Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

sector_corrector posted:

It would be interesting, and perhaps terrible, to see a designer boardgame made explicitly for sexual purposes. Didn't the CAH dinguses do something like that?

Leigh and Quinns did an article dissecting the idea of gamifying sex. They conclude you likely end up with a boring game or with boring sex.

Not quite what you're asking about but related, Naomi Watts of DeadPixel.co designed an art game about negotiating sexual consent with an alien who doesn't speak earth-languages. I can see it having a parallel purpose to video games like Radiator 2 or Consensual Torture Simulator, in that it explores ideas of consent, care, patience, and nonverbal communication. Which are all very important to a healthy bedroom (or gently caress-dungeon, whatever works for you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also regarding EXCEED art, there was a thread that Brad talked pretty extensively about back on BGG here - was trying to find it and managed to dig it up. The main conclusion is that he was pretty on the fence about the art but went with it because the license was good (and there exists worse art that was explicitly vetoed, which is saying something about the RH guys) but also that the boxes are grouped such that the worst of it is in boxes 1-2 so 3-4 are generally better-represented. Box 2 in particular is pretty clearly a dumping ground.

On the other hand, I think art is something that Brad really doesn't like to get involved with. He's clearly got his own designs, and when working with pre-existing designs he just kinda rolls with it and tries to use them all-in whether they are good or bad. His own designs are generally tasteful and well-represented, but with the EXCEED stuff it didn't work out nearly as well.

Mostly I'm hoping for a Season 2 with a better IP so we can work on refining mechanics and get better art across the board.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 10, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutter Owl posted:

Leigh and Quinns did an article dissecting the idea of gamifying sex. They conclude you likely end up with a boring game or with boring sex.

Not quite what you're asking about but related, Naomi Watts of DeadPixel.co designed an art game about negotiating sexual consent with an alien who doesn't speak earth-languages. I can see it having a parallel purpose to video games like Radiator 2 or Consensual Torture Simulator, in that it explores ideas of consent, care, patience, and nonverbal communication. Which are all very important to a healthy bedroom (or gently caress-dungeon, whatever works for you).

SUSD also did a podcast about Consentacle if you want to hear people talk about it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gutter Owl posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PBS Newshour posted:

Rutibex, please stop accusing the orgy of always ending in kingmaking

But it does, there's always one player who decides who gets to come first.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The scourge of roll and move games rears its ugly head again.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
That Exceed art, particularly Eva, is really gross.

Rutibex posted:

It is nice you can enjoy a healthy sex life and also judge others for what they enjoy. A very privileged position even. I'm sure lots of fat awkward nerds are getting invited to the sex dungeon to work out those frustrations just like you :rolleyes:

If I've learned anything in my 33 years, it's that anyone can find someone to gently caress them. Anyone. Regardless of what they look like, or what they're into. It may be harder for some people (and never just because of 'fat' or 'awkward'), but they can absolutely find someone.

And while I've never been in a sex dungeon, I get the impression that they're very open to all types (unless you're genuinely dangerous).

Some Numbers posted:

Gutter Owl is the hero this thread needs.

Does that mean that Rutibex is the troll we deserve?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

It would be interesting, and perhaps terrible, to see a designer boardgame made explicitly for sexual purposes. Didn't the CAH dinguses do something like that?

Back in the 90s CCG boom there was a CCG based on the XXXenophile adult comic Phil Foglio did(/does?). My understanding was that it was basically a particularly elaborate version of something like strip poker, but I was too young to buy or play it myself and the gaming group where I heard about it was all ages and largely male so it never got played there, period.

(They later did a Girl Genius card game using some of the core mechanics that was not X-rated. No idea if either were any good.)

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

I have me a riotous little giggle every time Ruti goes on about us anti-cheesecake folks being "puritans" or "prudes."

Cuz I'll be real with you, boardgoons: I'm a goddamned card-carrying pervo slut. I've been to more weird gently caress-parties than I've been to gaming conventions, and I worked in the industry for five years. (I have a funny story that involves both a tragic anonymous handjob and cheating at Warhammer. Ask me in PMs!) And god drat, I love titties as much as the next raging mostly-lesbian.

But see, there's a time and a place for it, y'know? You go to a party, you strip down and shackle up for a couple hours, and then you get dressed and go back to being an adult with a career and a really boring blog, probably. Sex is a vital part of life, but it's a part of life. And the problem with obnoxious cheesecake is the goddamned pervasiveness of it, in places where it really doesn't need to be. And the message that pervasive, invasive sexualization sends to women is, We have no interest in you beyond the sexual. Regardless of situation, circumstance, all we are interested in is the parts of you we can stick a dick in. And the message it sends to the presumed straight male teenager target audience is This view of women-as-objects is justified. Women ARE just convenient boob-racks. Keep going, champ. We're with you.

Y'know what it's like? So I was part of this fetish club in Tucson for a while, hence the parties. And there was this one older gal, mid 40s, who was kind of all over everyone always. And hey, at a party full of consensually naked people, rock on within bounds of asked-for permission, you crazy diamond. Anyway, one weekend I'm working a booth at Pride in the Desert with this drag-and-burlesque company I used to do sound and lighting for. And this gal sees me outside the booth and decides right then and there that grinding on my leg would be an appropriate greeting. And I'm like, what the actual gently caress? I'm at work. In public. In front of my boss, ffs. I was not consenting, yo.

That's what obnoxious cheesecake in my game art feels like. It feels like someone trying to grind on me, when uh excuse me, I'm busy right now, and also you're embarrassing me?

Same

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

foxxtrot posted:

Does that mean that Rutibex is the troll we deserve?

Pretty much.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

malkav11 posted:

(They later did a Girl Genius card game using some of the core mechanics that was not X-rated. No idea if either were any good.)

I played this once literally ten years ago, and didn't think much of it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just played my first game of Dead of Winter, and... I dig it, but something about it felt a little slow. It might have been that nobody had the betrayal secret objective, but does the game usually feel pretty tense throughout? We had one experienced player who made it sound like usually he was in much more dire straights by the end of the game, but I'm not sure how different the game could have been for us.

Admittedly, we did a short simple scenario (the intro one) and didn't have that many Crossroads cards come up, but still...

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

MockingQuantum posted:

Just played my first game of Dead of Winter, and... I dig it, but something about it felt a little slow. It might have been that nobody had the betrayal secret objective, but does the game usually feel pretty tense throughout? We had one experienced player who made it sound like usually he was in much more dire straights by the end of the game, but I'm not sure how different the game could have been for us.

Admittedly, we did a short simple scenario (the intro one) and didn't have that many Crossroads cards come up, but still...

Hahahahahaha.

Get ready here comes the thread

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

didn't have that many Crossroads cards come up, but still...

This is all the games of Dead of Winter, except in the parallel universes where they thought about the game a little more before sending it to the printer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

It's the least consistent trash balance ever. My first play was great, every other one was poo poo.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

homullus posted:

This is all the games of Dead of Winter, except in the parallel universes where they thought about the game a little more before sending it to the printer.

Yeah, the few Crossroads cards I saw were either hilariously conditional, or totally guaranteed to happen. It's probably the biggest let-down of the game for me, I don't care a lot for elements of games that exist purely to gently caress you over, regardless of how well you feel like you prepared for it (or not).

Also we drew some crossroad card with Cindy on it, and our veteran player audibly groaned when it came up, so I guess that's a thing?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

malkav11 posted:

I played this. It was pretty good! Kind of fun and a little puzzley.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Aw come on, that's not even a funny redtext

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

and whoever bought it doesn't know how to use commas

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The coolest snippy titles are the ones you keep forever, from long-dead subforums

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol I didn't even notice! I have avatars off (so that I don't have to load a million animated .gif on my phone)
:laugh:
It's not even close to the worst red title I have got.
Edit: I do take exception to being called a "thief" copyright infringement isn't a crime it is a civil matter :colbert:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 11, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bottom Liner posted:

and whoever bought it doesn't know how to use commas

agreed, oxford comma for life

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Rutibex posted:

Edit: I do take exception to being called a "thief" copyright infringement isn't a crime it is a civil matter :colbert:

You can be a thief without being a criminal.

Why am I engaging?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

foxxtrot posted:

Why am I engaging?

You are fasinating and open
You are in Star Fleet
You are in love and want to marry

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

foxxtrot posted:

Why am I engaging?

I'm more of a Wizard

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Finally got to play Spartacus and I love it. Took a whole the first time to learn all the rules but the second game went by a lot quicker I felt.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

PBS Newshour posted:

You are fasinating and open
You are in Star Fleet
You are in love and want to marry

I see someone else has been watching the $100,000 Pyramid reboot

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I like titties on boardgames becaus I jack off when playing them

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

ETB posted:

Splotter's next big hit: Boob Chain Magnate.

A few games ago I went with a Hooters strategy and got all the waitresses, along with high enough management to play them all at once. I didn't win.

In other news, Scythe is cool and good and has great artwork. Also the encounter cards are what the Crossroad cards from Dead of Winter wished they were. Our first play-through took a little bit longer than I had anticipated, but I think future plays will be quicker as we become more accustomed to all the actions.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
In Cuba Libre, if an event tells a non-player faction to free march then free rally in one march destination, but the flowchart for march results in no destinations being chosen, will the faction just randomly pick a province to make a march destination, move no troops, then free rally there, choosing among the spaces that will give it the best Rally possible? Or will it do Ops instead, as it is an "ineffective event"?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I played Voyages of Marco Polo twice this weekend. I think this is the best game to come out in 2015. It's got a lot of room to strategize, but tactical play is also very important, plus the randomized city cards and the high-powered characters make each game require a different approach. It kinda has the Dominion or Terra Mystica thing where you're presented with the randomized setup at the beginning and try to figure out what the best route to victory is, but that (like Terra Mystica) is modified by what character you have, yet (unlike Terra Mystica) there are probably multiple viable approaches that could lead to a win. I think this game will still be getting played years down the line, and hope it sees more recognition now that it's available again in English.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I just played a round of Scythe with the Nordic, Crimean, and Rusviet factions, playing all 3 myself. I tried to play Rusviet with the allegedly "broken" strategy and they came in last. Maybe I did it wrong or it only works if the other players don't expect it. It did create a situation where I was afraid to attack first with any of the sides (including Rusviet) until I saw an unexpected opening for Crimea.

Also, why does everyone think you need to get riverwalk ASAP? Some of the other travel methods seem much more useful.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Riverwalk is the most "obvious" movement ability, and everyone has some variation on it. So it's almost always the one that people hear about first.

For a number of factions though, either the mine (if you have easier access to wood than to metal) or the faction-specific movement ability is IMO a much better way of getting into the mainland.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jimbozig posted:

In Cuba Libre, if an event tells a non-player faction to free march then free rally in one march destination, but the flowchart for march results in no destinations being chosen, will the faction just randomly pick a province to make a march destination, move no troops, then free rally there, choosing among the spaces that will give it the best Rally possible? Or will it do Ops instead, as it is an "ineffective event"?

It will continue down the random spaces chart until it finds a suitable location to March. There are probably only one or two eligible locations, so a 50:50 die roll can suffice. If there are no locations suitable, it will choose to take the event to maximize the effect, so it will rally in place. If it cannot do either of these, the event is considered "no effect" and the bot will choose an op+SA instead.

E: in this instance, you can ignore the locations a faction would normally March to, because it will immediately rally in that space, superseding normal bot considerations. Instead you only want to focus on eligible March locations. As such, any of the factions pieces will be eligible for this event, as they can all March to an adjacent location. Use the random spaces chart to choose the March location of the eligible spaces.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 11, 2016

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What's this thread take on Assault on Doomrock and Darkest Night?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Azran posted:

What's this thread take on Assault on Doomrock and Darkest Night?

Darkest Night is bad games. Well designed in the sense that a lot of effort clearly went into coming up with how the various mechanics interact and making each of the characters play differently, but the gameplay always breaks down to "roll a d6, on 1-4 do nothing or worse."

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I feared that would be the case. I mean, why didn't they go with 2d6 or something? Oh well, it's a shame because the game itself looks professional as hell art-wise.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I thought the art was basically the developers and their friends cosplaying, which is charming in a goofy kind of way, but to each their own.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Finally got to play Spartacus and I love it. Took a whole the first time to learn all the rules but the second game went by a lot quicker I felt.

If you get a chance, try it with the most recent expansion. Something something blood (I honestly can't remember).

I liked the game at first but soured on it quickly once it became clear that the arena combat has a lot of fiddly mechanics and really unthematic strategies. The first expansion introduced a 2v2 primus that was fun but basically never triggered. The newest expansion kept the primus but added festival intrigue cards that force the 2v2 with special rules such as 'only slaves', '2vs1', 'slave and gladiator' etc.

The variance due to festivals means that a lot of the old standby bullshit doesn't work as well, and combat stops being the worst part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I thought the art was basically the developers and their friends cosplaying, which is charming in a goofy kind of way, but to each their own.

What? Are you thinking of A Touch of Evil and Flying Frog Games in general? Darkest Night has some really good and suitably bleak art, or at least the first edition does, I don't know about the second edition.