Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the only proper way to leave a job is through a spectacular bankruptcy

all the other ways, possibly excluding going on a killing spree, just feel a bit wishy-washy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the only proper way to leave a job is through a spectacular bankruptcy

all the other ways, possibly excluding going on a killing spree, just feel a bit wishy-washy

same but your mum leaving your dad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JewKiller 3000 posted:

he relented and is gonna release 1.7.1 back to the old version and change the breaking one to 2.0.0

interesting thing he said:

If at this point you're hopping on one foot and saying — wait a minute, Node is 0.x.x — SemVer allows pre-1.0 packages to change anything at any time! You're right! And you're also missing the forest for the trees! Keeping a system that's in heavy production use at pre-1.0 levels for many years is effectively the same thing as not using SemVer in the first place.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Most of the talks from ICFP are up now: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4UWOFngo5DVBqifWX6ZlXJ7idxWaOP69

(tw: functional programming, Haskell, Agda, type theory etc etc)

Connor McBride's is an Agda demonstration and is apparently pretty funny and Kathleen Fisher's talk is on her work at DARPA and is apparently really good, but hasn't been uploaded yet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

brb, just gonna go watch 15 hours of people talking about functional programming

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I watched Connor's and it was a demonstration of encoding the upper and lower bound in the type of an ordered data structure in order to make it impossible to construct instances that violate the invariants. then at the end he uses Agda's case analysis/suggestions feature and, with a few hints, coerced the interpreter to write almost all of a function to insert an element correctly into a 2-3 tree.

while pacing around the stage in bear feet and talking about how much he likes to drink of course

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why would i click on that sry i love functional programming but drat

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Jennifer Hackett's i watched because i know her and her topic* is interesting, Connor's because I like seeing Agda work even if I cba to do it myself and Kathleen Fisher's was linked to me with "this is seriously one of the best talks I've seen at ICFP ever". I'm not going to watch any more than those

*: actually doing some goddamn reasoning about program optimisation (specifically in the context of lazy evaluation) rather than the age old technique of throwing stuff to the wall and seeing what sticks

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i will try the video on laziness. thanks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
hey, i did research six years ago in a language that let you reflect arbitrary dependent information into the type system and hence express ordering bounds on data structures to statically enforce invariants

it's frustrating and a waste of time

welp, that's my story about grad school

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

agda seems neat every time i read stuff about it, but :effort:

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i'm surprised that gui toolkits for functional languages don't make heavy use of markup languages. like, you'd think they would be perfect fits for each other. from what i can gather not even f# and xaml are very seamless.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

heres ur programming optimization pro tip: use fewer instructions

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

are you doing moon power rankings this year btw?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Otto Skorzeny posted:

are you doing moon power rankings this year btw?

moon power rankings?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
count on microsoft on making something awesome like f# and then doing a halfassed job at integrating it with its tools

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

by now you should have realized it is ok if tragedy occurs as long as you still land on your feet

know what's better than landing on ur feet after tragedy

no tragedy to start with

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
test

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
SYNTAX ERROR

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fleshweasel posted:

count on microsoft on copying something awesome like ocaml and then doing a halfassed job at integrating it with their tools

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

wow this is a very bad blog

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

i thought that you used to develop a power rankings algorithm for nfl teams. must have been thinking of some other coc poster

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i have power rankings, they go

gently caress the goddamn seahawks
the glorious forty-niners
the broncos i guess
nc state
gently caress the motherfucking new york football giants forever

i don't need an algorithm for this tho

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
._.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

something something new york jest

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jaff fatwood pissed off the guy who did markdown by building a variant and not bothering to read the licensing terms of markdown

he wanted to call it standard markdown, sent gruber an email asking for permission, and assumed when his dumbass email wasn't responded to that everythign was cool. when he went public with standard markdown, john gruber called him an rear end in a top hat and made him take it down (and also apologize in writing lol). then fatwood thinks "well, I'll just call it common markdown, that'll be ok right?", and being conscientious as always, sends gruber an email and figures gruber's silence means he's cool with common markdown. then gruber told him just stop usign markdown entirely for his lovely new markup standard

now his variant has to be called commonmark lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
who cares about original markdown

isn't it horribly undefined junk?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MeruFM posted:

yeah

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MeruFM posted:

john gruber wants it that way

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Gruber was ready to accept 'Strict Markdown' or 'Pedantic Markdown' but wouldn't allow a better-defined markdown to exist without having a pejorative name attached to it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MononcQc posted:

Gruber was ready to accept 'Strict Markdown' or 'Pedantic Markdown' but wouldn't allow a better-defined markdown to exist without having a pejorative name attached to it.

Yeah, I must say he doesn't come across as the sympathetic one here. Surely Atwood and Co. could have approached him earlier about their 2 year running project to spec out Markdown, though.

Open source conflict resolution, man-child style...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MononcQc posted:

yeh gruber's a giant rear end in a top hat but at the same time fatwood should've learned by now to be conscientious of the licensing terms of other projects.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Yeah there's no surprise here that everyone involved was a clown about it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

on the internet???

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the stakes are so, loving, low

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, I must say he doesn't come across as the sympathetic one here. Surely Atwood and Co. could have approached him earlier about their 2 year running project to spec out Markdown, though.

Open source conflict resolution, man-child style...

They did. Like, a whole bunch of times. He ignored them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Eh, Gruber is a twat, but just come up with your own name for your markup variant and stop trying to piggyback off of success. And don't whine about such petty poo poo publicly.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
more like jonathan schickelgruber imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

Yeah there's no surprise here that everyone involved was a clown about it.

hello coworker buddy