Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Twisto just wanna emphasize again how amazing and incredibly detailed (and long) your AV is. Someone out there really, really loving cares about s club seven.

Have a wander through the UKMT in D&D (you don't have to read any of the actual posts), mine's actually fairly dull compared to some of them. Like I say, whoever's doing it is an artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The problem here is that day-to-day life has conditioned me to read 'like I say' in a heavy south african accent and that fills me with a hate I know you don't deserve.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Simple Green makes a wheel cleaner that works really well. Brake cleaner supposedly isn't good for rubber or plastics and on a bike it'd be a bitch to keep it from splattering places where you don't want it.

Trip report: simple green wheel cleaner worked really well on the 3/4 of the wheel I used it on last night (along with a big scrubbing brush and a toothbrush), but seeing as how I hadn't tried to clean it before, maybe water and scrubbing would have done a good job too. Now I need to get the old wheel weight glue off, but I have goo gone and a razor scraper, so I'm hoping it won't be a big deal.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Trip report: simple green wheel cleaner worked really well on the 3/4 of the wheel I used it on last night (along with a big scrubbing brush and a toothbrush), but seeing as how I hadn't tried to clean it before, maybe water and scrubbing would have done a good job too. Now I need to get the old wheel weight glue off, but I have goo gone and a razor scraper, so I'm hoping it won't be a big deal.

Watch it with the razor - you might not even need it with goo gone, a microfiber towel, and some elbow grease. No sense scraping up your wheels

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How can I clean splotchy discoloration on headers? It's not like raised rust or anything. Just threw some naval jelly on there, no luck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Like surface rust discoloration or like the natural blue/brown heat discoloration?

A brass wire wheel in an angle grinder usually does a good job (or brass wool pot scrubbers if you wanna get swole)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jazzzzz posted:

Watch it with the razor - you might not even need it with goo gone, a microfiber towel, and some elbow grease. No sense scraping up your wheels

I use a plastic scraper thing so it doesn't scratch the wheel and some goo-gone with a rag.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Like surface rust discoloration or like the natural blue/brown heat discoloration?

A brass wire wheel in an angle grinder usually does a good job (or brass wool pot scrubbers if you wanna get swole)

I think it's surface rust. Basically brown splash-type splotches, although you can't really "feel" them above the surface.

Like so:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Any suggestions for getting stains out of paint?

My tank is white and there are a few dark stains right near where the faring butts up to it.

I'm thinking the PO serviced it, got some kind of fluid on there, then didn't wipe it off so it set right in.

Soap & water do nothing, and I'm scared I'll gently caress up the finish if I experiment with stronger chemicals.

(sorry no pics, I'm away from home a few days)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dumb. posted:

My tank is white and there are a few dark stains right near where the faring butts up to it.

I'm thinking the PO serviced it, got some kind of fluid on there, then didn't wipe it off so it set right in.

Soap & water do nothing, and I'm scared I'll gently caress up the finish if I experiment with stronger chemicals.

T-cut should do it but be careful if it's on plastic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
How many more miles is this tire good for?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the wear bars are at least a quarter inch under the belts that are showing there, you've got a good 2k left

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'd probably leave it on the side of the road at this point.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

dumb. posted:

Some Mothers or Meguiars polish should help.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Does anybody know if it's a good idea to do motorcycle auctions? My aunt is in a rough spot financially and her truck is getting incredibly old and unreliable. I wanted to buy and fix up some scooter that she could take to work if the truck is acting up as a gift. I feel like I could get some kind of metropolitan or zuma there for cheaper than craigslist prices, but have no idea whether there are some auctions I should avoid or not.

Tl;dr are motorcycle auctions cool and if so what are the good ones?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Chichevache posted:

How many more miles is this tire good for?

Just do a Munro, add some shoe polish and it'll be all right.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I just need to spend more time at a 45° angle.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

for sale posted:

Does anybody know if it's a good idea to do motorcycle auctions? My aunt is in a rough spot financially and her truck is getting incredibly old and unreliable. I wanted to buy and fix up some scooter that she could take to work if the truck is acting up as a gift. I feel like I could get some kind of metropolitan or zuma there for cheaper than craigslist prices, but have no idea whether there are some auctions I should avoid or not.

Tl;dr are motorcycle auctions cool and if so what are the good ones?

I have a mate that has picked up some great bikes from bike auctions, he loves them. I don't know if they have them where you are but the Police auctions are great.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odette posted:

Just do a Munro, add some shoe polish and it'll be all right.

all he needs to do is turn more and he's fine

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is cutting open a resin sealed cdi something that's possible to do? If I could get a replacement I wouldn't be asking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Is cutting open a resin sealed cdi something that's possible to do? If I could get a replacement I wouldn't be asking.

Dunno specifically about CDIs but in general, no, unless you've got very lucky and they've used one of the resins that goes powdery and brittle when it ages and you can just chip it out. Well it is technically possible with infinite patience and time but you're probably still going to end up damaging something.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

what application is it for?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone have any opinioms about a DRZ400sm vs a Husky SM610? Re: Reliability, service intervals, etc?

Edit: wrong thread whoops.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

If it's a basic 80s style CDI in a plastic case with the hard[ish] resin, yes. I've done it once, it seemed like the procedure would be to cut the plastic case off with a dremel, get it down to the resin block, and then soak the resin in acetone for days and days and carefully scrape it off the electronics.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the missus' husky te250. So am I to understand the entire circuit board is drowned in the poo poo and it isn't just a cover type thing? Dear god.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the pcb gets put in the case and then the case is flooded with epoxy and cured.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fack. Why did she have to fixate on a bike with no parts avaliability ffs.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I got a 1980 XR200. RIP me. It runs, but a little rough and WOT is rough. I think I've got something of a handle on that, but what places do you guys tend to search for parts/diagrams and the like?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're in that place already. If you're using chrome just open a new tab and half the work is done for you!

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Here, get you started:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1980/XR200+A/parts.html

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/hon/505416d4f870021c54bef480/1980-xr200-a-parts

Ordered from both, no issues.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm running into a rather irritating problem: my speedometer keeps coming unplugged. After taking the instrument cluster apart, I noticed that the white bracket (in the center of the image below) only had one screw where it should have two. I assumed this was the source of the problem, since without the other screw there it really wasn't doing much to hold the speedo cable in place. I remedied this, but sure enough, 40 miles later my speedometer stopped working again.

I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point. As near as I can tell, there isn't anything wrong with the cable itself, nor is any fault readily apparent with where it clips into the instrument cluster. Is there something I could use to affix it to the instrument cluster, but in a way that could be undone later? It can't be anything permanent like epoxy, since it'd prevent me from taking the cluster apart in the future. For reference, the picture below is the back of the cluster, and the metal plug in the center of the pic (between the two screws) is what the cable clips into.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is the cable coming unplugged, leading to the speedo not working? Or is it just stopping without anything obvious being amiss? It's hard to tell from your post.

If it's the former, you'll have to bodge something up to hold it in there with safety wire or cable ties if you don't want it to be permanent, it looks suspiciously like a chinese scooter or similar so everything is poo poo-tier quality to start with and actually using the vehicle just makes things worse.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I guess you could wrap some rubber bands around either the round bit (with the O ring on it) to push out the little arms with pegs on them, or around the arms themselves.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

safety wire.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Is the cable coming unplugged, leading to the speedo not working? Or is it just stopping without anything obvious being amiss? It's hard to tell from your post.

If it's the former, you'll have to bodge something up to hold it in there with safety wire or cable ties if you don't want it to be permanent, it looks suspiciously like a chinese scooter or similar so everything is poo poo-tier quality to start with and actually using the vehicle just makes things worse.

It's the former. This has happened three times so far, and the first two times it was because the cable came unplugged (I haven't opened it up again since the speedometer and odometer stopped working yesterday, but ten bucks says it's the exact same problem again).

High Protein posted:

I guess you could wrap some rubber bands around either the round bit (with the O ring on it) to push out the little arms with pegs on them, or around the arms themselves.

I was trying to figure out a way to wrap something around the plug to keep the prongs/arms pushed outwards and thus clipped into the instrument cluster, but it never occurred to me to use rubber bands. I'll give this a shot, thanks!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Communist Walrus posted:

It's the former. This has happened three times so far, and the first two times it was because the cable came unplugged (I haven't opened it up again since the speedometer and odometer stopped working yesterday, but ten bucks says it's the exact same problem again).

I was trying to figure out a way to wrap something around the plug to keep the prongs/arms pushed outwards and thus clipped into the instrument cluster, but it never occurred to me to use rubber bands. I'll give this a shot, thanks!

You should probably also check whatever cable routing is causing the speedo cable to have tension on it, unplugging it. There shouldn't be any force in that direction on the cable, which is why the mechanism to hold it in place is wimpy.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Is it a worm gear? Does the Speedo do anything weird while it is still working? If so, it could be binding and twisting the whole cable loose.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have a dumb question about my FZ: If it's pretty bouncy at higher speeds, as in, "i get bounced out of my seat", does that mean i should crank the preload in a certain direction to compensate? or just learn to anticipate bumps and post with my legs like its a horse or something? I'm 6' and 200lbs, so i'm kinda fat, for reference

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 23, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You should probably be running more preload/a stiffer spring, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Excessive bouncing is a sign of insufficient damping, though I don't know how much that's adjustable on your particular bike.