Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

deleted; what was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

nerve posted:

Is there any defending caucuses? Please let this poo poo die

They are an expression of the party. If the party chooses to make them a poo poo show, it gets what it deserves. There's no reason the public should have to bail them out of their own incompetence.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

deleted; what was it?

https://mobile.twitter.com/elainaplott/status/702316049224433664

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

They are an expression of the party. If the party chooses to make them a poo poo show, it gets what it deserves. There's no reason the public should have to bail them out of their own incompetence.

YCS: That's okay, things are gonna be okay

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm not sure I really buy the argument that the state shouldn't regulate party internals (like caucuses). The political parties are part of our democracy now, whether we like it or not, and the government should have some say in how its own political process works. If we aren't going to do anything to end the two party system, then having this say means we should regulate the party apparatus.

Note this is totally an argument from "should", not "constitutionally/feasibly could". I don't have enough knowledge of the structure of government to make a definitive claim either way there.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
https://twitter.com/NVGOP/status/702332313061883904

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

VikingofRock posted:

I'm not sure I really buy the argument that the state shouldn't regulate party internals (like caucuses). The political parties are part of our democracy now, whether we like it or not, and the government should have some say in how its own political process works. If we aren't going to do anything to end the two party system, then having this say means we should regulate the party apparatus.

Note this is totally an argument from "should", not "constitutionally/feasibly could". I don't have enough knowledge of the structure of government to make a definitive claim either way there.

If you're unsatisfied with how one political party runs things, you have an alternative. Again, there's no reason that the state, the collective people, should have to bail out a party that doesn't take its own organization seriously.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Joementum posted:

If you're unsatisfied with how one political party runs things, you have an alternative. Again, there's no reason that the state, the collective people, should have to bail out a party that doesn't take its own organization seriously.

OK and then if you have two? Or even one. The parties are bottlenecks on political power and political participation. To trust the wisdom of the market will find a better way means potentially decades of worse dysfunction than we have now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

menino posted:

OK and then if you have two? Or even one. The parties are bottlenecks on political power and political participation. To trust the wisdom of the market will find a better way means potentially decades of worse dysfunction than we have now.

If the members of one party are dissatisfied with how things are being run, they can volunteer and organize to change things. All those precincts tonight are being run by volunteers. If the Republicans of Nevada think they can do better, they're free to do so. In fact, that's the first order of business at each caucus precinct: electing the precinct chair. The party system is highly permeable.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Its also worth noting that there are hundreds of caucus sites all over the state with media and cell phones ready to go. The few that descend into raving madness get covered.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

If the members of one party are dissatisfied with how things are being run, they can volunteer and organize to change things. All those precincts tonight are being run by volunteers. If the Republicans of Nevada think they can do better, they're free to do so. In fact, that's the first order of business at each caucus precinct: electing the precinct chair. The party system is highly permeable.

Which is what let the Paulites wreck so much havoc last time.

A person with knowledge of Roberts Rules can be very dangerous indeed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shifty Pony posted:

Which is what let the Paulites wreck so much havoc last time.

A person with knowledge of Roberts Rules can be very dangerous indeed.

That was amazing, and imo a feature, not a bug.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NVGOP 2003: "There have been no official reports of troop irregularities within Baghdad."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

You know what is going to be the most aggravating part of all this? All those "Brooks Brothers Riot" fuckers are going to be screaming from the rooftops about "vote count shenanigans" when Trump wins

It may end up being too cynically hypocritical even for me

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

You know what is going to be the most aggravating part of all this? All those "Brooks Brothers Riot" fuckers are going to be screaming from the rooftops about "vote count shenanigans" when Trump wins

It may end up being too cynically hypocritical even for me
Wasn't Cruz one of those guys?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/wendycarrillo/status/702340149535854592

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Fox just had an entrance poll of Nevada's Hispanic republican caucus-goers. Trump won a plurality with 41%

What the gently caress

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

stinkles1112 posted:

Fox just had an entrance poll of Nevada's Hispanic republican caucus-goers. Trump won a plurality with 41%

What the gently caress
He won 8% of what sample size with 41%? Is a sample that small even meaningful?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

stinkles1112 posted:

What the gently caress

Entrance polls are wildly inaccurate as an indicator of the general population.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lmaooo

What the GOP this flagrantly white-only in 2012? I honestly don't remember

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Lmaooo

have you been following US politics at any point over the past 20 years

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

I have but I'd be interested to see the trend line. Like as much as a fun joke as it is, it's hard to believe that the GOP is actually getting MORE white over time - or even just not staying still - considering the demographic trends. 96% white in SC, 86% in NV...these aren't states with marginal minority populations

I mean not HARD to believe, but I'd say that the odds are so against something like that being the case that I'd almost be willing to bet against it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epic High Five posted:

Lmaooo

I don't know about primary voters, but in the 2012 election whites were 72% of the electorate. Romney won the white vote 59-39, but lost the election 47-51. This means that 90% of Romney's voters were white.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

What're Nevada's racial demographics? I thought it was heavily white, although not as much as the Republican primary.

Svanja posted:

Maybe get data from unbiased researchers?
And LOL... Ted Nugent is on the Board of Directors. http://crimeresearch.org/about-us/

And how do you feel about the ncpa.org link I gave that uses data from Dept. of Corrections?

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I have but I'd be interested to see the trend line. Like as much as a fun joke as it is, it's hard to believe that the GOP is actually getting MORE white over time - or even just not staying still - considering the demographic trends. 96% white in SC, 86% in NV...these aren't states with marginal minority populations

I mean not HARD to believe, but I'd say that the odds are so against something like that being the case that I'd almost be willing to bet against it

Pew posted:

In 2009, 88% of Republicans are white, unchanged from 2000 and far above the national total.
http://www.people-press.org/2009/05/21/section-1-party-affiliation-and-composition/

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

DeusExMachinima posted:

What're Nevada's racial demographics? I thought it was heavily white, although not as much as the Republican primary.

According to the US Census, Nevada is 51.5% non-hispanic whites. Over one-quarter of the population id's as hispanic/latino.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DeusExMachinima posted:

65% White non-hispanic, 20% hispanic, 5% Asian, 7% black

Edit: Oops, that was based on the 2000 census. Above post has correct numbers

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man that's some dire, damning poo poo. I can't believe they looked at those numbers and trends in 2009 and still pressed the Tea Party Time button

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I didn't realize Nevada grew so much, but it's more than doubled from 1990-2010.

I knew about the housing bubble making Vegas a popular place to live, but the state will probably hit 3 million by the next census, which is insane.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Prior to 2008 the GOP wasn't nearly as bad as it is now

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2004/

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Yeah, I think Obama getting elected was the end for the Dixiecrats, who hadn't yet gotten the memo of the Southern Strategy.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
I think this is not the same statistic. We were looking at the racial composition of the party, not the party preference of the racial group. The Republican party is much more white than white people are Republicans (apparently by something like 40%).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

He won 8% of what sample size with 41%? Is a sample that small even meaningful?

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/702365939145314304

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Going back to 1996, the GOP voters were 90+% white pretty much always except 2004 (when whites were 87% of the GOP electorate).

I mean granted, whites were a much larger proportion back in the day as well (whites were 83% of the electorate in 1996 compared with 72% in 2012) but it's not inaccurate to say that the GOP won the white vote or that their voters were mostly white.

The closest margin Democrats had was in 1996, when whites went 46-44 in favor of Dole. The farthest was Obama in 2012. Can you guess the second farthest? Kerry, in 2004. He lost whites 58-41, compared with Obama who lost 59-39 in 2012.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Numbers that low you can entirely write off as crazies.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I've just now flipped to thinking Trump is more likely than not to be the nominee.

We could be witnessing the beginning of one of the most massive, epic electoral rear end-kickings the GOP has ever suffered.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Are there still goons who think Trump won't be the nominee? Are they the same goons who think Marco Rubio coming in 3rd means he's really first because (numbers)?

Forget it Jake, it's USPol.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
I'm convinced that Trump is a Clinton plant meant to be a paper tiger in the general

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I work in renewables(wind), and will likely be losing my job if Trump wins as he holds a massive grudge against the industry. These developments are pretty unsettling to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Freezer posted:

I work in renewables(wind), and will likely be losing my job if Trump wins as he holds a massive grudge against the industry. These developments are pretty unsettling to say the least.

At least you won't be like one of the millions who will be voting to have their healthcare stripped. Kynect was just a preview :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread