Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm from South Australia and I say kill em all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
COVID is perfect for right wing recruitment. People angry and struggling with lockdown latch on to protests organised by nazis. Protests have no clear goal, just noise. These are Super spreader events which lead to more lock downs and more angry people. Footage of cops beating up or spraying protesters just increases the outrage. Big feedback loop.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/o-brien-promised-churches-he-would-amend-gay-conversion-laws-if-elected-20210915-p58rvk.html

quote:

The Victorian opposition quietly promised the Australian Christian Lobby and other faith groups that it would amend new laws banning gay conversion therapy if it won next year’s state election.

Then-opposition leader Michael O’Brien committed to wind back elements of the laws if he won the November 2022 election, in a bid to secure the votes of religious conservatives who rallied against the Victorian government criminalising attempts to suppress or change an LGBTI person’s gender or sexuality, including through faith.

Newly-elected Opposition Leader Matthew Guy refused to say whether he would take a different position to Mr O’Brien, claiming he had not yet had enough time to consider his predecessor’s decision, which was discussed in the party room.

As part of his media blitz after toppling Mr O’Brien, Mr Guy was interviewed by LGBTQI radio station JOY 94.9FM where he said he wanted the LGBTQI community to talk to him about issues affecting them.

“What’s important? What matters? What’s impacting you?” Mr Guy asked.

“I don’t want you to think that there’s only one side that listens to you, that there’s only one side of politics that’s interested in issues. We’re all Victorians, it doesn’t matter what our sexuality, what our gender is.”

Two senior Liberal sources confirmed the party’s election commitment to amend the ban on gay conversion therapy.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Good thing the Vic libs couldn't win a meat raffle at a RSL

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like the biggest ones outside of Vic were in... PERTH? Byron bay? what the gently caress are you doing you assholes?

quote:

Between 200 and 300 unmasked people gathered for a protest outside the Byron Bay courthouse.

The protest was largely peaceful, however, the exact message from protestors was unclear. Some held 'Freedom from Lockdown' signs and were chanting 'freedom' despite the Byron Shire and many of its neighbouring shires not currently being in lockdown.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Went to the market in Castlemaine today and there was a literal antivax stall setup there. I know it's a hotbed but I was pretty disappointed to see it. Reality is going to hit them like a ton of bricks when it gets loose.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looks like the biggest ones outside of Vic were in... PERTH? Byron bay? what the gently caress are you doing you assholes?

People in Perth feel okay to protest because there is no Covid here, so even the people who are opposed to lockdowns but actually wary of catching the virus are happy to attend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The only shocking thing coming out of that article is that, from searching online after reading it, it seems O'Brien was never a member of the Young Liberals.

He's a purestrain bigot lib.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

quote:

"There was criticism of the bill’s reference to prayer, including from mainstream churches, with Melbourne’s Catholic Archbishop Peter Comensoli telling The Sunday Age: “Who I pray to, how I pray, what I pray for, and most particularly, who I pray with is not of concern to any government.”
But when it comes to telling people who they can and cannot love, this bloke's all over it.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

:cb:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Synthbuttrange posted:

Some held 'Freedom from Lockdown' signs and were chanting 'freedom' despite the Byron Shire and many of its neighbouring shires not currently being in lockdown.
lmao

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The protest in Adelaide yesterday was big apparently.

My wife and her mum were in the CBD shopping and waiting to cross at lights with masks on when the march went past, with people yelling at them to take their masks off.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Media is reporting that NSW will allow outdoor public pools to open, even in spicy suburbs.

Guardian analysis shows NSW could hit 70% double dose as early as 29 September. Gladys had better get a wriggle on and let people know if the promised lifting of restrictions isn't happening because announcing that at the eleventh hour will be political suicide.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...new-cases-today

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://www.theage.com.au/money/investing/i-d-hate-me-too-why-i-ve-decided-to-become-a-property-investor-20210916-p58s1p.html

“I pretended to have principles until the first instant they may actually risk me making a smaller amount of unearned money”

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Spicy LGAs are having most additional restrictions lifted from tomorrow. Public pools will be open from 27 September.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/money/investing/i-d-hate-me-too-why-i-ve-decided-to-become-a-property-investor-20210916-p58s1p.html

“I pretended to have principles until the first instant they may actually risk me making a smaller amount of unearned money”

Money is basically free right now why stand on principle over this when you're a woman that wants to actually retire and have a comfortable life? What impact does one middle class person opting out of investing have lol. As long as there are few rules and incentives it's stupid to hobble yourself.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Money is basically free right now why stand on principle over this when you're a woman that wants to actually retire and have a comfortable life? What impact does one middle class person opting out of investing have lol. As long as there are few rules and incentives it's stupid to hobble yourself.

I’m so glad it’s you that made this post :allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm looking forward to moving out of my apartment to a house and renting it out :)

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
If the only people who take advantage of such hosed incentives are people who think the incentive structure is good and shouldn't change, I fail to see how that's a win for anyone.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
Irvine's economic advice over the years has gone from, "just earn a middle income and save a few grand each month on morning coffees and drinks with the girls," to "Don't hate the player!"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Going from a self described 17 years of critiquing the commodification of housing as one of the biggest problems facing this country to buying an investment property the second you can afford it is the kind of moral vacuum that should see her preselected as an ALP candidate in 30 seconds flat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Going from a self described 17 years of critiquing the commodification of housing as one of the biggest problems facing this country to buying an investment property the second you can afford it is the kind of moral vacuum that should see her preselected as an ALP candidate in 30 seconds flat.

"Housing shouldn't be commodified", and, "you need to act in your best interest in the capitalist hellscape" aren't mutually exclusive points.

EDIT: For context, I own no housing. Basically individual action can't solve this problem.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 19, 2021

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
people shouldn't be treated as property, but i'm just acting in my own best interests, i explain to the people unhappy that i own slaves to work on my plantation

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Individual action can't solve this problem but that's not the same thing as 'individual actions can't make this any worse by entrenching it as accepted behaviour' and it's wild how often moral dilemmas around capitalism are simply people's inability to acknowledge that

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
It amounts to making the argument that by buying an investment property, it allows someone else to rent it. Mental gymnastics is still not an Olympic sport.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Doc Holliday posted:

It amounts to making the argument that by buying an investment property, it allows someone else to rent it. Mental gymnastics is still not an Olympic sport.

Precisely, which ignores the fact that across all age groups the majority of people who rent do so because they can’t afford to own, and 80% of small investor money goes into established housing not new so it doesn’t increase supply either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Remember ten years ago when we'd all be in LF waiting for the number to go down. Ah to be young again.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JBP posted:

Remember ten years ago when we'd all be in LF waiting for the number to go down. Ah to be young again.

The bubble's gonna burst any day now

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Irvine’s econ writing was fine till she jumped to Murdoch, and didn’t really improve when she came back.

also if she was smart she would’ve put it in super

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I had never heard of Irvine until I saw one of her columns recently which was amusingly all about how she - a "senior economics writer" - was buying shares for the first time

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wow it actually is possible to gently caress up enough to be forced to resign from Scott's... Oh it's just resigned from cabinet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol former attorney general, now former cabinet minister

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Cleaning house only because election

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

lol former attorney general, now alleged rapist

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kind of surprised Morrison didn’t double down and claim that Porter resigning would incentivise the radical left to fabricate rape accusations anonymous donations

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything I'd triple down on going on about how much loving money I'm making for doing nothing, like lol, dole bludging ain't got nothing on this, I don't hafta do poo poo and the government can't stop tripping over itself to stuff more money in my pocket I spent on booze and video games

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Countdown to mega fuckhead millionaire claiming the donation and how they just wanted to remain anonymous in this highly charged pc gone mad hell world where anyone can be forced to stand down at the merest accusation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

can... can we make a blind trust to donate to people we dont like? :v

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

can... can we make a blind trust to donate to people we dont like? :v

Only the ones stupid/greedy enough to accept a blind donation

So yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Porter's just been cycled out to replenish his hp, he'll be back in rotation in three or four years