Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Declan MacManus posted:

here’s my board because music gear discussion is really just “look at my stuff!” at the end of the day

What kinda tone are you getting out of that Altoids tin? I must know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’ll join in the board post. Mines just some basic cover band bass stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

had the v1 immerse, didn’t love it; too subtle for my applications even with the mix and decay dimed

good for p&w stuff i would imagine and as an always on type of deal; they may have changed up how washed out it can get in v2

right now i’m using the meris mecury 7 and a zoom cdr on my board; the meris does everything the immerse did better for me anyways

New one can go 100% wet :getin:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MrSargent posted:

What kinda tone are you getting out of that Altoids tin? I must know.

mostly just ultex jazz ii xl rattlings which is a good sort of percussive sound

Kilometers Davis posted:

New one can go 100% wet :getin:

so did the old one but it was via a switch on the top of the pedal and since it wasn’t true bypass it would kill the entire signal when the pedal was bypassed

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Why have one pedalboard when you can have two?

...of course those Moogs basically need a board of their own...

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

DOD Rubbernecks are going cheap in certain places - in Europe Thomann have them for €115 so I’ve grabbed one. Wonder if they’re being discontinued.

Well... I wonder how long DOD products will be manufactured at all now they’ve all been let go :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Science Goy posted:

Why have one pedalboard when you can have two?

...of course those Moogs basically need a board of their own...
It's because of stuff like this that 8 times out of 10 I'm just happy to use my POD HD (I am, however, currently in a losing battle wrt thinking about getting a Helix now :ohdear:)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UncleBlazer posted:

DOD Rubbernecks are going cheap in certain places - in Europe Thomann have them for €115 so I’ve grabbed one. Wonder if they’re being discontinued.

Well... I wonder how long DOD products will be manufactured at all now they’ve all been let go :(

Digitech and DOD likely won’t even exist in a year or two. They gutted them and it sucks so bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Digitech and DOD likely won’t even exist in a year or two. They gutted them and it sucks so bad.
What? Not Digitech! :arghfist::(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

What? Not Digitech! :arghfist::(

afaik the entire Digitech team got canned :/

”Tom Cram” posted:

“We “back-roomed” some really cool stuff at Winter NAMM 2018 and it was all 100% ready for mass-production. So some new hypothetical team could take that stuff, and use my 5-year roadmap to produce more DigiTech/DOD stuff in the future. I would love to have those things see the light of day. But honestly, I don’t know what Harman’s plans are from here, all I know is that I’m ready to move on.”

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea it’s an fx holocaust.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wark Say posted:

It's because of stuff like this that 8 times out of 10 I'm just happy to use my POD HD (I am, however, currently in a losing battle wrt thinking about getting a Helix now :ohdear:)

The helix is great. Recommend it totally.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

afaik the entire Digitech team got canned :/

:[

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

massive spider posted:

The helix is great. Recommend it totally.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Millennials are killing the FX pedal industry with their damned $220 handpainted boutique pedals!
You can keep yer ZVex, Wampler, and JHS.
I can buy a Digitech Bad Horsie, a Boss DS1, AND an EHX Soul Food for the cost of just ONE of those stupid things!
:bahgawd:

I really did just unload a ZVex Double Rock and a Wampler Ethereal on Reverb. :laugh:
I guess the good thing about these pedals is they keep their value, so if you wanna dump em, you get close to what you paid for them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I know you’re joking but I don’t think it’s that at all. The DOD thing is baffling out of context because their pedals have come back into vogue lately but in the context of whatever insane mismanagement has happened at the mothership it is in no way DOD’s fault. When Tom Cram bought the brand and reinvigorated it they were doing well. I think he’s single handedly responsible for making the bifet 250 a thing or at least recognizing there was an underground scene that had made their sound off of it and he recognized that. It’s so rare you get a dude like that in a “corporate” brand that does well so everyone was excited and then they fired him and everyone else. 😢

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tom was literally in youtube comments answering questions and thanking people for trying their pedals. gently caress whoever made the call to disband such a wonderful group of people.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I know you’re joking but I don’t think it’s that at all. The DOD thing is baffling out of context because their pedals have come back into vogue lately but in the context of whatever insane mismanagement has happened at the mothership it is in no way DOD’s fault. When Tom Cram bought the brand and reinvigorated it they were doing well. I think he’s single handedly responsible for making the bifet 250 a thing or at least recognizing there was an underground scene that had made their sound off of it and he recognized that. It’s so rare you get a dude like that in a “corporate” brand that does well so everyone was excited and then they fired him and everyone else. 😢

their parent company got bought by samsung a couple years ago and that pretty much always means mass firings

of all the stuff harman owns digitech were probably the smallest subsidiary

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
both the rubberneck and freqout are pretty deeply discounted right now and im probably getting the latter since feedback pedals aren't that common

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah it's a shame about DOD. I really liked the new Carcosa fuzz, so snag one of those if you can, especially if they're discounted.

If I hadn't just bought a used El Capistan, I'd probably be getting a discounted Rubberneck right about... now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the carcosa, rubberneck, and classic 250 are all great, as is the bifet boost for bass or doom

i'll miss you dod

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to Cram FX and their slogan "Harmon can Cram it"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm getting the carcosa next week, they're going to be very missed.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Has anyone here used the EHX Synth9? I'm GASsing pretty hard for it since getting on a Gary Numan binge, but I'm always a little skeptical of pedals to make guitars sound like anything other than guitars. Do the various synth models sound good? How does it pair with other pedals? How good is the tracking?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

OutOfPrint posted:

Has anyone here used the EHX Synth9? I'm GASsing pretty hard for it since getting on a Gary Numan binge, but I'm always a little skeptical of pedals to make guitars sound like anything other than guitars. Do the various synth models sound good? How does it pair with other pedals? How good is the tracking?

It is v v good and fun. I generally do 10% blade runner sounds minimum every time I pick up a guitar now.

Models all sound pretty good but are definitely to taste - I tend to hover around 3 or 4. Definitely prefers drive pedals after, works great with envelope filters in front and chorus/ delay after. Tracking is really solid (including with bends and whammy stuff)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I know you’re joking but I don’t think it’s that at all.
Yeah, totally. I'm just foolin' around. It sounds like some serious mismanagement at the corporate level, more than anything. As a few of you have said, people are finally ok with DOD being good/ok after years of them being very uncool. It's too bad the wheels are falling off the way they are.

Another field report from the Ibanez SM7 "Smash Box." The amount of high gain distortion I'm getting out the thing is loving insane. I was just playing my standard MIM Strat (single coils) and it sounded absolutely HUGE. Drop D palm mutes are woofing like mad. It's really fun.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the jhs video on it made the prices jump through the roof, unfortunate

speaking of forgotten drive pedals, i bought a t rex hobo drive and it’s pretty good; it doesn’t have a mid hump or the 250/dist+ thing going on so i guess you’d call it transparent? it can get pretty twinkly if that’s your bag

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Hope this isn't too much of a "do my work for me" question. I'll be fiddling around with it in a couple days, but wanted to post something here first to see if anyone had any tips to point me in the right direction.

I'm an actor and filmmaker trying to break into film scoring, specifically synth-y, ambient stuff in the vein of NIN, John Carpenter, Johann Johannson, and Ursine Vulpine. I’ve been a guitarist for years, but have a background in theatrical sound design. That said, never made a proper pedal board in my life, nor do I have a ton of experience with scoring. Would love some tips on chaining FX together.

Gear list:

-Electric Guitar
-Acoustic Guitar
-Amplifier
-Monitors
-Nord Lead 4 Synthesizer
-Tascam 414 mkii 4 track (picked one up after watching some really lush textural stuff done with tape, still working out the kinks)
-Arturia Keystep Midi Controller
-Logic Pro X, a bunch of plugins
-Elektron Digitakt (got it off a friend last week, have not had a chance to use yet, but will figure out in the coming weeks)
-MOTU 828 mkii audio interface (hopefully upgrading to Universal Audio Apollo twin in a few weeks)
-RODE NTA-1 Microphone

Pedals:
-Dr Scientist Bitquest
-Boss RV-6 reverb
-Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
-Digitech RP50
-Digitech Stereo Flanger
-Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
-Danelectro FAB Overdrive

So I've got this gear, and have two goals with the setup:

A) Set up a mini home studio that I won't have to repatch too much switching between various inputs (Tascam, Digitakt, Synth, Electric guitar all heading into Logic in my computer and out my monitors)

B) Chain these pedals together in a way that gets me some really lush, spacey tones, both from the guitar inputs as well as the tape, synth, or anything else I want to line in through there.

Like I said, I'll be fiddling around with it later this week, picking up patch cables, all that, but would love any tips/thought on setup before I dive in blind.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Looks like you got all the ingredients for a really great setup. If you are looking to record multiple instruments/layers at once, my advice would be to get an interface with a few more inputs than the UA Twin, even if it means not getting UA (although they are totally awesome). You could do it with the Twin and just get stereo of what you got coming in, but it will limit your editing/mixing options.

As for the pedals, my only advice given your stated purpose is to not make your chain too permanent. I've made the mistake of having a set up that was a little too rigid and getting slowed down when I wanted to experiment. Those pedals will sound/work very differently based on the chain, maybe it would be worth investing in a patch bay of some sort?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Before I start linking people to the Immerse MkII for Christmas reasons what other reverbs should I check out?

Notes:

Tone is #1, nothing else comes first.
Simplicity. No apps required preferably. Menus maybe but I’d rather have a traditional setup.

Honestly I haven’t found any I like more than the Immerse. I’m in the process of making an ep and having a top tier reverb pedal is the piece I’m chasing after still. Sadly my previous Ethereal wasn’t what I wanted. A Supermoon is possible too but I like the variety of the Immerse. I usually dislike multi pedals but for reverb it makes sense.

Also grabbing a MXR CC Deluxe soon. If anyone has challengers to toss my way go for it. CC is my favorite sound so it’s unlikely but it never hurts to look!

Juaguocio posted:

Oooo that one looks nice. Have you used it with bass? Does it cut any low end?

Hey man sorry I took three months before I remembered this lmao but no. It sounds awesome on every instrument I’ve used and somehow doesn’t shift the base tone much at all. I could record something if you want.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey dudes, been making a bunch of music lately and wanted to share something since I believe a lot of us have the Korg Minilogue. It really makes all the difference in the world running the mini through an effects chain before routing into your audio interface/amp. My chain is currently Boss OS-2 (Overdrive/Distortion) -> Bass Big Muff Pi -> Boss Super Chorus -> Boss RV-6 Reverb and I with that combination, I am having a ton of fun adding little synth parts to my beats. There is something that is a lot more inspiring about having a physical pedal to tinker with when playing a hardware synth.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MrSargent posted:

Hey dudes, been making a bunch of music lately and wanted to share something since I believe a lot of us have the Korg Minilogue. It really makes all the difference in the world running the mini through an effects chain before routing into your audio interface/amp. My chain is currently Boss OS-2 (Overdrive/Distortion) -> Bass Big Muff Pi -> Boss Super Chorus -> Boss RV-6 Reverb and I with that combination, I am having a ton of fun adding little synth parts to my beats. There is something that is a lot more inspiring about having a physical pedal to tinker with when playing a hardware synth.

:hmmyes:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Before I start linking people to the Immerse MkII for Christmas reasons what other reverbs should I check out?

Notes:

Tone is #1, nothing else comes first.
Simplicity. No apps required preferably. Menus maybe but I’d rather have a traditional setup.

Honestly I haven’t found any I like more than the Immerse. I’m in the process of making an ep and having a top tier reverb pedal is the piece I’m chasing after still. Sadly my previous Ethereal wasn’t what I wanted. A Supermoon is possible too but I like the variety of the Immerse. I usually dislike multi pedals but for reverb it makes sense.

meris mercury7 my guy you won't regret it i promise

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

meris mercury7 my guy you won't regret it i promise

Okay you’ve got the floor, go absolutely fuckin’ ham, get me hype, get it in my blood that I need one, gogogo

e: what the hell I just found out about the Polymoon and uh oh, the gas, the gassssss noooooo

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 8, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What about the DOD obscura?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay you’ve got the floor, go absolutely fuckin’ ham, get me hype, get it in my blood that I need one, gogogo

e: what the hell I just found out about the Polymoon and uh oh, the gas, the gassssss noooooo

okay so like

i had an immerse, totally happy, no interest in the strymon p/w horseshit, whatever; then i catch a video with the dudes from pedals and effects about the mercury7 and they get some loving weird poo poo out of it which is par for the course and i'm like neat okay this sounds super cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtAOFTg0Zs

for reference

and then i found out about the built in slow gear effect and the secondary functions and it's like christ gotta have it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EGp8vYVas

basically, for me, i have it set to one basic setting and then use the swell switch to get a bigger sound or for synth like pads but if you wanted to use a MIDI preset switch you could have 16 presets; it's as in depth or as basic as you want it to be with only two algorithms but a lot of sculpting options that you can take or leave

i set all the secondary functions where i want them like twenty minutes after buying the pedal (a year ago) then have adjusted the face knobs to tweak as necessary. i'll basically never need another reverb pedal because this covers basically every sound i want and covers every ambient/shoegazy need i could have. i use a cdr70 for supplemental weirdness but honestly i could probably just use the m7 and a dirt and be totally happy.

e: i had a neunaber immerse and an ehx cathedral and this pedal replaced them both, basically

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 8, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

okay so like

i had an immerse, totally happy, no interest in the strymon p/w horseshit, whatever; then i catch a video with the dudes from pedals and effects about the mercury7 and they get some loving weird poo poo out of it which is par for the course and i'm like neat okay this sounds super cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtAOFTg0Zs

for reference

and then i found out about the built in slow gear effect and the secondary functions and it's like christ gotta have it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EGp8vYVas

basically, for me, i have it set to one basic setting and then use the swell switch to get a bigger sound or for synth like pads but if you wanted to use a MIDI preset switch you could have 16 presets; it's as in depth or as basic as you want it to be with only two algorithms but a lot of sculpting options that you can take or leave

i set all the secondary functions where i want them like twenty minutes after buying the pedal (a year ago) then have adjusted the face knobs to tweak as necessary. i'll basically never need another reverb pedal because this covers basically every sound i want and covers every ambient/shoegazy need i could have. i use a cdr70 for supplemental weirdness but honestly i could probably just use the m7 and a dirt and be totally happy.

e: i had a neunaber immerse and an ehx cathedral and this pedal replaced them both, basically

My man

:hfive:

I’ve been reading reviews and watching videos of the pedal all day. Pretty sure I’m going to go with it!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Anyone have experience with the Keeley 30ms Automatic Double Tracker? I wanna cover Randy Rhoads songs, but I'm not as good as Randy Rhoads so I would like to cheat.

All the demos I can find are clean or blues-dad stuff and I have no idea if it holds up under moderate gain.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone have experience with the Keeley 30ms Automatic Double Tracker? I wanna cover Randy Rhoads songs, but I'm not as good as Randy Rhoads so I would like to cheat.

All the demos I can find are clean or blues-dad stuff and I have no idea if it holds up under moderate gain.

I may be understanding the pedal wrong but I think it would go after gain or in the effects loop so you wouldn’t have any issues with it. It should handle anything you throw at it.

It’s not gonna help you cheat your way to Rhoads though ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Trying to remember who makes this effect. It's literally a hand cranked cassette player with a 1/4" jack. It was around $320 and it was a company that also made a kinda chaos synth keyboard (not synthrotek). Anyone remember seeing this?