Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

this game is good in the same way age of conan was good. Very ambitious but poorly executed.

0/10 can't kick people off bridges with my horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Extra posted:

0/10 can't kick people off bridges with my horse

remember using the necromancer flesh bomb thingies to get people to get killed in town by guards?

Suicide bombing summons that you sic on someone while you are outside of town. They do tons of damage and you are too far away to aggro guards. If they try to kill them before they reach, the nearby guards will insta kill them.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

remember using the ...

This game is dead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Logged in today. Used one of those custom image potions to copy a real life "for sale" sign and stuck it on my 16x16 cottage. Sold it to the first person who came by for a thousand gold. He was so excited to finally get land it was painful to see :stonk:

Bought a heroic epherium meadow staff that already won the stat re-roll lottery. Logged off without even bothering to cast a spell and try it out.

Yeah it all went downhill after Alpha didn't it? gently caress Trion Worlds and Scott Hartsman.

Anyway, went back to Secret World and it has fifty times the content this lovely game ever did. Funcom even release new content for it now! :toot:

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Widestancer posted:

Post your favorite characters people made in Archeage

I spent more time in character creation than in the actual game.

At least making Ziggy Stardust elf & Nicki Minaj anime was kinda fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DancingShade posted:

Logged in today. Used one of those custom image potions to copy a real life "for sale" sign and stuck it on my 16x16 cottage. Sold it to the first person who came by for a thousand gold. He was so excited to finally get land it was painful to see :stonk:

Bought a heroic epherium meadow staff that already won the stat re-roll lottery. Logged off without even bothering to cast a spell and try it out.

A scam worthy of EVE Online, with an appropriate ending to boot!

Well done.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So i want to try this game but I've heard a couple of bad things about it. What are those bad things, do they matter, and is this a game worth trying out?

This game is a lot of fun, with a lot to offer. It has actually gotten more enjoyable now that the angry tryhards who flamed out in the first month or so have moved on. The server is still pretty busy but not overbusy, which makes the farming-trading side of things more accessible than it used to be.

A lot of things that people are complaining about on this thread (like the deflation of the "thunderstruck tree" market) were pretty good from a lot of peoples' perspective.

It's not all wine and roses. There are still hacks and exploits, and I really don't like the customer service support, but overall the game is worth giving a shot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nobody thinks thunderstrucks should have stayed that expensive, just that trion shouldn't have crashed it with an RNG cash shop box

so whatever thing is starting to be more expensive now or in the future, just don't even get involved because Trion is probably already jizzing themselves over the opportunity to put it in an RNG box and sell it

like for example, lets say there was a way to upgrade your vehicle to something that could hold six trade packs instead of four, thats pretty highly sought after and offers a pretty big gold advantage.......now lets say the only way to get this upgrade is to pay cash for it or buy it from some other nerd who paid cash for it

that is an explanation of why trion/XL games (whoever is wearing the pants in this relationship) is just fleecing people out of money before this game dies

eonwe fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 8, 2014

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Someone will always make money selling in-game items and/or currency. The question is, should it be shady gold sellers running sweatshops or hacks or credit card scams, or the company that publishes the game? I prefer it to be the latter, especially if the game itself doesn't cost a lot.

Should those cash-shop items be purely cosmetic, or should they actually be useful? I prefer that they be useful, so long as they are not game-breaking. Narrowing the gap between people who treat a game as their full-time job, and those who view it more as a form of entertainment and are willing to pay a bit to enjoy it, is not game-breaking. This is especially true when, as you point out, basically every cash-shop item can be purchased from others in-game using gold.

I do agree that it is likely that we will see additional cash-shop items appear to offer alternatives to things that are selling for thousands of gold in game. Following that reasoning, the next thing would probably be car plans or maybe a ship upgrade. (Not sure if this is pre-ordained or not by the versions of the game that are being rolled out over time.)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Finndo posted:

Someone will always make money selling in-game items and/or currency. The question is, should it be shady gold sellers running sweatshops or hacks or credit card scams, or the company that publishes the game? I prefer it to be the latter, especially if the game itself doesn't cost a lot.

Should those cash-shop items be purely cosmetic, or should they actually be useful? I prefer that they be useful, so long as they are not game-breaking. Narrowing the gap between people who treat a game as their full-time job, and those who view it more as a form of entertainment and are willing to pay a bit to enjoy it, is not game-breaking. This is especially true when, as you point out, basically every cash-shop item can be purchased from others in-game using gold.

I do agree that it is likely that we will see additional cash-shop items appear to offer alternatives to things that are selling for thousands of gold in game. Following that reasoning, the next thing would probably be car plans or maybe a ship upgrade. (Not sure if this is pre-ordained or not by the versions of the game that are being rolled out over time.)

Let me present this false dichotomy so that you have no choice but to agree with my reasonable sounding post defending crating up and selling power in a f2p game.

And cash shop items have to be bought from the cash shop at some point. There's no way around it being a blatant cash grab.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

nobody thinks thunderstrucks should have stayed that expensive, just that trion shouldn't have crashed it with an RNG cash shop box

so whatever thing is starting to be more expensive now or in the future, just don't even get involved because Trion is probably already jizzing themselves over the opportunity to put it in an RNG box and sell it

like for example, lets say there was a way to upgrade your vehicle to something that could hold six trade packs instead of four, thats pretty highly sought after and offers a pretty big gold advantage.......now lets say the only way to get this upgrade is to pay cash for it or buy it from some other nerd who paid cash for it

that is an explanation of why trion/XL games (whoever is wearing the pants in this relationship) is just fleecing people out of money before this game dies

Bauxite posted:

Let me present this false dichotomy so that you have no choice but to agree with my reasonable sounding post defending crating up and selling power in a f2p game.

And cash shop items have to be bought from the cash shop at some point. There's no way around it being a blatant cash grab.

You could stop being the 47% and buy an APEX or two or buy them straight off the AH. There's literally nothing you have to pay real money for ever in this game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

the only way to get this upgrade is to pay cash for it or buy it from some other nerd who paid cash for it

it doesnt change the fact that its still a cash grab where people have to pay trion money for people to access a 6 slot cart, which is not trivial

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Eonwe posted:

it doesnt change the fact that its still a cash grab where people have to pay trion money for people to access a 6 slot cart, which is not trivial

Who says cash shop items need to be trivial?

Why would they need to be trivial?

What's wrong with a for-profit company making money?

It's funny that it seems like I am defending Trion because I really dislike the way the company handled this rollout for a lot of reasons, but their cash shop isn't one of them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
source your quotes

gating content or items that give you an advantage even for people that are subscribers behind real world cash shop purchases is just a bad idea in general

if you dont get that then you honestly deserve a game as bad as archeage

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 8, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Do subscribers or whatever at least get a stipend of cash shop currency like most F2P MMOs? Because if a subscriber could reasonably get the upgraded cart and some other nice things once in a while without buying any extra currency then that's not so bad. But if a subscriber still has to pony up for the cart upgrade because they don't get a stipend or it would take several months to buy with the stipend then that's horseshit and gently caress KMMOs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Do subscribers or whatever at least get a stipend of cash shop currency like most F2P MMOs? Because if a subscriber could reasonably get the upgraded cart and some other nice things once in a while without buying any extra currency then that's not so bad. But if a subscriber still has to pony up for the cart upgrade because they don't get a stipend or it would take several months to buy with the stipend then that's horseshit and gently caress KMMOs.

no they dont, they only get loyalty tokens which you can use to like buy an RNG box or something equally dumb every few days

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Chomp8645 posted:

Not sure I follow your reasoning (since anyone can always decide whether it's worth their money to spend on subbing and cash shop items), but the answer to your question is "yes and no."

Subscribers ("patrons") get "Loyalty" points which can be used for certain cash shop items, together with other benefits including increased "labor" and the ability to own land. "Credits" can be bought by anyone, subscribers and non-subscribers alike. In addition, although it got fubared by hacks, you could also purchase credits with in-game gold via something called "APEX." I think that is currently disabled but is supposed to return. Finally, as noted above, most cash-shop items can also be sold or traded in game to other players.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no, the answer is no,

you don't get a stipend of funbux monthly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eonwe posted:

no they dont, they only get loyalty tokens which you can use to like buy an RNG box or something equally dumb every few days

Hahaha, what the gently caress Archeage? Even SWTOR, one of the most infamously stingy "gently caress the poors" F2P models out there still gave people who chose to subscribe a nice stipend that let them buy goodies from the cash shop reasonably.

It's absurd that someone paying $15 every month for an MMO would still be expected to pony up for poo poo like a cart upgrade. It should be either be included in the subscription or subscribers should receive a reasonable stipend. gently caress you Archeage.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress Archeage? Even SWTOR, one of the most infamously stingy "gently caress the poors" F2P models out there still gave people who chose to subscribe a nice stipend that let them buy goodies from the cash shop reasonably.

It's absurd that someone paying $15 every month for an MMO would still be expected to pony up for poo poo like a cart upgrade. It should be either be included in the subscription or subscribers should receive a reasonable stipend. gently caress you Archeage.

Yep, basically what can happen is you can be a sub and if you want that cart upgrade you have two options. Pay Trion for it, or buy it with gold from another player who paid Trion for it. There is no possible way in which that upgraded cart can exist that did not entail someone paying Trion, sub or not.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, it would be nice if your $15 subscription came with a couple bucks worth of credits. Instead you get a completely separate Loyalty currency, which can only be spent in the small Loyalty section of the cash shop. If you bought the best loyalty to gold items and sold them on the AH you could get an amount of gold equivalent to $5-10 worth of credits. With the APEX item you could use the gold to buy credits, but it involves several layers of buying and selling to get there, so the actual conversion is highly variable.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Some cash shop items are also available in the Loyalty shop. Tax certificates are the most obvious ones (you use these to pay taxes on land you own). If you play every day you can get 200 tax certs a month from Loyalty. The only difference between them and cash-shop tax certs are that the ones bought with Loyalty are not-tradeable. You can get 200 tax certs this way every month, which would cost you 900 credits (cash shop currency) or approximately 200 gold to buy them yourself (or spending labor in game to make them yourself, which is hugely inefficient).

You can also use them to buy workers' compensation potions (which restore labor, something you need to perform basically every trade-related function.) Most people don't use loyalty for this because the cost-benefit isn't the same.

You can also get boxes that give random items. Plus a smattering of fluffy, cosmetic stuff, and maybe another useful item or two. But almost everyone I know uses them for tax certs.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Finndo posted:

Who says cash shop items need to be trivial?

Why would they need to be trivial?

What's wrong with a for-profit company making money?

It's funny that it seems like I am defending Trion because I really dislike the way the company handled this rollout for a lot of reasons, but their cash shop isn't one of them.

They can make money with trivial poo poo like cosmetic items. They make money with subscriptions. RNG boxes and poo poo like appraisal certificates don't belong in a cash shop. Especially in a game like Archeage where the best gear can be bought with gold.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Finndo posted:

Some cash shop items are also available in the Loyalty shop. Tax certificates are the most obvious ones (you use these to pay taxes on land you own). If you play every day you can get 200 tax certs a month from Loyalty. The only difference between them and cash-shop tax certs are that the ones bought with Loyalty are not-tradeable. You can get 200 tax certs this way every month, which would cost you 900 credits (cash shop currency) or approximately 200 gold to buy them yourself (or spending labor in game to make them yourself, which is hugely inefficient).

You can also use them to buy workers' compensation potions (which restore labor, something you need to perform basically every trade-related function.) Most people don't use loyalty for this because the cost-benefit isn't the same.

You can also get boxes that give random items. Plus a smattering of fluffy, cosmetic stuff, and maybe another useful item or two. But almost everyone I know uses them for tax certs.

can you buy an upgrade to your cart with loyalty tokens

i know what you can buy with real money, thunderstrucks in RNG boxes to get the materials to make the cart

when you get those materials you can buy the upgrade too with real money

lol

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Eonwe posted:

gating content or items that give you an advantage even for people that are subscribers behind real world cash shop purchases is just a bad idea in general

Eonwe posted:

...but the game launched with this exact system? The APEX system which directly translated RL money into patron? Hell, by this definition "patron" is gated and it is arguably far, far more important than an upgraded 2 slot hauler in terms of game importance. The line between "paying subscriber" and "F2P poopsocker who subscribed with someone elses APEX" is non-existent, if this game had a cash-only subscription then the arguments you guys are making vis a vis stipends would make sense but it makes little sense if a lot of time-rich but money poor people can gain subscription status.

I know that I, and a lot of other people wouldn't have played the game if I had to continually sub. Honestly, it wasn't worth a 15$ sub to me, but the game facilitated me playing for longer than I intended due to the APEX for Patron system. Someone had to buy all the APEX that entered the economy, I mean, I don't see why you are singling out haulers for being symptomatic of a cash-grab state of mind when APEX was pre-packaged at the games launch as a direct means for paying for "power" in-game.

If this was a B2P/cash only subscription game then I'd wholeheartedly agree. A cash shop in those games selling non-cosmetic items would be something to laugh at,however, this is a F2P MMORPG. I mean, pay2win poo poo from the cash-shop is like a standard F2P MMO feature at this point

You pretty much raised a criticism of F2P MMORPGs in general, since this is exactly how their business model operates. The smaller percentage of people "falling for the cashgrab" are essentially providing patron/subscriber/cash shop exclusive status/items to others, who in turn create content to keep the "whales" interested, which is the demographic that (insert developer of shoddy MMORPG) is explicitly aiming for. How do you see Trion, or any other company operating a F2P MMORPG if they can't maximize revenue gained from the cash-shop ?

poo poo like the cash shop bears, farm haulers etc. are standard bread and butter.

This is further complicated by the fact that the combat in this KMMO seem to reward ping/gear/money/time spent (on pots and consumables ) far more than actual skill. Take another popular F2P MMOG, World of Tanks, where you can throw down real money to "progress" (skip grinding/save time) to the end-game, but plopping down fat stacks has a very, very limited effect on how well you do in the game, contrasted with this game which has a totally different set of game mechanics that don't positively compliment the business model.

All this game has done has reinforced a distaste for F2P MMORPGS/cash-shops in general (since those two things are now synonymous), I'd be far more willing to drop 50 or a monthly 15 to a game free of the cash shop infestation, but man, you can't tell me you weren't expecting this when you looked at the game in the first place.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats a lot of words that i didnt read probably defending lovely f2p mmo practices

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Some f2p cash shops are really good. Some are really bad.

This is really bad.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Eonwe posted:

thats a lot of words that i didnt read

Clearly, or you would have noticed I didn't actually at any point defend it, just pointing out that people acting surprised that a F2P MMORPG operates like a F2P MMORPG in terms of blatantly targeting whales is kinda hilarious at this point. I mean, were people honestly expecting anything different? For gods sake, trion came out with the APEX system which was at its core offering customers the chance to buy they way as far as they wanted into the in-game economy (which translates into raw combat ability due to how important gear is in this game), so acting like a Hauler was the straw that broke the camels back is dumb

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bridgeburner_ posted:

so acting like a Hauler was the straw that broke the camels back is dumb

how did I pretend that

its just an easy target you big angry weirdo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are f2p systems that do not target whales. There are ones that have recently been made that do not target whales. Expecting them to target whales is retardo as them targeting whales.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

There are f2p systems that do not target whales. There are ones that have recently been made that do not target whales. Expecting them to target whales is retardo as them targeting whales.

Well, the ones I "respect" insofar as they don't outright translate money into overwhelming gameplay advantage all aren't MMORPGs, i.e I'm only familiar with MOBAs (Dota 2/LoL) and games like World of Tanks and Warthunder that have F2P systems I'm happy with, where they limit cash purchases to ease "grinding" or purely cosmetic features. Even in those fields you have lemons like MWO with their clan-mechs so it isn't all exclusive to MMORPGs, but I hear most of the horror stories about cash-shops (and now, have experienced them) in tab-targetting MMORPGs. The economy in AA is pretty much tied into the combat with the gear/item based focus in combat versus "intangible skills"(that are learned in aforementioned non-MMORPG games and can't be bought), I mean, it's just a matter of repeating your skill rotation and chomping down on HP/mana pots/buffs until the other guy is dead, or zerging harder, something you can't do in the other games.

edit: All I'm saying is that from the beginning, the signs were there, with the whole concept of the APEX system and what it stood for, which is basically an uncapped exchange rate of RL money = in-game money. It also complicates things by creating a situation where you have non-paying subscribers and paying subscribers and the game/or company doesn't distinguish between the two.

Bridgeburner_ fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 8, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
stop posting so many loving words you tremendous human being

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

stop posting so many loving words you tremendous human being

*tiptiptiptitptip*

Is that more around your level? laffo

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Game its fun to me. Nuff said

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
Let me cause some more crying. Games still fun, cash grab isn't real, people who should have been permabanned still blocked. East guild still not recruiting.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also I don't know why the people who obviously hate this game are trying so hard to make the people who like this game miserable and I don't know why the people who like this game feel like they need to defend the games honor from the people who just want to stay in the thread to poo poo on its chest.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also I don't know why the people who obviously hate this game are trying so hard to make the people who like this game miserable and I don't know why the people who like this game feel like they need to defend the games honor from the people who just want to stay in the thread to poo poo on its chest.

I agree with you on the first point. For the second point, it looked like there was an actual potential new player and he was being given completely skewed, negative information from the people in the first category. That's why I posted, anyway -- I'd like to see new players come into the game.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Does anyone here actually hate this game?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Finndo posted:

I agree with you on the first point. For the second point, it looked like there was an actual potential new player and he was being given completely skewed, negative information from the people in the first category. That's why I posted, anyway -- I'd like to see new players come into the game.

The question was if they ave you cash shop currency for being subscribed. The answer is objectively no, loyalty is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

himurak posted:

Let me cause some more crying. Games still fun, cash grab isn't real, people who should have been permabanned still blocked. East guild still not recruiting.

lol its cute when people think they are relevant

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Nobody hates this game, as far as I can tell. Its a bad game. I play lots of bad games and post about them. I don't see the issue? Like, I've been involved in this game since a bit before launch. I'm going to post in Archeage threads till there isn't an Archeage thread anymore. You're stuck with me.

Finndo posted:

I literally just told the truth while you were hemming and hawing about what benefits you get, which had nothing to do with the real question.

• Locked thread