Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Maybe im just weird, but I think I would be happy to pay off my spouse's loans with a windfall like that?
Depending on what the interest rates are on the loans, how much left there is to pay off, and if you're able to afford the payments, it may well make sense not to pay off the loans but invest the inheritence. Especially with the current talk about student loan forgiveness.

But sure, if your loans are burdensome and the payments are making it difficult for your family to live month-to-month, sure, it's not an unreasonable discussion to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
RIP chook.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

RIP chicken. Thought of moving and died.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Benagain posted:

in respect, we need to permanently retire baffled yelling chicken as a forums name.

also her jersey number, 420

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splicer posted:

This chicken died today and I am destroyed.

I'm sorry to hear of the chicken loss. Was it a breed from Thailand, perhaps? Thai Yelling Chicken Round The Old Oak Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxG9XFqHSFw

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Pleads posted:

Rest in peace, baffled yelling chicken

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Benagain posted:

Marinara is called sailor style sauce because it's gay as hell

Oh ok I believe that one

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Depending on what the interest rates are on the loans, how much left there is to pay off, and if you're able to afford the payments, it may well make sense not to pay off the loans but invest the inheritence. Especially with the current talk about student loan forgiveness.

But sure, if your loans are burdensome and the payments are making it difficult for your family to live month-to-month, sure, it's not an unreasonable discussion to have.

Oh for sure, but the impulse to help with a burden and having the resources to do so is what I meant. That the burden is student loans is tangential.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks everyone. She was a good chicken and very much herself.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Oh for sure, but the impulse to help with a burden and having the resources to do so is what I meant. That the burden is student loans is tangential.

There are two separate discussions here:

(a) How are two partners, especially when one of them is the only one earning income, going to share income and assets.
(b) What's the financially optimal asset allocation within the framework of (a)

They never answered the first question, asking about interest rates is putting the cart ahead of the horse.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are two separate discussions here:

(a) How are two partners, especially when one of them is the only one earning income, going to share income and assets.
(b) What's the financially optimal asset allocation within the framework of (a)

They never answered the first question, asking about interest rates is putting the cart ahead of the horse.

Are we healthy adults in a stable relationship? Because then the answer to a and b are likely the same, and it's an equal partnership.

Are we people who post on reddit? Then the answer to a and b is still the same and the answer is https://i.imgur.com/kIO7Y8F.gifv

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for getting upset that my fiance paid for most of his brother's trip?

quote:

I'm (26F) engaged to 'Mike' (30M). We each have funds for the wedding and honeymoon (splitting 50/50). I mentioned a few times I would love to go somewhere in Europe for our honeymoon. Mike agreed initially, but then said that we couldn't afford to go to Europe and to pick somewhere closer. I thought we both had a decent amount of money set aside, but Mike said with the wedding and honeymoon costs, it'd be too high and he needed to lower the budget and I should lower my end too, unless I want to cover the rest. I have a good job and can afford to splurge a little, so I said it's fine, we'll go to Europe and I'll cover most of it (we haven't booked anything yet btw)

A few days ago, we went on a double date with Mike's brother 'Gary' (32M) and his gf 'Steph' (24F). Steph said she and Gary were going on a trip to France, first class plane, the works. Now as far as I know, Gary has an average salary and Steph doesn't work. I thought maybe they had extra savings or something, none of my business but then Steph said it was so nice of Mike to sponsor their trip. I was shocked. I asked Mike and he replied that yes, he paid for their plane tickets and hotel and that they deserved a nice holiday. I said that money was meant to go towards out honeymoon, to which Mike said that I'd agreed to cover it and if not, we can go somewhere cheaper. Gary then chimed in and said he's Mike's brother and he was just helping out him and Steph. I told Mike that he'd disrespected us by giving that money for Gary's trip. Mike then said it's none of my business how he spends his money and both Gary and Steph started saying I was being controlling. I got really upset and felt like crying, so I left. Mike came home later and said that I'd embarrassed him by creating a scene in front of Gary and Steph and I was greedy. I said I needed to clear my head, so I'm now staying over at my cousin's place. Was I being greedy and controlling?

Nah we can't afford to Europe, we can only afford to send my brother and his girlfriend first class to europe. Unless you pay.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hughlander posted:

Nah we can't afford to Europe, we can only afford to send my brother and his girlfriend first class to europe. Unless you pay.

My wife and I were only able to afford a week at a family member’s beach cabin for our honeymoon but if this had happened I think she would have murdered me and rightfully so.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

It's nice when they reveal themselves just a bit too early, hopefully this was followed by OP wishing Mike a nice life and then having a good time in Europe on their own.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hughlander posted:

my older brother and his girlfriend that's younger than you deserve to go on a nice trip, unlike you

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Funktastic posted:

WIBTA if I failed my student because she speaks with different dialect than I teach (language degree)?

A happy ending! I like it when people learn and grow.

UPDATE: WIBTA if I failed my student because she speaks with different dialect than I teach (language degree)?

quote:

I figured that those who read the post would appreciate an update regarding the student you tried to protect.

I read your comments and you’re right, I would’ve been an rear end if I failed her.

Her pronunciation is excellent and it would be a shame to force her to change it. I made my decision and I think you’ll be happy to find out what it was and how her exam went.

Had a chat with Ava and told her how well she’s done this year. I explained that students are taught specific pronunciation but there’s no correct/incorrect accent and we will not expect her to change it seeing how well she’s doing. But since we teach certain pronunciation, she’s expected to know pronunciation rules we teach and told her to just know the difference in pronunciation without actually having to implement it.

During her exam, she was asked a few questions regarding pronunciation differences and the rest was just the standard exam conversation and presentation. She was marked based on the dialect she speaks.

She passed with flying colors and, she doesn’t know it yet, but will receive scholarship next year for her grades. And going forward, we’ll make sure that students who speak with different dialect will get full grades as long as they know the differences in pronunciation between regions (which we require anyway but wasn’t part of the exam).

And Splicer, I know I'm way late, but I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken. And I'm very happy that she will live on in the thread title.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Double post, but I couldn't not post this one!

Wanked in the hotel pool, caught, wonder what the consequences are?

quote:

Ok this sounds fake but I am freaking out a little and need to get some advice. Would like to preface this with I am a loving idiot but I will give context.

So I essentially moved from another country and am staying at my friends on an air mattress in his flat, think big sky scraper apartment unit in Australia. Now I haven't had any privacy from the roommates and was getting you can say a little bit frustrated from this. My friend had said that he would think it was disrespectful to pleasure myself in his flat and I agreed, he's letting me stay here it would be a little weird if I nutted in his flat. Before I left my home country, I was chatting to some girl that I've been getting along with. I was on my way up to have a nice relaxing spa when I was messaging her and things got a little frisky. I was in the spa and she was sending me some quite perverted messages, the bubbles were on there was no one around and I had a little feely feel about. Pretty shameful and understandingly stupid but I hadn't pleasured myself for 2 weeks til this point and I lost control. I made sure to check for cameras but I couldn't see any and I did not ejaculate but overall was probably pleasuring myself for 7 minutes in total.

I thought nothing of it until the guy I am staying with got an email from the property manager saying that due to an incident in the spa that day that the spa would be closed to all residents. I freaked out a little bit and told the mate I'm staying with what had happened. Then 3 days later my friend got an email from property manager that they wanted an in person meet up as there was a situation in the spa. I guess there must have been a security camera gently caress hahaha. My friend called him and said that the guy staying with him (me) was really embarrassed and sorry and he said that we'd have a meeting on Tuesday morning to discuss the repercussions. He was very vague on the phone and said that they would be expensive.

Now I recently moved over here, limited cash and no job and I am freaking out over the fact that this guy could technically say any number and I would have to pay it. I can't leave and stay at a hotel or something because then my friend who has been really kind with me staying here would have to pay for it. I called a spa cleaning service giving the dimensions of the pool (5m in diameter) and he said that it would cost around $1000AUD for a deep chemical clean and refill (which is what they did for this pool) which is already really painful but I just want to know my rights going into this meeting on Tuesday morning so that he can't make me pay out my whole life savings or something. I'm very anxious about it so I wanted to know, if I have feet to stand on if I say I didn't nut? They said over the phone that they didn't get it tested but had to assume but I feel like that there might be something there? I'm also really worried about the security footage as that is quite damaging and what the privacy content breaches are in case they share it or something (I am very anxious I'm not really sure what I'm thinking). It's more the fact that I have to wait til Tuesday, if someone could calmly tell me the consequences of my action and the things I should say that would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

-A genuine Fuckup

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

Double post, but I couldn't not post this one!

Wanked in the hotel pool, caught, wonder what the consequences are?

The thing that stands out is that the friend knew well enough to say something about his masturbating before OP gets caught masturbating in public. Somehow this doesn't seem like a first offense.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

A happy ending! I like it when people learn and grow.

UPDATE: WIBTA if I failed my student because she speaks with different dialect than I teach (language degree)?

And Splicer, I know I'm way late, but I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken. And I'm very happy that she will live on in the thread title.

oh nice, i like the ones with a happy ending

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for being fed up with my wife not speaking French?

quote:

I'm from Quebec, so I speak French as my native language. I met my wife a few years ago when I was working in Georgia. I learned to speak Georgian because I lived there, but I still learned after we both moved to Britain (we both coincidentally had work in England, only 2 hours apart). While she was living there she learned English. We communicated to each other in Russian. We became close, then married and moved to Quebec.

So my wife's English is much better, we speak to each other in English Russian, occasionally Georgian. However, I've been urging her to learn French for the past 2.5 years we lived here. She hasn't and it's really getting on my nerves.

All the time she calls me because she's dealing with someone who only speaks French. She texts me photos of instructions asking for translations. This has been happening weekly for years and I finally snapped yesterday.

I explained to her that it's bullshit she hasn't learnt french yet when I learned Georgian. Georgian is considered one of the hardest languages in the world while french is quite easy. I'm disappointed she can't communicate with some of my family members. I specifically learned Georgian really well to communicate with hers, I could've relied on Russian and English in Tbilisi.

She told me she's tired of learning languages after learning English and Italian. I told her that she needs to learn French because it's what we speak here. She said she feels tired after working 8 hours. I offered her help, resources and even a community center where immigrants get taught french. It's volunteer run so it's free. My sister teachers there.

She basically said no to that. I decided I'm going to start speaking to my wife in French. I started off with basic things, bonjour, merci, s'il vous plaît, comment ça va, bien, oui, non. She understands those. She's getting annoyed. I told her I'll slowly introduce french words to immerse her. She told me to stop but I won't. If it's something serious I'll say it English Russian or Georgian.

So am I wrong to do this? I love my wife but this is really frustrating

NGL, I said aloud YTA after reading the third word. Then got more and more pissed off as I went along.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I instantly had to look up whether we have a :quebec: smiley and there it is!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

NGL, I said aloud YTA after reading the third word. Then got more and more pissed off as I went along.

well at least he's really speaking french instead of just saying things in a fake french accent

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Hughlander posted:

YTA for being a Quebecker.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Foo Diddley posted:

well at least he's really speaking french instead of just saying things in a fake french accent

I just surprised that he didn't specify Québécois French.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

This is the most Quebec post possible lmao

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

She sounds unhappy as hell in Quebec. And she's only gonna get unhappier with that law that penalizes companies for having non-French-speaking workers. He admits he HAD to learn Georgian to live there, and now he's expecting it of her like it was some drat gift she needs to repay LOL

There's some people from Quebec in the comments getting REAL MAD at people who say they can speak French but can't really understand people from Quebec, too. There's also some mad that she can't just magically understand French because she knows Italian.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

She sounds unhappy as hell in Quebec. And she's only gonna get unhappier with that law that penalizes companies for having non-French-speaking workers. He admits he HAD to learn Georgian to live there, and now he's expecting it of her like it was some drat gift she needs to repay LOL

There's some people from Quebec in the comments getting REAL MAD at people who say they can speak French but can't really understand people from Quebec, too. There's also some mad that she can't just magically understand French because she knows Italian.

They get so mad when actual French people, from France, look at them strangely and say in English "what the gently caress are you speaking?"

It's apparently a peasant farmer equivalent so it's like having a conversation with someone with a thick rural drawl and acting like they have Received Pronunciation.

There's a story about how when they wanted to open up Kentucky Friend Chicken in Quebec, the locals lost their loving minds it wasn't in french (Polle Frit Kentucky) and eventually got their way, meanwhile in France it's KFC.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 28, 2022

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Pleads posted:

Rest in peace, baffled yelling chicken

Sorry for your loss. Chickens do indeed rule x

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

They get so mad when actual French people, from France, look at them strangely and say in English "what the gently caress are you speaking?"

It's apparently a peasant farmer equivalent so it's like having a conversation with someone with a thick rural drawl and acting like they have Received Pronunciation.

That's apparently not uncommon with provincial dialects. The people who moved there in the first place spoke something resembling the metropolitan language at the time, then out of some misplaced pride refuse to update it even as the language changes. Along the same lines, American Southern English supposedly sounds somewhat similar to British English from the 18th century.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think it's "misplaced pride" to not change how you speak your language because some entirely separate people changed how THEY speak the same language.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

I don't think it's "misplaced pride" to not change how you speak your language because some entirely separate people changed how THEY speak the same language.

I would argue it is misplaced when it results in the aggressive chauvinism you see from American Southerners and Quebecois. Afrikaners come to mind too.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 28, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

pentyne posted:

There's a story about how when they wanted to open up Kentucky Friend Chicken in Quebec, the locals lost their loving minds it wasn't in french (Polle Frit Kentucky) and eventually got their way, meanwhile in France it's KFC.

Weird how multiple centuries of assault on your culture by more powerful Anglophones will do that to you...

also

quote:

From 1971 to 2014, it is observed that the EFCs population of Quebec had increased by 0.25% per year from 4.76 to 5.31 million individuals while the total Quebec population's growth was 0.7% per year from 6.03 to 8.21 million people. During these years, it is observed that the EFC DW decreased from 79% in 1971 to 64.5% in 2014 (Figure 3). Immigrants arriving after 1971 and their descendants (IAD) added 1.62 million individuals to Quebec's population and are responsible for 74% of Quebec's population increase during this period.

Anglos are finally gonna get rid of them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Langfocus did a video on the differences between Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese that is pretty interesting.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Jonny Nox posted:

Weird how multiple centuries of assault on your culture by more powerful Anglophones will do that to you...

also

Anglos are finally gonna get rid of them.

Did business with a Quebecian. Perfectly civil and well mannered via email. Called him on phone for final “ok” and they were a huge rear end hole.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

It was explained to me as an adult trying to speak like a kindergartener.

This one to me is interesting when I learned that the ISO standards for localization of languages (How you'll sometimes see EN-US and EN-GB to describe english.) calls pt-br the standard, and pt-pt a variation. But that probably comes from the 200 million people living in Brazil vs 10 million in Portugal. As opposed to Quebec vs France.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jonny Nox posted:

This week Quebec passed Bill 96, which among other things forces Cree and Inuit and other indigenous students to learn French.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for reporting an employee at my gym and getting him fired?

quote:

Let me explain this because I wasnt sure that I did something wrong but some people told me that it might have been too much and Im not sure now.

I(28F) go to a gym kinda close to my house, my(30M) husband doesnt go with me since I go way too early for him and there is one where he works so he goes there, I usually wake up at 6am and get there 6:45am - 7am.

I do not talk to anyone there unless I have to, reception, maybe ask an employee for help, if I see anyone I know which have only happened like twice in the year that I've been going there, this only for context that I am not flirting or anything with anyone there, I am happily married and I go there to workout and leave.

About a month ago, maybe a bit more idk there was a new employee who would always say good morning to me, even if he wasnt in the reception when I got there he would walk next to wherever I was working and day good morning, I would say it back bc well Is called being polite, I never engaged in a conversation with him and I also use my wedding ring everyday.

Well now the issue, to access to the gym you need to put your finger so it can scan your fingerprint and then your picture and info shows on the screen of the reception, last week I got a message from an unknown number asking how I was, etc, when I asked who it was it said it was this guy and that he hoped I wouldnt get upset he took my number from the info, I said I was upset and I am married, he said he saw the ring but wasnt sure so wanted to ask, hmm ok?, I said that I am i fact married and that is why I use a wedding ring and he said ok and stopped texting.

Since I didnt want to walk straight to the manager because he would know it was me and what I was doing I decided to send an email to the gym explaining everything and how I felt my privacy was violated, my husband agreed completely, they sent an email back apologizing and saying they would handle it, the next day I walked to the gym and he wasnt there, I assumed he was fired since the next days he wasnt there either.

We had my BIL and wife and other family members around and we were talking about it and BIL said how lovely that was and I couldnt mess with someone's job like that, the guy apologized and stopped so why did I kept going, some of them agreed with him and other said he was the one messing with his job, not me but now I feel kinda bad I mean he did stop when I said I was married. AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm glad I don't have a background chorus of people in my life constantly berating me on account of other folks doing objectively terrible things

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Mx. posted:

AITA for reporting an employee at my gym and getting him fired?

yeah man never mess with anyone's job it's a huge faux pas. even if they stalk and harass you. just do nothing. and if you have to go in for surgery and the surgeon mistakenly switches your arm and leg just nod sagely. be the bigger person because hey - mistakes happen. suing them for malpractice would be a huge dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm glad I don't have a background chorus of people in my life constantly berating me on account of other folks doing objectively terrible things

yeah that's the part i really don't believe about all these stories: "my MIL slept with my husband, punched me in the face, and burned down the motel i was staying in, and then the whole family called me to tell me to lighten up, why can't you take a joke"

like... come ON