Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My big worry is the Office stuff (I do a lot in PowerPoint and Excel). Are the equivalent programs basically clones, or at least similar UI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Macbook air is the best bet by a mile. Battery lasts for days, not hours, screen is amazing, its blazing fast.

That Lenovo is a decent deal, but I am not a big fan of IdeaPad's in general. What didn't you like about the Zenbook-S? If you thought it was cheap feeling you might get the same feeling with the ideapad. It's also not going to have a great battery life. It's not a particularly bad deal or anything.
Though this one is like $400 cheaper for almost the same thing
https://www.costco.com/.product.2222277.html

Hunting around for a Asus G14 is your other best bet, but $1000 is a struggle. If you keep your eyes open over the next 6 weeks or so I bet the 3060 will be around 1249 at some point. That's a really good specs and a good gaming machine with great battery life and and build quality. Very different from the zenbook in that. But yeah, that's over your budget.

GD_American posted:

My big worry is the Office stuff (I do a lot in PowerPoint and Excel). Are the equivalent programs basically clones, or at least similar UI?

You can just use office?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/mac/microsoft-365-for-mac

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
hello again thread,

after consider Lockback's input i think i'm going with this 2021 asus zephyrus g15 model: https://shop.asus.com/us/rog/90nr04x2-m02870-ga503qm.html

not excited about the 8gb ram but it looks easy enough to expand. also wish it had a numpad but the only laptops i found that i liked were 17 inches or too thick/heavy.

THE SUPPLICANT COMES SEEKING APPROVAL

i saw asus announced their new 2022 lineup. i have to admit the MUX switch looks nice (my wife's sony vaio has a similar switch) but it's not clear if it's necessary. i assume if you're just chillin on the desktop doing work stuff that it's running at reasonable temps/battery life. i thought the manual switches were an unneeded relic of the past to be honest.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

GD_American posted:

I've never touched a Mac. I'm not saying no, but how steep is the learning curve from someone who's been in the Microsoft sphere since DOS 5.0?
I used a mac laptop for my job for a while, and I did not like it, but most of the things I dislike have now been adopted by every other laptop except serious Thinkpads, but also even worse than the mac. For example, large trackpad with no buttons, keyboard with half the important keys missing. Two-finger scroll gesture really wants to be inverted and if you configure it the "not phone" way up some things ignore that setting making it even worse than flipping your brain because now you can't rely on it being either way up.

When I say "even worse" I mean when you get any other laptop that has done the poo poo trackpad move, it too will come with wrongly configured gestures, but also they won't work at all some fraction of the time, and the pressure-click requires too much force that reduces your precision, and it will think you're tapping the trackpad when you're typing much more, and other physical fuckups. Apple started the horrible design that I hate, but if you *must* have that horrible design, Apple does it way better than anyone else.

But I think you're asking more about the operating system, which, yeah, it doesn't take much to get used to macos or linux or chromeos or windows these days, it's all basically the same except for where they put the button to close a window, what they call the command line window, and what they call the file browsing tool.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Lockback posted:

What didn't you like about the Zenbook-S? If you thought it was cheap feeling

Well, I thought it was fantastic out of the box, but the first time I typed on it without being on a perfectly flat surface (ie, my lap), it actually bent the frame, and I've had screen issues ever since. Two keys are gone, and now the power supply is acting up. I know it sounds like I'm jumping on my laptop like the gorilla from the suitcase commercial, but I think I just really got a lemon.

ahaha see this what dates me. I had no idea

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

the nucas posted:

hello again thread,

Yeah, the g15 is nice. My complaint about them is they don't get sales nearly as often.

Muc switches are cool but configurable graphics works generally decently now so I don't really miss em.

GD_American posted:

Well, I thought it was fantastic out of the box, but the first time I typed on it without being on a perfectly flat surface (ie, my lap), it actually bent the frame, and I've had screen issues ever since. Two keys are gone, and now the power supply is acting up. I know it sounds like I'm jumping on my laptop like the gorilla from the suitcase commercial, but I think I just really got a lemon.

ahaha see this what dates me. I had no idea

Ideapad will feel a lot like the ZenPad, but it shouldn't fall apart like that. I'd really say you'll be happier with a step up in build quality. That t14 deal would have been great but the MacBook is basically exactly what you want except not windows. Get one from somewhere where you can return it but give it a week.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think there's a version of Ms office for Mac? I've been using Google docs etc for so long I really wouldn't know. The company I work for is worth the GDP of most small countries and all they use is g suite, if it's good enough for them it may have the capacity to meet your needs, but I know some people are very invested in their toolset

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Office 365 installs work on Macs, it's linked above.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I believe Excel for Mac still doesn't support OLAP so just lol :fuckoff:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah if you are at all advanced in excel use Mac excel is tragic but if you're just doing it to make nice tables and charts and do some basic spreadsheet work it's fine

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Eh, that might be a dealbreaker since I use Analytic Solver a good bit.

I actually forgot I'm on my fourth Zenbook. I gave my first one to my Dad, who (weirdly enough) came to give it back to me this morning. So I at least have a functionally typing computer for a bit. Still in the market though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm trying to convince myself it's dumb to replace my XPS13 with the ROG Flow Z13 (especially when I have the G15 and I have a Steamdeck reservation).

The will is weak though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GD_American posted:

Eh, that might be a dealbreaker since I use Analytic Solver a good bit.

I actually forgot I'm on my fourth Zenbook. I gave my first one to my Dad, who (weirdly enough) came to give it back to me this morning. So I at least have a functionally typing computer for a bit. Still in the market though.

If you have a office 365 cloud then Analytic Solver will work fine, but yeah if you need to go into the weeds on some of those tools and you can't use the cloud versions that might be a problem.

bull3964 posted:

I'm trying to convince myself it's dumb to replace my XPS13 with the ROG Flow Z13 (especially when I have the G15 and I have a Steamdeck reservation).

The will is weak though.

It looks cool as hell and almost totally pointless but I also have a steam deck reservation so I am a poor person to argue against impulse control.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing that got me about the Z13 is so far the impressions have said it's still nearly silent when running full tilt, it runs off 100w USB-C charging, and the nature of the design means it wouldn't be a lap heater (vents out the back.)

A machine with in-between graphics performance (relative to the Steamdeck and my G15) would totally be an edge use case purchase, but I could ALMOST justify it by saying it would replace portable windows machine duty.

We'll see how it actually reviews and what the price will be when it comes out.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

the nucas posted:

hello again thread,

after consider Lockback's input i think i'm going with this 2021 asus zephyrus g15 model: https://shop.asus.com/us/rog/90nr04x2-m02870-ga503qm.html

not excited about the 8gb ram but it looks easy enough to expand. also wish it had a numpad but the only laptops i found that i liked were 17 inches or too thick/heavy.

THE SUPPLICANT COMES SEEKING APPROVAL

i saw asus announced their new 2022 lineup. i have to admit the MUX switch looks nice (my wife's sony vaio has a similar switch) but it's not clear if it's necessary. i assume if you're just chillin on the desktop doing work stuff that it's running at reasonable temps/battery life. i thought the manual switches were an unneeded relic of the past to be honest.

Huh. Razer is going with a mux on one of their new designs too. That's really weird. Previously the big reason you'd want a hardware switch for graphics was because vrr wasn't compatible with Optimus since you had to pipe everything through the igpu.

Nvidia announced they solved that problem awhile back though, and modern igpus from both Intel and amd should support vrr, so why a bunch of laptops with muxes now that they aren't needed?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Battery life is getting more competitive and software control of GPUs needs a little more care and feeding. Mux is more cut and dry and will generate better battery life numbers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VRR isn't the issue, that works pretty much across the board with both AMD and Intel stuff (my G15 uses Freesync for VRR even with a nvidia GPU since it's piped through the iGPU.)

The issue is every single review of a 2021 Asus product had a blurb of "It's a shame Asus didn't feel the need to include a MUX switch at this price point since these are enthusiasts devices that value eliminating the performance overhead."

There were also numerous videos comparing all the Asus gaming line against those with MUX switches and going "See!!! You lose 10% of the framerate compared to others, you should buy those."

Basically, it's a response to try to reach people who wouldn't consider their products without a MUX switch.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

VRR isn't the issue, that works pretty much across the board with both AMD and Intel stuff (my G15 uses Freesync for VRR even with a nvidia GPU since it's piped through the iGPU.)

The issue is every single review of a 2021 Asus product had a blurb of "It's a shame Asus didn't feel the need to include a MUX switch at this price point since these are enthusiasts devices that value eliminating the performance overhead."

There were also numerous videos comparing all the Asus gaming line against those with MUX switches and going "See!!! You lose 10% of the framerate compared to others, you should buy those."

Basically, it's a response to try to reach people who wouldn't consider their products without a MUX switch.

What products with mux switches were they even comparing against? Until right now they've been virtually non-existent outside of some really obscure boutique poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, I misspoke. They mostly compared it against itself, internal vs external monitor (since the displayport lanes in the USB-C connection bypassed the iGPU.)

But there were tons of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzVgUS6l-8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWies_4oDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msh5tXdsFhY

Etc. But actually there was a decent selection of devices with MUX switches over the past two years. Legion devices come to mind.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

What products with mux switches were they even comparing against? Until right now they've been virtually non-existent outside of some really obscure boutique poo poo.

They're not too uncommon anymore. Lenovo's gaming laptops all come with mux switches, for instance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My laptop gets louds and hot if I'm using it while it's charging the battery. Is there a way to maybe slow down the charging speed so it runs a bit cooler?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

My laptop gets louds and hot if I'm using it while it's charging the battery. Is there a way to maybe slow down the charging speed so it runs a bit cooler?

Some laptops have charge limiters that stop the charging at 60% or so unless you tell it to go fully. You can check if there's a toolset. For Asus it's the myasus app that controls that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. I do have that option (in Dell Power Manager), but that's not really what I was looking for.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Rinkles posted:

Is it actually the speed of the charging making it hot, or is it some power configuration that makes it more willing to run in "high power mode" while plugged in?

The settings I'm thinking of are pretty awkward to find.

Start from "power and sleep settings", clck "additional power settings", try "change plan settings" next to whichever power plan is selected, then "change advanced power settings", then finally in that list of junk there's things like, for me, "Intel(R) graphics settings" which expands down to "on battery: maximum performance / plugged in: maximum performance", which you could change to balanced or maximum battery life to signify that you'd prefer it to run more gently. A whole bunch of such things that might be getting set to "go nuts" when plugged in that would cause more heat.

vvvv Fair enough. That's surprising, computers usually generate way more heat from running than from battery-charging. I expect *phones* to get hot from battery-charging.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 8, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's specifically the charging, because it quiets down when it hits 100% battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dave2d goes over Asus's whole new lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdBTkgtnTsw

Doesn't really have anything bad to say about the bunch and hints that the Dash and TUF lines this year are going to be something special.

He's also very smitten with the Flow Z13.

I do think though that the G14 is going to also be a real standout this year if you are willing to pay for the premium device. Higher wattage, double vapor chamber, 16:10 ghosting free screen. Just curious how that AMD gpu actually performs.

I'm guessing the design improvements of the G14 are going to filter down to the G15 for 2023 as this year the G15 is largely unchanged aside from newer CPUs GPUs and boosting the wattage.

This video did nothing to keep thoughts of buying the Z13 out of my head.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AMD GPUs are fine, good choices for laptops. The biggest downside is inferior DLSS/Ray-tracing but that's probably not going to be quite as noticeable for most portable gaming. I am a bit concerned about the higher wattage in the G14 though, both in heat and battery.

Z13 is neato, but I am more interested in what the lower end ones end up looking like. i9 just seems kinda dumb on there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really don't think the higher wattage is going to matter as far as battery goes with how badly Asus nerfs the GPU when it's running on battery. As far as heat, they upgraded the cooling so we'll see.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The z13 looks kind of miserable to use as an actual laptop, both because of the weight being all in the top and the keyboard looks... tragic.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For those 17" homies this is a screaming good deal on a 17" gaming HP Omen with a 3060 for $1000 at Microcenter.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...16GB_DDR4-3200_

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pixaal posted:

Lenovo Legion you can switch power profiles with an FN combo and that changes the power LED color.

Max power on battery is how you get to 20% battery during the opening cinematic.

But to the point that was raised, you can't enable full power mode on battery.
(Or even with anything less than a 230W PSU.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

But to the point that was raised, you can't enable full power mode on battery.
(Or even with anything less than a 230W PSU.)

When your laptop isn't thermally limited by the cou/GPU, but instead the thermal discharge rate of the battery :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

When your laptop isn't thermally limited by the cou/GPU, but instead the thermal discharge rate of the battery :allears:

They should use some of those RC lipo cells, fully discharge your laptop in just 5 minutes!

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
hey thread,

just noticed this lenovo legion 7 slim went back on sale at bestbuy.

i actually just ordered this myself saturday and got it price matched but thought i'd let everyone know. was going to pull the trigger on an asus for my wife but i used my dr. strange ability to peer into futures to see she'd hate not having a numpad and saw lockback had recommended this brand previously. haven't had time to mess with it much but at a glace seems quite nice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah it's real nice, and that's a great price. Asus G14 is better as a portable, legion is probably the best for all around use at that price point.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hadlock posted:

If you got any description in your driver update at all you're doing pretty good

Most companies employ one driver guy, and one apprentice, in case that guy unexpectedly dies. And people who write drivers for a living make your average goon look like a late night talk show host

lol this job always sounded fun to me, rip

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/o...ck&pStoreID=epp

Omen 17 with a 3070 is currently 850 with free shipping.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 15, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wow, that's a better deal than anything I saw on Black Friday

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Rinkles posted:

Wow, that's a better deal than anything I saw on Black Friday

Yeah, I bought one. Too good to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

How are you getting $850? I'm seeing $989.