Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

The Xi honestly shouldn't be too ugly-cool. That's what the Penelope is for. The Xi is supposed to be a refined, perfected, and stylish showcase of all its new tech. That's what makes its ugly, busy design stand out even more.

The Xi isn't really supposed to be a refined or perfected version, it's just the next step in the tech tree by having the flight unit built into the robot rather than as an add-on. The two robots have similar loadouts and capabilities otherwise. The Victory gundams are where the technology is actually perfected.

Of course, the fact that it makes sense doesn't stop it from looking like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I have a soft spot for the Xi because it’s pretty much the Zeorymer, but in terms of the “completely bulky monstrosity” aesthetic, I feel like the Ex-S pulled that off the best off of the top of my head

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MechaX posted:

I have a soft spot for the Xi because it’s pretty much the Zeorymer, but in terms of the “completely bulky monstrosity” aesthetic, I feel like the Ex-S pulled that off the best off of the top of my head

I'm not a fan of the design but yeah the Ex-S is about as far as you can go without hitting the "should just be a spaceship at this point" zone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd work better if one of the two was comprehensible and they were visually distinct from each other.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, I'm reaching the point of being a Gundam fan where I see a cool MS and my first thought is "Want that gunpla"

Alex is like 43 bucks on Amazon....

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no, I'm reaching the point of being a Gundam fan where I see a cool MS and my first thought is "Want that gunpla"

Alex is like 43 bucks on Amazon....

Buy the master grade. It's excellent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's like a hundred thirty! I haven't even built a proper HG yet!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cleretic posted:

There's some skill required to make a good 'ugly cool' mechanical design, that's simultaneously cool to the audience while clearly being a total mess in-universe, and the hardest part is that if you fail at the latter you also fail at the former, which is what happened with the Xi.

The Zeong, the Tieren from 00, most of the non-star designs from Turn-A, they nail the 'I love this terrible piece of poo poo' look that the Xi failed at.

I don't think I'd agree most of those are supposed to be viewed as messes in-universe. The Zeong maybe, though only insofar as "incomplete" counts as "a mess", which is kind of an odd way to define it in my opinion, but I don't think the Tieren or any of the non-star designs from Turn A are supposed to be viewed in universe as a mess. I'd think they're meant to be viewed more as designs focused on practicality and function first and foremost, rather than aesthetics; ugly perhaps, but not messy. Which isn't really the same thing.

Yinlock posted:

The Xi isn't really supposed to be a refined or perfected version, it's just the next step in the tech tree by having the flight unit built into the robot rather than as an add-on. The two robots have similar loadouts and capabilities otherwise. The Victory gundams are where the technology is actually perfected.

Of course, the fact that it makes sense doesn't stop it from looking like rear end.

I don't think this is quite true, or at least, it may not have been meant to be true originally. If you remember the G40 animation for a year or two back with wheel shaped colonies and Zaku II's invading a colony as Amuro's mom encourages him to board the Gundam, the director, Kou Matsuo, said he talked to Tomino when designing the technology of the piece, because he thought that it should be more advanced to differtiate things and when he asked Tomino about minovsky flight, Tomino said that the F91 was supposed to be capable of it. I don't know if Sunrise considers that true in universe, or if Tomino's intentions got lost, but that information that had been floating around for years on the Japanese side, without anyone really talking about it within the English fandom, since it was apparently included in an F91 databook (MS Memoirs) or something back in 1999, and has even been on the Japanese Wikipedia article for years.

[

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no, we've given the drat kid PTSD. Great job, Bernie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

That's like a hundred thirty! I haven't even built a proper HG yet!

If you look on HLJ it's only $46 USD. I'd just recommend the MG because the HG Alex is absolutely ancient at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looks like it's also on back order. I know I kinda wanna do another Gunpla, but I'm not sure what, if any, I wanna do before the HG Aerial comes out.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

I don't think this is quite true, or at least, it may not have been meant to be true originally. If you remember the G40 animation for a year or two back with wheel shaped colonies and Zaku II's invading a colony as Amuro's mom encourages him to board the Gundam, the director, Kou Matsuo, said he talked to Tomino when designing the technology of the piece, because he thought that it should be more advanced to differtiate things and when he asked Tomino about minovsky flight, Tomino said that the F91 was supposed to be capable of it. I don't know if Sunrise considers that true in universe, or if Tomino's intentions got lost, but that information that had been floating around for years on the Japanese side, without anyone really talking about it within the English fandom, since it was apparently included in an F91 databook (MS Memoirs) or something back in 1999, and has even been on the Japanese Wikipedia article for years.

[

Whatever Tomino's intentions were, what actually happened was that it was perfected with the Victory gundams.

Well and, according to the wiki, some f91 spinoff manga that just "lost" all the wings-of-light related data, and every mech, and every spare part for those mechs. I refuse to count that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Penelope/Xi/F91 etc. style of flight is somewhat different to the Victory line, specifically the V2. The Xi etc. use a Minovsky Flight unit that creates Minovsky fields to float on, but require thrusters to push them in any particular direction. This technology is basically an attempt to miniaturize the Minovsky Craft engine first used in the White Base, because that provides it's own thrust as well as cushioning. That isn't realized until the V2 though. Which requires significantly less thrust from fewer dedicated thrusters than even the normal V to achieve higher speed, because the Minovsky Craft engine does that instead.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

The Penelope/Xi/F91 etc. style of flight is somewhat different to the Victory line, specifically the V2. The Xi etc. use a Minovsky Flight unit that creates Minovsky fields to float on, but require thrusters to push them in any particular direction. This technology is basically an attempt to miniaturize the Minovsky Craft engine first used in the White Base, because that provides it's own thrust as well as cushioning. That isn't realized until the V2 though. Which requires significantly less thrust from fewer dedicated thrusters than even the normal V to achieve higher speed, because the Minovsky Craft engine does that instead.

Yes, it's a clear tech line that ends at the Victory Gundams, specifically the V2 as you said.

Though the Wings of Light themselves are basically magic with how much bullshit they can do

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

War in the Pocket was sad :(

Now I gotta finish 0083, then decide what I wanna watch next. Maybe either Zeta or G Gundam which I have somehow never actually seen in full.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Take a break from the UC and go G.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watch Zeta

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

tsob posted:

I don't think I'd agree most of those are supposed to be viewed as messes in-universe. The Zeong maybe, though only insofar as "incomplete" counts as "a mess", which is kind of an odd way to define it in my opinion, but I don't think the Tieren or any of the non-star designs from Turn A are supposed to be viewed in universe as a mess. I'd think they're meant to be viewed more as designs focused on practicality and function first and foremost, rather than aesthetics; ugly perhaps, but not messy. Which isn't really the same thing.

Perhaps I did the initial wording wrong. But all of those suits at least in my mind fill the role of 'these are deliberately supposed to look weird and terrible while still finding a way to be cool'. It's just that for the most part when Gundam goes for that sort of design they're usually casting them as the 'old clunkers', the stuff that's outclassed to hell by the new hotness (which is usually Gundams).

The Xi and the Zeong come at the same sphere from a different direction, reflecting an unrefined and messy new thing rather than an old thing. It's late here and I'm struggling to find the words for how they're similar, but I guess I'd say that both kinds excel when they have a clear visual purpose; function clearly coming far before form as you said, but in a way that still gives them a cool design. To that end, the Xi fails because while it's kinda supposed to look like a purely practical piece of hardware to the point of clunkiness, it just doesn't come across.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Midjack posted:

Take a break from the UC and go G.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I vote G. Get something a bit more upbeat to go with War in the Pocket as a balancer, rather than double down on misery.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, this is an OVA from the 90s, so we have to have a shower scene.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
0083 and Z are kind of a star wars prequel situation, I never really thought about what the better watch order is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Z first is better. Seeing axis in Z is better without the tease, and your imaginations path from MSG to Z is always going to be better than the nonsensical and melodramatic path taken in 0083

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there is never a question of watch order, it is always just follow production order

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

there is never a question of watch order, it is always just follow production order

it's this. regardless of where it fits in the in universe chronology, if another show was made first then that's what the newer show exists in the context of. whatever connection between them, the older show did not expect viewers to have seen something that didn't exist yet, while the newer show does/might

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm not loving 0083 enough that I wouldn't mind popping away from it for a bit. I'll check out the beginnings of both Zeta and G.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also in the context of Gundam, production order does not need to be the monumental thing it may seem of All Gundam. obv it only matters when progressing along the UC timeline or within a given AU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Production order really only matters for UC because none of the other alternate universes have the longevity for you to need awareness of earlier shows. Apart from maybe the SD shows but most of them suck.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

which ones don't suck?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SD Gundam Force is easily top five Gundam if not number one.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I'm not loving 0083 enough that I wouldn't mind popping away from it for a bit. I'll check out the beginnings of both Zeta and G.

Zeta and G are both fuckin awesome in completely different ways, 0083 is pretty mediocre except for the absolute bangers in the sound track.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mostly picked 0083 up because I liked The Winner lol

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
If you're watching the English dub make sure to look up the first OP for zeta gundam, the English one is pretty lame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

When one sees how the posters do as they please with Gundam recommendations it becomes apparent that they are more depraved then the Zabi family ever was!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tired gay and dead posted:

If you're watching the English dub make sure to look up the first OP for zeta gundam, the English one is pretty lame.

I mean the english one is fine but it doesn't go full 80s like the original OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZVb9IggJQ

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Tell me more

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah, this is an OVA from the 90s, so we have to have a shower scene.

0079 and zeta also have this it’s a thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

tired gay and dead posted:

I've seen a diversity of opinions on this over the years.

The second Zeta OP is legit very good but the first one is....just kinda cheesy fun. But the dub OP of simply using one of the best songs from Zeta's awesome OST makes sense.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Turn A has a good shower scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have gotten into Gunpla. Ordered Barbados Lupus Rex, Kimaris Vidar, OG Gundam, and Char’s Zaku II