Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Alex DeLarge posted:

You could say that, save for the fact that John McCain has disavowed EVER being maverick-ey.

Since when McCain have ever stop being a stooge for someone else plan?
Regardless of what he actually believe in, he always follow other people narrative and plan. You can see how his behavior, beliefs and personality change for the election, for the gun control debate, in this issue and before when he was just an elected representative who actually have backbone.

My money is on the Israeli Government/ lobby group so that we once again have to fight their battle for them again. Here hoping Obama continue being smart and giving the finger to those crazy warmongers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So if I'm understanding this right, the neo-con institute for the study of war helped arrange this McCain visit?

https://twitter.com/lizobagy

I don't actually think she's particularly neo-con, but it's a problematic association.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Sethmaster posted:

My money is on the Israeli Government/ lobby group so that we once again have to fight their battle for them again. Here hoping Obama continue being smart and giving the finger to those crazy warmongers

If by "finger" you mean billions annually in military aid and a free reign to unilaterally bomb neighboring countries, then yes, Obama will continue being smart and do just that.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

illrepute posted:

If by "finger" you mean billions annually in military aid and a free reign to unilaterally bomb neighboring countries, then yes, Obama will continue being smart and do just that.

This may be harsh to people not used to the reality of the world but as long as its their own men and women that are at risk, not ours, its being smart. Especially considering that it's pretty much impossible to repel mutual defense agreement with Israel without impeachment, thanks to strong lobbying and Republican presence.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
The Muslim Brotherhood, masters of selfish self-sabotage and the least representative group of the Syrian interior have done it again. I don't know how these people think, but I do know that they have had the most poisonous effect on the Syrian revolution since it's earliest days, I'd say second only to the regime.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Muffiner posted:

The Muslim Brotherhood, masters of selfish self-sabotage and the least representative group of the Syrian interior have done it again. I don't know how these people think, but I do know that they have had the most poisonous effect on the Syrian revolution since it's earliest days, I'd say second only to the regime.

Brilliant, the best way to gain Western support is to tell everyone that the Muslim Brotherhood, who drafted the wondrous constitution in Egypt that classified women and non-muslims as second class citizens with very few rights, are a major force in charge of Syria rebel leadership. :allears: Yes, add to the fact that they proved that once in power, they will not even give a drat what others concern are and pretty much behave like an echo chamber.

Ahhh, egypt. The only current place where jews have to pay a crippling tax on top of normal taxes everyone pay, because of their race, regardless of their actual status and poverty. Must feel like heaven down there now that all the jews are running away with their ungodly businesses :jihad:.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, with the EU opening up arms trading, things will probably get a lot worse before they get better, especially if money and arm increasingly finds their way to the Salafists. It seems more jet fuel is going to be thrown on the war, and at this point it doesn't look like Assad is ready to collapse either and it looks like Lebanon is now being added as another front.

I guess one real question is if Jordan will eventually destabilize, it has traditionally been the lynchpin of Western interests in the region, but if waves of more refugees flood into it, there might be even greater turmoil.

Also, the economy in Egypt if anything has been getting worse not better as time as gone on, which only adds more chaos into the equation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Time for a regional war!

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Time for a regional war!

Brown Moses are going to have a long career in this field if this comes true, which I believe pretty much will.
This is of course, thanks to rich fat muslim bastards who believe that they have no better way to improve their political standing than by sponsoring the killing of other ethnic groups in the region or cozying up to those that are.
Add to the fact that everyone in the middle east have prejudice toward each others help make things more volatile.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would a regional war have been prevented if the US armed the rebels immediately?

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Would a regional war have been prevented if the US armed the rebels immediately?

Nope considering a regional war is only possible when the entire region is a powder keg waiting to explode. But we will enjoyed being blamed for it happening at all much earlier and in more media coverage. Especially when any of our famous NATO armaments are being displayed in videos and hi-res photos.

That said, Libya currently is not actually stable at all with armed militias brazenly enacting their own brand of justice and "economy". :rolleyes:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Your move, Putin.

http://rt.com/news/eu-arms-syria-embargo-russia-870/

tl;dr: The Russians are finalising a sale of the S-300 SAM system to Assad. As far as SAM systems go, the S-300 is a BAMF, since NATO's done several exercises with former Warsaw Pact members who still use it and generally even with extreme measures taken to nullify it it's perfectly capable of murdering limited strike forces. Basically if these get set up and the rebels don't take them then so much for Israeli strikes and/or drones.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Forums Terrorist posted:

tl;dr: The Russians are finalising a sale of the S-300 SAM system to Assad. As far as SAM systems go, the S-300 is a BAMF, since NATO's done several exercises with former Warsaw Pact members who still use it and generally even with extreme measures taken to nullify it it's perfectly capable of murdering limited strike forces. Basically if these get set up and the rebels don't take them then so much for Israeli strikes and/or drones.

Well I guess it was to be expected since the EU laid their cards on the table.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

quote:

The country endured three airstrikes this year, which are widely thought to have been conducted by Israel, but were never officially confirmed as such.

And hundreds of airstrikes by the Syrian air force on its own population but these don't count apparently.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
It's a pro-Kremlin clap trap that's more available in the US than Al Jazeera is for some god awful reason. With that said, they're usually not lying when it comes to something Russia is oding.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

CeeJee posted:

And hundreds of airstrikes by the Syrian air force on its own population but these don't count apparently.

They don't as far as the Russians care because they're not making GBS threads on any state's sovereignty in the process.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Xandu posted:

So if I'm understanding this right, the neo-con institute for the study of war helped arrange this McCain visit?

https://twitter.com/lizobagy

I don't actually think she's particularly neo-con, but it's a problematic association.

Is ISW really neo-con? I have thoroughly enjoyed reading their reports on Syria and found them well researched, but admittedly l raised my eyebrows at the last report (on Iranian involvement in Syria) being co-authored with someone from AEI.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

suboptimal posted:

Is ISW really neo-con? I have thoroughly enjoyed reading their reports on Syria and found them well researched, but admittedly l raised my eyebrows at the last report (on Iranian involvement in Syria) being co-authored with someone from AEI.

quote:

Founded in 2007, the Institute for the Study of War (ISW) is a Washington, D.C.-based think tank that has supported long-term U.S. military intervention abroad, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan.

quote:

directors included: ISW founder and president Kim Kagan; Elizabeth Cheney, daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney and founder of the right-wing advocacy groups such as Keep America Safe; William Kristol, editor of the neoconservative flagship magazine the Weekly Standard

from
http://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/institute_for_the_study_of_war

Sound pretty right wing to me. What's your take on this?

Also important to note

quote:

ISW often provides a podium for military brass who advocate the escalation of U.S. military engagements.

Basically people who love sending our people to die to fatten their defense buddies wallet.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Whoa, jeeze, yeah, doesn't get much more neocon than that. Admittedly, I'm only familiar with Joseph Holliday's Syria work for ISW, so I hadn't really looked into the organization's leadership or its backers.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Forums Terrorist posted:

I would imagine the Israeli's would have a plan for dealing with the S-300 if it did get deployed? I assume so, cause of their track record dealing with state of the art SAM systems, like in the Bekaa valley back in the day?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Saint Celestine posted:

I would imagine the Israeli's would have a plan for dealing with the S-300 if it did get deployed? I assume so, cause of their track record dealing with state of the art SAM systems, like in the Bekaa valley back in the day?

I'm sure their plan involves asking us for more money/better arms =/.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sethmaster posted:

Ahhh, egypt. The only current place where jews have to pay a crippling tax on top of normal taxes everyone pay, because of their race, regardless of their actual status and poverty. Must feel like heaven down there now that all the jews are running away with their ungodly businesses :jihad:.

:psyduck:

That's just Cartman levels of villainy ("give me all your jewgold").

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Can't wait for another USS Liberty incident with the Israelis sinking a Tartus-bound freighter that happens to be carrying the S-300s. Or will they wait until the missiles are off-loaded and moving out in a convoy?

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
It's interesting that Russia is going through with this deal while still slow-footing the sale of S-300's to Iran. They definitely don't want to give up their interests in Syria.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

illrepute posted:

A/RES/67/234 (which, really, is just a for-real-this-time implementation of A/CONF.217/CRP.1) was never meant to control weapon transfers meant for the Syrian rebels. It very specifically lays out the the principles and methods of international arms trade between states. To me, owing to the timing and wording of the resolution, it seems likely that the treaty as implemented exists mainly to prevent the Iranians from supplying the Syrian government while giving outside states free reign to continue arming the non-state rebels- note that at the time of the resolution's adoption the main complaints from the Iranians was that the treaty failed to have enough regulations preventing transfer of arms to "terrorist groups" who probably in the mind of the Iranian government include the Syrian rebels.

So sending arms to Hizbollah or any pro-government Alawite militia would be okay, then? That's a ridiculous exemption. And if SNC is recognized by the west as a legitimate representative of Syria, how are they not a state actor? I don't quite understand this reasoning, especially as the text makes note of any transfers when there is knowledge that the arms would be used for war crimes.

quote:

A State Party shall not authorize any transfer of conventional arms covered under Article 2 (1) or of items covered under Article 3 or Article 4, if it has knowledge at the time of authorization that the arms or items would be used in the commission of genocide, crimes against humanity, grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions of 1949, attacks directed against civilian objects or civilians protected as such, or other war crimes as defined by international agreements to which it is a Party.

There is also the danger of weapons ending up being trafficked to other countries in the region with ongoing conflicts. I really don't believe that this will solve more problems that it'll cause.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Saint Celestine posted:

Hit them before they're fully set up, most likely.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

suboptimal posted:

Their Syria researchers are both pretty good, but they have a very conservative leadership and a very close association with AEI. ISW's founder is married to one of AEI's senior scholars and their staff regularly collaborate.

edit: McCain's in Yemen today, so he must be on a middle east tour

Xandu fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 28, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Taerkar posted:

Hit them before they're fully set up, most likely.

Upload a virus, watch as they shoot down SAF planes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sethmaster posted:

Sorry, but what?
I have never heard of this.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sorry, but what?

Unless I'm mistaken, he's talking about jizya, which was abolished in Egypt some 150 years ago and would in theory be levied against the less than 100 jews who live in Egypt.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Sancho posted:

I'm sure their plan involves asking us for more money/better arms =/.

This, basically. Their current bet is to hit them before they're set up, but if that falls through they're banking on the F-35...so basically they're doubling down on Plan A.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, he's talking about jizya, which was abolished in Egypt some 150 years ago and would in theory be levied against the less than 100 jews who live in Egypt.

Jizya would have been levied against all non-muslims so I dunno.
It wasn't Jew, or any other denomination, specific.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Forums Terrorist posted:

This deal has been going on for about a month. Definitely not a response to the embargo not being renewed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I really hope this isn't a real gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAztmhnSusM

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sorry, but what?

My mistake. It actually is

Sethmaster posted:

Ahhh, egypt. The only current place where jews and non-muslims have to pay a crippling tax on top of normal taxes everyone pay, because of their race and creed, regardless of their actual status and poverty. Must feel like heaven down there now that all the jews, coptics and other christians(tourists) are running away with their ungodly businesses :jihad:.

Why gently caress just the jews? Let's make everyone hate us, including the chinese!!! :jihad:

Egypt new constitution contains these lovely laws to ensure Egyptians will regard themselves as the kings and rulers of this world. Provided that they don't starve to death first, of course :cheers:

Or blasphemy, go to white man land where they are no better than anyone else, no matter what their creed are. The horror !!! :pray:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The saddest videos are the ones with parents encouraging their kids to play with guns and unexploded bombs and poo poo :(

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Sethmaster posted:

Egypt new constitution contains these lovely laws

No it doesn't. If you're so certain otherwise, please pull up a source that is not "groundless speculation and fearmongering based on an email fwd:fwd:fwd"

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

No it doesn't. If you're so certain otherwise, please pull up a source that is not "groundless speculation and fearmongering based on an email fwd:fwd:fwd"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/18/new-constitution-imperils-egypts-christians/?page=all

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2013/03/egyptian-cleric-american-aid-jizya-to-egypt-is-a-mandatory-tax.html

http://www.aina.org/news/20121231162311.htm

http://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/usa-obamas-dhimmi-jizya-tax-to-egypt-blocked-by-house-lawmaker/

How about give a bit of effort when trying to debate? I quite sure that you are not new to the Internet nor reading.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Well that's certainly a list of references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Sethmaster posted:

This may be harsh to people not used to the reality of the world but as long as its their own men and women that are at risk, not ours, its being smart. Especially considering that it's pretty much impossible to repel mutual defense agreement with Israel without impeachment, thanks to strong lobbying and Republican presence.

If we don't fight them over there, we'll fight them over here.

Israel's wars are America's wars.

And I don't take kindly toward the oblique assertion that I'm "not used to reality" from a guy that uses atlasshrugs as a reference.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 28, 2013

• Locked thread