Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

lament.cfg posted:

I bought this because Steve Albini died

This isn't the meme thread.

Also gently caress that sucks dude was only 61.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Noooo wtf. I just saw him last year, excited about the new Shellac record, oof.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

Awesome. Two of them aren't technically mine so I'll have to ask but I'll just send them to ya for the cost of shipping. I'll pm you later this week. I kinda forget that the 45 jukeboxes were still very much in effect in the mid 90's early 2000's.

:tipshat: Much obliged

lament.cfg posted:

gently caress

I made this video for Big Black's Kerosene with some friends back in late 2007 and early 2008, it's silly. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJL6o1KHiYM

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Went a little nuts buying City Pop/AOR from a Discogs seller in Japan, but with a 30% discount for buying 10 or more records who can refuse?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lament.cfg posted:

Thanks for linking, just picked this up. Going to be playing some Big Black really loud tonight.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
has anyone ever pre-ordered vinyl before or bought from turntable lab? are they legit?

i randomly found there is a re-issue coming out of this: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/masayoshi-takanaka-seychelles-180g-colored-vinyl-vinyl-lp

the existing copies normally go for like USD 150+ on discogs so i wouldnt mind waiting for it if it's gonna be quality

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

thathonkey posted:

has anyone ever pre-ordered vinyl before or bought from turntable lab? are they legit?

i randomly found there is a re-issue coming out of this: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/masayoshi-takanaka-seychelles-180g-colored-vinyl-vinyl-lp

the existing copies normally go for like USD 150+ on discogs so i wouldnt mind waiting for it if it's gonna be quality

TTL is legit, but thats a Universal Music reissue, unless it says TTL exclusive they don’t have anything that other stores don’t. Some quick googling shows it for $42 at Light in the Attic. Actually I just added the OG release to my want list last week I didn’t know it was getting a reissue.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was so surprised to find this at Goodwill that I had to buy it even though it was scratched up and they marked it up to $6 :rolleyes:

It's also a German pressing, weirdly.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Arcella posted:

Went a little nuts buying City Pop/AOR from a Discogs seller in Japan, but with a 30% discount for buying 10 or more records who can refuse?

Which seller? I’m in the mood to lose money.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
https://www.discogs.com/user/Peaceful_Records

I did have to bug them in a separate message to process my discount (partial PayPal refund) but they did it and the records arrived in great shape.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I use the Blu-ray.com app for managing my film and TV collection, is Discogs the way to go for vinyl then? I've had a few cases recently where I've been at a record shop and had to think hard whether or not I already own a copy of something.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Carpet posted:

I use the Blu-ray.com app for managing my film and TV collection, is Discogs the way to go for vinyl then? I've had a few cases recently where I've been at a record shop and had to think hard whether or not I already own a copy of something.

Discogs isn't great in a lot of ways but I haven't found anything better for cataloguing things.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I always feel like an rear end in a top hat pulling out my phone to check discogs in a shop, because I don't want to look like a flipper scumbag. My poo poo rear end memory pretty much necessitates it though, I've bought too many duplicate albums not to.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

strap on revenge posted:

does anyone here listen to Black Moth Super Rainbow, and if so, did anyone buy a copy of Start a People? I only just found out they pressed it earlier this year, it's sold out everywhere, and I'm sad about it. I have a spare copy of Dandelion Gum on pink vinyl and would be keen to do a swap if that interests someone in the thread who has it?

I used to buy their releases back in the day but didn't see about this one coming out. When they re-released House of Apples and Eyeballs I was all over that. Let me know if you wanna part with that Dandelion Gum record.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I think it just comes with the territory. Unless you are trying to argue prices based on Discogs' "price", I don't think many shops would really care.

My local shops know me, but generally if I am checking out other shops I'll say hi to the clerk and ask about a record I have on my wishlist. Sometimes it's just a basic answer, but sometimes they are very happy to chat and give a recommendation or two. They may even be more apt to round down prices just for being friendly.

If folks are able to accurately remember everything they have once their collection starts getting up in numbers, congrats to them.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Enos Cabell posted:

I always feel like an rear end in a top hat pulling out my phone to check discogs in a shop, because I don't want to look like a flipper scumbag.

Oh God, I thought it was just me! :kiddo:

I have a collection in the hundreds, but have a great memory (for now!) and don't really need to check Discogs to remember what I have. BUT I often check it while at a record store to see if newer albums/pressings have any common issues (missing tracks, horrible sound quality, etc). I'm not an audiophile at all, but certain albums (the Target version of Tron Legacy, for example) are apparently just poor quality all around. Similarly, my partner has a copy of a The Sword album that is almost impossible to listen to over the popping noises, randomly getting quiet, etc.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

I always feel like an rear end in a top hat pulling out my phone to check discogs in a shop, because I don't want to look like a flipper scumbag. My poo poo rear end memory pretty much necessitates it though, I've bought too many duplicate albums not to.

Yeah. I use it to check if I have something or my want list and I will check going prices. If the shop is asking $10 more that the record is going for online I want to know. I think it's pretty obvious from the random stuff that I buy that I'm not a flipper

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm going to be moving in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if there is a good recommended storage solution for moving about 100 or so records. I just need probably 2-3 decent size boxes but they need to be strong enough to hold them and big enough that they won't get damaged. Anybody have something that they've used?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Heath posted:

I'm going to be moving in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if there is a good recommended storage solution for moving about 100 or so records. I just need probably 2-3 decent size boxes but they need to be strong enough to hold them and big enough that they won't get damaged. Anybody have something that they've used?

I thought they had a cardboard box at Uhaul that fits records well. Might want to check. I think about the size of a milk carton, so fits about 50.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah the "small" size uhaul boxes fit them perfectly. They're like $1.30/ea.

Edit:

wa27 posted:

If anyone needs a cheap storage/moving solution, U-Haul's "small" boxes are the perfect size and cost a dollar.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 11, 2024

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
If you don’t mind them not being boxed, I’ve found the reusable shopping bags that are square shaped work very well for moving not insanely large amounts of records. Having handles combined with the overall size for them makes it much more manageable.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

wa27 posted:

Yeah the "small" size uhaul boxes fit them perfectly. They're like $1.30/ea.

Edit:

I just wrenched my back earlier today picking up a chewy box full of cat food/litter
the thought of lifting that is making me wince

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just wrenched my back earlier today picking up a chewy box full of cat food/litter
the thought of lifting that is making me wince
Yeah I wouldn't recommend filling them full :v:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Heath posted:

I have some of these I've used through 2 moves now. Although I feel the price must have gone up since. https://www.bagsunlimited.com/produ...s-50-65-records

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Bankers boxes have worked well for me in the past

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Went to Repo Records Philly for the first time in ages. Loved that place. Could have spent more but picked up Yeul-soft scars, Chappell Roan, hop along-get disowned and rilo Kiley-execution of all things.

Also got some drat good vegetarian Chinese food near by., so pretty good day all around

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I still have old milk crates and just moved all mine in them. But I didn't have to store them and also had to wait for a non rainy day to schlep them over. Was still heavy to lift of course, that sucked.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I just finished moving and can say the Lowe’s small boxes (and the heavy duty ones too) fit perfect without plastic sleeves and a lil snug with the sleeves.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Incredibly dank pickups from the record store before I went and saw AGGRODR1FT, which was silly as hell and I love it very much.

And if you get the UHaul boxes pick them up gently, those handles rip super easy.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I bought a few of these recently as I've run out of space on the shelves and needed somewhere to store my vinyl for now, other than on the floor. I'm not sure they quite fit 50 LPs per box but they still feel very solid once folded out and put together.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Bittersweet arrival today.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Heath posted:

Many liquor boxes are the perfect size for records, they hold less than the Uhaul boxes so you won't tweak your back, and they're free.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

For my last move I made my own boxes, took stacks of records about 10" high and wrapped them in sheets of cardboard from larger boxes I had lying around. Worked well and they were easy enough to move around without jeopardizing my back.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 13, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Just spent $51 USD shipped to get this from the UK. Kinda considered getting the 2000 pressing since this release lowered the market price for it to a few dollars more than 51 but went with this in the end. One step closer to a full Isobel run on vinyl...

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
The Blood Brothers are doing a 20th anniversary pressing of Crimes plus a reunion tour.

https://epitaph.store/product/27490/crimes-2xlp-collectors-edition-blackbaby-blue

already got my order in. I was just listening to Burn Piano Island, Burn over the weekend and wondering if Crimes would get a re-release

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
My copy of Shellac's "To All Trains" arrive. RIP Steve.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Pretzellogic posted:

Many liquor boxes are the perfect size for records, they hold less than the Uhaul boxes so you won't tweak your back, and they're free.

Yup, I got my parents’ old records via liquor boxes. Heavy but manageable.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

On Sunday I treated myself to some old jazz albums from my corner record store. This might be the worst portrait I've ever seen.

The same day while I was walking the dog an old neighbor was giving out records on his porch, all in super pristine condition. Unfortunately it was mostly boomer music I had no desire to own, but I did find one I like

Free records taste better!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One time out of about a billion, Goodwill comes through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The same thing happened to me a few weeks back. It’s rare but it can happen