Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SirDan3k posted:

So you have never read a Hulk story and have no passing knowledge of the Hulk I assume? Let me clue you in real quick, it's a curse, the kind you can't get rid of because it's an allegory for the self destructive and bestial nature of mankind that we can not shake free of even today, a nature that all our technological progress has enhanced not abated.

The most advanced thing we build are bombs, bombs make us monsters. We are the Hulk

who pissed in your cheerios grandad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Maria "I am going to arrest someone and start a civil war" Hill

The panel with Sam and Miles going "WOW I'M ON TONY'S SIDE" was pretty bad, too

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

Like, seriously, vetted and approved by Marvel editorial, what-the-gently caress-ever, it doesn't make the book's writing less dumb. "Banner's been experimenting on himself for a year to keep himself from hulking out" Really? Because if there was a writers retreat then maybe someone could have brought up "no actually he's been Hulk-free because there's a different Hulk who sucked all the gamma right out of him".
Even in Pak's Hulk there is the angle of Banner not being fully convinced he's Hulk free because he's been 'done' with the Hulk before and it's never worked.

quote:

Even setting that aside, having Hawkeye ice Banner was something that really just didn't sit right with me. But hey at least with him being a murderer now we can have lots of super-awkward dialogue any time he cameos and/or is mentioned in Kate Bishop's new solo! :smithicide:
Or in the Occupy Avengers book he's the lead character in?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Like, when we got that vision of the Hulk killing everyone at the end of issue two, my assumption was that we'd get a series of events leading up over the next couple of issues towards that eventual outcome. Maybe it would even be the climax of the entire story, and only by looking back in retrospect would we think, "Ah, the mystery is finally revealed. This is how it came to be"...perhaps even as a self-fulfilling outcome of the vision itself or somesuch. Cause and effect. Buildup and resolution.

But no, in the span of ten or so pages a character that hasn't done anything in the story gets killed by another character that hasn't done anything in the story because a flashback between them that we don't get to see until after the fact tells us they'd arranged for this before anything had actually happened in this story. And what does this have to do with anything going forward? Who knows! We end on the "cliffhanger" of Tony discovering the truth of how Ulysses' powers work, but the fact that the next issue could reveal this truth to be literally anything whatsoever because nothing in the story so far has established any indications for anything about it at all. Bendis could tell us in the next issue that Ulysses is powered by Spider Totems and it would make about as much sense as anything else in this book's narrative progression.

Maybe we can chalk all that up, on a technical level, to just "this story is bad" instead of "there is no story," but the reason I think the story is bad is because there's no throughline sense of plot or structure to the events we see unfolding in it. It genuinely does just feel like the events we see so far have been planned by throwing darts at a wall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I honestly expect Bendis to have Amadeus lose his poo poo and be the Hulk that nearly murders everyone.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What if it's Doc Samson? Bendis insisted it was a plot point that he was back from the dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

What if it's Doc Samson? Bendis insisted it was a plot point that he was back from the dead.

That would also work for me. Making Bruce's death totally meaningless would be a good guy punch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BrianWilly posted:

Like, when we got that vision of the Hulk killing everyone at the end of issue two, my assumption was that we'd get a series of events leading up over the next couple of issues towards that eventual outcome. Maybe it would even be the climax of the entire story, and only by looking back in retrospect would we think, "Ah, the mystery is finally revealed. This is how it came to be"...perhaps even as a self-fulfilling outcome of the vision itself or somesuch. Cause and effect. Buildup and resolution.

But no, in the span of ten or so pages a character that hasn't done anything in the story gets killed by another character that hasn't done anything in the story because a flashback between them that we don't get to see until after the fact tells us they'd arranged for this before anything had actually happened in this story. And what does this have to do with anything going forward? Who knows! We end on the "cliffhanger" of Tony discovering the truth of how Ulysses' powers work, but the fact that the next issue could reveal this truth to be literally anything whatsoever because nothing in the story so far has established any indications for anything about it at all. Bendis could tell us in the next issue that Ulysses is powered by Spider Totems and it would make about as much sense as anything else in this book's narrative progression.

Maybe we can chalk all that up, on a technical level, to just "this story is bad" instead of "there is no story," but the reason I think the story is bad is because there's no throughline sense of plot or structure to the events we see unfolding in it. It genuinely does just feel like the events we see so far have been planned by throwing darts at a wall.

Bendis has always had issues with plotting, big events just aren't a thing he should do. Considering they are basically all about plotting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's actually good comics out this week.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Gwenpool is still quite fun.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I actually just picked up the issue of Inhumans that focused on Reader getting his dog back and really liked it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Four Score posted:

There is no real pseudoscientific reason or internal logic consistent within the setting that the Hulk is incurable or permanent.

Hulk is literally magic, when the Maestro got killed he hung around as a spirit until he could absorb enough energy to be reborn. There really isn't a genetic competent to "Magic ghost powers".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Or in the Occupy Avengers book he's the lead character in?

Yeah probably! Look, I know I'm relatively new to comics so there's like 30-40 years of Hawkeye stories I haven't read, and I know that a lot of people don't care for the fuckup that Fraction's run portrayed him as (and essentially established him as in the Marvel universe for the past few years), but after this, I know (or at least, I'm willing to bet) that the next couple of years until Banner comes back are gonna have Hawkeye's inner monologue or other characters bring up "you killed an innocent man!" a lot and it's gonna make the character an unfun bummer.

I realized typing that that I'm basically calling Clint Barton the Penance of CW2.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

I honestly don't believe him.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

Maria "I am going to arrest someone and start a civil war" Hill

The panel with Sam and Miles going "WOW I'M ON TONY'S SIDE" was pretty bad, too

Yeah their reaction seemed unrealistic and just forced for plot's sake. It gets even worse when Nova's book is making him reluctant to back either side.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SilverSupernova posted:

Yeah their reaction seemed unrealistic and just forced for plot's sake. It gets even worse when Nova's book is making him reluctant to back either side.

That's pretty much how Bendis events have played out in the past, just characters acting in a flat way to tell the kind of story he wants.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Nilbop posted:

I actually just picked up the issue of Inhumans that focused on Reader getting his dog back and really liked it.

I'd rather talk about how awesome this issue was rather than how confusing CW2 is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

Like how many covers can we find of four white characters standing together for no reason

Upcoming? That might be harder than previously. Not a terrible thing, really.

Rhyno posted:

All white people are brothers united by our love of racquetball.

Trast posted:

And mayo, don't forget mayo.

Stop giving away secrets or I will bring it up at the next council meeting.

TwoPair posted:

I realized typing that that I'm basically calling Clint Barton the Penance of CW2.

Bro. I hope you're wrong.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I am still amused that in two out of two Civil War events, Maria Hill tries to arrest an Original Avenger before they do anything illegal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

I am still amused that in two out of two Civil War events, Maria Hill tries to arrest an Original Avenger before they do anything illegal.

Who was the original Avenger that Hill tried to arrest in CW I?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

A.o.D. posted:

Captain America. She corners him with Shields best agents before the law goes through, and authorizes lethal force to be used on him after he called her a facist. Thus is despite it being a few days before the registration act got signed into law.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

Captain America. She corners him with Shields best agents before the law goes through, and authorizes lethal force to be used on him after he called her a facist. Thus is despite it being a few days before the registration act got signed into law.

Yeah, she tried to arrest Cap. I remember that. But who was the original Avenger that she arrested?

e: fixed tense.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Civil War 2 is poo poo rear end piss but it would be a cool character development if Hawkeye becomes more and more uncertain that Bruce was actually about to Hulk out, and that he saw what he expected to see because he was so amped up/scared that it was going to happen. It's been discussed to death but I'm sure I hate it twice as much because of how good it was in T.A.Hulk when Bruce realized he COULDN'T Hulk out anymore.

In other news everyone should give Bullseye a chance when it comes out because Brisson's "The Violent" was cancelled at 5 issues despite being RAD. So I'm expecting Bullseye to be gritty as hell, and "gritty" and "the Daredevil sphere" go together like lamb and tuna fish. Bullseye's totally in my mental list of "new books that won't get more than 6 issues" but I'm rooting for it now that I've learned/noticed who the writer is.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

I'd rather talk about how awesome this issue was rather than how confusing CW2 is.

Reader is a seriously cool character and anyone who adds another dog into the superhero support pool is fine by me. When I realized what he was doing this chapter I just got the biggest smile on my face.

On the other side of things I picked up Vision 9 and yeah, this isn't doing it for me at all. I can see why this would be some people's bag because it's approaching tones in a not--mostly-unintelligent say but by the end of the issue I was rolling my eyes instead of crying them out.

I'm still interested in seeing Viv(?) in Champions though. Seriously looking forward to that line-up, especially after getting caught up on ANADA and seeing what Waid's doing with the Kamala, Miles and Sam.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Civil War 2 is poo poo rear end piss but it would be a cool character development if Hawkeye becomes more and more uncertain that Bruce was actually about to Hulk out, and that he saw what he expected to see because he was so amped up/scared that it was going to happen. It's been discussed to death but I'm sure I hate it twice as much because of how good it was in T.A.Hulk when Bruce realized he COULDN'T Hulk out anymore.

In other news everyone should give Bullseye a chance when it comes out because Brisson's "The Violent" was cancelled at 5 issues despite being RAD. So I'm expecting Bullseye to be gritty as hell, and "gritty" and "the Daredevil sphere" go together like lamb and tuna fish. Bullseye's totally in my mental list of "new books that won't get more than 6 issues" but I'm rooting for it now that I've learned/noticed who the writer is.

You mean turn a bad story beat into an opportunity to discuss disproportionate police violence? Yeah, that'd potentially be a powerful story, but I don't think Marvel has the wherewithal or the stones to write that story right now.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

A.o.D. posted:

You mean turn a bad story beat into an opportunity to discuss disproportionate police violence? Yeah, that'd potentially be a powerful story, but I don't think Marvel has the wherewithal or the stones to write that story right now.

SamCap is specifically discussing disproportionate police violence at this very moment.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
neat!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

JoshTheStampede posted:

SamCap is specifically discussing disproportionate police violence at this very moment.

The Americops look like a parody of 90's comics.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Power Man & Iron Fist seem to be delving into that particular well of inspiration too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I wanted to ask about the AmeriCops, a friend was asking on their podcast if they're working for Carol, but they've not been mentioned outside of Sam Wilson.

I like that the CW2 issue was told from a court case with flash back the events, but I feel like the whole story has been treading water without any clear path.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, Bendis just got a comic about condemning and retaliating to police corruption and violence optioned for a pilot on Showtime.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I wanted to ask about the AmeriCops, a friend was asking on their podcast if they're working for Carol, but they've not been mentioned outside of Sam Wilson.

I like that the CW2 issue was told from a court case with flash back the events, but I feel like the whole story has been treading water without any clear path.

Yeah I also was confused when they talked about it on Wait, What. It's totally confined to Cap's book, it's the plot going on when Sam isn't dealing with CW stuff.

It came off as a little on the nose because of the two police shootings that happened the week it dropped but that was bad timing/coincidence. Honestly if HydraCap hadn't sucked all the attention to itself I would have expected to hear more complaints about white Nick Spencer writing two issues in a row about black superheroes hanging out and discussing black superhero life, the reintroduction of Rage of all people, and the whole Americops thing.

Considering people didn't like when Bendis had Miles say he wanted to be more than just "the black Spider-Man" and that his race shouldn't matter, this seemed even more potentially "stay in your lane, Spencer".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked this weeks issue. Ever since the end of Ultimates volume one, I've seen Hawkeye as the guy you give the silver bullet when dealing with the Hulk. I'm interested to see where this goes, especially since it moves two of Marvel's bigger characters away from the center. By the end of all this, Tony Stark is going to get pushed to the edges as well. It's really cool they're giving all these new characters a chance

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Shoot, I meant iconic. My bad!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

By the end of all this, Tony Stark is going to get pushed to the edges as well.

Judging by Holo-Tony on the cover of the upcoming IIM, I think Stark is getting pushed into a body bag at the end of this.

Well, unless the next volume of Iron Man is gonna go all Batman Beyond with Tony just yelling from a chair at Riri mid-mission.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Tony dies and lives on as an AI" was part of my Iron Man pitch I made up on a boring work shift a couple years back

also included in that pitch: a story where Tony is trapped in the Savage Land entitled Jurassic Stark

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

also included in that pitch: a story where Tony is trapped in the Savage Land entitled Jurassic Stark

How does this not exist?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

Judging by Holo-Tony on the cover of the upcoming IIM, I think Stark is getting pushed into a body bag at the end of this.

Well, unless the next volume of Iron Man is gonna go all Batman Beyond with Tony just yelling from a chair at Riri mid-mission.

Either way, all the Marvel stalwarts will be on the peripheral. Marvel isn't trying to chase the movies, though they will try to line some things up, but they're trying to get ahead of them. I'm totally down for the movies slowly replacing their cast with the inheritors from the comics.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Random question, is the new run of Black Panther by Tah-Nehisi Coates worth picking up? The previews looked interesting to me and I liked the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Blockhouse posted:

:pusheen:

• Locked thread