Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I for one believe we need a sole power, the masses of both nobles and traders have proven that group government is a farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Forest
Mar 4, 2015

Talas posted:

I propose the gently caress It, Take More Loans Act.

After losing our piggy banks colonies, we are in serious need of more gold stuff, a new navy, new buildings, and a new Grand Vizier with a head on his shoulders. Sadly, we are going to have to let some debts go into default... and well, take some more with some dubious awesome merchants. I mean, we are going to need more money just to have a revolution functional government.

This looks fun

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

100% of the current religious Majil caucus have voted to do away with the Shi’ite ‘reformed Ulema’. If anyone wants to keep it and persist with staying Shi’a, they are keeping pretty quiet about it. When the revolution comes, the Sunni banners will come with it.

The plurality has backed religion folding up and leaving the Majils entirely.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Greener Pastures Act

Allah forgive me, but gently caress Al-Andalus. Pick up our toys and assume control of Juzur Qarbiya or less preferably, Ibriz (put this up to a vote if for some insane reason this is allowed or gains traction,) to tango with the likely imminent independent French/Moroccan/Celtic/English colonials. New world ahoy!

Why Qarbiya? More interesting government type that lends itself well to goon discourse, pure and simple. And probably more challenging.

If that's completely unfeasible, however, uhhhh...

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Trial Act

- Any upper-level government official (member of the Majlis, for example), or member of the nobility has the right to a fair trial in the presence of the Majlis if accused of a crime. The Majlis will decide the accused's guilt via a simple majority vote. Guilt must be established in this way before any punishment can take place

- No man or body, not even the Sultan, has the authority to deny or circumvent this aforementioned right.

This.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Talas posted:

After losing our piggy banks colonies, we are in serious need of more gold stuff, a new navy, new buildings, and a new Grand Vizier with a head on his shoulders. Sadly, we are going to have to let some debts go into default... and well, take some more with some dubious awesome merchants. I mean, we are going to need more money just to have a revolution functional government.

Supported. We must do what is in the best interest of our long term profits nation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Trial Act

- Any upper-level government official (member of the Majlis, for example), or member of the nobility has the right to a fair trial in the presence of the Majlis if accused of a crime. The Majlis will decide the accused's guilt via a simple majority vote. Guilt must be established in this way before any punishment can take place

- No man or body, not even the Sultan, has the authority to deny or circumvent this aforementioned right.

Switching my support to this.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AJ_Impy posted:

You know what, I can work with this. Add in getting rid of the Sultan's unusual religious innovations and I'll back you up.

Sounds like a deal. If the Greatest favored the heirs of Ali and they were righteous, we wouldn't be in this mess.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Man, Al Andalus can never catch a break.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

A companion act to this one:

I propose The Burn it to the Ground Act of 1753

1. Take out the maximum amount of loans to be spent however the sultan/administration sees fit

2. If any revolutionary rebels spawn, they are not to be engaged under any circumstance.

Supporting

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Cowards and traitors here. Tsk tsk.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Session closed.:siren: Looks like the Taifas are bent on attempting to depose the Sultan and installing the Majlis as the only ruling body in Al Andalus. The Merchants might get in the way of that by essentially bankrupting the sultanate, not gonna be great for the Majlis as a whole with this. The Ulema are a bit of a mess, with some calling for complete disbandment of the clergy (for some reason), and others bent on launching a coup of their own and overthrowing the sultan. Finally, the Diwan seem to fine with the carnage all around them, and are most focused with getting through the oncoming storm in one piece.

So yeah. This is gonna end well.

Luhood posted:

I propose the Andalusi Reconstruction Act! We are to, in no specific order:

• Secure an Alliance with a great power in order to stave of any hostility and aggression from Morocco and France in this time of strife.
  • Do our best to pay off our rampaging debts before they take us out first.
Once these both are done I am sure there are other things we need to be doing in terms of other Acts and Propositions.

Luhood, RZApublican.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The time has long passed for such half measures. Al-Andalus was betrayed during this war, not just by Hishami dogs or the Archduke of Sausage, but by our own Sultan! In a fit of pique and madness, he murdered our Grand Vizier, in the middle of a war! His position inspires every mad pretender and their mercenary legions! No more! The Majlis made a mistake with al-Muhsin, in accepting any Jizrunid to take the throne! I say no more! I propose:

The Deposition and Reorganization Act

1. Depose and arrest Sultan Ali as a traitor.
2. Institute the direct rule of the Majlis over Al-Andalus. (as a Noble Republic or something, this is still debatable).

Lord Cyrahzax, Frionnel, Rodyle, ThatBasqueGuy, everydayfalls, Snipee.

Soup du Jour posted:

Proposing the Defense in Depth act, to upgrade all our forts to the highest level as soon as possible starting with those closest to our coastal borders. If possible, we should also have forts in every state at the least.

Soup du Jour, GunnerJ.

really queer Christmas posted:

I propose The Burn it to the Ground Act of 1753

1. Take out the maximum amount of loans to be spent however the sultan/administration sees fit
2. If any revolutionary rebels spawn, they are not to be engaged under any circumstance.

really queer Christmas, Crazycryodude, Technowolf.

Talas posted:

Talas, QuoProQuid, Ralepozozaxe, Camoes, frankenfreak, Strange Forest, Ikasuhito.

MaxieSatan posted:

Friends, though I will not endorse their proposals openly, those calling for revolution are wise to see that we have a choice before us: innovate or die. We cannot continue digging ourselves deeper into the same hole and expecting it to turn out fine; we must take this opportunity to truly realign our goals and right this wayward ship we call a sultanate.

I do not say this lightly; with the loss of our Gharbian empire, I, and indeed the entire Makshi family, have lost a fortune - no doubt the same is true for many of you. But Sevilla remains the gateway to Mediterranean trade, and Andalusia remains a golden land - should we succumb to hopelessness when we still have so much left to fight for?!

To this end, I propose the Administrative and Economic Restructure Act, or, if you prefer something more poetic, the Midas' Plea Policy. It goes as follows:

1) Reform the economy to incorporate new ideas such as free markets and centralized banking. By doing so we may stabilize inflation and increase revenue.
2) Enact austerity policies with regards to construction, the military, and any other drains on the economy. Especially forts, of which we surely have plenty in strategic areas - sufficient troops not so much.

Gentlemen, the future of this country is as ceramic thrust straight from the kiln and into your hands. Accept it though it may pain you, or let it fall to the ground and shatter.

MaxieSatan.

Slaan posted:

I propose the Godless Heathens Act:
1. The Ulema will be disbanded at the next session of the Majils.
2. Mosques and religiously affiliated buildings will be sold off first in the event we need to for payment of our debts. No new religious buildings may be constructed.

You throw away the Word of Allah, then his followers will no longer support this realm. Let's see how much worse you do without even the presence of his followers.

Slaan, Chatrapati.

Vinny Possum posted:

Islamic Revolution act

I propose the Ulema back the upcoming Taifa coup so that the righteous manage to have some say in the new government. Let us pray that The All Seeing will make his will known to the Majlis and they will not ignore it like these godless tyrants have.
As the Hadith says: “If a person who is appointed in authority over people, does not look after the people with goodwill and sincerity, he will not get even the aroma of paradise.”
The Sultan must go. Glory to God.

Vinny Possum, AJ_Impy.

paragon1 posted:

Hit the Books Act

All tech types must be advanced as far as they can possibly go, barring ruinous expense.
All Majlis entertainment and recreation budgets are to be reduced by 4/5ths.
No tequila, no partying.

paragon1, Danny Glands.

mcclay posted:

Restoration of Order Act
1. All loans must be paid off before any buildings are to be built
2. Once the loans are paid off Town Halls must be built in the states with the highest maintenance and most autonomy.

mcclay, Jeoh.

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Trial Act

unwantedplatypus, Erwin the German, Pakled.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:sherman:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Hey guys, I found out how this is going to end!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

:getin:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nah it's going to be like this:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
This is actually how it will end up.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I used my vote to flee to Ibriz. You guys can deal with this mess.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I will note that my proposal was to work with the Taifa to overthrow the sultan, in exchange for a the clergy getting a seat at the table in the upcoming republic, not just trying to launch our own coup as the smallest faction.

Really, it should end up like this.

Vinny Possum fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 27, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Vinny Possum posted:

I will note that my proposal was to work with the Taifa to overthrow the sultan, in exchange for a the clergy getting a seat at the table in the upcoming republic, not just trying to launch our own coup as the smallest faction.

Yeah, but that would be one-sided, so it doesn't really make sense. The Taifas are the largest faction, and so have little reason to make concessions to the smallest faction when they'll be the dominating influence/power anyways. That's why the largest factions aren't allowed to form coalitions with anyone else, because they have no reason to. Also, the size of the faction isn't the only consideration - the fact that most of Al Andalus is Sunni will also play a huge part, especially since the Majlis has done nothing to prevent the rise in religious tensions over recent decades.

That said, if the Taifas' coup does somehow end up going exactly as they planned it (unlikely), then the whole Majlis will be represented anyways, since the Taifas didn't specify otherwise.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well, I dunno if the Taifas are gonna accept your help, they don't really need it being the biggest faction with the loyalty of the army and all. A couple marginalized minority priests don't have much power to demand concessions with, and there's been a pretty anti-clerical bent to the rhetoric so far....

E: Beaten by Hashim.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Everytime we try and get our poo poo together we just get it wrecked, maybe this time against all odds things will go smoothly?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, I dunno if the Taifas are gonna accept your help, they don't really need it being the biggest faction with the loyalty of the army and all. A couple marginalized minority priests don't have much power to demand concessions with, and there's been a pretty anti-clerical bent to the rhetoric so far....

E: Beaten by Hashim.

We're not asking for concessions. We're bringing the Sunni majority with us. It's your party, we're just here for the ride.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AJ_Impy posted:

We're not asking for concessions. We're bringing the Sunni majority with us. It's your party, we're just here for the ride.

Agreed, but I'm willing to go it solo if the Taifas won't have have us. Seems like since everyone is on Fight or Flight mode we might as well chose Fight.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We're going full Zuhriman, because every Paradox LP comes back to the Hohenzollern thread in the end.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If the sultan goes, you can sure as hell believe that the masses are going to go start looking for more blood

Strange Forest
Mar 4, 2015
Can't wait to see what happens

:regd08:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Who knew that we could collapse even harder than OTL Spain?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Well, if we are wrecking things when trying to succeed, maybe trying to wreck things will bring success! :getin:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Why Al-Andalus is not Iberia

In an attempt to consider how truly boned we are, I decided to go back and re-read the Zuhriman chapters of HohenLP.

In 1760 in their timeline, relatively close to now, they also lost control of their Mexican colony, Mazula. However, unlike us, they still had colonies all over South America and in South Africa. They also lost their Louisiana colony. Comparatively, they were also the #3 Great Power compared to us, who are no longer even in the top 8. Narratively, they were an absolute monarchy, thus allowing their revolution to be very strong. Tactically, France was breaking into two countries, where as our Provence is nowhere near the power of Aquitaine. Morocco was also no allowed to consolidate power, making Iberia have no neighbours actually having a powerful enough army to rush them down. The other thing that Iberia had was another revolutionary country to back it up, namely revanchist France. As far as I can tell, they had no wars during their revolution, allowing them to rebuild. After all of these advantages, they still lost. We, comparatively, are doomed.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I mean, i'm sure the Taifas would be willing to listen to the desires of the Ulema and try to work out a deal before shooting them down. Never a bad idea to have even more support.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Uhhhh. So. If the revolutionary rebels come, we're totally surrendering, right? Can someone please tell me that we are not going to waste an obscene amount of time, money, energy, and lives trying to suppress our own project?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Snipee posted:

Uhhhh. So. If the revolutionary rebels come, we're totally surrendering, right? Can someone please tell me that we are not going to waste an obscene amount of time, money, energy, and lives trying to suppress our own project?

Hahahhaha

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Snipee posted:

You just need to trust in the Taifas. Revolution from above, baby

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
All that I wanted to do was to help usher in the Islamic communist revolution. That's all that many of us have ever wanted. :ohdear:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

Why would the Sultan not slaughter people trying to take his throne away?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Wait, did you guys seriously think he was gonna surrender to revolutionary rebels? oh jesus this is gonna end badly

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
That does generally seem to be how things go in Al-Andalus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

What? No, I voted for the glorious militarist noble revolution! The Taifas are going to get rid of that gross war-losing hunchback and remake Al-Andalus in our image!