Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Toe Rag posted:

No CHP? Maybe I’m paranoid, but I have been avoiding down there because I feel like an easy target for a ticket for non essential travel.

Is anyone in California actually getting tickets for that? So far in the Bayarrhea to my knowledge they've only gone after the really huge idiots like the people who threw a warehouse party a week after the shelter-in-place started.

Certainly going out and riding your motorcycle by yourself on a deserted road is not contributing to the spread of the virus to any noticeable extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Keegers posted:

What were you on?

Most riders around me are Harley's. My personal ratio is:
Ninja - 1/10 wave back
Tiger 5/10
Vstar - 10/10 (Good thing most of them have bad eyes and don't realize I'm on a "jap crap" vstar)

Yamaha R3. I figured that was why. I’ve gotten poo poo from older guys at work for riding a “crotch rocket.”

A 321cc crotch rocket.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

I like doing 60 these days, it's quieter and I'm only on the motorway for five minutes whether I rush or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:stare: I DID NOT KNOW a Sambar could go that fast at all, let alone loaded down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone saying “crotch rocket” is the number 1 indicator that they don’t know what a crotch rocket actually is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone saying “crotch rocket” is the number 1 indicator that they don’t know what a crotch rocket actually is.
https://i.imgur.com/dcgSd9v.mp4

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 23, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Is anyone in California actually getting tickets for that? So far in the Bayarrhea to my knowledge they've only gone after the really huge idiots like the people who threw a warehouse party a week after the shelter-in-place started.

Certainly going out and riding your motorcycle by yourself on a deserted road is not contributing to the spread of the virus to any noticeable extent.

Yeah only that and some guys doing a beer run in Santa Cruz from like 50 miles away. I agree, riding a motorcycle isn’t contributing to any spread. I thought it was weird that it wasn’t on the “approved outdoor activities” though. Oh well, it’s probably fine. :shobon:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

California Sucks rear end

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's a lot of question marks as to what and where life's gonna look like for me in the next few months to a year. Even my plan of having my own bike again in the fall is a big who knows. But, I just realized it's 2020, which means I should be able to import a 2005 MV Agusta Brutale 750 to Canada from anywhere, so if I'm still here and I'm getting a bike... I can finally own one. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Toe Rag posted:

No CHP? Maybe I’m paranoid, but I have been avoiding down there because I feel like an easy target for a ticket for non essential travel. I was going to go down this weekend or sometime next week but just stick to the county roads.

I had a meeting in San Jose on Monday and was going to take 9/35/84/1 back home but then my coworker showed up and wanted me to show him the warehouse so I spent all day on the freeway :smith:

Saw lots of motorcycles on the road *shrug*. Charged up at the Summit House on 17 and even saw one guy on a sport bike ride up to the restaurant there, take off his Dianese gear, call in an order, wait, receive the order, and start munching it as I finished charging and hit 35.

Coydog posted:

Watched all of this. Great work on the video. I'm glad to have a chance to learn about such a mysterious bike, but god electrics seem like the worst to deal with on a day to day. Having a 1 or 2 gallon tank in a motorcycle drives me up the wall with worry about range, and that's generous compared to life with charging.

Just LMAO when you add that the bike sometimes decides to fake out and not charge.

Glad you enjoyed it! I actually love electric bikes. We're really nitpicking about the problems on the LiveWire. You'll very quickly learn what your range is and become aware of all stations in your area. I urge everyone to at least do a test ride of any of the big 3 manufacturers. It will bring a loving grin to your face.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That reminds me, went to my local dealer and they had the full Zero lineup in stock, including the first SR/S that I’ve seen and a Black Forest.

I was a little worried last year when they were down to only a few demo bikes but I guess they’re committed again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

No, you can tell there are more and more people on the road in LA right now, although I just did LA -> OC on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend at rush hour in my car rather than bike, so that tells you the number of cars on the road right now. The local mountains just opened up the more developed hiking trails and camps last weekend and the ride up the mountain was insanely lovely. Huge groups of Harleys going slow, RVs going slow, people trying to find parking and doing stupid poo poo / crazy u-turns. Tons of CHP out, but no one even getting pulled over that I saw.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Ulf posted:

That reminds me, went to my local dealer and they had the full Zero lineup in stock, including the first SR/S that I’ve seen and a Black Forest.

I was a little worried last year when they were down to only a few demo bikes but I guess they’re committed again.

Yeah I think the manufacturing people are starting to trickle back into work. The office people, I've heard, may not return until August. Lots of Zoom meetings.

Our next bikes to do extensive reviews on are the Energica SS9 (my bike), the Energica EGO, and if we can get SR/F and SR/S owners to lend us their bikes... I mean we're in a good area for it. Got some good feedback on how to make our stuff more engaging and want to try it out.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

I wanted some push switches for an m.unit installation. The options were limited by being either cheap plastic in eyesore colours or prohibitively expensive (2 switches for around 10% of the value of the bike)

I went and hunted on AliExpress and found the expensive switches straight from manufacturer. They cost about 1/3rd the price delivered, and look and feel great. The buttons have smooth action and make good connection, and the housing feels very solid.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shelvocke posted:

I wanted some push switches for an m.unit installation. The options were limited by being either cheap plastic in eyesore colours or prohibitively expensive (2 switches for around 10% of the value of the bike)

I went and hunted on AliExpress and found the expensive switches straight from manufacturer. They cost about 1/3rd the price delivered, and look and feel great. The buttons have smooth action and make good connection, and the housing feels very solid.

I'd never heard of m.unit - are you rewiring your xr650r?

I'm a big fan of leveraging cheap aliexpress parts, lol

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

mewse posted:

I'd never heard of m.unit - are you rewiring your xr650r?

I'm a big fan of leveraging cheap aliexpress parts, lol

Part of the my college syllabus was to do a presentation on a piece of motorsport technology the lecturer hadn't heard of - and I'd seen the m.unit but didn't know anything about it. I spoke to the guys who developed it in the course of research and watched a few Revival Cycles videos and thought it was really cool but never intended to use it.

Then I spent a lot of time fiddling around with different ways of rewiring the XR - OEM fuse boxes, a Denali powerhub, straight up direct wiring - and none of it seemed suitable. The new system works fine, but I'd learned so much in the process of doing it by the time it was finished, the early connections and routing were not the standard I wanted and kind of a mess.

So I'm starting again but armed with more data and experience. The m.unit blue will go in a dry box on top the 3d printed battery box. It'll add loads of features not needed on a dirt bike, but very handy on an adventure bike, which is what I use it for anyway.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

There's a lot of question marks as to what and where life's gonna look like for me in the next few months to a year. Even my plan of having my own bike again in the fall is a big who knows. But, I just realized it's 2020, which means I should be able to import a 2005 MV Agusta Brutale 750 to Canada from anywhere, so if I'm still here and I'm getting a bike... I can finally own one. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Please replace the quick disconnect valves on the tank with metal replacements immediately if you buy one and it still has the factory valves.

Ask me about the fun of cleaning 12 liters of high octane from the garage floor and a soaked F4 750

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Omg my old Daytona 955 decided to spray high pressure fuel all over the hot exhaust at a track day due to those stupid plastic fittings. How I didn't burst into flames I'll never know. Replacing the plastic fittings with metal ones was a real pain in the rear end too!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shelvocke posted:

Ooh I’ve actually been looking for something like this, got a link?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ooh I’ve actually been looking for something like this, got a link?

Took about 3 weeks using this seller.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Nothing gets the blood moving like seeing a bale of insulation in the middle of the highway when you’re going 70.

Contractors are the worst people.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Arson Daily posted:

Omg my old Daytona 955 decided to spray high pressure fuel all over the hot exhaust at a track day due to those stupid plastic fittings. How I didn't burst into flames I'll never know. Replacing the plastic fittings with metal ones was a real pain in the rear end too!

Yeah i remember i had to borrow a special crimp tool to do it on the F4 but i wasnt gonna put another pair of the plastic connectors in again.

E: for those wondering

factory style

Metal Replacement

Notice the groove between the core of the fitting and the male connector. Thats exactly where the plastic ones break and its a big friggin leak you got on your hands there.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 23, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh yeah look at that. Why is that groove there? Some kind of fitting?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Combat Theory posted:

Yeah i remember i had to borrow a special crimp tool to do it on the F4

Can you post pics of your F4? I'd love one but worry about parts availability.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Rolo posted:

Oh yeah look at that. Why is that groove there? Some kind of fitting?

its the groove where the lock mechanism snaps in. kinda integral to the design of the Quick connect.

knox_harrington posted:

Can you post pics of your F4? I'd love one but worry about parts availability.

she usually stays in the living room when im not in spain.

In the Garage (yes i have a poo poo house in the Garage and a Fridge for Drinks)

Potato Videos
theres a good accceleration segment at 16:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxheJz0i8rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtaV5IZK-R0

Cursed bike.

So far:

- Broken Fuel line connector, replacement parts took a month, could only ride next year
- My Dad hit a Deer on a country road at dawn, first repaint of the cowling
- Fell into the Front Stand at a Tire Change, second repaint of the cowling
- Fell from the side stand at a gas station, Foot held it, no damage, some bruises
- Rear Brake blew a seal on the Highway, Brake fluid everywhere and the scary "Pump into emptyness"

So far i have bought parts at: MV Agusta when they still had a dealership, Ducati when they took the service for MV, Harley when they owned it (absolutely worst customer experience so far) and Aprillia when they took the service for MV (best experience so far)

I once had to drive through Hamburg for 2 days to get a single oil filter.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 23, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

its the groove where the lock mechanism snaps in. kinda integral to the design of the Quick connect.

she usually stays in the living room when im not in spain.

In the Garage (yes i have a poo poo house in the Garage and a Fridge for Drinks)

Potato Videos
theres a good accceleration segment at 16:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxheJz0i8rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtaV5IZK-R0

Cursed bike.

So far:

- Broken Fuel line connector, replacement parts took a month, could only ride next year
- My Dad hit a Deer on a country road at dawn, first repaint of the cowling
- Fell into the Front Stand at a Tire Change, second repaint of the cowling
- Fell from the side stand at a gas station, Foot held it, no damage, some bruises
- Rear Brake blew a seal on the Highway, Brake fluid everywhere and the scary "Pump into emptyness"

So far i have bought parts at: MV Agusta when they still had a dealership, Ducati when they took the service for MV, Harley when they owned it (absolutely worst customer experience so far) and Aprillia when they took the service for MV (best experience so far)

I once had to drive through Hamburg for 2 days to get a single oil filter.

Thanks for the good advice about the fuel stuff. The Brutale is the one and only bike that I have promised myself I will own one day. I realize it will be a probable nightmare, especially if I import it I to a country where it was never sold. I do have friends in the UK and Germany who could help me source and send stuff to me though. I accept it will be a Project to own one, and will likely require some creative solutions when something goes wrong, but I'm willing to accept that as part of the package. And maybe get a Yamaha MT09 or Triumph street triple R or something for the days it decides to throw a mardy.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone have any recommendations for new shoes for my tiger 1050? It's got PR3s on it now which I've liked pretty well but I don't need all the wet weather siping of the Road 5s since I live in the southwest.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for new shoes for my tiger 1050? It's got PR3s on it now which I've liked pretty well but I don't need all the wet weather siping of the Road 5s since I live in the southwest.

Fortnine has a very informative video on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K9U7W_U9gA

I am running Angel GT IIs right now very happily.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

depends on what you’re doing with it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Commuting mostly with some light touring and weekend day rides thrown in. Basically all the stuff you buy a sport tourer for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Commuting mostly with some light touring and weekend day rides thrown in. Basically all the stuff you buy a sport tourer for.

Angel gt's after pr3's will make your bike feel like it's about 100kg lighter.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hell yeah thanks for the advice!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I asked my Motorcycle Tire Dealer what he thinks about Angel GTs and Michelin Road 5s in particular and he suggested that for the Load Class i was looking at (SV 650) it would be a flavour choice between the Angel GT2 and the Road 5. Both are superior to the first Angel GT according to him, which made sense looking at the construction of the Tires.

I have Power RS on the R6 and Pilot Power 2CTs on the Honda and MV so ill propably stay with the michelin when the time comes. Theres no price difference between the GT2s and the Road 5 in Germany

If you understand german by any chance i highly suggest mopedreifen.de and their Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/mopedreifende/videos

Angel GTII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuyF9br7R0

Road 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuK3vj-op58

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 24, 2020

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Too nice out. Must go ride Hwy 9. Please send thoughts and prayers if I get thrown in prison.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Promise the cop free windjammers

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I just threw out like 30 of them that were cluttering up my parents' shed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo i don’t know what the lakeshore roads by you guys are like but mine is waist deep in clouds of spring bugs. Literal clouds that my bike was plowing through.

They didn’t spare my helmet vents either :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo i don’t know what the lakeshore roads by you guys are like but mine is waist deep in clouds of spring bugs. Literal clouds that my bike was plowing through.

They didn’t spare my helmet vents either :(

Yeah, I had my pushbike out down the Martin Goodman trail week or two ago and it was super gross riding through those flies. At least you had a helmet that covers your face!

Last night I dreamed I had a triumph street triple r, and I was trying to find some info about it to show someone but could only find stuff about the latest model, like anything prior to 2020 had been memory holed by triumph. Also they used this middle aged hipster dad model for all their marketing, who sort of superficially resembled me, and it irked me because I bought the bike because it was a great bike, not because of their lifestyle marketing, but that's all anyone would think. So I guess the striple R is my dream bike? Also I had an aquatic lizard that when the water in its container vibrated from loud music it turned invisible, and a brightly coloured turtle thing that was kind of make from gummy material.
Maybe I shouldn't spend the entire night shift watching motorcycle reviews on YouTube.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, I had my pushbike out down the Martin Goodman trail week or two ago and it was super gross riding through those flies. At least you had a helmet that covers your face!

Last night I dreamed I had a triumph street triple r, and I was trying to find some info about it to show someone but could only find stuff about the latest model, like anything prior to 2020 had been memory holed by triumph. Also they used this middle aged hipster dad model for all their marketing, who sort of superficially resembled me, and it irked me because I bought the bike because it was a great bike, not because of their lifestyle marketing, but that's all anyone would think. So I guess the striple R is my dream bike? Also I had an aquatic lizard that when the water in its container vibrated from loud music it turned invisible, and a brightly coloured turtle thing that was kind of make from gummy material.
Maybe I shouldn't spend the entire night shift watching motorcycle reviews on YouTube.

Sounds like you had a decent night tbh. How do you feel about the street triple in the cold light of day?

Looking at my photos from today I need a tail tidy / fender eliminator for the fireblade. It feels like Honda went out of their way to make the number plate extension arm apparatus as ugly as possible.

Does anyone have experience with evotech? The one below looks good to me. The Swiss number plates are, of course, weird and come in a quick-release housing thing but I think the housing will just bolt onto the fender eliminator.
https://evotech-performance.com/products/honda-cbr1000rr-sp-tail-tidy-2017-to-2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Sounds like you had a decent night tbh. How do you feel about the street triple in the cold light of day?

Looking at my photos from today I need a tail tidy / fender eliminator for the fireblade. It feels like Honda went out of their way to make the number plate extension arm apparatus as ugly as possible.

Does anyone have experience with evotech? The one below looks good to me. The Swiss number plates are, of course, weird and come in a quick-release housing thing but I think the housing will just bolt onto the fender eliminator.
https://evotech-performance.com/products/honda-cbr1000rr-sp-tail-tidy-2017-to-2019

I've been thinking about them a lot lately. The one I rented a couple of summers ago was awesome. My only complaint with it was it was a little cramped and uncomfortable in the legs for a multi-day tour. It was tons of fun though. They're not the cheapest used (now is completely the wrong time of year to be shopping anyway) , but should be cheap to insure. Basically my "based on moving to BC" motorbike shortlist (which has gone completely to poo poo for now) is a Monster 696 or a Striple R, or a MT09 if the insurance isn't stupid. Never ridden the latter two. (also add the Brutale I mentioned earlier which is the gently caress it and I have a car anyway dark horse option I hadn't realized I had).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finger Prince posted:

I've been thinking about them a lot lately. The one I rented a couple of summers ago was awesome. My only complaint with it was it was a little cramped and uncomfortable in the legs for a multi-day tour. It was tons of fun though. They're not the cheapest used (now is completely the wrong time of year to be shopping anyway) , but should be cheap to insure. Basically my "based on moving to BC" motorbike shortlist (which has gone completely to poo poo for now) is a Monster 696 or a Striple R, or a MT09 if the insurance isn't stupid. Never ridden the latter two. (also add the Brutale I mentioned earlier which is the gently caress it and I have a car anyway dark horse option I hadn't realized I had).

is that shortlist due to availability? The Monster is in a way lower class in terms of performance compared to the others. Also MT-07 would be a better bike in that kind of zone than the MT-09.

Obviously what I'm saying is you need to get the Brutale.