Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Then again, by endgame, most JRPGs play the game.
actually, most JRPGs don't. Final Fantasy just has bad combat.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

actually, most JRPGs don't. Final Fantasy just has bad combat.

And Xenogears and both Chrono games and all the Xenosaga games?

Because I was literally thinking of Chrono Trigger when I typed that.
Crono - Luminare or the spinny sword attack, since some parts of Lavos had complete immunity to one type of attack
Magus - Dark Matter or whatever it was
Ayla - Triple Kick

I beat all forms of Lavos and the bosses of the Black Omens with nothing but this and maybe the odd heal. There were bosses in the Black Omens, right? I only played CT once and it's been a couple years.

I know I've played relatively few JRPGs compared to many posters here but I really doubt "there are some moves that are just plain better than others so spam them all the time" is a trait exclusive to FF games or the handful of other JRPG franchises I've seen.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 29, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If that's true, a lot of low-action menu-based JRPGs have bad combat. SMT for example does the same thing.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Shifting paradigms at the right time is the flesh and skeleton of 13's battle system, though. Getting hung up on not being able to effectively input manual commands is like being mad that a RTS doesn't let you manually aim your guys' guns. I can definitely agree that the game miserably fails at communicating this, though, considering how many people somehow manage to hit the enrage timer on boss fights.

And since when were "speed" and "skill" orthogonal concepts, anyway? Making good decisions in a Final-Fantasy JRPG is often quite simple. Making those same good decisions quickly is hard.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 29, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
As for whether or not the system is a good one, obviously different people find different parts of gameplay engaging, but characterizing FF13's system as "switch paradigm, then wait" is an incredibly shallow reading. It has the same thing going on as X-2 where what's happening on the screen in real time matters, so you can do things like switch to a SEN-heavy paradigm right before a big hit lands. Plus there's a constant tension between getting your rotation "right" and collecting the free ATB refreshes from paradigm switches as they come up. It's almost rhythm-game-like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

And Xenogears and both Chrono games and all the Xenosaga games
chrono trigger has some of the worst combat in any jrpg

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's actually kind of an apt comparison, because chrono trigger is a pretty good game despite its battle system, while ff13 is a pretty bad game despite its battle system

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i'm not a huge fan of chrono trigger but yeah, i would say it's a better game than ff13 and i don't even dislike ff13 or anything.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Oh lord FF13 talk leaked into here. You know the problem with that game in my opinion? No towns. I like stupid towns full of NPC's you can talk to. It makes the game feel like an actual populated world I can somewhat immerse myself in. It gives writers a chance to let me emotionally attach myself to the characters they've created. Hell, it's arguably the best part of the Trails series and one of the best parts of Shadowrun Returns, both series popular in this thread. It was one of those things I didn't realize was important to me when playing Final Fantasy games until it was suddenly completely gone. FF13 threw that all out the window because the game engine couldn't handle it. It made the whole thing feel detached and marks the first Final Fantasy I got bored of 25 hours in, quit, and never really looked back at to finish. I will be so happy when FF15 is out and the periodic chatter about FF13 is relegated to a couple times a year instead of once every month or two.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 29, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Oh lord FF13 talk leaked into here. You know the problem with that game in my opinion? No towns. I like stupid towns full of NPC's you can talk to. It makes the game feel like an actual populated world I can somewhat immerse myself in. It gives writers a chance to let me emotionally attach myself to the characters they've created. Hell, it's arguably the best part of the Trails series and one of the best parts of Shadowrun Returns, both series popular in this thread. It was one of those things I didn't realize was important to me when playing Final Fantasy games until it was suddenly completely gone. FF13 threw that all out the window because the game engine couldn't handle it. It made the whole thing feel detached and marks the first Final Fantasy I got bored of 25 hours in, quit, and never really looked back at to finish. I will be so happy when FF15 is out and the periodic chatter about FF13 is relegated to a couple times a year instead of once every month or two.

Are you kidding me? FFXIII will be held up as the gold standard that FFXV absolutely failed to live up to. Games were better back in the day .Back in the day meaning six or seven years ago.

But yes, I agree absolutely about the towns. I never understood that "the engine couldn't handle it" idea, though. XIII-2 has the exact same engine doesn't it? And it has plenty of towns.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you kidding me? FFXIII will be held up as the gold standard that FFXV absolutely failed to live up to. Games were better back in the day .Back in the day meaning six or seven years ago.

But yes, I agree absolutely about the towns. I never understood that "the engine couldn't handle it" idea, though. XIII-2 has the exact same engine doesn't it? And it has plenty of towns.

If I remember correctly, the engine was under constant work over the years to try to get it to do what the designers wanted so they might have gotten it to perform a little better with many high poly characters on screen. I know they never quite got it up to snuff though since Lightning Returns had some serious performance issues. This is one of those things noted poster Sunning talked a lot about since he had some insight into SE's development processes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

Games were better back in the day .Back in the day meaning six or seven years ago.

You're right, Star Ocean 3 was better because it's older.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

What, how

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Isn't FFXV the game where one of the devs explained they didn't want playable female characters? Sounds like a recipe for disaster with that kind of odd thinking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know if you're being serious or mocking me because you thought I was being serious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Like I know this is hyperbole but I still fail to understand this sentence. The combat isn't actively unfun boring garbage which immediately puts it above all the poo poo-tier RPGs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know if you're being serious or mocking me because you thought I was being serious.

Yes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

well so3 specifically is a bad example because if you thought the series couldn't get any lower, you were in for a number of rude surprises that are so ubiquitous that i don't even need to cite them by name

That said, I'm just givin' you poo poo and I do actually know what you mean :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 29, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well since we're all talking about FF.
I got FF2 on PSP and finished it this week cause the new mobile game put me in the mood. And man what a numbers based game it is. It's rare to have every random encounter make me fear for my life, every dungeon is so long and grinding is a must. Although near the end it relents as you just get really overpowered.
Never knew about the bonus campaign they added(DoS). And I'm kinda liking the Emperor now because of it. Guy gets killed and takes over both hell and heaven? And with an awesome dungeon theme to boot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpM8IAfPBA
I'm not sure I got what his motivation was by the end though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well got onto Disc 2 of Trails SC. Was surprised it came at the start of Chapter 4 though, because I know from glancing at walkthroughs there are a full 9 chapters (instead of 5 like in FC).

Also the final boss of Chapter 4 can take it's cast-interrupting, random-status-inducing, attacks and go gently caress right off :argh:.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ff2 tried cool new stuff like stat increases through adaptation and keywords for dialogue options and even though it was horrific to actually play i have to respect how different it is from what came before and after. it's like a blooper of an early airplane that looked promising but sputtered and died in a spectacular fashion.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It did feel pretty experimental, but honestly I'll still like it more than FF3 and FF3 DS which are just unmitigated torture.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well got onto Disc 2 of Trails SC. Was surprised it came at the start of Chapter 4 though, because I know from glancing at walkthroughs there are a full 9 chapters (instead of 5 like in FC).

Also the final boss of Chapter 4 can take it's cast-interrupting, random-status-inducing, attacks and go gently caress right off :argh:.

A later chapter has you traveling back to the early areas, and you actually need to change back to "disk 1" if you're playing the PSP-version.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff13 should have played itself more so i didnt have to hit X AUTO BATTLE X AUTO BATTLE all the time. just make it a toggle i can turn off when i wanna put in specific commands

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bam! i just fixed your game square give me 1000 dollars

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tamba posted:

A later chapter has you traveling back to the early areas, and you actually need to change back to "disk 1" if you're playing the PSP-version.

I wondered if that might be the case. Is it by chapter, or is it like "Going to Ruan/Zeiss/Grancel? Swap to Disk 1 Now!"

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The latter.

The game forces you to save, and then you boot up the disk 1 / disk 2 version with that save when you change areas.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
when does the crashing in wild arms 3 start on the ps4 and how bad is it? i just started it and have played a couple hours w/ no issues so i am wondering if like it happens after playing for X amount of hours or something usually

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Libluini posted:

Isn't FFXV the game where one of the devs explained they didn't want playable female characters? Sounds like a recipe for disaster with that kind of odd thinking.

Why. It's a story about a guy and his 3 bros. Did you throw a shitfest when ffx2 didnt have any playable males?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

Why. It's a story about a guy and his 3 bros. Did you throw a shitfest when ffx2 didnt have any playable males?

Didn't FF15 have a female character planned for inclusion for literally years before canning her at the last moment? I think I remember that even though I haven't followed the game hardly at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Prism posted:

Didn't FF15 have a female character planned for inclusion for literally years before canning her at the last moment? I think I remember that even though I haven't followed the game hardly at all.

No.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Prism posted:

She's still in the game, just her name and role was changed. And she was never intended to be playable to begin with.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Prism posted:

Stella was replaced by Luna in the switch between VersusXIII and XV, but we knew next to nothing about the former.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

"I haven't been following this game at all but I'm 100% it's sexist"

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mr. Fortitude posted:

She's still in the game, just her name and role was changed. And she was never intended to be playable to begin with.

Cool.

Like I said, I don't really follow it, but I'd heard that complaint before, didn't know how accurate it was.

corn in the bible posted:

"I haven't been following this game at all but I'm 100% it's sexist"

That's not at all what I said and why I asked a question instead of making a statement. The only context I have for this game is hearing other people complain about it. It seems unpopular.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing we know about Luna is that she'll have a big role in the Kingsglaive movie and every scene in trailers has her being a badass by staring down Leviathan or basically telling armed enemy guards to gently caress off.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I want XV to literally be a guy version of X-2, with dress-up and BOY POWER and goofy hijinks and shoopufs.

okay maybe no shoopufs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ff15 has sold out and reprinted its insanely expensive collectors edition like 4 times now, it will probably be popular.

the 4 dudes as main characters is also a very obvious ploy to get the female fanbases attention so i don't know why people keep interpreting that as some sort of anti women action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Now I didn't. That was refreshingly progressive. Having an all-male cast like in FFXV is basically just the normal way minus the 1-2 obligatory token women. I think that's weird, that's all. If Square wants to a story revolving someone's road trip with his (exclusively male) friends, I'm fine with it. It's just a kind of story I have zero interest in.