Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have exactly one SAE bolt on my bike because I needed a nylok for it and I was out of M8 nyloks and needed to get the piece attached for a ride I was going on the next morning and I just said gently caress it, 5/16" is less than 1% smaller than 8mm, it's loving close enough and it has held up just fine ever since.

But I know.

I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I have exactly one SAE bolt on my bike because I needed a nylok for it and I was out of M8 nyloks and needed to get the piece attached for a ride I was going on the next morning and I just said gently caress it, 5/16" is less than 1% smaller than 8mm, it's loving close enough and it has held up just fine ever since.

But I know.

I know.

That knowledge would eat me up inside like something out of a hitchcock film, your strength astounds me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I would have ripped it off after that one ride. I dont even like sae hardware in my storage bins.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
What easy to find fabric or material can I use to redo the upholstery on a seat? What is that original/factory material called? On a SV650, if that matters.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Before I put my bike away for the winter (1988 Honda Shadow VLX) I noticed that the throttle wasn't working the last time I tried to ride it. The grip just turns loosely and clicks when I move it. No action on the throttle. Do I need new cables? A cop neighbor told me that it was a "6 dollar part you can get at the autozone" but didn't specify any further.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Cage Kicker posted:

Before I put my bike away for the winter (1988 Honda Shadow VLX) I noticed that the throttle wasn't working the last time I tried to ride it. The grip just turns loosely and clicks when I move it. No action on the throttle. Do I need new cables? A cop neighbor told me that it was a "6 dollar part you can get at the autozone" but didn't specify any further.

Are your cables broken? You can unscrew the housing where the throttle cables attach to the throttle tube on your handlebar (that thing next to the twisty bit) and see what the issue is.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

The left hand controls (meaning the plastic collar with the light controls and horn) on my DR-z400sm turn under strong pressure. It's not something I noticed until I tried to honk the horn, which apparently gave it just enough leverage to slightly turn the entire control box. The right hand controls won't budge, even under strong twisting.

I tried simply tightening the screws that hold the controls onto the handlebars, but they seem to be as tightly screwed in as I can get them without stripping them. It has aftermarket pro-taper bars that the P.O. installed, but the right hand controls seem to fit, so I'm thinking the bars are up to snuff.

Any ideas?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fishvilla posted:

The left hand controls (meaning the plastic collar with the light controls and horn) on my DR-z400sm turn under strong pressure. It's not something I noticed until I tried to honk the horn, which apparently gave it just enough leverage to slightly turn the entire control box. The right hand controls won't budge, even under strong twisting.

I tried simply tightening the screws that hold the controls onto the handlebars, but they seem to be as tightly screwed in as I can get them without stripping them. It has aftermarket pro-taper bars that the P.O. installed, but the right hand controls seem to fit, so I'm thinking the bars are up to snuff.

Any ideas?

Yeah, Suzuki uses little locator tabs on their switchgear that fits into pre-drilled holes on the stock bars. This keeps them perfectly aligned and keeps them from moving

When you move to aftermarket bars you have two options:

1) drill the bars to accept the tab, which no one does, because effort.

2) slice the tab off with a knife and hope it stays put, which is what nearly everyone does.

If your switchgear is loose, put a wrap or two of electrical tape around the bar and put the switchgear on that. Gives it more to bite into. I've had to do this on my Bandit, DRZ, and SV, it works great.

This generally happens because it's hard to slice the tab off and stay within the radius of the bar without cutting into the switchboard body and making the hole bigger. If you have to cut the tab, leave like a mm of it in place so it grips better.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Awesome -- thanks for the fast help. I'm swapping out the grips anyways, so this shouldn't be too difficult to add on as a fix.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Have anyone here used Garmin Etrex gps units? I'm looking at a gps unit that can handle off-road/standalone mapping without getting confused, but also work as a normal road gps. I see the newest in the range, the etrex 35 touch has turn by turn navigation, road map support + other goodies.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, Suzuki uses little locator tabs on their switchgear that fits into pre-drilled holes on the stock bars. This keeps them perfectly aligned and keeps them from moving

2) slice the tab off with a knife and hope it stays put, which is what nearly everyone does.

If your switchgear is loose, put a wrap or two of electrical tape around the bar and put the switchgear on that. Gives it more to bite into. I've had to do this on my Bandit, DRZ, and SV, it works great.

This generally happens because it's hard to slice the tab off and stay within the radius of the bar without cutting into the switchboard body and making the hole bigger. If you have to cut the tab, leave like a mm of it in place so it grips better.

If you're oddly out of electrical tape, I keep an old bicycle inner tube in the garage and cut off a chunk of it giving me a nice sticky spacer.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I would have ripped it off after that one ride. I dont even like sae hardware in my storage bins.
I couldn't agree more but as a mechanic I have to work on Harleys and old British bikes once in a while. It pains me. I actually have no SAE tools in my cabinet, I have to use the random shop tools lying around. It would make more sense perhaps to just get some SAE tools, but I just can't do it. I can't.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
It's time for me to admit to my mistake from a few weeks ago:

I walk into the local hardware store with a bag of carb hardware looking to buy hex head SS stuff for when I reassemble. I get everything I need and it's a weirdly cheap $4.78 or something under $5.

I get home and nothing threads up because those were the SAE bolts with a thread class so close that the metric ones thread into the nuts just fine.

Picked up the same set of hardware in metric and it was $15. Oh well. Still worth it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I couldn't agree more but as a mechanic I have to work on Harleys and old British bikes once in a while. It pains me. I actually have no SAE tools in my cabinet, I have to use the random shop tools lying around. It would make more sense perhaps to just get some SAE tools, but I just can't do it. I can't.

Harleys made me buy Imperial Allen keys :smith:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Supradog posted:

Have anyone here used Garmin Etrex gps units? I'm looking at a gps unit that can handle off-road/standalone mapping without getting confused, but also work as a normal road gps. I see the newest in the range, the etrex 35 touch has turn by turn navigation, road map support + other goodies.

I have the 30 for hiking and it is cluuuunky compared to the iphone experience everyone used to. It is super durable though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is this garbage? my CL350 had a little slot in the bars to do the same thing, and you're drat right I milled the new bars to match. And my Hawk GT had the reverse problem, where the little plastic peg had snapped off the controls so there was nothing to fit in the hole. And you bet I fuckin tapped a tiny little thread into the place where the peg was and replaced it with a socket-head screw that fit perfectly into the hole and now there's zero slop again.

:getin: or :getout:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did drill the requisite holes in my DRZ Renthals, but the Bandit and SV already had been pre-hosed by PO's

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

internet inc posted:

What easy to find fabric or material can I use to redo the upholstery on a seat? What is that original/factory material called? On a SV650, if that matters.

Vinyl, and probably vinyl. Non-stretch. Just talked to a guy who does this for a living, figuring out how long I can live with cracks in my seat. Can buy it at a fabric store.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

internet inc posted:

Marine grade vinyl. It's a lot more water resistant that regular upholstery vinyl, and resists tearing better. There are some good YouTube tutorials on it. You'll need a staple gun as well. I've done it with excellent results.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Or just go to Jo-Ann Fabrics and shop around for different styles of seatcovers, like Hello Kitty Fleece, Taxi Yellow Pleather, or my personal favorite, Bright Glitter Red Diner Stool Vinyl.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Or just go to Jo-Ann Fabrics and shop around for different styles of seatcovers, like Hello Kitty Fleece, Taxi Yellow Pleather, or my personal favorite, Bright Glitter Red Diner Stool Vinyl.

Paging coydog's 690.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

dies? what are we, farmers?

make your own bolts on a CNC lathe as required

This is a lot funnier now that I know there is close to zero irony in your post, professor. :tipshat:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
On one bike I lost one of the little square nut-like blocks that go in the battery terminals and made a new one by filing a random nut to size, that ate at me too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Note to self: Take video when next working on bike, threaten to post it here unless people pay me not to.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Need some help from US/Cali goons.

I bought this beautiful beast last year (end of May) from a shop north of SF:

[2015 KTM Duke 690]

Being a foreigner, I have no clue as to how I should do inspections or register it or whatever is needed (I assume on a yearly basis) to keep it legal.
The DMV site requires an SSN, which I do not have.

Right now I'm not in the US, but will be returning in a month or so. Can anyone help me figure out how to get my precious ready and able, preferably before my return?

Many thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The usual process for a bike that is already registered in California is to just pay the fees every year and submit proof of insurance to the DMV. There shouldn't be any inspections or emissions testing.

If you don't have a social security number but you are living and working in the USA on a visa, what do you use instead when one is required? Use that. Talk to your country's consulate.

If you are on a visa that doesn't allow you to work or rent an apartment or open a bank account or whatever, you might be poo poo out of luck. I don't know what California's policies are for non-residents owning vehicles registered in the state.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Did you google it?
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl08

Seems like if you're here on a work visa you need to give them an SSN and if you're not you will need to provide proof of legal presence and don't need to give them an ssn. That's for a license but I bet it's the same.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

Sounds just like when my throttle cable snapped. New cable for me was $76, but it's a push/pull setup. Dunno about your bike. Its pretty simple to do depending on the bike, I had to remove my tank and air box to get the new cables installed.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This is probably retarded but here goes... what am I supposed to do with a busted tyre and the bike being at home?

Last Wednesday my rear popped and went completely flat which luckily I was very close to home and didn't die, once I got it back home to take a look at it (after spending 15 minutes pushing it and getting exhausted so I just drove back) there were a couple small nails embedded plus a big hole punched into it (2cm wide approx). I've been busy with stuff so it's just been left in my garage for now but I'm wondering what to do with it, without a doubt it needs a new tyre and I pray the wheel isn't damaged but any repair shops are quite a distance away.

I've got recovery service with my insurance so I don't know if they can pick it up from my house and drop off at a shop, or if they can do a spot repair to limp it along. Either way I'll have to wait until the end of the month to actually afford anything anyway.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is the bike the only means of transport you have? Does it have a center stand (or do you have a paddock stand)?

If you have a car, or can get a lift from someone with enough room for the rear wheel, you can take the wheel off the bike and bring it to a shop to have another tire mounted. With a 2cm wide hole in it the tire is likely not repairable.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?

Sagebrush posted:

The usual process for a bike that is already registered in California is to just pay the fees every year and submit proof of insurance to the DMV. There shouldn't be any inspections or emissions testing.

If you don't have a social security number but you are living and working in the USA on a visa, what do you use instead when one is required? Use that. Talk to your country's consulate.

If you are on a visa that doesn't allow you to work or rent an apartment or open a bank account or whatever, you might be poo poo out of luck. I don't know what California's policies are for non-residents owning vehicles registered in the state.

builds character posted:

Did you google it?
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl08

Seems like if you're here on a work visa you need to give them an SSN and if you're not you will need to provide proof of legal presence and don't need to give them an ssn. That's for a license but I bet it's the same.

I'm still going to be on a tourist/business visa for a while before I get a proper one. It's just that the DMV site won't let you proceed without an SSN. I guess I'll just have to.................... go there.

Is it a terrible crime to drive if you're insured but haven't yet paid your fees? If a cop stops me, how hosed am I?

Here in Israel every vehicle older than 2 has to pass a short yearly inspection. Breaks, signal lights, that sort of stuff. If the date passes and you get stopped, you're only down about $70.

Thanks dudes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Having an expired registration tag on the bike is only a fix-it ticket, usually (i.e. like $15 plus proof that you fixed the problem) but you'll have to pay a late penalty ($50-100 or so) when you do register the vehicle, and if the cop is feeling cocky he can also impound your vehicle until you get the fees paid off.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What is the go to rim tape around here?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tapeworks

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kane posted:

I'm still going to be on a tourist/business visa for a while before I get a proper one. It's just that the DMV site won't let you proceed without an SSN. I guess I'll just have to.................... go there.

Is it a terrible crime to drive if you're insured but haven't yet paid your fees? If a cop stops me, how hosed am I?

Here in Israel every vehicle older than 2 has to pass a short yearly inspection. Breaks, signal lights, that sort of stuff. If the date passes and you get stopped, you're only down about $70.

Thanks dudes.

What fees? If your vehicle is insured but not registered then at best you will get a ticket and at worse impounded.

E: obvious solution, get a GoPro, drop a gear and disappear.

builds character fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 15, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Jazzzzz posted:

Is the bike the only means of transport you have? Does it have a center stand (or do you have a paddock stand)?

If you have a car, or can get a lift from someone with enough room for the rear wheel, you can take the wheel off the bike and bring it to a shop to have another tire mounted. With a 2cm wide hole in it the tire is likely not repairable.
We've got a car and that actually didn't cross my mind, I've got a paddock stand so popping the wheel off would probably be cheaper I imagine.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chichevache posted:

What is the go to rim tape around here?

They're all pretty much the same in my experience but YMMV.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Super Slash posted:

We've got a car and that actually didn't cross my mind, I've got a paddock stand so popping the wheel off would probably be cheaper I imagine.

Oh yeah, if I take my wheels off and into the shops around here it's between $10-$25/ea to mount a new tire. If I take the bike in it's up to $40/ea (even at the cheap place!). Plus it gives you a chance to get in there and clean up your chain/nooks and crannies while the wheel is off.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just installed a set of Fobo TPMS sensors on my bike. It has the weird feature called "show gage pressure" that made the reported pressures rise by 3.2psi. When this is enabled, my TPMS and hand gauge measurements match pretty well.

I looked it up, and apparently this setting compensates for high altitude (https://my-fobo.com/Page/45), which makes sense as I'm in Colorado. However, that page says to inflate my tires to the Fobo readings regardless, meaning I'd be "over"inflating by around 3.2psi.

I'm guessing I shouldn't do this, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well,

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funnily enough I've just started running slightly over recommended PSI (36 rather than 34) on the enthusiastic recommendation of someone who I normally trust on such things and it's made a really surprisingly positive impact. It may just be because they were slightly squared and this is helping bring the profile back to normal. I guess it might be reducing absolute grip a little bit but the improvement o feel is amazing, and surprisingly over small bumps and imperfections it actually feels smoother than normal.

I would think it wouldn't be a huge problem if you're not doing 8000 foot days or 100 degree days or both.