Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

EBB posted:

LC/MS?

I primarily do protein crystallography, from growing the crystals for my experiments to most if not all the computational work for the lab after we collect x-ray diffraction data.

I know the basics of protein purification and how to use our FPLC, but this is what I'm supposed to train the interns on for most of their time.

I wish we did LCMS in our lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Like jerkoff crystals?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Those would be boring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You shouldn't bore into your JO crystals, it drains the energy you spent so much time building by JOing with your bros.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Every crystal is sacred.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My kind of LC/MS involves liquefied Dalton Mice.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Oh God I'm thinking about grad school

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

Oh God I'm thinking about grad school

Good, everyone should be. I'm thinking of a PhD program for next August when I finish up my MSW next May

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Even if you had the undergrad paid for via the GI Bill, even if you don't have enough to cover grad school with it, even if you have to take loans, you'll still be ahead of your peers if you go to grad school.

I ended up spending close to 50k to get my graduate degree. I made that back in three years of salary difference.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm not even done with my program yet but the things I have learned are getting me noticed in a good way, so worth it. The wall exists though. I feel like I've been writing the same paper every weekend for 18 months and it's starting to grind on me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

Even if you had the undergrad paid for via the GI Bill, even if you don't have enough to cover grad school with it, even if you have to take loans, you'll still be ahead of your peers if you go to grad school.

I ended up spending close to 50k to get my graduate degree. I made that back in three years of salary difference.

Huh. My wife and I were discussing this possibility. I asked if doing grad school in Italy would be worth it to her even if we took on debt. She said yes and this is kinda a sign from the universe I guess.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Just go in with your eyes wide open and a plan in mind so your degree is complementary. If you go, push yourself and take on research, real leadership positions, extracurricular activities and whatever. My advisor likes me cause I haven't avoided hard classes and I've made an effort to coach, do research and push myself. Other professors notice it as well so even though I gave some really harsh reviews, they are passing out my resume to recruiters. Also make sure you go to a place with a good culture.

I'm really bummed I only have 4 weeks left here, two years has disappeared and I'm not sure I'll ever get back to academia.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean don't get me wrong, grad school isn't for everyone. You need to do a strong assessment of what you plan on doing with that grad degree. It's not a free meal ticket for every field.

Remember that undergrad is where you pick the general area you want to work, graduate work and beyond is where you specialize.

Do the math for what entry level bachelors degrees net you, and then compare them to graduate. Then do the same for the equivalent journeyman rating. Plan out at least five years.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm thinking about going to the University of Edinburgh. They have an American Civil War program and the current hotness in Civil War history is to examine the effects our war had on the rest of the world. My elevator pitch refers it as "seeing how the ripples from the rock dropped on our side of the Atlantic rock the boats on the other."

There'd be a modest out-of-pocket (anywhere from $3000 to $10000 depending on how the pound exchanges with the dollar when I go), but I have enough GI Bill left to cover the entire time. Because an MA only takes one year there.

Also, many many thanks to Barcley for this:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Another thing to take note is that there's a recession coming. 100%. When the axe comes it's going to come swift and it's going to come hard, and it's gonna be bad.

When it happens, it'll be some of the people at the top and almost all of the people at the bottom. The people left in the middle will be expected to pick up the slack.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vasudus posted:

Another thing to take note is that there's a recession coming. 100%. When the axe comes it's going to come swift and it's going to come hard, and it's gonna be bad.

When it happens, it'll be some of the people at the top and almost all of the people at the bottom. The people left in the middle will be expected to pick up the slack.

everything will crater about the 4th week in January 2021 so that the GOP can blame it on the then-3-day-old Warren presidency.

The upside is, if you're looking to buy a house you can make out like a villain. I basically saved 70 grand on mine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I figure this next recession will hit just at the wrong time for me as it did in 2008 when I was failing out of college on my first try.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm hoping I have stable employment come this recession so I can buy a house/condo at market lows w/ cheap mortgage rates. Preferably government work, although I work for a large utility which is probably the next best thing after government or healthcare in terms of avoiding layoffs in economic downturns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

Or you can go to law school and not make more than $50k for years.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hey y’all I have a degree in philosophy and was thinking of law school in 2019 I mean I’m pretty smart thoughts?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

hey y’all I have a degree in philosophy and was thinking of law school in 2019 I mean I’m pretty smart thoughts?

Totally. Have you thought about enlisting in the Navy undesignated? You can be any rate you want

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thought about doing that to help save for law school but I could easily just get a commission while enlisted anyway right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thought about doing that to help save for law school but I could easily just get a commission while enlisted anyway right?

Yeah, bro, it's super easy. You're pretty much guaranteed a slot once you have your degree, I just can't put that in your contract.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
And the panicked emails from people who are unable to use vmware despite 16 weeks of class roll in

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Like Vmware esxi?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm hoping I have stable employment come this recession so I can buy a house/condo at market lows w/ cheap mortgage rates. Preferably government work, although I work for a large utility which is probably the next best thing after government or healthcare in terms of avoiding layoffs in economic downturns.

Ditto. After graduation I'm planning to go for public service job somewhere and qualify for student loan forgiveness (assuming it still exists in May 2020). Once the next Big Crash happens I'll pickup a starter home somewhere in the 'burbs for cheap.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Approximately 3% of people that qualified for student loan forgiveness have received it. It's a hell of a gamble that I wouldn't personally consider.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CommieGIR posted:

Like Vmware esxi?

Finals are done on a machine you have to provision yourself in vsphere.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah I wouldn't be betting on student loan forgiveness. Betsy DeVos is doing her level best to shut that down by slow walking everything and denying it for literally any thing possibly imaginable up to and including you missing the filing date because they didn't give it to themselves.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vasudus posted:

Approximately 3% of people that qualified for student loan forgiveness have received it. It's a hell of a gamble that I wouldn't personally consider.

lol about 10 years after the federal service forgiveness started a lot of folks found out to their surprise that they weren't on a qualifying plan.....

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I know someone who got their debt forgiven so :shrug:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I know someone who got their debt forgiven so :shrug:

I was able to get all my Federal Subsidized (and for me that was all of the remaining) forgiven this time last year once I received my 100% (schedular) rating. YMMV.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bird food bathtub posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be betting on student loan forgiveness. Betsy DeVos is doing her level best to shut that down by slow walking everything and denying it for literally any thing possibly imaginable up to and including you missing the filing date because they didn't give it to themselves.

I'm not really betting on it, but if it's available I certainly plan on taking advantage of it. I already have the "right" kind of loans (Federal Direct), but even if I don't quality I'll still try to find a government job. Looking at Infosec once I get my Security+ this summer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Finals are done on a machine you have to provision yourself in vsphere.

I couldn't help but laugh, because this is so incredibly easy.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Just closed out Stats II with a 100.3% and I am surprised/relieved. Not a fan of mathy classes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

nice one man, huge relief for sure. Stats is a tough class and I had no fun with it

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Finished my MBA culminating experience so one degree down. My advisor set Monday as submission for my full capstone rough so it's going to be a long weekend. Just have to build a neural network and do some minor classwork after that and then maybe start looking for a job. Gotta go to Tucson and coach the rugby team first though....

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Closed with 3.52 vs 4.0 last semester cause gotta cram cram cram. 16 to go after fall.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

All said and done I kept my 3.8 GPA. All As except a B in Ecology, which I was worried about failing at one point. All my gen eds are done now except for 3 credits of science, the rest is pure English for the next three semesters. In the fall I take Shakespeare, Linguistics, Writing in Medicine, and American Lit.

Again, thanks a ton to the gippers who helped me with my sociolinguistics paper. It was the highlight of my semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Two As and two Bs in my chemistry classes, and a C in my math class. Not the best but I'll take it.

Now I get to teach one or two summer undergrad interns on protein crystallography. Fun stuff.