Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Dear god, most everyone that has posted in this thread has probably already died. Thank God I live in Alabama, where artificial stuff is too expensive. We just play on hardened dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Are these people wearing bikinis to play on goal?

Wear football socks and a long sleeve shirt to avoid cuts and burns while playing on turf #lifehacks

You can even wear knee pads if you want #protip

I found one on my phone's usb port the other day, does my phone have cancer now? :ohdear:

On another note, I wont be buying Mercurials again, even though they're really comfortable mine are already falling apart after 3 months or so of playing twice a week.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I've never seen a good keeper play on fake turf without long pants and sleeves tbh

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Charlotte Hornets posted:

I've gotten those in my pants.

gently caress

Welcome to pants cancer.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I just scored the winner to get our team promoted :getin:

Bombed out of defence down the left, got past the last man and smacked it left footed, through the keepers legs. First and last time I'll ever score the winner in a big game

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

I just scored the winner to get our team promoted :getin:

Bombed out of defence down the left, got past the last man and smacked it left footed, through the keepers legs. First and last time I'll ever score the winner in a big game

:australia:

You ate my sunshine

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What do you guys eat before/during a game, and when? I like a banana right before kick off. I also find fruit gives me energy.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I'll eat bananas during matches in which I am racially abused

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've never seen a good keeper play on fake turf without long pants and sleeves tbh

Ergo, it's ok that bad keepers are getting black-pellet-cancer. For shame!

Seriously, if that stuff gives cancer then I am so so hosed.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I got loving reduced on that turf stuff and did like 5 or 6 good rolls due to the momentum, and when I got home to shower my balls were completely encased in a thick layer of pellets, it was unreal. Pretty sure now I'm sterile or only capable of producing downs babies (regardless lmao!, also I signed my post downs babies.).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Drogadon posted:

Are these people wearing bikinis to play on goal?

Wear football socks and a long sleeve shirt to avoid cuts and burns while playing on turf #lifehacks

You can even wear knee pads if you want #protip

I found one on my phone's usb port the other day, does my phone have cancer now? :ohdear:

On another note, I wont be buying Mercurials again, even though they're really comfortable mine are already falling apart after 3 months or so of playing twice a week.
Rather get cancer than endure the ridicule I'd endure playing keeper with knee pads on tbh.

BTW, scored a hat trick last week... playing in our parents vs kids game for my U15 squad.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

and did like 5 or 6 good rolls due to the momentum

Are you Neymar?

My unit plays footy for pt sometimes. I was called out in formation and was told there are no trophies for winning.

I am not a skillet by any means. But playing against people who play swarm ball is ridiculous. Also had a guy try me, he was at the corner (no stop in play so just play it in) and he was all "I got you fucker!" I was just standing still. He dribbled right at me and tried to skill past. Stuck foot out and passed it back to the corner. Told him try again. He booted it right at me. Trapped it, made a run to goal, crossed it and that's where it was swarmed over and lost.

Gonna look for leagues around here. I don't play enough and I am not comfortable being one of the better people on my team.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 20, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I tried Soreen today but it's a bit heavy. the opposition were those niggly fuckers who always 'let you know they're there' by pushing you when you release the ball but despite suffering numerous professional fouls we won comfortably and are in the automatic promotion places :hehe:

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Soulex posted:

Are you Neymar?

I'm not Neymar as I can't dribble past more than 1 defender using technique (and only so long as the 1 defender isn't actually good), but my two talents are running really fast with the ball and finishing.

Needless to say I was moving at a good clip per the former and getting ready to do the latter (again, which probably explains the frantic tackle) when I got taken out, and I went loving flying. It was pretty unreal to roll that many times without having any control over stopping, just control enough to brace myself and keep my limbs and head in good spots and enough time to think "this is really hosed up" as it was happening.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I'm not Neymar as I can't dribble past more than 1 defender using technique (and only so long as the 1 defender isn't actually good), but my two talents are running really fast with the ball and finishing.

Needless to say I was moving at a good clip per the former and getting ready to do the latter (again, which probably explains the frantic tackle) when I got taken out, and I went loving flying. It was pretty unreal to roll that many times without having any control over stopping, just control enough to brace myself and keep my limbs and head in good spots and enough time to think "this is really hosed up" as it was happening.

More or less describes me but I'm also 6'2" 230 so I generally get the better of those collisions.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

This has happened to me, not sure about 4 or 5 times but it was at least 3 good rolls. I was flat-out top speed to win a loose ball right near the center circle, I got the first touch but the other guy put his gigantic foot right in front of mine and I went flying. Had the same general thought, too, "what the gently caress is happening, physics doesn't work this way does it?" I didn't have the wherewithal to keep my face from smacking the ground each time, though, luckily the grass was thick(ish) and it had rained that day.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Has anyone ever owned a pair of Pantofola football boots?

I quite like the look of these
http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/Pantofola-dOro-Football-Boots-Pantofola-d%27Oro-Team-Bianco-PU-Soccer-Cleats-White-62009.aspx

Wish I could justify buying these
http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Prod...lver-82132.aspx
:stare:

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 23, 2014

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Couple of beginner questions for you guys here.

First of all I'm getting decent with ball control and would like to move on to basic crossovers or fakes to practice. Anyone got any suggestions?

Any tips on defense when man to man? Anything basic or advanced would be helpful!

Also how the hell do you kick the soccer ball high and far? Best I can manage is just a mid power shot.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
First off, you can just go ahead and call it a ball. The soccer part is assumed. Defending, you want to be a yard closer to your goal than a dribbling attacker at a 45' angle to his stronger foot. Skill wise, the best thing to practice is going past your man. Try to dribble from one cone to another as a friend tries to dispossess you.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Also how the hell do you kick the soccer ball high and far? Best I can manage is just a mid power shot.
Part leg strength, part technique. To send the ball high, you want to strike it below the midline: get your foot under the ball. If you look at people taking goal kicks or making clearances you'll see their body shape and how they're hitting it. Try leaning back a little.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

The Biggest Jerk posted:

First of all I'm getting decent with ball control and would like to move on to basic crossovers or fakes to practice. Anyone got any suggestions?

Any tips on defense when man to man? Anything basic or advanced would be helpful!

There's lots of little tricks and keys to defending effectively, and they depend a lot of the situation at hand - set piece defending, knowing when to close in and when to concede space, knowing when to make a play for the ball (risky unless you time it right), and when to just jockey and make a nuisance of yourself. Good players will try to bait you in to lunge for the ball and fake the ball around you. I'm phone posting so I can't get into too much detail, but you can't really go too wrong as long as you are between the striker and where they want to go - this is called staying goal side and you'll hear coaches and your teammates yelling it a lot because it's incredibly important.

As to kicking long, it's definitely a technique beyond pure strength. Essentially you use your whole body to direct the ball - from a goal kick, run in at a slight angle (I.e. not in a straight line up to kick or you resrirct your body movement), plant your non-kicking foot about a foot-length to the side of the ball, and swing your kicking foot through the ball just below the middle. Hit it with your laces, and tilt your head back as you kick.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Skilling comes with time. I'm not the best, but practice basic ones. Roll overs, fake shots, cuts. A lot of people I have seen practice dribbling super slow. Get the basics, then go full speed. Roulette is easy, and so is a heel flick.

Defending is a lot like chess. Try to figure out what the person's strong side is, and figure that most of the time he's going to cut to that side. Give them space, but not enough to let them make a run. Getting to close will let you get burned 9/10. The best way is to apply pressure and let them make a mistake. Make sure to mark goal side. If you're going man to man, he's going to try to lose you by roaming from side to side. If your coach wants you to strictly be man to man, follow him. If not, don't get out of position. Call out and have someone else mark him.

When you're just waiting there for the play, stay kind of close. I tend to stay right behind the attacker and when a clearance or cross comes his way, I push off with my hand on him. It gives me a boost, and slows him down. Be annoying, don't let them have too much room but make sure you make contact. I used to put my belly right up against them sometimes to make them know I was there. If you do get burned, don't be afraid to grab a shirt, a hand, something. Don't drag them down, but slow them down. A frustrated attacker is your best friend. they make a lot of mistakes. Also, be like Shakira. Hips don't lie, don't get caught ball watching.

As for booting the ball, lean back. It's form more than anything. Clearances are easy, but doing it right is hard. The best way I can describe it is try to cross it out. It gives you more accuracy. I also slightly tip my foot up (not enough to toe poke) and it gets some extra lift.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
If you are taking more than 2 touches you better be Ronaldo or everyone on your team will hate you. keep the ball moving

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

African AIDS cum posted:

If you are taking more than 2 touches you better be Ronaldo or everyone on your team will hate you. keep the ball moving

Forever this. I'm getting ready to stop playing with my longtime team because my new midfield partner is that guy who can always beat two guys but never beat three, yet he tries to beat three because he can always beat two. Pass the loving ball. Not every ball needs to be a killer pass. Talk a lot. Learn to switch the play.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I have had a teammate slide tackle a fellow teammate who was a ball hog who always ran into dead ends and never passed it was lol

Everyone should watch this scene from cinematic masterpice Goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRLdKdwHE4Y

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Thats one of the biggest things I drive home to the youth teams I coach. Pass early and pass often. They basically have the green to go upfield if they aren't marked but as soon as a defender picks them up they start looking for a passing option before the defender closes out. Simple ball movement will completely break down most casual defenses.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

African AIDS cum posted:

I have had a teammate slide tackle a fellow teammate who was a ball hog who always ran into dead ends and never passed it was lol

Everyone should watch this scene from cinematic masterpice Goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRLdKdwHE4Y

can you post his personal information so I can mail him a fosters radler as a reward?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

I agree with this post

also I can't dribble for poo poo

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

African AIDS cum posted:

I can not emptyquote this enough.

African AIDS cum posted:

Living the dream that one

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Drogadon posted:

What are the best turf shoes out there right now? There are no stores close to me so I'm forced to buy online :/

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What are the best turf shoes out there right now? There are no stores close to me so I'm forced to buy online :/

Turf or artificial grass?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks everyone I'll keep everything in mind next time I go practice! While I'm at it, are there any kicking form for dummies resources out there? I feel like I always feel like my kick isn't quite spot on (hits ankles, very distal end of metatarsal, etc.)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Thanks everyone I'll keep everything in mind next time I go practice! While I'm at it, are there any kicking form for dummies resources out there? I feel like I always feel like my kick isn't quite spot on (hits ankles, very distal end of metatarsal, etc.)
Just practice. You have enough nerves in your foot that you'll know when you're hitting it right.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Like Chas said just keep practicing it. Try hitting it a few times with your toe and then do it correctly. There is a distinct difference in the sound it makes. One thing that will help add more power that I haven't seen mentioned yet is to keep your knee bent as long as possible. This will also help with keeping your toe pointed down. Also one that seems obvious but I see lot of people do is taking your eye off the ball before you strike.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Also one that seems obvious but I see lot of people do is taking your eye off the ball before you strike.

loving this! It's important to look at the goal and or target. Whatever. But look at the ball when you hit it to get a clean hit. Practice free kicks with this, it will help.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Soulex posted:

Recommendations on cheap keeper gloves? I keep getting asked to play keeper so I might as well get some gloves.

Took a shot right to the nuts yesterday too. Rain, wet ball, ball slipped through my hands and nailed me. Hurt so bad :(

Nobody answered your question so I just thought I'd tell you what I wear. Sondico Aquaspines. Mine are from last year though so they don't have the horrible blue palms. Grip is decent and actually improves in wet weather. Spines aren't removable though so if you don't like having fingerspines then they're no good. Also if one snaps then you'll need to buy a new pair, but for the price these are decent.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Burqa King posted:

What do you guys eat before/during a game, and when? I like a banana right before kick off. I also find fruit gives me energy.

Two scrambled eggs with some beans about two hours before the game and a banana

Also, anyone got experience with Pantofola d'Oro boots? Eyeing some new astros

Insanely Sikh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2014

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

They look so pretty but they're serious p for an astro so I'm wary

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Prod...Blue-61602.aspx

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Prod...lack-83167.aspx

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Prod...lack-64538.aspx

Omg I'm in love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

You're a posh oval office so they'll be perfect for you.

They are really well made boots though. No fancy technology or any of that but they're solid.