Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, that Crop Rotation art/flavor text is super silly and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elyv posted:

um excuse me alpha cards have no story

---

lists for duel decks: nissa vs ob nix are also out
New art:

Oh boy a non foil crop rotation reprint

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Elyv posted:

---

New art:

gently caress yes crop rotation in standard. Lol

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Elyv posted:

---

New art:

Miiiiight have to pick up a few new singles from that, because dang that new art is sweet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The coolest card in that FTV is the foil Marit Lage token.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

gently caress yes crop rotation in standard. Lol

Duel decks aren't standard-legal.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay, that Crop Rotation art/flavor text is super silly and I love it.

On Zendikar, crop rotation is literal.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

Duel decks aren't standard-legal.

Is it depressing that at this point, I'd be more hype about Doom Blade?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

whydirt posted:

Hahaha wow that's bad reprint value even by recent WotC standards

It has Jitte, Dark Depths and a foil Marit Lage token in it. It's the best value since 20.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

When I heard about this I was at least a little excited to get someone with experience at a high level to playtest magic cards. Then I thought about how that team is going to have their personal insider to new sets and it made me a little sad.

I didn't even think of that. I know people who work at Wizards and they're all tight-lipped because they don't want to jeopardize their dream jobs, but a play tester might not have that same professional courtesy. He risks a DCI ban if he leaks any info though, which is probably enough of a threat.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Jabor posted:

Same dude

No good draw spell in blue and the inability to leave 1B open and kill whatever my opponent drops on the battlefield are the two big things that are keeping Grixis down :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't even think of that. I know people who work at Wizards and they're all tight-lipped because they don't want to jeopardize their dream jobs, but a play tester might not have that same professional courtesy. He risks a DCI ban if he leaks any info though, which is probably enough of a threat.

Except he is human and his best friends are magic fanatics. I am sure a normal person would make sure everyone new his job was on the line but there is zero chance he isn't telling his inner circle the goods.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jabor posted:

Look I have to ask, why did the word "hyped" get changed to "hype"? Like "to be hyped" about something is now apparently "to be 'hype'" which like linguistically is just nonsensical.

It's like saying "I am amp up" instead of "I am amped up".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Except he is human and his best friends are magic fanatics. I am sure a normal person would make sure everyone new his job was on the line but there is zero chance he isn't telling his inner circle the goods.

What advantage do you even get by that

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm finally going to buy into Modern. Any suggestions for decks? I'm not that worried about price or difficulty. Right now Kiki-Chord really has my eye. I know it's tier-two but I want to try a build with 4 Voice of Resurgence and 3-4 Kitchen Finks to make use of Eldritch Evolution as another way to fetch Kiki and/or Restoration Angel.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm finally going to buy into Modern. Any suggestions for decks? I'm not that worried about price or difficulty. Right now Kiki-Chord really has my eye. I know it's tier-two but I want to try a build with 4 Voice of Resurgence and 3-4 Kitchen Finks to make use of Eldritch Evolution as another way to fetch Kiki and/or Restoration Angel.

Jund. It's always good and sometimes great. And you'll have the mana base taken care of for tons of other decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Suicide Zoo.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The correct answer is Grixis Delver. The only way to play Magic is to draw a card and pass the turn

and counter lots of spells

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

The correct answer is Grixis Delver. The only way to play Magic is to draw a card and pass the turn

and counter lots of spells

And play Delver, the best creature ever. So good in fact, they printed 2 more versions of it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

It has Jitte, Dark Depths and a foil Marit Lage token in it. It's the best value since 20.

Good luck getting it for msrp.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Jund. It's always good and sometimes great. And you'll have the mana base taken care of for tons of other decks.

Counterpoint is that Jund is the most expensive deck in the format. But the point about building it and then having components for other decks available is totally valid. I'd recommend buying one deck that you really like playing and then seeing where the pieces can take you. For example if you buy into UWR Resto-Kiki then you'll have Snapcasters, Bolts, and Paths that can go into other decks, to name a few examples (and to completely ignore the lands you'll now have available)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Buy into Norin soul sisters. Aside from the caverns of souls and rangers of eos, most of the cards are less than 10 bucks each.

Also, it's pretty hilarious in paper.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

It's not just his job though, if he does anything and is found out he's not only fired, but won't even be able to play Magic for years. I've known people who were hired and the threat of losing both their job and their hobby all for only the benefit of other people knowing things ahead of time made them cautious enough that they wouldn't even buy cards they knew were/weren't going to be reprinted because people would get suspicious. I'm not saying there's a 0% chance of him telling his former teammates something, but unless he's leaking an entire set there's little point for playtesting value. He's also just a play tester, so he won't always see the final versions of the cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

For the love of god do not buy kiki chord. Not that its bad, its just a pet deck of hoogland. He just has a track record of doing better than everyone else with his brews.

I would suggest infect. Its powerful, fun, and scales well on skill level. You can even mix up the fetches you purchase as you only need green fetches at the moment. The expensive parts of the deck are used in lots of other stuff so it doesn't really matter.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's not just his job though, if he does anything and is found out he's not only fired, but won't even be able to play Magic for years. I've known people who were hired and the threat of losing both their job and their hobby all for only the benefit of other people knowing things ahead of time made them cautious enough that they wouldn't even buy cards they knew were/weren't going to be reprinted because people would get suspicious. I'm not saying there's a 0% chance of him telling his former teammates something, but unless he's leaking an entire set there's little point for playtesting value. He's also just a play tester, so he won't always see the final versions of the cards.

Eh, I see your point but I just believe its fantasy land. Although I am sure if there was a scandal things would happen, but I really doubt anybody is going to be plugged into a polygraph to figure out if someone is telling secrets.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 1, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

Leaks are rife in the Seattle area. They're tighlipped about set releases but banlist changes and such are all over the city. I'm positive the big retailers get some inside info too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Infect is good to start with. Almost every card in the typical 75 is either dirt-cheap by Modern standards, or is playable in other decks. And the only two exceptions (Pendelhaven and Might of Old Krosa) aren't even hugely expensive either, even if it bites a little bit to pay $10 each for a pump spell.

I guess Inkmoths might be a little narrow in that they only go into Affinity, but eh.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Look I have to ask, why did the word "hyped" get changed to "hype"? Like "to be hyped" about something is now apparently "to be 'hype'" which like linguistically is just nonsensical.

It's like saying "I am amp up" instead of "I am amped up".

language prescriptivists kill yourselfs

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Apparently MaRo and the entire design team have no idea who they are designing cards for:

quote:

In your recent Odds and Ends, regarding Ulrich, you wrote "What we didn't pick up on was that for some players, the reason they wanted it was to use it to specifically play a tribal Werewolf deck." But the sentence before you stated that R&D knew that the request for a Legendary Werewolf mostly came from Commander players. My question is: couldn't you pick up the connection between the two? It seems quite obvious.

We optimized it to play in as many different Red/Green decks as possible to maximize how many Commander players could use it.

Hindsight is 20/20. Yes, it seems obvious now.

Like how could he possibly have not figured out why people wanted a loving Legendary Werewolf - how

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Apparently MaRo and the entire design team have no idea who they are designing cards for:

Like how could he possibly have not figured out why people wanted a loving Legendary Werewolf - how

It is almost as if MaRo is out of touch and has no idea what he is doing.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

I totally do not consider this perscriptivism, but the equivalent of "I might be bias" instead of "I might be biased."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jabor posted:

Infect is good to start with. Almost every card in the typical 75 is either dirt-cheap by Modern standards, or is playable in other decks. And the only two exceptions (Pendelhaven and Might of Old Krosa) aren't even hugely expensive either, even if it bites a little bit to pay $10 each for a pump spell.

I guess Inkmoths might be a little narrow in that they only go into Affinity, but eh.

Inkmoths are only going up, IMO. I can't imagine infect being in mm17. So it's never a really bad idea to own 4x.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Inkmoths are only going up, IMO. I can't imagine infect being in mm17. So it's never a really bad idea to own 4x.

Its an alternate wincon for future decks that have a way to make creatures bigger which is pretty useful for a land.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mandatory lesbian posted:

In 100 years when we're all communicating with hoots and grunts and unintelligible half-words again, OH how they'll all wish they had listened when I tried to perscriptivst their language :bahgawd:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Counterpoint is that Jund is the most expensive deck in the format. But the point about building it and then having components for other decks available is totally valid. I'd recommend buying one deck that you really like playing and then seeing where the pieces can take you. For example if you buy into UWR Resto-Kiki then you'll have Snapcasters, Bolts, and Paths that can go into other decks, to name a few examples (and to completely ignore the lands you'll now have available)

Yeah, if he didn't say price wasn't an issue I wouldn't have suggested Jund. It's just always solid and always there and gets you many expensive pieces that are useful elsewhere (although some certainly aren't that useful outside of Jund/Junk).

I'm not sure I'd necessarily suggest infect unless you really love the way that kind of deck plays. I enjoy it, but that doesn't mean everyone would. Although, as said, most of the expensive pieces have wider application, especially Noble Hierarch and the manabase. One thing to realize, too, is that you only need 2 (or even 1) non-KTK fetch. There's absolutely zero reason to run 4 Misty Rainforest unless you already have them. As long as it fetches green you are good - I run 2x Verdant Catacombs because I have them in addition to my KTK fetches. Inkmoth at least is in Affinity, and as I said earlier has a pretty good chance of staying at the current price or rising.

I think if price is literally no object, and you just want to win as regularly as possible, you run Jund. If you want to match the deck to your playstyle, that's when decisions begin.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Can anyone describe what's going on in the art here? Is that a babby's head just zipping around?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, if he didn't say price wasn't an issue I wouldn't have suggested Jund. It's just always solid and always there and gets you many expensive pieces that are useful elsewhere (although some certainly aren't that useful outside of Jund/Junk).

I'm not sure I'd necessarily suggest infect unless you really love the way that kind of deck plays. I enjoy it, but that doesn't mean everyone would. Although, as said, most of the expensive pieces have wider application, especially Noble Hierarch and the manabase. One thing to realize, too, is that you only need 2 (or even 1) non-KTK fetch. There's absolutely zero reason to run 4 Misty Rainforest unless you already have them. As long as it fetches green you are good - I run 2x Verdant Catacombs because I have them in addition to my KTK fetches. Inkmoth at least is in Affinity, and as I said earlier has a pretty good chance of staying at the current price or rising.

I think if price is literally no object, and you just want to win as regularly as possible, you run Jund. If you want to match the deck to your playstyle, that's when decisions begin.

Modern Jund is the deck you want to be playing to give yourself the best chance to go 3-2 in every 5 round tourney. You'll never have the best deck in the room unless you run really hot.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

What's funny is that they finally made the R/G Werewolf and made it completely unplayable

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jabor posted:

Exactly this, I started Modern like 6 months ago with Infect and love it, I managed a turn 2 kill in my first match at my first GP ever and I was/am scrubby as all hell.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

80s James Hetfield posted:

What's funny is that they finally made the R/G Werewolf and made it completely unplayable

"Mission Accomplished"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Modern Jund is the deck you want to be playing to give yourself the best chance to go 3-2 in every 5 round tourney. You'll never have the best deck in the room unless you run really hot.

Your opinions on jund are always very comical.

mcmagic posted:

Suicide Zoo.

So what is it about suicide zoo that makes it such a good choice? On paper, it seems like a riskier infect deck with the same gameplan. I will admit I have limited experience against it and my opinion on it hasn't been all that high since Jund seems to crush it. Doesn't it also fold up to burn?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

BJPaskoff posted:

One of the guys from Team MetaGameGurus just got hired as a playtester, so maybe they're looking to change that by hiring a bunch of GP and SCG winners? I don't know if they hired anyone else from other parts of the world along with him.

I didn't know who these guys were so I went to their website and...

quote:

"As Team MetaGameGurus, we intend to establish the precedent of what it means to be a professional Magic player, and to be the harbingers of Magic into the modern era"

Lol :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

This is essentially modern.txt

You can't just pick "the best deck" and have an magical 80% chance against the field unless you are playing Eldrazi pre-ban. At best you are 55-60% and still have to run hot and dodge bad matchups.

• Locked thread