Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Quixzlizx posted:

How are you getting $850? I'm seeing $989.

same. it also doesn't ship for a month.

i don't really need one but i'd think about it for work or something at 850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/o...ck&pStoreID=epp

Try that one

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Still $989. I tried manually copying the link into a new tab, too. Also tried Firefox and Chrome.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I don’t know. It showed that price prior to log in as well. https://imgur.com/a/rGvbd13

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Yeah, I'm not seeing that "Private Store Exclusive Price" message, so that's probably the difference.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Even at 989 that's a great deal. Omen's are maybe not quite as well put together as Asus/Legion but they are a cut above most Dell Inspiron/MSI/etc in terms of gaming laptops. They're typically very good value and for a gaming laptop this is ridicu-good.

FYI, the bump in CPU prob isn't worth it, memory isn't awful though very very few games will use 32GB. 1TB NVME for an extra $100 is ok, you can probably find one for $120ish and then have a backup 500GB.

extra $1k for a 3080 is super stupid especially because in laptop 3080 mobile isn't like a 3080 desktop, its not all that much better than a 3070.

I'd also expect it to ship earlier than a month, HP usually gets their stuff out in about half the listed time, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. YMMV.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I have a feeling these will get canceled.

Upgraded the RAM to 32 gig for $100 extra:
TOTAL $1,040.82

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I heard HP did that to a lot of BF orders.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's back to $1600. So yeah, must've been a pricing error. $1000 was a too-good-to-be-true price.

edit: Switching the storage to 512GB + 32GB Optane brings it back down to $989? Weird

edit 2: now it's fixed for all configurations.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 16, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Anyone snag that deal and get it honored?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

pixaal posted:

They haven’t canceled mine yet, but I highly doubt I end up with a laptop at my door.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

pixaal posted:

Mine has yet to be canceled.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Might not have been a price mistake, they might be trying to move out inventory for the next refreshes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Who has less bloatware: Lenovo or Asus? Can you just extract a windows key and do a clean install?

Is one obviously better for hardware quality in ~general~ without getting down to specific models?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Be warned on Asus gaming notebooks, they've had a bug(?) where the armory crate installer doesn't have all the correct profile stuff for the hardware so it can leave stuff in a partially broken state unless you save certain files before you reinstall.

Keys aren't really a thing anymore in newer windows versions. They are baked into the BIOS.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh interesting, so you just need to run a creation tool and you can do a fresh install?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

slidebite posted:

Oh interesting, so you just need to run a creation tool and you can do a fresh install?

Yup

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Been years since I bought a prebuilt other than my surface. I'm actually looking at an all-in-one for the Mrs and posted in this thread because it's probably the best fit out of the existing threads that I can see. Apologies if it's not.

Any thoughts on quality between them? I also see MSI makes some "decently" rated all-in-ones.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

slidebite posted:

Who has less bloatware: Lenovo or Asus? Can you just extract a windows key and do a clean install?

Is one obviously better for hardware quality in ~general~ without getting down to specific models?

Asus has very little bloatware, some Asus-specific stuff but its pretty lightweight and generally stuff you want.

I haven't dove deep with Lenovo but that looked similar. The better brands aren't bloatware loaded nearly to the extent they used to be.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

slidebite posted:

Been years since I bought a prebuilt other than my surface. I'm actually looking at an all-in-one for the Mrs and posted in this thread because it's probably the best fit out of the existing threads that I can see. Apologies if it's not.

Any thoughts on quality between them? I also see MSI makes some "decently" rated all-in-ones.

You eyeing any specific models? Gaming or no? Knowing that models you're looking at would help, or if you have a budget and use in mind then I can kinda point you in a direction.

Generally, Asus and Lenovo both are very high quality (for consumer, there is a difference between consumer and corporate, though I think its a lot closer these days and the difference is mostly around support and part availability) . Asus generally is more portable and Lenovo leans into more power but it depends on the model. Personally I like Asus quite a bit but mostly due to subjective design decisions.

MSI is decent, you usually get a lot for your money but less quality, kinda plasticy and creaky body, and not as good thermal handling. I would usually say under normal, non-baby use you probably can't count on getting more than 4 or so years out of them. That can be a good deal if you're getting a laptop for 30% less though.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2022

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I just ordered some consumer trash tier lenovo yoga something or other. I'm sure I'll hate it but at least it's a $1k mistake and not a $3k one like the XPS.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Man this may be the wrong thread but I didn't see a tablet-specific thread anywhere on the first page

So I have a Nanit for my newborn, and while I can watch the camera and do the things on my phone, I want to have a dedicated tablet to use around the house as a "baby monitor" - basically all it needs to be able to do is run the Nanit app, and everything else is cherry on top - generally looking at Galaxy tablets bc I have other Samsung Galaxy stuff and it all works p good. Just want a cheap one that gets the job done, but idk anything abt tablets so I'm open to whatever.

Without outside influence I'd buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094Q89NKH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Is there a reason I should look at any other tablet for this use case?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Android Tablet thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482

iPad thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

Neslepaks posted:

I just ordered some consumer trash tier lenovo yoga something or other. I'm sure I'll hate it but at least it's a $1k mistake and not a $3k one like the XPS.

Flex? I like those! My daughter has one. It's very consumery but generally I've been impressed with its durability and performance on the Ryzen CPU it has. It's chasis is real creeky and plasticy and the screen is mediocre, but I generally like it.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

It's called a Yoga Slim 7 here but I've been made aware that it's not called that in the US market so idkwtf, stupid rear end brand engineering. Anyway yeah it's a ryzen 7 5800U, 16g, 1t, 13.3" 1600p panel. Specwise it seems like a reasonable buy (he says, again...)

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

It doesn't even flip around which I thought was the whole point of the "yoga" branding, lol

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Lockback posted:

Android Tablet thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482

iPad thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

Flex? I like those! My daughter has one. It's very consumery but generally I've been impressed with its durability and performance on the Ryzen CPU it has. It's chasis is real creeky and plasticy and the screen is mediocre, but I generally like it.

Thank you!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Neslepaks posted:

It doesn't even flip around which I thought was the whole point of the "yoga" branding, lol

It's hot yoga, it flips around if you block the exhaust port.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Neslepaks posted:

Oh then I don't know what it is

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lockback posted:

You eyeing any specific models? Gaming or no? Knowing that models you're looking at would help, or if you have a budget and use in mind then I can kinda point you in a direction.

Generally, Asus and Lenovo both are very high quality (for consumer, there is a difference between consumer and corporate, though I think its a lot closer these days and the difference is mostly around support and part availability) . Asus generally is more portable and Lenovo leans into more power but it depends on the model. Personally I like Asus quite a bit but mostly due to subjective design decisions.

MSI is decent, you usually get a lot for your money but less quality, kinda plasticy and creaky body, and not as good thermal handling. I would usually say under normal, non-baby use you probably can't count on getting more than 4 or so years out of them. That can be a good deal if you're getting a laptop for 30% less though.
Still pretty early but I think I am narrowing it down to a Asus Zen 23.8 AIO

I live in :canada: so we get extra hosed on price, but I see a Ryzen 5-5500/512 SSD/16GB for just under $1K.

e: I could go cheaper than that, but then we start getting into total econo CPUs and/or 4GB RAM or reconditioned Dells or something.

That's more than I was looking to spend, BUT, the Lenovo AIO 3 I was looking at was the same price and had 8GB, i5-10400t and 256GB. I think I like a 5500U over a 10400t.

I was at first leaning towards the Lenovo because my corporate company issued AIO 8th gen has been pretty reliable if chuggy with a loving HDD.

Mrs. Slidebite really likes the AIO asthetic too, so we'll probably go that way. The Lenovo does have an optical drive, but I think I have a USB one somewhere if she really gets bent out of shape about it.

If the Asus Zen isn't garbage tier and absolutely stuffed with crap, I'll probably just go that way. She hasn't had a new computer in many, many years.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 19, 2022

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Canna Happy posted:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/o...ck&pStoreID=epp
Omen 17 with a 3070 is currently 850 with free shipping.

pixaal posted:

Mine got canceled today, which is unsurprising after how much attention the price mistake got.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

slidebite posted:

Still pretty early but I think I am narrowing it down to a Asus Zen 23.8 AIO

I live in :canada: so we get extra hosed on price, but I see a Ryzen 5-5500/512 SSD/16GB for just under $1K.

e: I could go cheaper than that, but then we start getting into total econo CPUs and/or 4GB RAM or reconditioned Dells or something.

That's more than I was looking to spend, BUT, the Lenovo AIO 3 I was looking at was the same price and had 8GB, i5-10400t and 256GB. I think I like a 5500U over a 10400t.

I was at first leaning towards the Lenovo because my corporate company issued AIO 8th gen has been pretty reliable if chuggy with a loving HDD.

Mrs. Slidebite really likes the AIO asthetic too, so we'll probably go that way. The Lenovo does have an optical drive, but I think I have a USB one somewhere if she really gets bent out of shape about it.

If the Asus Zen isn't garbage tier and absolutely stuffed with crap, I'll probably just go that way. She hasn't had a new computer in many, many years.

Ah, these are notable for not being laptops. I don't really know anything about the AIOs in general, but the specs you listed the Asus (with 2x the ram and a better CPU) will probably be a lot quicker.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah not a laptop lol

One thing I can't seem to c/d though, is would they use 2*8gb in dual channel or a single 16gb dimm.

It would be unfortunate if it's a single dimm. The Asus seems to be the least user serviceable/upgradeable compared to the Lenovo or MSI.

Not that I plan to take it apart but it seems from a YouTube vid I watched on swapping a drive the memory is soldered.

E: Found a review on a russian website that makes it looks like it's dual channel. 8GB Dimms, so 16 would be 8x2

https://epictech.ru/obzor-monobloka-asus-zen-aio-24-m5401/

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 19, 2022

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Im looking at buying a "new" used laptop. I bought my current x230 used in december 2014 and it has served me well, but its time to look for a replacement before it gives up. Given how well the x230 has performed lenovo has a special place in my heart, though Ive heard theyre not the same quality as before. I have been looking at t470 and t480, and also glancing att dell 7490. I think 8th gen i5 is good enough for me, I mostly run ableton and that has worked well with my x230. Recently I got a good price on a HP elitebook 840 g6. Should I stay clear of the HP, or is it a good buy, and are there any other models I should consider?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

uno.mannschaft posted:

Im looking at buying a "new" used laptop. I bought my current x230 used in december 2014 and it has served me well, but its time to look for a replacement before it gives up. Given how well the x230 has performed lenovo has a special place in my heart, though Ive heard theyre not the same quality as before. I have been looking at t470 and t480, and also glancing att dell 7490. I think 8th gen i5 is good enough for me, I mostly run ableton and that has worked well with my x230. Recently I got a good price on a HP elitebook 840 g6. Should I stay clear of the HP, or is it a good buy, and are there any other models I should consider?

Like most laptop brands, as long as you buy their business line they're generally okay. It looks like you're already doing it but 8th gen or newer is the call to make if you might run windows 11 in the next few years. I had a client get an HP Elitebook last year and it's been pretty solid. I would have tried to talk them out of it if it didn't seem pretty serviceable like most business laptops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I feel like everyone says "Thinkpads(or whatever) aren't as good as they used to be", that goes back years. T480 is a good laptop. I'd avoid the Dell latitude, personally. I always thought HPs were fine.

If your definitely going used I'd do the t480 unless the HP is generally nicer specs/cheaper. If so I'd go with that.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Thanks for the comments. Seems like Im good which ever I choose.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Lockback posted:

I feel like everyone says "Thinkpads(or whatever) aren't as good as they used to be", that goes back years. T480 is a good laptop. I'd avoid the Dell latitude, personally. I always thought HPs were fine.
I think their main problem is that they diluted their own brand by having "Thinkpad poo poo edition" in addition to "Thinkpad real edition (e.g. T series)". I mean it's a problem for their reputation now, but at the time it probably sold a whole bunch of Thinkpad poo poo edition.

Though also even the good ones are worse than they used to be, but that's not Thinkpad-specific, it's just computer hardware runs hotter and has more to go wrong now than it did ten years ago, plus too many half-assed drivers, etc. that have almost nothing to do with the hardware but make all computers feel worse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
HP's mass cancelling that deal from a few days ago, btw.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a legion 5 with a 5800H and rtx 3060 on it.

Been running cyberpunk 2077 - cpu temp is going up to 95c while playing, GPU is between 70-80 usually (which i think is fine). Is this CPU temperature something to be concerned about? AMD seeems to have a statement that temps of 90-95 are within expectations but y'know, other people say that's way too high.

I already tried a method of changing the registry to enable a hidden power setting and disabled boost mode, but it had absolutely zero impact on the temperature. Still running at 95c, still running at what looks like 60fps+ (haven't measured exactly). I don't think it actually did anything at all.

Am I fine or is there something else I can try? Everything is running really smoothly, it's just the heat I'm concerned about. I ordered a cooling pad anyway, even if it doesn't cool the CPU it will still work for me as a stand and some extra USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

HP's mass cancelling that deal from a few days ago, btw.

Yup, my order was cancelled last night. :rubshands: