Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how would i fit my gigantic heat sinks into a small case mr smart guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
look at this guy who's never seen phase change cooling.

you put the giant heatsinks outside the case

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I miss my old comically oversized triple slot graphics card

It would be nice if you could get a reliable passively cooled computer that had a giant heatsink on the back of the chassis but PC manufacturers will never get their poo poo together enough to make that the standard. There's been some attempts at those kinds of cases but they generally only support one specific motherboard and one specific graphics card.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

look at this guy who's never seen phase change cooling.

you put the giant heatsinks outside the case

i'd sooner use a peltier junction if i wanted awesome hot metal jutting outta my case

burning swine
May 26, 2004

at least we all finally got on the same page re: power supplies belong on the bottom. Plus the whole wires-behind-the-mobo-tray thing has done loving wonders for airflow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, you're still thinking too close

the chiller unit goes on the roof or some poo poo. ain't no reason it has to be anywhere near the pc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

no, you're still thinking too close

the chiller unit goes on the roof or some poo poo. ain't no reason it has to be anywhere near the pc

just plumb it directly into your central hvac

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
use the hot cpu water for coffee, duh

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the faux leather

you and i should hang out

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i haven't used windows 10 anniversary edition since it deleted all my documents and settings

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you installed it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's always amusing to see how bad much of yospos is with computers

sure they're all making a dece six and a half figgies working as overpaid typists, but the minute they try to do anything with one it catches fire and burns all their data down

no wonder apple is so popular around here

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i haven't used windows 10 anniversary edition since it deleted all my documents and settings

pretty sure your files are exactly where you left them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah same. I checked and they were still there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scott Forstall posted:

you and i should hang out

i want a leather couch so bad now that i live in a place where my naked body won't stick to it w/ sweat

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

despite all my early reluctance i've had no probs with windows 10 on my 8 year old desktop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i want a leather couch so bad now that i live in a place where my naked body won't stick to it w/ sweat

peeling urself off is the best part

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

edge is really fast and i'd probably use it if it had an adblocker

while writing this post i googled "microsft edge adblock" and i guess it has extensions as of the anniversary update? worth a shot

its good but a bit lol because theres apparently a limit to how much you can add to the blocker list so itll nag constantly if you toggle all the toggles

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it still will

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Linguica posted:

https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4.php I would love if desktop PCs were all this size

I use this for a 6-bay NAS, suits my needs
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

sure they're all making a dece six and a half figgies working as overpaid typists, but the minute they try to do anything with one it catches fire and burns all their data down

no wonder apple is so popular around here

an automatic Windows update deleted all my documents and settings

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

perhaps theyre where they were left in My Abyss :unsmigghh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

an automatic Windows update deleted all my documents and settings

no, it didn't

i know you think it did, but that isn't what happened, because that isn't how the upgrade installer works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

of course you had up to date system image backups anyway though, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

p.s.: all your documents and files are in their original paths under the folder windows.old

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PC gaming is a mental illness

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

this kind of stuff is really important to 13 year olds, and mental 13 year olds

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what's your excuse?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I finally got anniversary edition installed, turns out when I installed windows 10 it hosed up and formatted my drive with a MBR rather than the UEFI stuff so I just had to reformat and now I'm using the anniversary update and it's ok

I dont really keep anything on my OS partition anyway so it was no great loss other than the annoyance of reinstalling chrome

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

pls get probeb for this awful link

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

I finally got anniversary edition installed, turns out when I installed windows 10 it hosed up and formatted my drive with a MBR rather than the UEFI stuff

i'd love to know how this happened, because the upgrader doesn't format anything and it definitely doesn't change your partition table

the only way that would happen is if you made an mbr bootable boot device with the installer on it, then installed from that, in which case, no poo poo, because you can't do a uefi install when you booted in mbr mode

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

I finally got anniversary edition installed, turns out when I installed windows 10 it hosed up and formatted my drive with a MBR rather than the UEFI stuff so I just had to reformat and now I'm using the anniversary update and it's ok

I dont really keep anything on my OS partition anyway so it was no great loss other than the annoyance of reinstalling chrome

i'm not sure if you're being ironic, but it is hosed up how nonchalant windows users are about losing literally everything. i can kind of read like it's coming from some twitching person in shock after their village was taken out in a tsunami.

but i do remember this happening a lot as a kid. it would be like "it's no problem, i'll just start over, just have to get FireFox." then it gradually setting in over hours or days all the cool things i lost and apps i had to reinstall.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you should have backups set up no matter your platform you dumbass

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

p.s.: all your documents and files are in their original paths under the folder windows.old

that's not exactly where I left them

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Windows 10 updated and now hangs at the login screen

I just need to wait for someone to beta test this and another patch to install

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

windows cannot fail, it can only be failed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

that's not exactly where I left them

well you shouldn't have chosen a refresh install then

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

edge ftw. got adblock installed. loving smooth :cool:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

triple sulk posted:

edge ftw. got adblock installed. loving smooth :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU