Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

fleshweasel posted:

if I needed to use Windows on the go as my primary OS I would probably get an XPS 15. it's a reasonably good looking laptop.
actually considering getting one if apple replaces the function keys with a touchbar like rumored lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

what thread was it where somebody was unironically bigging up the dell xps 15

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=cax15w10pb1636&model_id=xps-15-9550-laptop

this thing is the cheapest looking expensive laptop i've seen in quite a while

gee wonder why apple is eating everyone's lunch in the high end market segment

its not plastic tho. its real good and way better than mac books which are trash for retards.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i can just head the plastic creaking and the screen shaking when you touch it from here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the palm rest doesn't get scorching hot like on a mac book

Feb 24, 2013

plastic is good

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phoenixan posted:

actually considering getting one if apple replaces the function keys with a touchbar like rumored lol

the worst case scenario for me if the new MBP is a shitshow is buying a mid 2015 15" rMBP :shrug:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

what

it looks like creaky plasticky poo poo
it is a big sheet of carbon fiber and glass sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum
go to the microsoft store in the mall and take it for a spin

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
friends don't let friends buy non-apple laptops

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

which would matter if any of you were my friends so gently caress it, enjoy your synaptics touchpad lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
how the gently caress are you supposed to right-click a thing in the start menu in windows 10 and run as a different user. why did they get rid of that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

how the gently caress are you supposed to right-click a thing in the start menu in windows 10 and run as a different user. why did they get rid of that.

Right click: More > Run as different user

If it's not there, Settings: Update & security > For developers > Windows Explorer - Change policy to show Run as different user in Start

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Right click: More > Run as different user

If it's not there, Settings: Update & security > For developers > Windows Explorer - Change policy to show Run as different user in Start
i don't think that option is exposed until the anniversary update so i just changed the group policy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Phoenixan posted:

ahahahaha

yeah let's do that one pants-on-head retarded thing that Lenovo did with their flagship ~*ultrabooks*~ for one generation and then hastily reverted (I'd replace mine on account of this except if I'm going to drop four and a half figgies on a laptop then I'm going to suffer this loving thing for at least three years before replacing it and right now I'm almost two years deep. That capacitive touch strip and the 8GB of RAM aside though everything else about this laptop is great. Maybe a microSD slot might have been nice?)

They could at least emulate the good innovations on that thing, like turning Caps Lock into a vertically split Home/End key pair.

Or they could even go one step beyond and just not have a right Shift key and instead have the arrow keys not be fun-sized.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

lol this is so cute. "no.. nooo.. I'm not poor... see I like apple!!"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

is there even an Apple Store in Maine, Shaggar, or do you have to go down to Boston to get your iPhones

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Mr Dog posted:

ahahahaha

yeah let's do that one pants-on-head retarded thing that Lenovo did with their flagship ~*ultrabooks*~ for one generation and then hastily reverted (I'd replace mine on account of this except if I'm going to drop four and a half figgies on a laptop then I'm going to suffer this loving thing for at least three years before replacing it and right now I'm almost two years deep. That capacitive touch strip and the 8GB of RAM aside though everything else about this laptop is great. Maybe a microSD slot might have been nice?)

They could at least emulate the good innovations on that thing, like turning Caps Lock into a vertically split Home/End key pair.

Or they could even go one step beyond and just not have a right Shift key and instead have the arrow keys not be fun-sized.
i like osx and all but i have a hole burning through my pocket after getting a new job and osx isn't good enough to make me endure dumbass hardware design decisions for 3-4 years after purchase

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr Dog posted:

nooo, don't remove the right shift, i use it all the time. agreed on the arrow keys, though.

also my work laptop has a numpad for some reason.
and page up and page down on the left and right side of the up arrow, so i press page up all the time when i'm tryng to press shift :saddowns:

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

uncurable mlady posted:

wow we get it, you only recommend laptops to your mom

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr Dog posted:

gee wonder why apple is eating everyone's lunch in the high end market segment

because netbooks taught everyone that pc laptops should be $400

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

nooo, don't remove the right shift, i use it all the time. agreed on the arrow keys, though.

also my work laptop has a numpad for some reason.
and page up and page down on the left and right side of the up arrow, so i press page up all the time when i'm tryng to press shift :saddowns:

sup thinkpad w540 user

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

sup thinkpad w540 user

it's some kind of a dell

the mouse options are the best: you have a touchpad, and a "pointing stick", the touchpad has two buttons on the bottom and three on top, with the middle one being used for scrolling with the "pointing stick"

also for some reason the area around the keyboard is rubber coated, so wiping away dust is really hard because it sticks to the surface.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

is there even an Apple Store in Maine, Shaggar, or do you have to go down to Boston to get your iPhones

there is but who shops brick and mortar in 2016? also who buys apple products post-iphone 4s?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Phoenixan posted:

i like osx and all but i have a hole burning through my pocket after getting a new job and osx isn't good enough to make me endure dumbass hardware design decisions for 3-4 years after purchase

but what about apple's legendary quality?

gpu failures and overheating issues for years, because qc is hard and we can't be bothered to train people to apply thermal paste

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

but what about apple's legendary quality?

gpu failures and overheating issues for years, because qc is hard and we can't be bothered to train people to apply thermal paste

you're holding it wrong

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the stanford shopping mall has a michaelsoft store that's trying as hard as it can to look like the apple store nearby

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the stanford shopping mall has a michaelsoft store that's trying as hard as it can to look like the apple store nearby

they all try in their own way but they always miss the main visual detail

customers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all the ms stores look like that

except for the complete lack of customers

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chris Knight posted:

all the ms stores look like that

except for the complete lack of customers

lol that there are others in existence

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sigh.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Perseid meteor shower tonight, we have a kayak trip planned to watch from a local lake at midnight :munch:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

didn't it change to that months ago?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

Perseid meteor shower tonight, we have a kayak trip planned to watch from a local lake at midnight :munch:

awesome

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
how come you can have the taskbar open on multiple monitors but you can only pin icons to the taskbar on the primary display

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

dang, cancelled, too cloudy on the East coast, news reports West coast is fairing better.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

anthonypants posted:

how come you can have the taskbar open on multiple monitors but you can only pin icons to the taskbar on the primary display
How come there's no clock on the second task bar

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Microsoft proving its inferiority to android in the realm of numbers of clocks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cardboard Box A posted:

it's there on mine idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
can bash on windows not access mounted network drives or do you have to mount them as cifs shares or something inside of bash because lol

• Locked thread