Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Philonius posted:

Still working on O7S.

We now occasionally reach enrage :shepicide:

I'm definitely gonna clear it this week right guys?

Uh....guys?

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So I entered Palace of the Dead with a fresh level 1 Marauder. What will happen when I unlock Warrior? Can I keep going or will I need to restart?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Foxhound posted:

So I entered Palace of the Dead with a fresh level 1 Marauder. What will happen when I unlock Warrior? Can I keep going or will I need to restart?

You'll need to restart IIRC, and you won't have any of the Warrior skills until you get your job stone.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Rainuwastaken posted:

I still don't understand why Astrologos isn't a part of frontlines roulette. It's such a strange line to draw between one kind of large-scale pvp and another.

This. If it was in there I'd actually do it.

(Maybe, they've added so many other ways to cap currency...)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Foxhound posted:

You will get no real gains after Level 50 and you'll have to restart once you get your Soul Crystal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly as a tank class you can pretty trivially get dungeon queues which will probably get you to 30 way way faster than PotD.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to tank content, but I also don't want to be yelled at by pubbies and now all of my tanks are Level 61 and I've passed the point where it's okay to learn and :supaburn:.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to tank content, but I also don't want to be yelled at by pubbies and now all of my tanks are Level 61 and I've passed the point where it's okay to learn and :supaburn:.

Use your squadron for a couple early dungeons, until you get the absolute basics of "spam flash/overpower/unleash to keep aggro" down. After that, the rest is easy. Just kinda climb your way up the dungeon levels so you get the hang of your skills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've honestly never seen anyone yell at newbie tanks outside of like Alliance Raid and Alliance Raid seems to be where the worst of the worst congregate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Use your squadron for a couple early dungeons, until you get the absolute basics of "spam flash/overpower/unleash to keep aggro" down. After that, the rest is easy. Just kinda climb your way up the dungeon levels so you get the hang of your skills.

I always manage to lose aggro on at least one monster doing that, so I probably need more practice. I have tanked Greg II and some 50/60 dungeons as well, though.

ImpAtom posted:

I've honestly never seen anyone yell at newbie tanks outside of like Alliance Raid and Alliance Raid seems to be where the worst of the worst congregate.

That's the main thing I'm worried about doing: Alliance Raid Roulette as a tank.

Fortunately, HoH is about to come out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sometimes I feel like this game should have a contact number for an anxiety hotline the way a lot of portable games have a 'remember to take breaks regularly!' splash screen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's embarrassing, but I honestly had a panic attack the first time I did Sastasha and couldn't play the game for half an hour afterwards.

And now I'm complaining about pugs constantly dying in Savage, so I probably just need to nut up and do Tank stuff which I assume isn't as scary as I think it is. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's embarrassing, but I honestly had a panic attack the first time I did Sastasha and couldn't play the game for half an hour afterwards.

And now I'm complaining about pugs constantly dying in Savage, so I probably just need to nut up and do Tank stuff which I assume isn't as scary as I think it is. :v:
Oh sure, I can understand the concern, it just seems pervasive and overwhelming

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hah, same..even though I was a THM.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Give me a loving Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin equivalent. I mean gently caress man, this isn't hard.

WSG is awful and maybe has single handledly made me hate CTF.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

Oh sure, I can understand the concern, it just seems pervasive and overwhelming

It can be.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hah, same..even though I was a THM.

So was I.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This was the game that taught me how to tank. Just take things slow and honestly.

And then realize that if you gently caress up, you can just blame the healer. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oxyclean posted:

Well I’d at least love an Arathi Basin knock off.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I never really enjoyed WoW PVP. But I enjoy Shatter.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Argas posted:

I never really enjoyed WoW PVP. But I enjoy Shatter.

Shatter is PVE.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Only if you're playing it very badly.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Asimo posted:

Only if you're playing it very badly.

Unless you count the bots you can kill as "E."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Shatter is to some degree pve. Ask me about the time I lost a round despite being on a team with 3 people rocking the 7+kills buff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

WSG is awful, but so is every form of CTF in every game that's ever decided to incorporate it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress you. 2fort owns.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
2fort is arguably worse than WSG. It always turns into a 40 minute loving mexican standoff between 6 snipers, 8 engineers and like 3 soldiers or scouts or whatever.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's not a popular opinion but I actually really liked SWTOR's Huttball, which is basically CTF but there's only one flag and you score by getting it into the enemy base. Was outrageously imbalanced mostly due to one tank class that could make itself immune to all crowd control and had a movement speed boost ability, but other than that it was pretty fun. Came complete with a booby trapped arena and a crazy announcer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh yeah, glam question.

What is the top worn by this particular Xaela?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think its the south seas swimsuit?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

O7S: the fight so nice I first cleared it twice.

Twice before I could clear it once!

Philonius posted:

Still working on O7S.

We now occasionally reach enrage :shepicide:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Same. Never seen enrage, though. :smith:

Y'all got this! The dual rotation thing helps keeps things fresh, but also somehow obfuscates your level of competence with the fight in a way I can't accurately pin down.

Brainamp posted:

This was the game that taught me how to tank. Just take things slow and honestly.

And then realize that if you gently caress up, you can just blame the healer. :v:

I tell people tanking is easy and to try it out, but I get anxious every time!

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 30, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tanking is that exact level of easy where your mind isn't fully engaged so you start wondering if it's too easy and you're forgetting something that won't get anyone killed but is annoying the hell out of your party i.e. positioning

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've started the game as Marauder, been WAR main for years now and can WAR-tank in my sleep, but then i switch to PLD and suddenly there's so many buttons to hit constantly, and my Spirits is gonna come off cooldown again soon, and can i use FoF again or would i waste most of it oh god shield bash is up again in between keeping up my rotation and am i in time for mana restoration to use requiescat again when it's back soon and OH YEAH i should probably dodge all these aoe's and mechanics are going on that i can barely pay attention to and i'm forgetting to use my def cooldowns and there's a green circle in my enemy list i just noticed

And with all this going on suddenly i can barely remember that i have skills like Intervention or Passage of Arms, or hell even Tempered Will, much less use them effectively. And when i play DRK i somehow do even worse, despite still being sub-70 and not even having all skills yet. :shrug:

Somehow i have no problem strategically using Shake It Off on my WAR, but Divine Veil on my PLD just goes unnoticed ineffectively at best, and embarrassing me with untimely usage at worst.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mymla posted:

2fort is arguably worse than WSG. It always turns into a 40 minute loving mexican standoff between 6 snipers, 8 engineers and like 3 soldiers or scouts or whatever.

2fort is terrible CTF but its better then WSG since you can actually have fun with the stupid stalemate. WSG I care about getting it done / winning. Also, tf2 doesn't have Druids.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do what I do: respond with nothing more than "lol"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

explain you're getting grips on stuff and if they bitch gently caress em, leave duty

i did that to a healer that screamed at me to do max pulls my first time through the level 55 stormblood dungeon and then refused to heal after i said i was new and would like to go through it at a comfortable pace :v:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

explain you're getting grips on stuff and if they bitch gently caress em, leave duty

i did that to a healer that screamed at me to do max pulls my first time through the level 55 stormblood dungeon and then refused to heal after i said i was new and would like to go through it at a comfortable pace :v:

Screw that rear end in a top hat healer. Bardams is brutal for undergeared players which is pretty likely to be the case for a levelling dungeon.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I got yelled at by a healer the other day for not pulling enough in Satatsha nm so it just happens sometimes. They started pulling more stuff on their own which I was more than happy to let them tank.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Relax Or DIE posted:

I got yelled at by a healer the other day for not pulling enough in Satatsha nm so it just happens sometimes. They started pulling more stuff on their own which I was more than happy to let them tank.

Lol this might have been me. Did we group up with all goons for a level dungeon roulette ads end up in this? I wasn't trying to "yell" I was trying to do like that one movie "pull everything. EVERYTHING!"

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Nah this was a month or two ago with randoms. I noticed the healer pulled an extra group of mobs to me, then started spamming cure as fast as possible on me. I told them that I didn't mind bigger pulls but since no one has aoe at that level really, our biggest speed boost would be if they focused on dps. Their reply was "I'm healing."

Imo every class should get an aoe move by level 14 but I know this isn't a hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you're new or unfamiliar as a tank or even with a dungeon just say so and most of the time groups are fine with that. Sometimes they even have helpful advice (eg. where to tank something, how to handle packs/bosses as a tank) and few people will expect the new guy to tank the entire dungeon at once.