Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jake Hunter has been around for 30 years?

There have been 16 games in the main Jinguji Saburo series so far. The last one, from 2012, was also a 3DS game. The game that got localized, it's worth mentioning, wasn't even a mainline title but a remake/rewrite of the first few games, originally for the Famicom. There are a few more of those compilation/remakes around so the actual number of JS releases is actually much higher than 16.

If the series ever does make a return to the west I hope they drop the Jake Hunter nonsense and go for an un-nativized (for lack of a better word) localization. The thing that makes the series what it is is its portrayal of real locations in a noir-ish Tokyo, and changing the setting to America doesn't even make the same sense it did for the first Ace Attorney game. It's not even funny in this case, since these are dead serious games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I tried the updated version of Jake Hunter they put out with the cleaned up translation and kind of liked it, but it was something I'd really would have liked to have played with all the original stuff intact. It seemed like an interesting little game!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

orenronen posted:

There have been 16 games in the main Jinguji Saburo series so far. The last one, from 2012, was also a 3DS game. The game that got localized, it's worth mentioning, wasn't even a mainline title but a remake/rewrite of the first few games, originally for the Famicom. There are a few more of those compilation/remakes around so the actual number of JS releases is actually much higher than 16.

Yeah, I should point out that Arc System Works now owns all that stuff - the originals, the remakes/ports, the SD mobile games, etc.

They also now own the Theresia series, which people may remember from the DS game Aksys localised back in the day, but I can't imagine they'll resurrect those games.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Arc is going to go buying up extinct JRPG franchises, can they do us a solid and resurrect Shadow Hearts?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Work gave me a $30 Walmart card so I picked up Fantasy Life for $12. Any tips?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fun Times! posted:

$12? Seriously? Wow.

Tips? Start your life as a fisherman, lumberjack or miner.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hmph. I've been tracking New 3DS XL prices over the last week or two, and I'm disappointed to see even Gamestop selling used units at over $200.

I'm starting to low-key panic. Should I pick one up from Nintendo @ 170 asap, or can I expect prices to normalize here in a few weeks again? I was looking to pay a flat $200 for a brand spankin new one or maybe as low as $160 for a used one within the next few weeks.

But I COULD pull the trigger now for the sake of securing the refurb price. Thoughts?

And it goes without saying but I have a massive backlog in general and plenty of other games to play, this is just a permanent fact of my life now regardless of what I'm looking to buy,

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

KingSlime posted:

Hmph. I've been tracking New 3DS XL prices over the last week or two, and I'm disappointed to see even Gamestop selling used units at over $200.

I'm starting to low-key panic. Should I pick one up from Nintendo @ 170 asap, or can I expect prices to normalize here in a few weeks again? I was looking to pay a flat $200 for a brand spankin new one or maybe as low as $160 for a used one within the next few weeks.

But I COULD pull the trigger now for the sake of securing the refurb price. Thoughts?

And it goes without saying but I have a massive backlog in general and plenty of other games to play, this is just a permanent fact of my life now regardless of what I'm looking to buy,

Get the refurb, they're as good as new (like Apple refurbs in most cases) and come with a 1 year warranty as if they were new. Literally nothing to lose.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Craigslist

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
welp it's ordered, got me a refurb with overnight shipping because i am an impulsive child

still cheaper than any local options, including a few used ones

Now to debate whether I should sell my tablet or not, as I don't really have that much time for toys.....hmmmmmmm

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep feeling like I need a dual IPS.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh gently caress if I ordered a refurbished which screens am I likely to get??

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It doesn't matterrrrrr

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Two of 'em.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
You can get the very good screens or the bad good screens :smug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

I think the older New 3DS XLs were actually more likely to have a top IPS. It really doesn't matter a huge amount though since they're all pretty bad screens by modern standards and the TN ones have some advantages as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
IPS: better for 3D, for color, for blacks.
TN: better for? Fast moving stuff, I think.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ugh well either way it's gonna be lovely screens I guess I'll deal with whatever

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

KingSlime posted:

You got a refurbished unit!? Fukkin :laffo: Enjoy your poo poo screens.

But the truth is

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It doesn't matterrrrrr

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There are edge cases where they do matter, but I really don't know what they are. If you don't know about them, it's probably not worth caring about.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The "it doesn't matter" propaganda was created by people with poo poo tier screens. They're the same people who tell their kids that they can't go to McDonald's because they have microwaveable nuggets at home. Don't believe them, they're all liars and are not to be trusted at any given moment.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If you can't tell the difference without literally having both side by side, it doesn't matter

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LODGE NORTH posted:

The "it doesn't matter" propaganda was created by people with poo poo tier screens. They're the same people who tell their kids that they can't go to McDonald's because they have microwaveable nuggets at home. Don't believe them, they're all liars and are not to be trusted at any given moment.

What kind of screens do the dev units have?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If you can't tell the difference without literally having both side by side, it doesn't matter

The thing is, an IPS screen is obvious. If you walk up to a Yokai watch display at target, you can see the different from far away and it gets more intense as you get closer. That's a good test unit because the bottom screen is TN so right there in front of you is proof of the difference.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's handy for all those times you're looking at a 3DS screen from far away

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Good job with that reading comprehension.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I swear to god pocket card jockey has to be some kind of voluntary pain simulator

It's amazing that a game in 2017 that will screw you for playing perfectly doesn't have some kind of freemium component

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sometimes your best isn't good enough.

It's a good life lesson.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Just curious who is playing 3ds from the angles at which ips becomes beneficial and what does your body even look like

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If you care that much about quality of screens the 3DS is bad for it anyway.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have homebrew on my N3DS because I do a lot of photo editing on the go and the sRGB space on the TN panel is abhorrent.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cheese sandwich posted:

I swear to god pocket card jockey has to be some kind of voluntary pain simulator

It's amazing that a game in 2017 that will screw you for playing perfectly doesn't have some kind of freemium component

The horse that pops up to tell you why you lost is such a reassuring presence. I missed him when I won.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Phone posted:

I have homebrew on my N3DS because I do a lot of photo editing on the go and the sRGB space on the TN panel is abhorrent.

Why?
:psyduck:

Why would you edit photos on a 240p screen? Just... you would be better off with like a $100 android tablet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

deadly_pudding posted:

Why?
:psyduck:

Why would you edit photos on a 240p screen? Just... you would be better off with like a $100 android tablet.

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I have both IPS and TN 3DSes, i looked at them both, and the difference is p. noticeable.
I pushed off the IPS one to my brother (who doesn't use it) and keep my TN one active 'cause it looks a lot nicer on average.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fun Times! posted:

Change jobs frequently. Switching is free and the game heavily encourages it, as a lot of the jobs play off each other. For instance, to cook the higher end recipes as a cook, eventually you will need rare fish, which requires you to be an Angler. Both cook and Angler will eventually want better frying pans and rods, which require you to be a Blacksmith and Carpenter, respectively. To get the raw materials for either, yes you can buy most of them, but it's more efficient to just go get them yourself as a Miner or Woodcutter. Plus you can't buy the rarer raw materials so you'll have to take up one of those jobs eventually. And hey if you're mining poo poo already, might as well make better armor and weapons for your combat-oriented jobs, right?

I recommend picking up the gathering jobs (Miner and Woodcutter) early, and hit rocks and chop down trees as you go.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Stardew Valley on Switch will probably be mine.

I just skipped 3 pages to post....is this a thing? Like no bullshit this is happening?
I'll buy a switch if so

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I just skipped 3 pages to post....is this a thing? Like no bullshit this is happening?
I'll buy a switch if so

For reaslies. I'm holding out on the Switch version too.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Phone posted:

This is the worst thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stan Taylor posted:

This is the worst thing I've ever seen.

Thank you.