Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

See how it works? One goon’s garbage is another goon’s grail. I’ve learned enough to let other people like what they like even if they like stuff I think is actually awful.

Then why are you public enemy number one in the EV thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

drgitlin posted:

See how it works? One goon’s garbage is another goon’s grail. I’ve learned enough to let other people like what they like even if they like stuff I think is actually awful.

Objectively, the best cars are the completely poo poo ones owned by other people.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

Objectively, the best cars are the completely poo poo ones owned by other people.

Everyone wants to drive a beater till it's time to do beater poo poo.

like holding the door shut while you drive home because it won't latch.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you dont like a Panther platform car with a dirty big gently caress off supercharged V8 there's no goddamn hope for you.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

I will never not enjoy having snow fly through my weatherstripping :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you dont like a Panther platform car with a dirty big gently caress off supercharged V8 there's no goddamn hope for you.

V10 fits too

Gives you dozens more horsepower.

Dozens!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

there is beater...... then there is shitbox

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

Being stranded downtown on a Wednesday at 10pm after being at the bar, because that loving ignition module died again, and you have your tools because beater, but the new part you ordered an extra of LAST TIME this loving thing broke is still on the shelf in the garage at home, so you have to call your friend who just left the same bar you were at and get him to turn around and give you a ride way the gently caress back out to your place to grab the part and then drive all the way back into town and replace the part in the dark and rain to just get the loving car home...

But you still have the car because Pop. Up. Headlights.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Powershift posted:

Lol, just lol, if you don't duct-tape the whole car and hope the exhaust doesn't burn through it until you get home and can screw that rusty hasp which has been sitting under the porch for a year to the door.

Extra lol if you don't want to double-clutch up and down while never coming off the gas more than half-way (it will stall), keeping an eye out so you can use a combo of engine braking and e-brake to stop.

She's too far gone, she ain't gonna be right, and your neighbor really needs a car. RIP, Sentra 1989-2002.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

Being stranded downtown on a Wednesday at 10pm after being at the bar, because that loving ignition module died again, and you have your tools because beater, but the new part you ordered an extra of LAST TIME this loving thing broke is still on the shelf in the garage at home, so you have to call your friend who just left the same bar you were at and get him to turn around and give you a ride way the gently caress back out to your place to grab the part and then drive all the way back into town and replace the part in the dark and rain to just get the loving car home...

But you still have the car because Pop. Up. Headlights.

Beater life, buuuuuuuddy. :downs::respek::downs:

glow plugs ain't gonna warm themselves up.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I've been taken for a ride in a Morgan 3 wheeler, they're hilarious and terrifying and sure as poo poo don't need more than the 80 odd horsepower they come with. You don't drag them, you fart around British backroads for which they're already way too fast. That said, I wouldn't buy one, too expensive.

Also,

I like french cars, does that make me.... a ouiaboo?

no, it makes me mentally ill :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Grakkus posted:

I've been taken for a ride in a Morgan 3 wheeler, they're hilarious and terrifying and sure as poo poo don't need more than the 80 odd horsepower they come with. You don't drag them, you fart around British backroads for which they're already way too fast. That said, I wouldn't buy one, too expensive.

Also,

fleeaboo

or brieaboo, i guess

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Grakkus posted:

Also,

You needn't EVER be ashamed of your love for the little green sphere.

Also, is your white car the same one as in the early part of, Killing Zöe, in the tunnel? "Do you like French cars?"

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Elviscat posted:

The Crown Victoria is a huge, cheap, floaty barge that is comfortable, practical, and extremely reliable though, that's a lot of good qualities.

Plus you can buy a fleet of them for less than a Morgan three-wheeler.

they make you look like a cop

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that’s a bad thing btw

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

that’s a bad thing btw

Nah. People move to the right and you get to scare the piss out of all your friends the first time you show up at their houses. This is, how you say, a win.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

madeintaipei posted:

Lol, just lol, if you don't duct-tape the whole car and hope the exhaust doesn't burn through it until you get home and can screw that rusty hasp which has been sitting under the porch for a year to the door.

Extra lol if you don't want to double-clutch up and down while never coming off the gas more than half-way (it will stall), keeping an eye out so you can use a combo of engine braking and e-brake to stop.

She's too far gone, she ain't gonna be right, and your neighbor really needs a car. RIP, Sentra 1989-2002.

"I used the heavy duty duct tape, because I have errands to run before I can get it to the mechanic. What? No, it's fine, I have the rest of the roll with me."

"Oh yeah, sometimes it pops out of gear when stopped on hills, so you have to be prepared to left foot brake. What clutch pedal? It's an automatic."

"The hood latch is a bit touchy, but if you pop the interior latch and then slam your fist right above the emblem like you're the Fonz, it pops right open. Eeeeeey!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Temporary fixes become permanent fixes once you've got enough of them.

It's like a subway punch card.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I mean, it's fixed for now, and there's more important things that need to be fixed now that the roof isn't leaking

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bulgakov posted:

This is a fair argument....

.....if it were still 2010.

Actual cop car vic's actually turn my head nowadays.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeeh, Explorers are what makes everyone drop 10mph these days.

I still double check when I see a vic but that fear has started to fade. Though the sheriffs in my county still have a number of them on the road.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In CT towns still use vics as detective cars and the state uses them as sheriff cars. Both not exclusively, though. They always seem pretty new looking, too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Austin still has some navy blue "stealth" crown Vics with lettering on the side that's only visible from directly to the side of the car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL Ouiaboo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

The cool thing about electric motors is it doesn't take a bunch of engineering and fancy materials and Hans FLUGGAENKOECCHICEBOLSEN personally caressing all the most intimate inner workings of the valvetrain to make a ton of power. You just need more motor, more battery, so every car should be able to be supercar fast, at least in a straight line, for only a little more money. The supercar should be on the same skateboard as the hatchback.

Not quite. You can absolutely optimize and hand-fiddle electric motors. From the first version of the Tesla Roadster with 250hp/270nm to the final Roadster Sport with 290hp/400nm, that was mostly due to improvements in the motors, better windings and such.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Then why are you public enemy number one in the EV thread?

Because Phony Stark is a false prophet.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Not quite. You can absolutely optimize and hand-fiddle electric motors. From the first version of the Tesla Roadster with 250hp/270nm to the final Roadster Sport with 290hp/400nm, that was mostly due to improvements in the motors, better windings and such.

These will be the Ferrari motors of the EV world in the future. The secret cost savings of reluctance motors are out, which a way less customizable.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgakov posted:

I want a Hellcat Charger with a brush guard and spotlight

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

um excuse me posted:

These will be the Ferrari motors of the EV world in the future. The secret cost savings of reluctance motors are out, which a way less customizable.

Of course, but its a stage trick compared to the black voodoo art of getting as much air into an ICE without it blowing up or needing a complete rebuild every 1000 km while also staying under emissions. I would imagine theyd be much more reliable as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Of course, but its a stage trick compared to the black voodoo art of getting as much air into an ICE without it blowing up or needing a complete rebuild every 1000 km while also staying under emissions. I would imagine theyd be much more reliable as well.

Instead you're going to get black voodoo art of being able to run 30% lighter windings for the same power output, figuring out how to run the motor 10% faster while maintaining effective cooling so the motor doesn't turn itself to slag, getting the case as small as physically possible for weight reduction and increasing cargo volume, and the deep loving wizardry of power electronics.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

if you have to hold it closed you're not driving that beater fast enough :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Brings back memories of holding the frozen door closed 10 miles at 65 mph so I could have intimate relations with my lady friend.

At least it was an automatic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I get that the guy is an industrial designer, but holy poo poo you could lift houses with that structure.

um excuse me posted:

I...uh...well...hmm

I suppose there are exceptions to any rule.

Kettenkrads rule.

drgitlin posted:

This forum is full of people who idolize Crown Victorias. Complaining that a car is poo poo just turns on people who love poo poo cars.

T1g4h posted:

Are you implying the Crown Vic is a poo poo car? Because buddy, you and I are gonna have words :colbert:

Yeah, man, what the hell?
V8. Sedan. Roomy. Comfy. Sledgehammer simple. Too goddamned big to park

Bulgakov posted:

Less so than driving a Taurus, Tahoe, Explorer, or Dodge Charger.
And no it's not. People move over. It's kinda nice (until it's crowded and they all slow down without moving over...)

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Brings back memories of holding the frozen door closed 10 miles at 65 mph so I could have intimate relations with my lady friend.

I'm chosing to believe you mean during, rather than en-route to.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Father Jack posted:

I'm chosing to believe you mean during, rather than en-route to.

That my friend is why god created automatic transmissions.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Why do you think the old 2 speed Powerglide earned the nickname "Slip and Go"?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Because Phony Stark is a false prophet.

How very dare you deny them their belief in their lord and savior.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
part 2 of the Project Binky van

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0bHi-JFiQ&hd=1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Phony Stark made me chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is less produced than Binky, but I still love it. They still swear at cars like normal humans!