wrote that Poland, Romania, and other limitrophe states were ultimately subordinated to the will of London and Paris."

(this was in 1934)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's pretty easy to tell a male skeleton from a female skeleton. The pelvis is pretty different. It's the kind of thing that anyone with a professional familiarity with human bones would have, and even if they didn't it's as easy as emailing a few pictures to pretty much any doctor in the world.
less than you think--remember that viking general they just found out was female after a hundred years

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

Not militarily: France believed that they were about to undergo a Communist revolution at any time, especially once the war in Spain broke out. The French foreign minister saw this war as a Morton's Fork:
"“If defeated,” the French foreign minister would note privately, France “would be Nazified. If victorious, it must, owing to the destruction of German power, submit, with the rest of Europe, to the overwhelming weight of the Slavic world, armed with the Communist flamethrower.”"

They had absolutely no idea about that, that's British inside baseball they were not privy to. They thought that Great Britain was secretly pulling the strings in Germany, Italy, and Japan.

"But Stalin took talk of Poland trying to maintain neutrality vis-à-vis both its giant neighbors as disinformation, and behind Poland—indeed, behind every Soviet foe—he saw Britain. Stalin could not or would not grasp that “imperialist” Britain had the same enemies as the USSR: Nazi Germany in Europe and militaristic Japan in Asia. British-Soviet relations were poor. The British embassy official Sir William Strang had reported from Moscow that Pravda was calling the Nazi ideologue Rosenberg “a lackey of British imperialism.” Officials in London were also incredulous at Soviet assertions that the British were “the real force behind German and Japanese fascism,” as the Comintern’s Dmytro Manuilsky had put it at the 17th Party Congress. The son of an Orthodox priest from Ukraine, he had charged, in typical contradictions-of-capitalism fashion, that Britain was instigating these two powers against the Soviet Union to avoid a new intra-imperialist war over colonies. Even the tsarist-era military men Alexander Svechin and Boris Shaposhnikov wrote that Poland, Romania, and other limitrophe states were ultimately subordinated to the will of London and Paris."

(this was in 1934)

Yeah, political support for French communists absolutely, 30s France came pretty close as it was to revolution from both sides of the spectrum. I'm not sure that affects a Japanese attack on French colonies though. That sort of thing tends to bring the Left in line if anything, see 1914.

A Mitford sister literally meeting and possibly dating Hitler wasn't exactly secret. Nor was the Daily Mail literally headlining 'hurrah for the Blackshirts'. The Soviet Union was almost too good at spying and had good access to the UK in particular (Cambridge Five etc), they absolutely knew this stuff.

As for them actually believing Britain was puppet mastering the Nazis though...Maybe don't take Pravda at face value despite the name? :shobon:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

As for them actually believing Britain was puppet mastering the Nazis though...Maybe don't take Pravda at face value despite the name? :shobon:
According to the best biography of Stalin available, they legit believed this. Stalin made foreign policy decisions based on this misconception for a very long time.

edit: this is from '36:

"Inside the Soviet regime, the British remained the fixation. “Fascism’s strength is not in Berlin, fascism’s strength is not in Rome,” Kalinin, head of the Soviet state, said in May 1936, echoing comments by Molotov. “Fascism’s strength is in London, and not even in London per se but in five London banks.”"

Note that this isn't about Germany, what the Mitfords are doing is irrelevant. It's about Fascism as such.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 16, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, I meant man as in a human, instead of an undead skeleton... because that skeleton with its strap-on knife looks :black101: af and I doubt the living flesh and skin covered version would have been as impressive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The entire Japanese fleet went on histories largest booze cruise in the Indian Ocean in 1940 so perhaps that’s where the confusion lay.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The entire Japanese fleet went on histories largest booze cruise in the Indian Ocean in 1940 so perhaps that’s where the confusion lay.

If this isn't just a joke I'd like to know more.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like the "war in China didn't go as well as planned" bit is being kind of hand waved away here. Nationalist China kept up the fight against Japan after losing its capital, largest/richest cities and its entire coastline and millions of casualties while also trying to fight a civil war against the Communists. It's kind of hindsight and falling into the Communist downplaying of the KMT's war effort to just say that of course China wouldn't have just capitulated like France did in 1940.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh you crazy Brits...

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

I feel like the "war in China didn't go as well as planned" bit is being kind of hand waved away here. Nationalist China kept up the fight against Japan after losing its capital, largest/richest cities and its entire coastline and millions of casualties while also trying to fight a civil war against the Communists. It's kind of hindsight and falling into the Communist downplaying of the KMT's war effort to just say that of course China wouldn't have just capitulated like France did in 1940.

Yeah, Chiang's role in the war is always downplayed but he did a great job with what little he had to work with. He also predicted how the war would go down before it started and posited that he would have to hold out until the UK or US entered into the war. His prediction was that the war would end when Japanese society collapsed under the weight of the conflict because people were already on the verge of starvation in Japan at the start of 1937.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
SAu 40 and other French SPGs

Queue: IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1, Mosin, Baranov's pocket mortar, Pz.Sfl.IVc, Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer", Soviet tank winter camo, Semovente L40 da 47/32, Semovente da 75/18, Semovente da 105/25, 7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle, 76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26, IM-1 squeezebore cannon, 45 mm M-6 gun, 25-pounder, 25-pounder "Baby", 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
IS-1 (IS-85)
IS-2 (object 240)
Production of the IS-2
Russian Renault
MS-1/T-18
KV-100 and KV-122
Kalashnikov's debut works NEW

:britain:
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Cruiser Tank Mk.II
Valentine III and V
Valentine IX
Valentine X and XI

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
GMC M8
Scorpion

:godwin:
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Nashorn/Hornisse
PzIII Ausf. E and F
PzIII Ausf. G and H
Ferdinand
Grosstraktor
Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR
P.1000 and other work by Grotte
PzIII Ausf.J-N NEW

:poland:
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR

:eurovision:
SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone)
TACAM R-2 NEW

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 17, 2018

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

My bad.

Let's also be clear here: the Royal Navy lost two cruisers, two destroyers, and an obsolete, aircraftless light carrier. It got away with both its fleet carriers, all of its battleships, and almost all of its destroyers and cruisers. It was definitely a defeat, but nobody seriously thought Forces A and B were ever going to be a match for the Japanese (except for Somerville, who cheerfully spent the whole raid stalking the Combined Fleet with his two carriers).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Let's also be clear here: the Royal Navy lost two cruisers, two destroyers, and an obsolete, aircraftless light carrier. It got away with both its fleet carriers, all of its battleships, and almost all of its destroyers and cruisers. It was definitely a defeat, but nobody seriously thought Forces A and B were ever going to be a match for the Japanese (except for Somerville, who cheerfully spent the whole raid stalking the Combined Fleet with his two carriers).

It was not as decisive a success as it could have been, but what you named plus a bunch of merchant ships and some number of aircraft in return for a somewhat smaller number of IJN aircraft is still a drat good trade. Of course, Japan needed absolutely decisive, lopsided successes in every single battle to allow them to maintain even a remote chance of some kind of victory in the war so you could probably spin that it was a strategic defeat in that it was a waste of resources. In terms of "We don't really have a strategy past our initial phase lines so let's throw some ops at a wall and see what sticks" Operation C was a lot better idea and a lot more successful than Operation MI.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cythereal posted:

Oh you crazy Brits...

Look man everyone was doing this we just wanted to be popular.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I know there's reports of WW2 tanks getting torn in half after getting hit by a russian 152mm shell. What would happen to a modern MBT that got hit by one? Have advances in engineering been enough to withstand the ridiculous amounts of kinetic/chemical energy?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IAmThatIs posted:

So I know there's reports of WW2 tanks getting torn in half after getting hit by a russian 152mm shell. What would happen to a modern MBT that got hit by one? Have advances in engineering been enough to withstand the ridiculous amounts of kinetic/chemical energy?

A ~6" HE shell hitting a tank directly is going to grossly overmatch any kind of protection. Like, blow off the turret kind of overmatch.

That said the effect of said round goes down a lot with distance - if it hits the ground a few meters away from the tank it won't do much of anything.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
How much HE is in a 152mm shell? Looks like 40ish kilograms, which is pretty near a Mk81.

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA329188

quote:

Sewel used this model and computed the probabilities of kill for a number of military systems due to the blast from large HE bombs. Computations were made for a parked aircraft, a gun laying radar target, a missile control radar, a truck, an APC, and a tank. The bombs used in the calculation were the 250-lb MK-81, the 500-lb MK-82, and the 1000-lb MK-83, and the U.S. Air Force (USAF) 750-lb T-54 bomb. Experimental values of parameters were used in the calculations when available. Values for the remaining parameters were obtained from tables or theory.

Pk for a Mk81 against a tank goes up to 1 at somewhere between 5 and 9 feet. Blast falls off as the cube of the distance, so a direct hit's gonna kill the tank dead, missing by more than a couple of meters is just going to bounce it around a bit.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 16, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What would those behemoth 152mm WWII guns do against modern state of the art tanks? I would imagine that the crew of an Abrams would still have a pretty bad time if they got hit by one of those.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

SAu 40 and other French SPGs

Queue: IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1, Mosin, Baranov's pocket mortar, Pz.Sfl.IVc, Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer", Soviet tank winter camo, Semovente L40 da 47/32, Semovente da 75/18, Semovente da 105/25

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
IS-1 (IS-85)
IS-2 (object 240)
Production of the IS-2
Russian Renault
MS-1/T-18
KV-100 and KV-122
Kalashnikov's debut works NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
25-pounder "Baby"
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Cruiser Tank Mk.II
Valentine III and V
Valentine IX
Valentine X and XI

:911:
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
36 inch Little David mortar
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
GMC M8
105 mm howitzer M3
Scorpion

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
7.5 cm LG 40
10.5 cm LG 42
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Nashorn/Hornisse
PzIII Ausf. E and F
PzIII Ausf. G and H
Ferdinand
17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf.
Grosstraktor
Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR
P.1000 and other work by Grotte
PzIII Ausf.J-N NEW

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR
7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle
76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26

:eurovision:
SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone)
TACAM R-2 NEW

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

Can I request all the anti-tank guns, towed artillery, and infantry anti-tank weapons on the current list?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Also, could the Great Bombard take out an Abrams? It's definitely not for my fanfic

it totally is

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What would those behemoth 152mm WWII guns do against modern state of the art tanks? I would imagine that the crew of an Abrams would still have a pretty bad time if they got hit by one of those.

Modern tanks are armored against being physically penetrated, but there's not a lot you can do to protect against that much raw concussive force.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So once you hose out the gooey remains of the crew the tank will be good to go? Nice.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So once you hose out the gooey remains of the crew the tank will be good to go? Nice.

There's probably poo poo on the exterior that will have been damaged/destroyed such as the barrel depending on how/where the bigass shell hits.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FAUXTON posted:

There's probably poo poo on the exterior that will have been damaged/destroyed such as the barrel depending on how/where the bigass shell hits.

This is the question Bewbies and I both just answered: a shell with that much HE in it scoring a direct hit on even a modern MBT is going to hard-kill it. More than a couple meters away, it's not going to do much.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was in an armor crewman, but I was never in a tank that was hit by a heavy round like a tank shell or an ATGM.

I don't know if it's "hose out" as much as mess up by concussion. I picture bleeding ears/deafness, being knocked unconscious if not killed, that sort of thing.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Phanatic posted:

This is the question Bewbies and I both just answered: a shell with that much HE in it scoring a direct hit on even a modern MBT is going to hard-kill it. More than a couple meters away, it's not going to do much.

Then why bother with fancy APFSDS rounds from a 120mm-ish gun, if a 152mm tank gun from 70 years ago can kill anything? Or is it because the HE shell is much less likely to hit because of it's lower velocity?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Clarence posted:

Then why bother with fancy APFSDS rounds from a 120mm-ish gun, if a 152mm tank gun from 70 years ago can kill anything? Or is it because the HE shell is much less likely to hit because of it's lower velocity?

Yes, and also the 152 mm shell weighs 40kg, about four times modern tank ammunition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Clarence posted:

A 152/155mm round weighs almost 100 pounds by itself, and has to be loaded separate from its powder charge. An 829 sabot round weighs about half that including powder and casing.

I think some Russian WWII enormo-tank used separate round and charge but it was a big pain in the rear end. No doubt someone in this thread knows more on this subject.

...anyway the point of this post is that howitzer rounds are huge and loading one inside of a tiny smelly tank turret isn't really feasible. Also arrow rounds are way more accurate and cooler.