Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

SNIPE What are some good programming blogs? I don't want to read a lot of things and I don't want to read any articles about how we are approaching intellectual doomsday by not using C or Lisp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
perl owns and if ur a perl guy in teh bay area get me ur resume

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

idk there are a lot better things than perl

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CamH posted:

idk there are a lot better things than perl

its hard to beat for text processing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but who ever does that, ugh

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

does someone have a string that needs tokenizing?! :q:

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

rotor posted:

its hard to beat for text processing

i did write a bunch of perl scripts for that for maxim integrated products as an intern so i guess you're right? my boss made me use it

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

does someone have a string that needs tokenizing?! :q:

what are you token about

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

come on cam, lets split

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

no, let's all join together

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I'm going to explode

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

you go ahead and do that

i am about to chop off a piece of cake and go chomp away it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that's what she sed!! :xd:

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

lmao

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Shameproof posted:

SNIPE What are some good programming blogs? I don't want to read a lot of things and I don't want to read any articles about how we are approaching intellectual doomsday by not using C or Lisp

they don't exist

the best of them are resume builders for web 2.0 kids who take ideas from classic books like code complete and the pragmatic programmer, wrapped up with a phoney "real life" problem, a dash of some fotm language or buzzword, and presented as some sort of revolutionary original thinking

that said jobs exist for people who like this sort of thing, facebook's actively recruiting a few developer evangelist roles right now for example

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

i'm having to give up my perl programming slowly as i take on more management :qq:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Dijkstracula posted:

before anybody defends it too hard just remember even smart people use them badly. Why do iostreams overload the shift operators for io operations, whyyyyy

And why does this appear in many beginning C++ books.
Let's teach a language:
Step 1: Here's a special case that's not used anywhere else.

Shameproof posted:

rands in repose
43 folders

depends on what you're interested in. There's more attention paid to frameworks than outright languages.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

can we talk about operator overloading? why is it such a polarizing language feature? some folks say it's very helpful, others say it makes code more difficult to read and is the devil

what's the REAL STORY, yospos?

it's super boss in ruby because sometimes you make an object where "addition" makes sense and you just want to do "faaa" + "rrrrt" or 5 + 6 or [4, 5] + [6, 7] and all of that makes sense

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Nice!

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

I think I would appreciate a programming language that requires operator overloading to be declared in the form of a modifier, so you get
code:
public operating class Vector4
{
	//fart
}
or whatever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shameproof posted:

I think I would appreciate a programming language that requires operator overloading to be declared in the form of a modifier, so you get
code:
public operating class Vector4
{
	//fart
}
or whatever

why

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Then I know right away from the declaration and the IDE that someone put operator overloads in it, plus it makes you think twice before doing it.
Of course I wouldn't want a whole language with that as it's only gimmick, or for a language to update and require it, but it would be nice if the C# guys had thought of it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shameproof posted:

Then I know right away from the declaration and the IDE that someone put operator overloads in it, plus it makes you think twice before doing it.
Of course I wouldn't want a whole language with that as it's only gimmick, or for a language to update and require it, but it would be nice if the C# guys had thought of it.

it's just extra syntax for something that's self evident (if the class has methods like "+" and "-" defined on it it overloads methods)

i'm sure you could make your ide look for that and warn infant babies like you accordingly

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

what programming language most fits into the D&D archetype of "chaotic neutral" tia

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shameproof posted:

what programming language most fits into the D&D archetype of "chaotic neutral" tia

qbasic

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sorry to ruin programming chat

jsninja.com posted:

JavaScript ... JavaScrriipt ... need ... JavaScriipt BRAAAIINNS!
Ensighten (Cupertino, California)
Posted:
June 20, 2012
Address:
1601 S. De Anza Blvd, Cupertino, CA
Cupertino, CA 95014
Occu:
Developers
Type:
Full-time
Simply Apply
Description:
Ensighten is seeking talented and creative entry level JavaScript developers for work with cutting edge web based solution development and deployment. Ensighten lives on the bleeding edge of JavaScript thus a solid foundation in JavaScript and CS in general coupled with a desire to learn is required to thrive in this ever evolving and challenging environment. Typical functions for this position will include tasks like learning and implementing third party JavaScript solutions, developing custom JavaScript solutions to accomplish innovative new tasks, and optimization and analysis of existing JavaScript implementations. If youre interested in being the first to do something, Ensighten is the incubator for talent youre seeking.

Qualifications:

Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience

An academic focus on web development and technology (AJAX, CSS, JS)

Strong foundation in java script:
o Scope resolution
o Closures
o DOM
o Load time (perceived vs actual)
o Cross browser compatibility
o OOP principles

Familiarity with 3rd party JavaScript solutions:
o Web Analytics (Google, Omniture, WebTrends, etc)
o Page Optimization (Google Page Optimizer, Omniture Test & Target, etc)
o Marketing and Ad Serving

Familiarity with the JavaScript development community:
o Douglas Crockford (JSLint, JSMin, java script: The Good Parts)
o Ryan Dahl (Node.js), John Resig (jQuery, this site!), Dean Edward (Packer)
o Steven Souders (Google, Yahoo)
o Nicholas Zakas (High Performance JavaScript)

Who are these losers and why do I need to know them for a job?

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Zombie Ninja Monkey Cheese

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
crockford is the javascript guy. he made json and wrote a lot about The Good Parts of javascript, which you should prob be familiar with. he also made jslint, which is a thing that forces you to write js code in a really strict style. employers like people who use jslint bc it "makes your code more readable"

ryan dahl made nodejs, which is server side js. lots of people say hes a retard. yospos usually spits out hearty lols at node, but i think its kind of neat.

john resig made jquery, which is the most used js framework and the one everyone uses

dean edwards made packer i guess? dunno why hes listed bc im pretty sure it was deteremined like 2 years ago that packer is dumb and it's actually better for the site user if you dont use it

i dont recognize the other guys names. they prob just wrote a lot about js and did boring tests and poo poo and said "you should use this thing b/c these benchmarks say so. the benchmarks! l@@k @ the benchmarks!!"

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

lol, that whole thing just means "copy/paste some jquery stuff"

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

also i don't think i could find a more stereotypical startup sounding job than that, jesus

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

This is one of the things that always pissed me off about javascript.

code:
function hello(thing) {
  console.log(this + " says hello " + thing);
}

person = { name: "Brendan Eich" }
person.hello = hello;

person.hello("world") // still desugars to person.hello.call(person, "world")

hello("world") // "[object DOMWindow]world"
That's basically a fancy example that shows that this, when used within a function, does not refer to the parent of the function, but rather whatever the function just happens to be attached or passed to at the moment. Way to go JS! :thumbsup:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is so gross

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Shaggar posted:

javascript is so gross

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

That's basically a fancy example that shows that this, when used within a function, does not refer to the parent of the function, but rather whatever the function just happens to be attached or passed to at the moment. Way to go JS! :thumbsup:

what do you mean by "parent?"

do you mean what it was first attached to?

why?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BonzoESC posted:

what do you mean by "parent?"

do you mean what it was first attached to?

why?

I mean the object it was instantiated with. See below:

code:
function YOSPOS() {
  this.butt = 5;

this.BITCH = function() {
    document.write(this.butt);
  };
}

function fn() {
  this.x = 0;
}

var x = new YOSPOS();
var y = new fn();

y.bitch = x.BITCH; 

x.BITCH(); // res: 5
y.bitch(); // res: undefined because this refers to y now.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

I mean the object it was instantiated with. See below:

code:
function YOSPOS() {
  this.butt = 5;

this.BITCH = function() {
    document.write(this.butt);
  };
}

function fn() {
  this.x = 0;
}

var x = new YOSPOS();
var y = new fn();

y.bitch = x.BITCH; 

x.BITCH(); // res: 5
y.bitch(); // res: undefined because this refers to y now.

why would you make that restriction?

it's more useful to have it not care about "this" until it's evaluated, that way you can attach it to other objects without having to re-instantiate it

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
lua ftw

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

rotor posted:

perl owns and if ur a perl guy in teh bay area get me ur resume

what do pl guys in the bay area make

trex eaterofcadrs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 12, 2012

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BonzoESC posted:

why would you make that restriction?

it's more useful to have it not care about "this" until it's evaluated, that way you can attach it to other objects without having to re-instantiate it

What? When I define a function, I want it to react pretty predictably to inputs given. I'd rather not allow for a whole new set of errors to be allowed by having "this" resolve to whatever the function happens to have been assigned to at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

the best thing is when you're doing poo poo with a callback inside a function prototype and you have to do something like

JavaScript code:
Yospos.prototype.smoke = function(weed) {
    weed.smoke();
    var self = this;
    setTimeout(86400, function() { self.smoke(weed) });
}