Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Metapod posted:

The compulsion is there to show that no matter how far you stray from your nature your blood is still the same as everyone else in your clan.

Yes, obviously. The problem isn't the fact of an inescapable blood curse, the problem is that the actual specifics of the blood curse are a lazy cart-before-the-horse kludge job.

I wouldn't say this for most of V5's mechanics, but the clan compulsions are honest to god worse than the old clan weaknesses in most if not all cases. Compare the Brujah: Revised/V20 Brujah just get a penalty to resist anger frenzy, combined with cheap access to the most straightforward physical disciplines, so they've got hair-trigger tempers and the muscle they need to get away with having hair-trigger tempers a lot of the time. Their reputation as malcontents and revolutionaries is clearly an outgrowth of the fact that they have a harder time staying cool in the face of provocation. It's not that Brujah are naturally rebellious or political - nobody likes being told what to do, but a Toreador or Nosferatu or something is less likely to snap and go berserk the fifth or tenth or twentieth time that some rear end in a top hat harpy mouths off at them.

Meanwhile V5 Brujah all have intermittently-active oppositional defiance disorder. And there's at least a gem of something there, too: the fact that your clan weakness is more likely to happen the hungrier you are is smart design. But instead of actually thinking what kind of subtle, immanent blood curse might result in the existing clan stereotype, the devs just tell you to act out your clan stereotype. Garbage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's okay for families to share traits yall and that's what clans are vampire families

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
If a vampire loses their Ordo Dracul status should they still be able to upgrade their coils yes/no

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Metapod posted:

It's okay for families to share traits yall and that's what clans are vampire families

You're being very dishonest. No one is against families sharing traits. The Nosferatu, for instance, share many traits: they're all hideously ugly, they're all naturally proficient with Animalism, Obfuscate, and Potence, they all create more Nosferatu when they sire new vampires. In Revised, the Nosferatu clan weakness began and ended with "you have Appearance 0 and can never raise it". The fact that they all lived underground or otherwise out of sight, the fact that many of them were spies and information brokers, etc. all flowed logically out of the fact that they didn't want to be looked at and they had a power set well suited for hiding and spying. If Nosferatu had to make a saving throw vs. pointless sitcom character secret-keeping on top of all this it wouldn't just be insultingly stupid, it'd be redundant.

Like, imagine if the V5 Nosferatu compulsion was an aversion to light that gave you a penalty until you got out of direct illumination or an intensified penalty on first impressions as your flesh visibly withers and tightens and makes you even more repellent. Anything but this hot-blooded Spaniard/criminally-inclined Slav poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of: Here's the video for the Werewolf creative team for the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzfAWlJkshE and here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZZ7Q2Lsvc

Thanks! added to the OP

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The point of the nos one is to force your ugly face into a social scene of some sort. Is it perfect probably not but I don't see the issue of having shared good and bad traits from the original vampires creating thus creating some stereotypes. Also there are many different types of compulsions you're not always doing your clan one unless your ST is only using it

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Down With People posted:

If a vampire loses their Ordo Dracul status should they still be able to upgrade their coils yes/no

Rules as Written? No. You can't have any non-Mystery Coil at a level that exceeds your Covenant Status, and if you lose your status you also technically are no longer part of that Mystery.

Edit: I'd argue that an ex-Dragon could operate as an apostate and do self study to advance Coils they already began to learn. However, without access to the existing social structure and knowledge of the Ordo Dracul, their progress would be severely hampered and probably come with an increase in XP costs to advance.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 1, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Metapod posted:

The point of the nos one is to force your ugly face into a social scene of some sort. Is it perfect probably not but I don't see the issue of having shared good and bad traits from the original vampires creating thus creating some stereotypes. Also there are many different types of compulsions you're not always doing your clan one unless your ST is only using it

Again, you are being dishonest. This isn't about "shared good and bad traits creating some stereotyes" because those already existed long before V5. Nosferatu share bad traits, like burning in sunlight and being unable to pass for human. They also share good traits, like super-strength. The problem is the stereotypes themselves being reified as game rules. It'd be like if Ventrue took a -2 die penalty until they joined the Camarilla, or if Malkavians lost -2 dice until they hit someone with a trout. I've been judiciously ignoring the obvious political and moral problems with a game that claims specific maladaptive personality traits are inherited unavoidably through your blood because even if you think Ravnos stealing frenzies are A-Okay the actual technical game design means by which those behaviors have been added to the game are clumsy and awful.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
How am I being dishonest? It's how the game v5 does it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

the actual technical game design means by which those behaviors have been added to the game are clumsy and awful.

Yeah they need to change it to the LA by night house rule

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Metapod posted:

How am I being dishonest? It's how the game v5 does it

You are being dishonest by claiming that the issue is of whether there should be "shared good and bad traits from the original vampires", rather than that the clan compulsions are specifically bad and a definitive step down from past editions of Masquerade. It'd be crazy to claim that vampires of the same clan shouldn't share traits! So crazy, in fact, that no one has said that.

Metapod posted:

Yeah they need to change it to the LA by night house rule

Having a 2% instead of a 5% of entering a Ravnos stealing frenzy doesn't actually fix the problem. The clan compulsions should be rewritten so as to resemble blood curses rather than ethnic stereotypes, or simply outright deleted.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 1, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Where did ethnic stereotypes come from???

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I like compulsions like I said they add a little spice to failed social rolls but each to their own

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Also I'm having a hard time seeing how the compulsions aren't apart of blood curses when they are derived from the original curse kane did on them

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Just to be clear I'm not saying that any system does the job better or worse just the reason why compulsions are in v5

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Metapod posted:

Where did ethnic stereotypes come from???

The Ravnos have historically been cursed with literally acting out ethnic stereotypes, but the clan compulsions as written have the form of ethnic or racial stereotypes even if their content only occasionally matches. Certain types of people are rowdy and insubordinate. Certain types of people are flighty and undisciplined. Certain types of people are nosy and untrustworthy. It's just in their blood.

The smart thing about pre-V5 oWoD and the nWoD both is that it created a situation in which (most) stereotypes about different clans or paths or whatever logically arose from those clans' really-existing traits. Again: V20 Nosferatu don't fall into a secret-keeping frenzy if they fail a roll. They're just ugly and good at turning invisible. Is the stereotype that Nosferatu are sneaky gossips true? Well, yes, it frequently is, but not because Nosferatu have extra computer hacking tendons in their fingers. It's because of the material circumstances most Nosferatu find themselves in.

Metapod posted:

Also I'm having a hard time seeing how the compulsions aren't apart of blood curses when they are derived from the original curse kane did on them

Again, compare pre and post-V5 Nosferatu. The actual curse on the Nosferatu is that they're shockingly deformed and hideous. It's a physical or supernatural trait that imposes on members of the clan from without (or "within" but like, within their blood vessels). I suppose they could have an additional, weaker curse that makes them become nosy and pointlessly annoying 5% of the time (or, if you had your way, 2% of the time). But that would be stupid, and if anything detract from the narrative impact of their clan's actual defining feature.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 2, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What makes it a ethnic stereotype though? Is it determined by where the vampire is from? Like Ravnos from France do this but Ravnos from Iran do that?

Yeah they are just leaning in on common tropes of each clan which is good. The nos curse is still there in their bane so it's still there just something else was added on top of that

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Metapod posted:

What makes it a ethnic stereotype though? Is it determined by where the vampire is from? Like Ravnos from France do this but Ravnos from Iran do that?

Yeah they are just leaning in on common tropes of each clan which is good. The nos curse is still there in their bane so it's still there just something else was added on top of that

Holy shut. gently caress off.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Down With People posted:

Make 'em have to poach a Wyrm's Nest if they want to do this.

Not necessarily from the Ordo, just, any given suitable site for a Wyrm's Nest is likely to have somebody out there who thinks you poached it from them. Or if not, somebody interested in poaching it from you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Metapod posted:

It is LIKE an ethnic (or gender, or...) stereotype in that it postulates that certain very specific and consciously-controlled behaviors and preferences, like playing with dolls instead of trucks or getting mouthy and insubordinate instead of properly obeying authority, are innate bloodborne character traits rather than outcomes of your life circumstances. Do you understand the difference I'm trying to draw between a clan weakness like "you have a harder time resisting frenzy" and a clan weakness like "you become defiant when people ask you to do things", or "you look inhuman" and "you are obsessed with learning secrets"? I think I've been pretty clear but it doesn't seem to be landing.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Free Gratis posted:

I'm confident in that there's won't be any international incidents or piss play, which is great. I'm still not a fan of Ericsson's broader changes in V5 like the Second Inquisition and the Beckoning, and I will be beyond disappointed if a New Impergium becomes the prevailing zeitgeist for the Garou nation.

The two of those were already baked into V5 when Modiphus got control and Ericsson was booted out thoroughly enough that they're not easily removed without doing a V5.5 (And I don't think the Second Inquisition is all that bad an idea, it just needs some serious fleshing out.)

I'd honestly be surprised if anything that wasn't actively in production before he was told to get out hasn't gone through massive changes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm never really gonna play V5 but Coteries of New York is really fun and I'm going to play it at least twice so I can not gently caress up with Aisling Sturbridge and figure out what the hell the True Faith stuff is about the second time through.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Do you understand the difference I'm trying to draw between a clan weakness like "you have a harder time resisting frenzy" and a clan weakness like "you become defiant when people ask you to do things", or "you look inhuman" and "you are obsessed with learning secrets"? I think I've been pretty clear but it doesn't seem to be landing.

No I really don't

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This, NikkolasKing, is why you don't engage with Oberst or their alter ego, Metapod. They spam up the thread with incredibly stupid bullshit and are either dense as all hell or actively disingenuous and frankly in neither case do they provide anything of value. I'll take Magechat over Metapod failing to understand racial stereotyping or Oberst going harassment apologist.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Metapod posted:

No I really don't

Okay, so, the distinction I'm trying to draw is between what we might call "top-level" stereotypical behaviors as opposed to underlying, not-necessarily-visible conditions that might cause those behaviors in many, but not necessarily all, members of a group. To use a slightly charged political example, but not as charged as it easily could be: there are a lot more poor people on buses and other public transport than rich people. Is it because poor people just love buses? No, it's because taking a bus to work is less expensive than buying a car. A particular behavior (using a lot of public transport) has an underlying cause (having little money).

If you wanted to design an RPG about getting to work, and you want it to seem realistic, what would be a better way to make sure poor characters used public transport more than rich characters?

A) poor characters get -2 to certain rolls unless they've ridden a bus in the past week
B) buses cost less money then cars, and poor characters have less money to spend from week to week

Both would technically attain your objective of making sure a certain stereotypical behavior did in fact occur in your game, but one of them misrepresents the cause of that behavior and therefore pathologizes (as in, treats as some kind of disease or abnormality) what is actually a perfectly normal and logical behavior given the circumstances. Solution A makes it seem like the poor just love buses for some reason. And, you know, there's nothing wrong with liking buses, but this kind of reasoning can start going to dark places if you start assuming that poor people must also love dying from preventable diseases.

To go back to vampire, if we want nosey, sneaky Nosferatu we can do two things:

A) Nosferatu get -2 unless they dig up or hide a secret
B) the Nosferatu skillset makes up-front social interaction difficult, but spying and sneaking easy

My claim is that B is better than A, and also less insulting (whether to fictional vampires or real-world players).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Free Gratis posted:

Rules as Written? No. You can't have any non-Mystery Coil at a level that exceeds your Covenant Status, and if you lose your status you also technically are no longer part of that Mystery.

Edit: I'd argue that an ex-Dragon could operate as an apostate and do self study to advance Coils they already began to learn. However, without access to the existing social structure and knowledge of the Ordo Dracul, their progress would be severely hampered and probably come with an increase in XP costs to advance.

That's dumb, 1E did this better.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i have figured out a fix for Mage, make Paradox and Mana the same thing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i have figured out a fix for Mage, make Paradox and Mana the same thing.

In Ascension, you tracked points of quintessence and points of paradox on the same wheel. If you had too much of both to fit them all, the paradox displaced the quint.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ferrinus posted:

In Ascension, you tracked points of quintessence and points of paradox on the same wheel. If you had too much of both to fit them all, the paradox displaced the quint.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn good thing we're not talking about Ascension huh.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
- mana and quintessence are the same thing, both get generated from the same sources and have all the same effects as each other
- magic gets done through elaborate martial arts katas
- i get a red spaceship with arms
- also a naked computer space lady

drat i guess it looks like the new Mage game takes place in the Towards Stars Expanded Universe? crazy how retro anime is having its moment.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

- mana and quintessence are the same thing, both get generated from the same sources and have all the same effects as each other
- magic gets done through elaborate martial arts katas
- i get a red spaceship with arms
- also a naked computer space lady

drat i guess it looks like the new Mage game takes place in the Towards Stars Expanded Universe? crazy how retro anime is having its moment.

That's not an inaccurate description of what my Mage: The Ascension first ed storyteller screen looks like honestly.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn good thing we're not talking about Ascension huh.
Are you drunk, what's your problem

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hold on, i have to do a bunch of real magic card tricks so i can charge up enough mana to hadouken you for your insolence.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I liked this gimmick better when dril was doing it a decade ago and made it funny

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
well the important thing is you complained a bunch and nothing changed.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 2, 2020

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of: Here's the video for the Werewolf creative team for the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzfAWlJkshE and here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZZ7Q2Lsvc

Oh wow, I'd only seen the trailer. That video with the creative team has completely turned me around on this. And I let out a scream of happiness when I saw that Cat Evans was writing for this; it's one thing to see a common name in writing credits, it's quite another to see an old friend talking about things you both used to talk about and know it's them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dingo with a joint posted:

Oh wow, I'd only seen the trailer. That video with the creative team has completely turned me around on this. And I let out a scream of happiness when I saw that Cat Evans was writing for this; it's one thing to see a common name in writing credits, it's quite another to see an old friend talking about things you both used to talk about and know it's them.

Ivan Van Norman is a cool dude, too. I'm still not sold on a couple of the devs, but it looks a good group overall.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's dumb, 1E did this better.

It's possible I'm wrong because the only thing I could find in the text was the bit about non-Mystery Coils not exceeding status. The idea that you lose Mystery membership along with your Status was just pure interpretation on my part.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it looks like nothing stops you from learning new Scales, as they have their own prerequisites.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
How many enchanments can you layer on an item? My mages are looking for concentrations of rowan on a college campus and want to enchant a pair of binoculars. They'll need life for bushes, and matter for harvested/shaped wood. I'm going to allow it no matter what, but when they want to start enchanting clothes and weapons, it'd be good to have a guidline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Free Gratis posted:

It's possible I'm wrong because the only thing I could find in the text was the bit about non-Mystery Coils not exceeding status. The idea that you lose Mystery membership along with your Status was just pure interpretation on my part.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it looks like nothing stops you from learning new Scales, as they have their own prerequisites.

The big problem with 1E coils was the scaling XP cost.

You weren't capped by status, and there were rules in the covenant book for learning coils on your own/designing new coils/using Wyrm's Nests to learn faster, etc.